Unconfirmed: "Batman Beyond" theatrical animated movie in the works?

Latest News & Videos

Spider-Man

Artwork has been showing up online which looks to be for a theatrical animated movie from WAG based on Batman Beyond. According to this report is planned to be DC's answer to Spider-Verse:

The image is supposed to be production art for it:

I really hope this happens and while other people may not agree I hope it does not take place in the DCAU and is its own thing. This could really push Terry McGinnis out there like what Spider-Verse did for Miles Morales.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
The artwork looks cool. It would be pretty awesome if this actually ends up happening. Even if it doesn't get a theatrical release, I'd love to see the Batman Beyond world revisited.

Frontier

Staff member
Artwork has been showing up online which looks to be for a theatrical animated movie from WAG based on Batman Beyond. According to this report is planned to be DC's answer to Spider-Verse:

The image is supposed to be production art for it:

I really hope this happens and while other people may not agree I hope it does not take place in the DCAU and is its own thing. This could really push Terry McGinnis out there like what Spider-Verse did for Miles Morales.
Kind of interesting that they don't seem to be trying to match the style of the DCAU, where Beyond originated, but going for something even more stylized (which I guess goes along with this being made to counter Into the Spider-Verse).

I'm always down for more Beyond and Terry :cool:.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is pretty cool news. I don't like the production art, but it might look better in animation or with more details/color behind it. I've wanted some kind of revisit to Batman Beyond for ages. It doesn't have to be set within the DCAU. Even just a standalone movie would be neat. Oddly enough, I thought that this was being made in response to Into the Spider-Verse. I haven't seen that movie yet, but I've heard nothing but praise for it, so DC trying to do their own animated movie sounds pretty fitting.

It would be cool if they could fit Will Friedle and Kevin Conroy in there somewhere in the mix. Even just giving them a cameo appearance would be neat, but I could see why they may want to just get different voice actors for a few reasons. I hope that this happens since I'd really love to see a different take on the Batman Beyond concept.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
As an example, the generation that grew up watching Beyond and are now working at Warner Animation may have a valid story to tell. Batman Beyond can only continue if others tell their own interpretations of it. Batman comics eventually were written by someone other than Bob Kane.

Frontier

Staff member
As an example, the generation that grew up watching Beyond and are now working at Warner Animation may have a valid story to tell. Batman Beyond can only continue if others tell their own interpretations of it. Batman comics eventually were written by someone other than Bob Kane.
I also feel like we've heard murmurings of a Beyond revival in some form for a while, beyond the Timm short, even people fan-casting themselves for a live-action Beyond movie :).

Seems like things are finally coming to fruition :cool:.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm a little conflicted since I've wanted to see WB take a chance at big screen DC animation for a loong time but I don't know if Batman Beyond is necessarily what I'd like to see them do right now. I honestly always pictured them adapting something like Kingdom Come, though I can understand if a story like that would be skipped due to a lack of audience accessibility. Whether it's due to the influence of Spider-Verse, or the eventual step after testing the waters with Lego Batman or Teen Titans Go, I do hope that WB press forward in this direction. If Batman Beyond gets the greenlight, I hope they can figure out something totally new to do with the characters and premise.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I wonder who might be the villain of the movie. Maybe they'll bring back Derek Powers? I thought that was the closest thing he had to an archenemy (but I am not too familiar with his comics, so there might be someone else). Or maybe they'll go with a super-villain team-up, like the Inequity Collective or whatever they called his version of the Sinister Six. Unless they rely on Joker again, much to the surprise of everyone. :p

Anyway, I'm eager to learn more about the project.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

I'm sure this will be good, possibly even great. However,

I've long wanted WB to do more within the BATMAN BEYOND world, specifically as a return to the DCAU. Arguably, even more than JLU, it is perfect for a return visit as the writers/producers have alot more leeway. I wanted Conroy and Friedle to be given a proper chance to return, but I guess that's slim to none now.

Also, I would have LOVED a live-action version starring Michael Keaton. Killing two dreams with the one stone here WB... oh well, it is what it is.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Random thought: If they're going to start putting more emphasis on "theatrical movies" (in response to "Into the Spiderverse's success), then...what will become of the "straight to home video" line of DC movies?

iammattie

I'd imagine they'll keep DTV's going. My assumption is they're largely two separate departments that may share an employee or two here and there. Y'gotta remember, even the DTV department is slightly fractured (See: the Batman '66 or Lego films.) so it makes sense that corporate infrastructure can and will adapt for it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Oh, the irony - while foreign feeds of Cartoon Network ban just about anything, CN USA started to show Shrek completely uncut - with the "offensive" words intact - in 2017! Around the time when Cartoon Network feeds worldwide were already ruled by the nanny state!
Don't ever force yourself into liking a show or any other form of media and don't be afraid to speak up about how you honestly feel about it.
NeoplanDan wrote on Zedd's profile.
Hi, Zedd, I wanted to to fix up the date on my birthday, when I was first registered here, it incorrectly date as 1/21/1995 when it actually 2/21/1995, originally I was going to ask one of the admins to fix it so that it’s on the correct date.
I'm the best anime character. You will all bow down to me.
Well, THAT was a flop...Adventure Time will leave Adult Swim after two weeks...