Unconfirmed: "Batman Beyond" theatrical animated movie in the works?

Latest News & Videos

Revelator

In summary then: "Oh no."
As an example, the generation that grew up watching Beyond and are now working at Warner Animation may have a valid story to tell. Batman Beyond can only continue if others tell their own interpretations of it. Batman comics eventually were written by someone other than Bob Kane.
Batman comics were never written by Bob Kane. Bill Finger was the original writer, and while other folks eventually shared the writing chores, it's still universally agreed that Finger was the best writer of Golden/Silver age Batman. So if you're reviving a property, it would be foolish to not hire the equivalent of Bill Finger if he's still around. In this case, Batman Beyond succeeded because of Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Glen Murakami. It would nice if at least one of them was involved in this project--if it is more than a rumor. If so, I hope those ugly designs are fake.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Again, I do hope they work Friedle and Conroy into the movie even if the likelihood of them playing Bruce and Terry is probably pretty slim :ack:.
I wonder who might be the villain of the movie. Maybe they'll bring back Derek Powers? I thought that was the closest thing he had to an archenemy (but I am not too familiar with his comics, so there might be someone else). Or maybe they'll go with a super-villain team-up, like the Inequity Collective or whatever they called his version of the Sinister Six. Unless they rely on Joker again, much to the surprise of everyone. :p
Villain-wise I'm expecting either Blight or the Jokers, maybe the two together :evil:.
Random thought: If they're going to start putting more emphasis on "theatrical movies" (in response to "Into the Spiderverse's success), then...what will become of the "straight to home video" line of DC movies?
The DTV line is still probably a more reasonable means of getting animated films out for certain properties or concepts without making a big-budget film adaption out of it, like with the Lego films, Batman '66, or the Animated Feature films, so I expect they'll still continue :).

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Batman comics were never written by Bob Kane. Bill Finger was the original writer, and while other folks eventually shared the writing chores, it's still universally agreed that Finger was the best writer of Golden/Silver age Batman. So if you're reviving a property, it would be foolish to not hire the equivalent of Bill Finger if he's still around. In this case, Batman Beyond succeeded because of Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Glen Murakami. It would nice if at least one of them was involved in this project--if it is more than a rumor. If so, I hope those ugly designs are fake.
I would hope for some sort of connection to the original creators as well - if not at least one of them returning, maybe if they sign off on it with their blessing, at least.

But sometimes the sign of a good creative property is that it outlives it's creators. I'd welcome new creators if they have a compelling story to tell, as long as they channel the elements that worked in the original version. You can pay tribute to the original as well as bring something new to the table.

Besides, if they didn't try a new art/music style, I'd get complaints from @Red Arrow that it looks like they're still stuck in the 90's. ;)

Another thing to consider: Are they going to kill Terry's father again? Is this going to become like Uncle Ben in the Spider-Man films - "how many times must Uncle Ben die before Peter learns his lesson!"

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yes, I was incorrect in naming Kane but I know you're an intelligent person and understood what I'm talking about. Beyond can succeed with another great creative team. The studio doesn't have to and shouldn't keep going back to the well. Especially, with one of them being retired. I have no clue where Murakami is or what he's working on. Timm, Dini, Burnett, and Murkami told the stories they wanted to tell. There's a Harley Quinn animated series being made for the streaming service and it doesn't involve any of them. Why not Beyond? Look at the Batman and Harley Quinn DTV, it involved Timm, and it didn't meet with a too great of a response. All I'm asking is keep an open mind, this project is in really early pre-dev, it was leaked unfortunately way too early, and the Internet is eating it up.

Revelator

In summary then: "Oh no."
Timm, Dini, Burnett, and Murkami told the stories they wanted to tell.
It would be nice to get direct confirmation from those gentlemen--perhaps they have stories they'd still like to tell. Yes, another team could possibly do great work with the property. But the original team who made it special (or at least some of its members, since Burnett has retired) should remain the first port of call. If they decline, then the fans-turned-writers can take a crack at it. The Harley Quinn DTV failed because it didn't have the involvement of Paul Dini, who co-created Harley and remains the best writer of Harley stories, just as the Braniac DTV suffered from having a writer who wasn't involved with STAS.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
But the original team who made it special (or at least some of its members, since Burnett has retired) should remain the first port of call. If they decline, then the fans-turned-writers can take a crack at it.
Maybe they were asked first and they declined.

Frontier

Staff member
Besides, if they didn't try a new art/music style, I'd get complaints from @Red Arrow that it looks like they're still stuck in the 90's. ;)
I hope they still work in the original Beyond theme to the score :cool:.
Another thing to consider: Are they going to kill Terry's father again? Is this going to become like Uncle Ben in the Spider-Man films - "how many times must Uncle Ben die before Peter learns his lesson!"
Well, Terry was always the most Spider-Man-like Batman :p.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Batman Beyond's animation was really nice, I think the old designs could still be used nowadays, and I think they will attract more fans if they do so.

But yes, please give us new music, and also new technology. They called him Batman of the Future, after all, not Batman of the Past.

(I just finished episode 85 of B:TAS btw :) )

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Umberto Gonzalez reports "No, there is NO BATMAN BEYOND movie in development! Their official word is "Not true. We are not working on an animated Batman Beyond movie." In fact, to be extra sure, it was checked & shot down at Warner Animation Group on feature side, DC FILMS, & WB Animation on TV side."

Mod Note: Added quote. Simply embedding a tweet and posting is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

#TeamMike

Tfw when a mod post gets edited by a mod.

But seriously DanielRPK is known to spout crap, and this came from him. Not surprised it's false.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly if there is a Batman Beyond movie IMHO I'd really either want it to be a more live action project (with Michael Keaton as the older Bruce Wayne and them re-telling the hour premiere of Batman Beyond as a film) or an animated one done by the original team. I don't really like the idea of them taking Terry as an excuse to do a Spider-Verse esque story. I know people argued that's not how you should start Miles Moralies but Miles ALWAYS existed as an alternate universe counter part as the entire idea was starting with Peter Parker and him dying and the torch being passed on to allow for his own set of adventures. Batman Beyond is also a passing the torch story but one more set in it's own world as it takes place in the future of Gotham not the current time line thus more allowed in a sense to be it's own thing. That really shouldn't be thrown in out just so they can have a Spider-Verse esque movie.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Oh, the irony - while foreign feeds of Cartoon Network ban just about anything, CN USA started to show Shrek completely uncut - with the "offensive" words intact - in 2017! Around the time when Cartoon Network feeds worldwide were already ruled by the nanny state!
Don't ever force yourself into liking a show or any other form of media and don't be afraid to speak up about how you honestly feel about it.
NeoplanDan wrote on Zedd's profile.
Hi, Zedd, I wanted to to fix up the date on my birthday, when I was first registered here, it incorrectly date as 1/21/1995 when it actually 2/21/1995, originally I was going to ask one of the admins to fix it so that it’s on the correct date.
I'm the best anime character. You will all bow down to me.
Well, THAT was a flop...Adventure Time will leave Adult Swim after two weeks...