Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I wish SSSS.Dynazenon had a mystery on par with SSSS.Gridman's. Conversely, I wish Gridman had Dynazenon's likable cast.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
How bout the kids smoking in Pinocchio.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
What of it?
Honestly, I'm glad that Synchro-Vox was never used much after its introduction in the 1950s with Clutch Cargo. I just find it unnerving to see a voice actor's actual mouth when they voice a character in said cartoons like that.
I think it was an interesting experiment that nevertheless was better off being a product of its time.

At least one Cambria production that didn't bother with Synchro-Vox was The New 3 Stooges.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I think there's enough potential for a Danny Phantom TV film continuation though without Hartman's involvement, given his reputation in recent years

Pooky

Staff member
I like the second season of Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat about as much as the first. I don't think I'd particularly guess there was a lot of strife and retooling behind the scenes if I hadn't read as much. There are some differences between the two seasons (Charlie Adler and the occasional Poindexter appearances being the most notable additions), but they're about typical for the time, not as radical as, say, the differences between the first two Johnny Bravo seasons.

(I don't know if you could really consider any opinion about TTOFTC to be "unpopular" in 2021, more of a niche within a niche, but as far as I can tell what fans there are tend to prefer one season over the other and the first seems to be the more popular of the two)

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I like the second season of Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat about as much as the first. I don't think I'd particularly guess there was a lot of strife and retooling behind the scenes if I hadn't read as much. There are some differences between the two seasons (Charlie Adler and the occasional Poindexter appearances being the most notable additions), but they're about typical for the time, not as radical as, say, the differences between the first two Johnny Bravo seasons.

Speaking of Johnny Bravo, I didn't mind the show's second season, i.e., the Kirk Tingblad/Russel Callabrese episodes. I know a lot of people (including some posters here from when I was posting previously) hated JB's second season with a passion, but I thought it was OK. Not all of the jokes landed, but there were some bright spots (I liked the character of Pops; he had this dry sense of humor that you don't often see on kids' shows) and I have to at least give the producers for trying to expand the show's horizons. Johnny Bravo came onto Cartoon Network with a built-in disadvantage; the other Cartoon-Cartoons had these wild, way-out, unique premises and characters, compare those to Johnny Bravo, which once you strip it down to its' basic skeleton, is just a show about a guy trying to score.

Pooky

Staff member
At the time I found Season 2 immediately off-putting and disliked Carl in particular. I might have had a more measured response had I been a bit older. I did see some Tingblad-era episodes years afterwards that I found quite funny.

Ppg 2016 isn’t that bad, by no means is it good, it sorta feels like powerpuff girls for cartoonito, but at least it doesn’t go out of its way to spite people unlike ttg, Ben 10 2016 is in the same boat although I find ppg more inconsistent and Ben 10 more boring

basically ppg 2016 is a little bit of a guilty pleasure even if it’s not too great in any sense

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
The 2009 Nickelodeon logo isn't bad, it just...feels soulless compared to the splat logo.

I tried to like it so many times over the years, and I just can't. I don't find it all that appealing.

Even though I do remember the 2009 rebrand with fondness (to some extent anyway), the current logo doesn't resonate with me at all.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Ppg 2016 isn’t that bad, by no means is it good, it sorta feels like powerpuff girls for cartoonito, but at least it doesn’t go out of its way to spite people unlike ttg, Ben 10 2016 is in the same boat although I find ppg more inconsistent and Ben 10 more boring

basically ppg 2016 is a little bit of a guilty pleasure even if it’s not too great in any sense
The only thing I like about Ben 10's 2016 rendition is that Ben and Gwen get along a lot better than in the original series (the very first one, that is.). Too bad nothing else lives up to that one plus side of Ben 10 (2016), which is that it doesn't look good for what is supposedly an action/adventure series and its writing, outside of Ben and Gwen getting along better, is below acceptable standards especially for said genre.

user313856

The only thing I like about Ben 10's 2016 rendition is that Ben and Gwen get along a lot better than in the original series (the very first one, that is.). Too bad nothing else lives up to that one plus side of Ben 10 (2016), which is that it doesn't look good for what is supposedly an action/adventure series and its writing, outside of Ben and Gwen getting along better, is below acceptable standards especially for said genre.
A youtuber (The Ink Tank), who is a huge fan of the Ben 10 franchise, and has made videos commenting on every episode of the original series (I recommend checking his videos going through the entire classic series). He loves the original series for the action, animation, cool and creative aliens, and so on. And while he likes the characters, he also honestly admits that the character writing in the classic series can be very frustrating. Not only Gwen and Ben fighting all the time, but how the characters' development and maturing is consistenly reset, just so they can learn the same lessons again, and again, and again...

He calls that out very often. And characters can be very OOC if an episode wants to give some heavy-handed moral. It seems to me that he often points these elements as the biggest weaknesses of the show, and (if I'm not remembering wrongly) what holds it back from being potentially a masterpiece, all-time great like BTAS or Avatar - The Last Airbender. I feel he would be understanding of anyone who really dislikes Ben 10 because of its problematic character writing.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Speaking of Johnny Bravo, I didn't mind the show's second season, i.e., the Kirk Tingblad/Russel Callabrese episodes. I know a lot of people (including some posters here from when I was posting previously) hated JB's second season with a passion, but I thought it was OK. Not all of the jokes landed, but there were some bright spots (I liked the character of Pops; he had this dry sense of humor that you don't often see on kids' shows) and I have to at least give the producers for trying to expand the show's horizons. Johnny Bravo came onto Cartoon Network with a built-in disadvantage; the other Cartoon-Cartoons had these wild, way-out, unique premises and characters, compare those to Johnny Bravo, which once you strip it down to its' basic skeleton, is just a show about a guy trying to score.
Yeah, the Johnny Bravo "revivals" are so much better than Dexter's Laboratory's revival. I really liked season 1-3 of Johnny Bravo. I didn't like season 4 as much because of the many cameos of people I didn't know.

Sam the Cartoonist

I actually enjoy watching Total Dramarama. Since I was never a avid viewer of the Total Drama franchise, I didn't feel the same disappointment most fans did when they got this spinoff show instead another season of the regular series. So I am able to enjoy the product as a fun, goofy slice-of-life cartoon which does have quite a few witty lines and references, especially from Chef.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't agree with Jesuotaku's jab towards Korra when he unfavourably compared her to Anakin Skywalker as well as calling her by that four-letter word that starts with a C.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I'm really not a big fan of shows about taking beloved properties and turned into sugary, hyper fast, wacky, goofy comedies.

I get that I'm not in the target audience for that, but it felt so pandering to me.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
When making a remake or a reboot of an existing property, the previous source material should be a rough guide, not some holy text that cannot be changed or contradicted. I would rather a creator try to put a new spin on an old property rather than trying to slavishly reproduce something from the 80s for kids today.

the greenman

When making a remake or a reboot of an existing property, the previous source material should be a rough guide, not some holy text that cannot be changed or contradicted. I would rather a creator try to put a new spin on an old property rather than trying to slavishly reproduce something from the 80s for kids today.
I agree, but done with respect. I mean 21 Jump Street was obviously an action drama tv series. Though Lord& Miller spun it into a homage worthy of respect of the original. Even some of the original cast showed up.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm tired of the complicated ownership issues relating to the Masters of the Universe in recent years (i.e. He-Man unable to appear in SPOP, She-Ra unable to appear in Revelations etc).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts