Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I do think a lot of it's reputation is related to the audience ageing between the two shows. I don't know if it was a great show, but there are a few episodes I remember as if I had seen them a couple of months ago rather than 20 years ago, which I can't say for every show.
Really? Weird. Last time I saw Disney's Doug was in 2007 and my memories of it are very blurry.

Pooky

Staff member
Really? Weird. Last time I saw Disney's Doug was in 2007 and my memories of it are very blurry.

The episodes I remember really well are:
. Doug trying to convince his parents he's mature enough to see an R-rated movie
. Doug worrying about his hairline(!)
. Patty and the other girls developing eating disorder after they learn about fat cells from a filmstrip in biology class

I also remember the first episode pretty well, but I saw that one several times for some reason.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I don't like how some people (or more specifically anime fans) bash cartoons (especially modern) for having "bad" art styles, while praising anime for apparently making "cute" anime. IMHO, I may not have liked all of modern western animation art styles, but I appreciate that they try more to experiment with different art styles, whenever most modern animes have same generic style. They probably don't like modern western animation because 12 year old girls aren't over sexualized like in most modern anime and that children's cartoons don't "appeal" to them and compared them to adult anime.

creator

Yeah, I think Disney’s Doug retained most of the themes of the original. It was still stories of a kid making everyday situations feel larger than life. My issue with the Disney version is that the art style felt too sterile and polished. The original art was scribbly and inconsistent which meshed well with Doug’s fictional perception of the world. I often miss that hand drawn feeling in animation.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I don't like how some people (or more specifically anime fans) bash cartoons (especially modern) for having "bad" art styles, while praising anime for apparently making "cute" anime. IMHO, I may not have liked all of modern western animation art styles, but I appreciate that they try more to experiment with different art styles, whenever most modern animes have same generic style. They probably don't like modern western animation because 12 year old girls aren't over sexualized like in most modern anime and that children's cartoons don't "appeal" to them and compared them to adult anime.

Out of wholehearted agreement, I have this to say...

THANK YOU for getting it. As for what I have to personally add on the matter (and apologies if anyone gets angry at this - this is not directed at anyone here, but at those who don't respect Western animation outside of here, more than anything...)... Yeah.

This crap alone is a key factor (amongst many others) in why I have a built up hatred of 95 to 98% of anime made, especially nowadays. Or, as a result, pushed me away from giving Japanese animation more of a chance than I do Western animation on a regular basis, ever again. And yes, as cruel as this sounds, I blame it on those who obsess over and worship it, while holding an unfair bias towards Western animation in general for the dumbest and most unfair of reasons, too.

Personally, it's not just that most anime out there made nowadays just doesn't appeal to me anymore like it used to (especially in the 80s thru late 00s, to be exact.), it's also the elitist fanbases and whatever else surrounding just about any anime you can think of by name that treat not some, but ALL Western animation and fans of such (myself, for a major example!) like we're nothing, trash, or nothing but trash, or even better, call us autistic or tell us we have crap (or worse) taste when we don't watch and immediately obsess or worship whatever anime is popular at the time, or something like that..... UGH.
I. HATE. THIS. I hate this crappy mentality and behavior oh so doggone much.

And YES. OH. GOD. YES - you CAN blame places like 4chan/YouTube/numerous social media for perpetuating this crap, especially the whole "CalArts == Garbage" statements and "East is better at everything than West" arguments that come out of there, regularly ad verbatim.

It's outright sad, stupid, and unfair how almost everyone outside of here trashes Western animation for not being 100% like anime, nowadays. And I do mean real sad, stupid, and unfair how most of the internet does justifies this wrongful mentality and behavior without giving Western animation the chance it deserves, like ANY OTHER MEDIUM OUT THERE besides what they obsess over and worship while trashing everything else different from that, thank you very much.

I wish more people appreciated and actually respected Western animation like you guys and myself actually do, more than anything. It personally makes me sick seeing Western animation getting dragged through the mud because it's not 100% more like anime by 4chan/YouTube/numerous social media and whatever ilk that can't see whether it's east, west, north, or south - animation is animation, no matter where it comes from. Some just do it different than others and how no one truly understands that to this day makes me sick to my stomach, honestly.

I'd also like to point out that anyone who makes "CalArts == Garbage" statements and "East is better at everything than West" arguments, ever? I have no respect for nor tolerance to put up with you for more than half a minute. As far as I'm concerned, doing any of this disrespectful crap shows me personally that YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. That's what's TRUTH, more than anything.

Now, as for (a) proper unpopular opinions (and as usual, forget the haters!):

1) Bob's Burgers is the best animated sitcom of the 2010s, hands down. Prove me wrong, if you must. Just know I'll humbly disagree with you, unfortunately.
I'm admit I'm developing similar feelings toward Central Park, but I don't see it becoming an all-time favorite like Bob's Burgers has for me, despite overall having a far superior first season, compared to Bob's Burgers, whose first season did pretty much suck, sadly.

2) Duncanville would be a much better show if it got a name change and was only about about Annie, her Husband, and their adopted daughter (Jing). Duncan and Kimberly are worthless characters and getting rid of them (which is what I would do if I was in control of it, right away!) would make this show suck so much less for me, personally.

3) Bless the Harts is actually pretty great, despite its artstyle taking some getting used to; at least the show is trying to look different from what everyone is used to, so respect for that.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
For some reason, I could never get into Avatar: The Last Airbender. In my opinion, the show didn't appeal to me. Maybe it's because I remember regular anime instead when it comes to overall storyline.
I respect your opinion.

I never really liked the idea of killing off Homer's mother Mona in The Simpsons. It was a rather bad conclusion to his storyline with her.

Pooky

Staff member
I never really liked the idea of killing off Homer's mother Mona in The Simpsons. It was a rather bad conclusion to his storyline with her.

I didn't necessarily object to her dying, but turning the second half of the episode into a cliche James Bond parody about scattering her ashes sticks in my mind as a particularly tasteless moment in the shows' history.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I didn't necessarily object to her dying, but turning the second half of the episode into a cliche James Bond parody about scattering her ashes sticks in my mind as a particularly tasteless moment in the shows' history.
Quite right and the show did a much better Bond parody eleven years prior, which was "You Only Move Twice".

I consider Rocket Power to be one of the most underrated Nicktoons.

Zanneck

I know I've said this before somewhere else, but I must stand by it...

Dreamworks' Home isn't forgettable, it's just plain downright terrible:

* Tip and Oh as MCs don't have that strong duo chemistry to make things work; neither character is that likable by themselves, especially Oh himself!

* Ignoring Rihanna's singing (Seriously, I don't like how Musical Hell (a YouTube channel I've grown to love.), hasn't tackled this film yet for this noise!), Tip's only defining trait is that she has a good character design, but lacks a good character overall, save for the whole wanting to get back with her mom thing. Speaking of which...

* Lucy, Tip's mom, feels more like some pretty - looking macguffin (which she sadly is!) for the so-called heroes to collect, moreso than an actual character worth something or with her own voice in the matters going on around her and anyone else.

* The story behind everything, especially the alien invasion makes no sense, especially when you remember that the US Military system and similar others would never, ever, allow itself (or themselves) to get beat that easily by aliens of any kind - no, not never!
I could go into a long - winded explanation of why, but I've said enough on this matter.

* Smek being the villain for the evening as some cheapo twist is further bonus points against this sad excuse of a film, as well.

* Furthermore, the so-called villain in this film that we were supposed to be weary of (that armored starfish dork) wasn't a villain to begin with and doesn't come close to being imposing in that sense, either, like they want us to orherwise think it is, too.

I've only got one thing to say beyond all this... All these reasons and more is why I prefer the 4-season animated series Netflix picked up for it, Home: Adventures with Tip and Oh, instead. My reasoning? Here you go:

* Oh is somewhat more tolerable and is actually allowed to be likable, unlike the movie

* Tip has a flawed, but believable character for someone her age, instead of what the film forced on us. None of Rihanna's crappy singing everywhere, either.

* Lucy, the mom, goes from being some object to obtain to an actually great character and easily the best character on the show (IMHO), due to having the most character development throughout the show's 4-season run, to boot.

* Some of the episodes actually made Smek, one of the film's weakest links, into an actual character. That character is mostly easily- thwarted comic relief, but it's still a far ton better than what the film did with him, ironically enough.

* Side characters revolving around Tip, Oh, and Lucy (without saying examples, to keep things simple here.) feel more fleshed out. Not all of them add too much, but they add a lot more to things than anyone in the film does.

* Bonus Points: to many, it may look like a pre-school show at first glance, but I admire the way the characters look in the animated series far more than the actual film, especially Tip and Lucy's designs. The only thing that needed work was the backgrounds, honestly.

I'm only touching on the basics here, but where Home (the film) is just terrible, the animated series is far superior in every sense for me. So much so that I'm sad it didn’t get more seasons to further develop and flesh out the setting of its main characters even more! It's a shame everyone on the net seems to hate this show, where as it's one of my favorite Dreamworks Netflix shows to look at and revisit of all time for me, personally.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Has anybody here mentioned that South Park is absolutely terrible yet? It has almost never been right about any issue it has explored, and because of its conservative bias, it's impossible to take the naked racism it's displayed over the years in good humor. You do enough story messages and morals against the underclass and poor and disenfranchised people, and you can no longer claim you are an equal opportunity offender.

South Park's politics are not the only messed up thing about it. It's devolved into basically a straight-laced spoof of either an overwrought cop show or a disaster movie every other week. And those things are never EVER funny. And Trey Parker's increasingly screechy bellowing voice performance every week has gotten to be nails on a chalkboard to me. For someone who voices half of the characters, it's amazing how they've all started to sound exactly alike.

Last edited:

Zanneck

Has anybody here mentioned that South Park is absolutely terrible yet? It has almost never been right about any issue it has explored, and because of its conservative bias, it's impossible to take the naked racism it's displayed over the years in good humor. You do enough story messages and morals against the underclass and poor and disenfranchised people, and you can no longer claim you are an equal opportunity offender.

South Park's politics are not the only messed up thing about it. It's devolved into basically a straight-laced spoof of either an overwrought cop show or a disaster movie every other week. And those things are never EVER funny. And Trey Parker's increasingly screechy bellowing voice performance every week has gotten to be nails on a chalkboard to me. For someone who voices half of the characters, it's amazing how they've all started to sound exactly alike.

Yeah, I never ever cared for South Park. It doesn't help that it's home to the some of the worst charcter designs and animation I've ever seen in a Western animated show - how it looks is what I expect out of a preschool show not worth anyone's time, honestly.

Nothing about South Park appeals to me, personally, especially its humor (I do wholeheartedly understand that's why people (still) love it so much, however.), but ESPECIALLY how it looks alone is enough to make me ignore its existence completely.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I actually don't think The Simpsons episode "A Star is Burns" is what Groening said it was when he removed his name on the credits, though I understand where he's coming from.

Couldn't at all get into 3 Below.
Which I can understand, due to it being a sci-fi skewed series in comparison to the magical-skewed Trollhunters. That and also some people feel it's quite similar to Sym-Bionic Titan, therefore I respect your opinion on it.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Which I can understand, due to it being a sci-fi skewed series in comparison to the magical-skewed Trollhunters. That and also some people feel it's quite similar to Sym-Bionic Titan, therefore I respect your opinion on it.
The color palette choice strains my eyes more than people say theirs did with Into the Spider-Verse.
The character designs are also far less imaginative here.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

I used to like South Park better when I was younger, but I think I have evolved past it.

I think the arguments they make are often ahistorical or just flat out wrong, they had to do an about-face on climate change and their both sides equally suck messages don't really work well now, it was easier to get away with it in the late 90s, early 2000s.

Warning there is some swearing in the second video.

I don't think this series has aged well (not just because doing an episode about Guitar Hero, which was a thing back in 2006, now seems completely dated) but because sometimes on some issues, one side can more correct than other. They set up a ton of false equivalences in their show.

Matt and Trey thinking they are going against the grain because they surrounded by liberals in Hollywood and want to say things against popular opinions of people in the Entertainment Industry in LA, make them seem like they live in a bubble and do not know anything about the lived experiences of people outside of LA.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I used to like South Park better when I was younger, but I think I have evolved past it.

I think the arguments they make are often ahistorical or just flat out wrong, they had to do an about-face on climate change and their both sides equally suck messages don't really work well now, it was easier to get away with it in the late 90s, early 2000s.
South Park repeatedly told young people it didn't matter who they voted for. And this is how we ended up. It raised a generation of trolls who cared about nothing but themselves.

South Park does nothing but complain about liberal d-words and whenever something happens that could have been easily predicted or prevented they introduce a character like Captain Hindsight and go "Who me?". They are a huge part of the problem.
I don't think this series has aged well (not just because doing an episode about Guitar Hero, which was a thing back in 2006, now seems completely dated) but because sometimes on some issues, one side can more correct than other. They set up a ton of false equivalences in their show.

Matt and Trey thinking they are going against the grain because they surrounded by liberals in Hollywood and want to say things against popular opinions of people in the Entertainment Industry in LA, make them seem like they live in a bubble and do not know anything about the lived experiences of people outside of LA.
They have been on the wrong side of every major issue besides gay marriage. "Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina" is one of the most appalling pieces of television ever produced.

South Park bothsides issues where there is only one correct side. And whenever it DOES take a stand it's always the wrong side. History has not been kind to South Park. It's one of the worst scripted shows on television.

And honestly the politics barely matter anymore. The show is simply unfunny and no longer presents itself as any of sort of comedy. They barely even tell jokes anymore and in some episodes they don't tell any. It's just Trey Parker screeching over and over again in that horrible voice of his. It's just nonstop awful.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts