Ultimate Spider-Man "Hawkeye" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - USM "Hawkeye"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Featuring Hawkeye! Swing by for an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside the Marvel Universe today at 11:00am (ET/PT) on DisneyXD!

Ultimate Spider-Man "Hawkeye"
Episode Premiere Date - February 10th, 2013
Spider-Man and Hawkeye are forced to team up when the armored mercenary The Beetle returns to New York City.

Comments?

NuclearBLt

Terrible. They did absolutely nothing but fly around New York and whine at each other. They would have taken down the Beetle in 2 minutes if it weren't for Spider-Man's stupidity. :/

I did like the Avengers ID card cameo. Also, does the animation seem like it's getting clunkier?

Infinite-bit

Yeah Kraven the Hunter episode was better than this one and I did like the comment Hawkeye made about the spider-cycle.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I kinda liked this episode, only because I think Beetle is a cool villain. Otherwise, yeah. The whole episode was Spidey and Hawkeye yelling at each other.

sparkykandy

I liked it; the whole Spidey and Hawkeye not getting along thing didn't really bother me one bit. Then again, I probably I probably have a higher tolerance for this show then most of the internet.

FFmax

Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure
Ugh, Spiderman was just awful here. He's way too immature and once again he's pretty much the idiot in this episode. But I thought it was pretty cool that they made Hawkeye a lot more serious and refined. I really felt his pain when he kept getting annoyed by Spiderman's antics. Now I didn't watch his debut episode in season 1 but does the Beetle...talk? Dude didn't even say a single word.

sparkykandy

Beetle only spoke one line in his debut episode. He also only spoke once in the next episode he appeared in too.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I had no expectations for this episode but I ended up actually liking it. It's the type of plot that's been done a million times before in other places but for whatever reason it worked for me with these two characters. The action and chase scenes were pretty decent as well and the cabbie situation was kind of funny.

Does this Beetle have an identity under that armor ? This is the third time they've caught him and it looks as though they're still not getting rid of his suit.

NuclearBLt

Does this Beetle have an identity under that armor ? This is the third time they've caught him and it looks as though they're still not getting rid of his suit.

I'm always being reminded of shows like Kim Possible and Powerpuff Girls were the villains always break out of prison in every episode, because that is how bloody cartoonish it is knowing that villains like Trapster and Batroc will bust out of their cells as if S.H.I.E.L.D. just handed them the key and said "You behave now". You'd think the most advanced government operation on Earth would have state-of-the-art security to prevent any possible escape.

If these were minor villains in the DC Animated Universe, they'd be dead by their 2nd or 3rd appearance.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm always being reminded of shows like Kim Possible and Powerpuff Girls were the villains always break out of prison in every episode, because that is how bloody cartoonish it is knowing that villains like Trapster and Batroc will bust out of their cells as if S.H.I.E.L.D. just handed them the key and said "You behave now". You'd think the most advanced government operation on Earth would have state-of-the-art security to prevent any possible escape.

There isn't much logic at all in this show. I'm just glad that someone finally pointed out how ridiculous the Spider-bike is.

O

One X

Pretty funny.
Kinda hated Hawkeye outfit, though.
How is it possible that Spiderman had trouble pulling back Hawkeye's bow string?

Infinite-bit

There isn't much logic at all in this show. I'm just glad that someone finally pointed out how ridiculous the Spider-bike is.

Actually the Spider-Bike wouldn't be that ridiculous if Spider-Man used it to travel somewhere he can't web swing.

Medinnus

Staff member
Actually the Spider-Bike wouldn't be that ridiculous if Spider-Man used it to travel somewhere he can't web swing.

Given that he rarely leaves Manhatten, and when he does he takes a SHIELD aircraft in the series, that would be.... where? Its a gimmick for a toy, nothing more.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Given that he rarely leaves Manhatten, and when he does he takes a SHIELD aircraft in the series, that would be.... where? Its a gimmick for a toy, nothing more.

I was literally about to say, "Where can't Spidey web-swing?" XD

suss2it

This was a good episode, but mostly cause I'm a fan of Hawkeye. He was more subdued than how he usually is, and I was really expecting this show to play up his hammier qualities, but I think they did a good job with him. Beetle's an alright villain, but I'm not really a fan of guys who don't talk (with the exception of Snake Eyes). It makes it hard to understand his motivation and characterization.

Pretty funny.
Kinda hated Hawkeye outfit, though.
How is it possible that Spiderman had trouble pulling back Hawkeye's bow string?
It was just harder than he expected. He did end up breaking it after all.
I wish they'd at least give him a mask or something.
I think incorporating a mask into this design would've just looked dumb.
Love Hawkeye's design for the show.
Same. His classic design is just terrible.

Also, this pretty much sums up my feelings about this incarnation of Spider-Man.

Medinnus

Staff member
This was a good episode, but mostly cause I'm a fan of Hawkeye. He was more subdued than how he usually is, and I was really expecting this show to play up his hammier qualities, but I think they did a good job with him.

I agree - although its hard to go wrong with exaggerating Hawkeye's hammier qualities. He was dismissive and exasperated with the immaturity of the Wall-Crawler, while recognizing that while he may be a bit of an adolescent twit, he's not that bad when it comes down to it. Granted, I'd have expected Hawkeye to whinge to Fury about wasting his day babysitting a hero whose supposed to be so formidable, but even so - they did Hawkeye justice.

Beetle's an alright villain, but I'm not really a fan of guys who don't talk (with the exception of Snake Eyes). It makes it hard to understand his motivation and characterization.

Maybe he just doesn't have much to say? Or maybe he's leery of leaving voice-prints as evidence that it was him in the battle-suit. SHIELD would have to prove that it wasn't someone else on any given crime, right? Its a viable "reasonable doubt" defense! Paging Matthew Murdock, paging Matthew Murdock...

It was just harder than he expected. He did end up breaking it after all.

I found that to be the worst part - Spider-Man knows his own strength, and its a poor archer who doesn't carry at least one replacement bowstring, as the constant tension causes them to degrade over time (they stretch, especially in foul weather). Granted, he could have some special material for the bowstring that doesn't, but given how critical the bowstring is, how little space a replacement would take, and how many bad guys have sweeping energy bursts.... yeah. Bad writing.

His classic design is just terrible.

Hey now! I admit I liked the classic design much better when I was younger, but it has a nostalgic charm for us old-timers. Speak into the ear-horn, sonny boy! *snickers* My biggest problem with his MCU uniform is that those glasses are a combat hazard, even if Clint is a proverbial "glass tank".

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Thought the Hawkeye/Spider-man banter worked pretty well and came off as pretty in-character and consistent with Spider-man team-ups to me.

Infinite-bit

I know it's gimmick for a toy I just only said that because I remember in the new Scarlet Spider book Kaine had to commandeer a motorcycle to get this destination that was as he stated was two towns from across Houston and it'd take hours for him to swing there. Also there was nothing for him to swing off of while riding there but then again the landscape of Texas is different from New York's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts