Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

Pooky

Staff member
I'm not saying they're better movies, but I would say Back to the Future II and III are the gold standard in terms of planned two partners that still tell a complete and satisfying story in the individual films. Yes II has a cliffhanger but it's a tag on the end, the main story is completely resolved. I personally would not say the same of the LOTR films, certainly not the first, although that is by design, because the books aren't that way either (I believe they were intended to be published as a single book)

aegisrawks

I know people are tired of me saying this. But as that is the VERY definition of UNPOPULAR OPINION, here goes! Someone should try doing something akin to Kidsclick again. NOT exactly a syndicated block but ANY sort of Cartoon for kids block on the MAIN networks. Ratings ARE SO LOW they WILL invariable murder Nick, CN and Disney. Even combined! I think Disney or Viacom should do it. Putting stuff like Spongebob on syndication would do wonders. Or even just biting the bullet and making a whole Broadcast Diginet centered around Nick or Disney stuff. That would Slaughter anything in its path ratings wise.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I know people are tired of me saying this. But as that is the VERY definition of UNPOPULAR OPINION, here goes! Someone should try doing something akin to Kidsclick again. NOT exactly a syndicated block but ANY sort of Cartoon for kids block on the MAIN networks. Ratings ARE SO LOW they WILL invariable murder Nick, CN and Disney. Even combined! I think Disney or Viacom should do it. Putting stuff like Spongebob on syndication would do wonders. Or even just biting the bullet and making a whole Broadcast Diginet centered around Nick or Disney stuff. That would Slaughter anything in its path ratings wise.
That's a nice idea in theory, but realistically, the only way the broadcast networks could bring kids back to Saturday morning TV would be for them to somehow get rid of cable/satellite TV and shut down the internet permanently. People wouldn't subscribe to the cable channels if they could watch the content for free. Cable companies aren't that nice. The reason those Saturday morning kids' blocks' ratings are in the dumpster is because most kids are watching YouTube and Tik-Tok and playing games like Minecraft instead of watching TV. Nowadays, kids don't need to wait once a week to watch their favorite shows. They can just pull them up and watch them whenever they want to. Cable killed SatAM TV and now internet TV is slowly killing cable. Broadcast networks as we know them are about to change significantly. What would be the point?

Last edited:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
It's not the early 00's anymore. The battle is no longer broadcast TV versus cable, it's packaged entertainment as a whole versus everyone's eyeballs, wallets and short attention spans.

Broadcast, cable/satellite and Internet/streaming are all in the process of melding into singular entities all owned by the same giant corporations anyway; so where a block like this would air doesn't really matter. I just want the Big Corporations to start giving a crud about Kids, Family and General Audience entertainment again; give them the money, freedom and backing to make good, decent original shows and ideas again.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Nah, your passionate about what you like. I think doing a digital channel like the old 10shake in Australia (now FTA Nickelodeon) where kids programming in daytime and older age programming in the evening would be a good idea. On the main networks, probably not there's really no where that will work. In my area the E/I Saturday shows barely air on Saturday. Imagine 12 or 12:30pm weekday cartoons after the news.

aegisrawks

Nah, your passionate about what you like. I think doing a digital channel like the old 10shake in Australia (now FTA Nickelodeon) where kids programming in daytime and older age programming in the evening would be a good idea. On the main networks, probably not there's really no where that will work. In my area the E/I Saturday shows barely air on Saturday. Imagine 12 or 12:30pm weekday cartoons after the news.
FINALLY! Someone who does agree a bit while also having realism and perspective! I love this post. I guess its true the main networks wont ever try again. But making a digital subchannel could work. After all if Nickelodeon is getting 150k at BEST, a digital subnet, which is ALREADY designed to be niche and not really do gangbusters from the get go, could strike gold with 90's nostalgia. And if everyone is going to say "Oh that wont work because kids dont watch" make it for adults and just have kids as a side demographic. This is pretty much what CN is doing already but on Cable. On broadcast the potential is way higher.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I'm not saying they're better movies, but I would say Back to the Future II and III are the gold standard in terms of planned two partners that still tell a complete and satisfying story in the individual films. Yes II has a cliffhanger but it's a tag on the end, the main story is completely resolved. I personally would not say the same of the LOTR films, certainly not the first, although that is by design, because the books aren't that way either (I believe they were intended to be published as a single book)
Thank you for a good example, right there. And I'm not the hugest fan of Back to The Future, neither, but yeah! Thank you.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
FINALLY! Someone who does agree a bit while also having realism and perspective! I love this post. I guess its true the main networks wont ever try again. But making a digital subchannel could work. After all if Nickelodeon is getting 150k at BEST, a digital subnet, which is ALREADY designed to be niche and not really do gangbusters from the get go, could strike gold with 90's nostalgia. And if everyone is going to say "Oh that wont work because kids dont watch" make it for adults and just have kids as a side demographic. This is pretty much what CN is doing already but on Cable. On broadcast the potential is way higher.
And if we could get original shows too, not just 90's nostalgia, that'd be even better.

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
As much as I have a ducktales avatar and love the character of Bradford, I actually quite dislike ducktales, especially the reboot. I adore Rosa's Life and Times, as well as the og Darkwing Duck, and feel like the entire show does a disservice to the entire Darkwing franchise (I found the idea in the show of villain-izing the OG Drake Mallard into Negaduck so...confusing like, the DWD show in-universe ISNT the DW in our universe, but he is?? What? And then replacing him and doing a reboot of it in the show? So confusing, and such a disrespect to the original show. The egotisical hero we looked up to is now a villain, and is Negaduck? How obscene).

Not to mention the show makes the triplets super annoying and act like little loud adults in childen's animated bodies who don't even DO normal kid things. I loved the triplets in Mickey's Once upon a Christmas, and while I didn't watch them in the 87 show, they were harmless enough. But here just ughhhhh my ears. Dewey also took up too much screentime.

The show also does imo disrespect to the character of Scrooge. No longer so miserly, in fact he is much more heroic and less a funny pain-in-the-rear-but-well-meaning jerk which takes all the fun out of everything. Why are his parents still alive? They should've passed away a while ago. Why did he have a feud with his father? He adored his father in the comics. Why is he over 150 years old? Why in the world is the show so focused on FAMILY and ADVENTURE where in the comics none of such things were SOOO overemphasized as they do here? Yes the love of family is noted in the comics, appreciation for them, but it wasn't handed out on a platter. The Duck family were not adventurer superhero geniuses, they were dragged around by their family patriarch for treasure finding and other selfish interests, and the only reason they complied was because they were paid, and they survived by the skin of their teeth, sheer luck and gumption.

I don't know. I never had fun with the show (except when said favorite villain tried to ruin everything, which I thought was quite funny) and perhaps my opinion is not that controversial or unpopular considering other such comments that mirror mine in the main DT thread. Nevertheless I've been given a lot of pushback from other animation fans which I thought were disheartening.

I even wrote my own story where I tried to "fix" the show in some ways (or at least I want to in my head). Life and Times was just such a big inspiration to me, so it's sad other DT fans have never really read Rosa's comics. Not all, but a handful I've met.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
As much as I have a ducktales avatar and love the character of Bradford, I actually quite dislike ducktales, especially the reboot. I adore Rosa's Life and Times, as well as the og Darkwing Duck, and feel like the entire show does a disservice to the entire Darkwing franchise (I found the idea in the show of villain-izing the OG Drake Mallard into Negaduck so...confusing like, the DWD show in-universe ISNT the DW in our universe, but he is?? What? And then replacing him and doing a reboot of it in the show? So confusing, and such a disrespect to the original show. The egotisical hero we looked up to is now a villain, and is Negaduck? How obscene).

Not to mention the show makes the triplets super annoying and act like little loud adults in childen's animated bodies who don't even DO normal kid things. I loved the triplets in Mickey's Once upon a Christmas, and while I didn't watch them in the 87 show, they were harmless enough. But here just ughhhhh my ears. Dewey also took up too much screentime.

The show also does imo disrespect to the character of Scrooge. No longer so miserly, in fact he is much more heroic and less a funny pain-in-the-rear-but-well-meaning jerk which takes all the fun out of everything. Why are his parents still alive? They should've passed away a while ago. Why did he have a feud with his father? He adored his father in the comics. Why is he over 150 years old? Why in the world is the show so focused on FAMILY and ADVENTURE where in the comics none of such things were SOOO overemphasized as they do here? Yes the love of family is noted in the comics, appreciation for them, but it wasn't handed out on a platter. The Duck family were not adventurer superhero geniuses, they were dragged around by their family patriarch for treasure finding and other selfish interests, and the only reason they complied was because they were paid, and they survived by the skin of their teeth, sheer luck and gumption.

I don't know. I never had fun with the show (except when said favorite villain tried to ruin everything, which I thought was quite funny) and perhaps my opinion is not that controversial or unpopular considering other such comments that mirror mine in the main DT thread. Nevertheless I've been given a lot of pushback from other animation fans which I thought were disheartening.

I even wrote my own story where I tried to "fix" the show in some ways (or at least I want to in my head). Life and Times was just such a big inspiration to me, so it's sad other DT fans have never really read Rosa's comics. Not all, but a handful I've met.
You and I are going to get along fine.

user313856

The things you said in your comment seem to indicate that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with what the show is doing. At least I don't see anything you described as inherently a flaw. It's just not what you would rather see. And that's fine, there is nothing really wrong with you, and there is nothing wrong with the show.

I've started to say more and more things like these because I know how frustrating and entitled fans can be, like the author is forced to cater to exactly their vision of the characters. Azula is an extremely popular and beloved character in Avatar The Last Airbender, but there are some loud and angry fans who lack any nuance in their analyses of the character: she either did nothing wrong and was just a victim of everyone (these people will hate on Zuko, Iroh and Ursa), or she is just a completely one-dimensional and evil psycopath, and the arguments of each side can be mind-boggling (in the worst way possible). And any take on Azula that deviates from what exactly these people have in mind will piss them off.

Recently, a new Azula comic came out. A one-shot. Written by Faith Erin Hicks, it's Azula having her Azula Alone story. The comic doesn't do any huge change to Azula's character arc (it would be insanely rushed if it did, but it plants good seeds for change). I loved it, I loved the exploration of the character, and all of her contradictions (I highly recommend Airspeed Prime's spoiler YouTube review of the comic, and also the comment section of his video, not to mention that he is easily the best source of Avatar news and discussion, no ******** clickbait). But I know that there will be fans pissed off. At this point, I think I just shouldn't care about these people, the fandom has been split since Legend Of Korra.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
prpis said:

I agree with this completely. While there are some things that I think that the 2018 DuckTales did better than the 1997 series, such as having Donald Duck as a full time cast member, a much better take on Webby and the Beagle Boys and Bubba only being a one-episode character, I'm quick to point out its flaws, and the triplets was one of the things the reboot definitely got wrong. Honestly, I thought that Huey, Dewey and Louie's Quack Pack personalities were better (how's that for an unpopular opinion?).

I have another Disney related one, although this is admittedly more of a pet peeve:

It annoys me whenever Disney makes a new cartoon featuring Chip 'N' Dale where they aren't Rescue Rangers, such as Chip 'N' Dale: Park Life, Disney Afternoon fans complain like Rescue Rangers is all that the characters are allowed to do now. "What have they done to Chip 'n' Dale!?" They returned the characters to their classic cartoons roots, that's what. You do know that Chip 'N' Dale had a career in the shorts long before Rescue Rangers, right?

Last edited:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Now that Disney has done their 100th anniversary special Once Upon a Studio, which I loved, and Warner Bros has done their 100th anniversary special The Teen Titans GO! WB 100th Anniversary Special, which I also liked, albeit to a lesser extent (I didn't hate the TTGO special, but OUAS blew it completely out of the water); anyway, now that the two major animation studios have done their centennial specials, can we please put 'Everyone is Here' on the shelf for a while?

Look, I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and I usually like to see my favorite characters interact for a nice surprise; heck, I even found Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue entertaining in a cheesy, campy, pandering way (if nothing else it's a fun thing to riff on MST3K style), but apart from Cartoon Network's City bumps, Super Smash Brothers, Avengers Infinity War/Endgame, Space Jam: A New Legacy, Jellystone! (which is itself getting a crossover episode with Cartoon Network characters), Once Upon a Studio, the TTGO special and that Lonely Island Rescue Rangers movie (which I didn't like TBH), yeah, I admit it: I'm starting to get bored with 'Everyone Is Here'. I don't want to get tired of something I usually love.

Now that both Disney and Warner have each celebrated their hundredth, can we please put 'Everyone is Here' on the shelf for like two to four years so it can be an event again? If it happens all the time, it's not special; how many Ultimate Crossovers do we need?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I know that's not gonna happen, but a digital subchannel dedicated to kids and family content would be a good idea. As long it's good, then I'll definitely tuned in.
I just want the Big Corporations to start giving a crud about Kids, Family and General Audience entertainment again; give them the money, freedom and backing to make good, decent original shows and ideas again.
Amen, bro! Amen.
And if we could get original shows too, not just 90's nostalgia, that'd be even better.
I agree with both of you.
I agree with this completely. While there are some things that I think that the 2018 DuckTales did better than the 1997 series, such as having Donald Duck as a full time cast member, a much better take on Webby and the Beagle Boys and Bubba only being a one-episode character, I'm quick to point out its flaws, and the triplets was one of the things the reboot definitely got wrong. Honestly, I thought that Huey, Dewey and Louie's Quack Pack personalities were better (how's that for an unpopular opinion?).
Even though I haven't seen the DuckTales reboot in awhile, but I remember loving it better than the original.
It annoys me whenever Disney makes a new cartoon featuring Chip 'N' Dale where they aren't Rescue Rangers, such as Chip 'N' Dale: Park Life, Disney Afternoon fans complain like Rescue Rangers is all that the characters are allowed to do now. "What have they done to Chip 'n' Dale!?" They returned the characters to their classic cartoons roots, that's what. You do know that Chip 'N' Dale had a career in the shorts long before Rescue Rangers, right?
Does these people tend to forget that Chip and Dale had their own classic cartoon shorts before Rescue Rangers? I don't get these people.

Anyways, I love Chip and Dale Park Life. It was super cute and wholesome.
Now that both Disney and Warner have each celebrated their hundredth, can we please put 'Everyone is Here' on the shelf for like two to four years so it can be an event again? If it happens all the time, it's not special; how many Ultimate Crossovers do we need?
Yeah, I do agree. The whole crossover/multiverse, Everyone is Here trope does started to get a little tiring, but I know that trope is not going to away since a lot of people eating that stuff up like a bunch of candy.
Somehow someway Michael Ouweleen saves Cartoon Network.
Eh, I will believe it when I see it.

Ace

Ace
I do have kind of a soft spot for 90s animation. I didn't really grow up with it as I grew up in the 2000s but I do feel that in like 90s shows have an atmospheric feel that kind of got lost some time in the 00s. Things like using different color palettes for different moods and the bigger focus on the music and sound design gave distinct feelings and moods.

As the 00s progressed we kind of lost that for more generic brightly colored and high contrast color palettes and more generic music and sound effects. I think Spongebob is probably a pretty good example of why mood is important because after the movie every time it tried to be gross or creepy it didn't work with more it's brightly colored art direction and the music also just wasn't quite as good either.

I don't think this is unpopular opinion but I think this is something people often overlook a lot.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Shnookums And Meat Funny Cartoon Show isn't THAT bad. Yes it is vastly inferior to Ren & Stimpy. But it's NOT vastly inferior to the rest of The Disney Afternoon output at the time. Gargoyles being amazing was an outlier for that era. Shnookums' mediocrity was totally in line with Goof Troop, Bonkers, Mighty Ducks, Timon And Pumbaa, and dare I say it, Darkwing Duck and Aladdin.

I don't get why it enrages people considering what they let slide back then.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts