Ultimate Spider-Man "The Iron Octopus" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - USM "The Iron Octopus"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Swing by for an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD today starting at 11:00am (ET/PT)!

Click the image above for content from this episode!
Ultimate Spider-Man The Iron Octopus"
Episode Premiere Date - September 30th, 2012
When Doctor Octopus takes over Iron Man's armors, Spider-Man and team work to stop his attacks on OsCorp and S.H.I.E.L.D..

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode airs, too, providing your own commentary, though avoid successive posting. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

NuclearBLt

Another decent episode.
I loved Norman's relationship with his son, and how Octavious' grudge against him played out.

Although I found the "heh, rhyme" running gag to be annoying.

Dragnatek

I found this episode to be pretty good. I am so happy that Spider-man did not just dismiss everything Doc Ock said about Norman. It would have been really stupid if he did. I know he can't realize Norman is evil until he becomes Green Goblin but maybe he won't be so blindly trusting. The man is very slimy in this show and does not even hide it that well.

Anyway this episode had a more focused plot, less random jokes and was over all pretty good.

Yeah the rhyme gag got annoying but I loved the chain gun cutaway gag.

sparkykandy

Thought that this episode was one of the best ones yet. It also has me pretty pumped for the season finale.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The episode wasn't bad, my only gripe was the ending. I hated the ending. The ending went back to status-quo. No one knows that Norman is evil, Doc Ock is back with Norman, etc. Nothing changed.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Although I haven't been posting my thoughts on many of the previous episodes, I have been sticking with this show and I thought this was maybe the strongest episode thus far. A bit more of a serious tone, didn't like much of the humor but this show's Doc Ock is pretty cool.

Frontier

Staff member
This... this was actually a pretty good episode. The jokes and fourth wall gags weren't terribly gratuitous, and some of it was actually funny. For once I felt legitimately invested in the Osborn storyline, and Osborn was actually kinda cool. Iron Man and the Iron Spider suit were used quite well, and I'd even go as far as saying they were used better here than in the original Iron Spider episode. Doc Ock once again proves why he is one of the better villains on this show. And thankfully, no one was made into out of character jerks or idiots for the sake of the plot.

The team weren't used again, but at this point I'll take any excuse that gives Nova less screen time.

The quality of this episode could be attributed to having Frank Tieri, whose written numerous Marvel comics, as a writer. I guess it just goes to show that just having Man of Action attached to the writing credits isn't necessarily a tell-tale sign of an episodes quality.

Was Conners voiced by Dee Bradley Baker in this episode? He certainly didn't sound like Tom Kenny, though I have to wonder why they'd recast him now especially since Baker is already Sandman.

Choppasmith

The team weren't used again, but at this point I'll take any excuse that gives Nova less screen time.

The way they just got them out of the way with no appearance whatsoever really made me think someone, whether Tieri or someone else said "No! No Spidey-team episode this time!" If that's the case, whoever did that deserves a medal.

This episode was definitely one of the better ones in the "See? This series CAN be awesome" kind of way. I noticed Frank Tieri, but after I watched the episode, I actually rewound my DVR recording to see if the director was different. Nope, still Alex Soto. But this episode definitely had a different feel to it than most others. Even the awesome comic panel scene was a pretty cool effect. Again, if this is due to Frank Tieri, GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL AND HAVE HIM WRITE MORE EPISODES!

Also, best line, "Hiiii Big Gun." Seriously, Bell's delivery of the line was brilliant and had me rolling.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Amazing episode :D
It has great action scenes
My favorite cutaways are Chibi Norman Osborn with a Machine Gun and Chibi Spiderman Angel and Devil XD
We also got another Deadpool cameo

Medinnus

Staff member
This episode of Ultimate Spider-Man earned my highest rating yet - 3 and a half stars. This is what I want to see in a Spider-Man cartoon; action, plot

Its odd that this episode is heavy on the continuity that Loeb said "didn't matter". The dialogue and plot didn't talk down to us - I mean, yeah, there were a few plot holes, but not big enough to gloss over, as in so many series. The humor was mostly in Spider-Man's quips, and the interludes and digressions were small enough that they didn't detract, even if they weren't particularly funny (and I hate idiot Chibi stuff, but that's probably just me). Good action, a credible threat (mostly because the Spidey gang wasn't around - they either are so powerful together that for the most part you either make them have to look incompetent, or make the threat over-powered, neither of which is a good idea).

If every episode was like this, I'd be a USM booster and not a critic. Well done, MOA.

krankyboy

Although I'm still not what you'd call a fan of this Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and the show's attempts at humor (even for very young children) are still pretty lamentable, this was clearly the best episode of the entire series. At least, it was the first time that I felt like I was actually watching an honest to goodness Spider-Man adventure, as opposed to a version of The Marvel Teen Titans Comedy Hour (or half hour, such as it is) cross-bred with The Family Guy.

Doctor Octopus was a fairly menacing villain, and I'm looking forward to seeing Norman Osborn transform into the Green Goblin (although perhaps with this show, I shouldn't). It was also nice to see the main character looking heroic for once as opposed to simply being irresponsible or arrogant -- two qualities that Spider-Man should never exhibit if he's learned anything that his beloved Uncle Ben taught him. Heck, he even got a pretty enjoyable costume change sequence at the beginning ("This is a job for me!") that was reminiscent of the "shirt lift to reveal the costume" shot from the "Field Trip" episode earlier this summer. Wish the producers, writers, and directors would embrace that spirit more as opposed to the all-around silliness.

Along with "Freaky" and "Beetle Mania," I felt "The Iron Octopus" is probably in the top three -- if not the top spot -- of episodes this season. I'm happy that the team of supporting heroes (Nova, especially) has also been noticeably put into the background for the last two episodes, although they're destined to return.

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
I'm with the rest of you in thinking that this was one of the better episodes. And man, compare this show as much as you want to Spectacular or Avengers: EMH, I really REALLY dig the character designs, animation, and action sequences on this show. Best looking Marvel cartoon ever, and while I thought Ock's armor was a bit on the bulky side, the fight between him and Iron Spider was great.

Good to see Iron Man back and used in a better capacity than last time (him butting heads with Osborn was fun) and without Spidey's not-so amazing friends. Is Spider-Man ever going to team-up with the Avengers...or any super team? I feel like he's starting to make a name for himself, and I like him showing his skills and why he comes in handy in certain situations (and training at the same time).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts