"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
As reported on Marvel Animation Age, the new Ultimate Spider-Man animated series is set to debut from Marvel Animation in Fall 2011! Use this thread to discuss the latest news and rumors for this upcoming series.

logo.jpg
Marvel Animation gives the go-ahead on a brand new animated Spider-man action series, entitled Ultimate Spider-Man, which will premiere on Disney XD in fall 2011. The new Ultimate Spider-Man series follows the teenage Peter Parker as he comes to terms with his powers and origins and deal with various relationships. The series also features teen Spidey teaming up with other Marvel Super Heroes as well as new characters.

Stay tuned for further updates here and at Marvel Animation Age as more new develops!

Sonic_Eclipse

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
Well that explains why there hasn't been any news on Spectacular. Because its been canceled for a new series.

Who honestly didn't see this coming? While I wish they would continue Spectacular, I eagerly await more update on Ultimate. It still really is too bad though.

Soul

You know, while I'm sad there isn't gonna be more Spectacular Spidey, I gotta wonder how in toned this will actually be with "Ultimate Spider-Man"...

ShadowGUN

YES!YES!YES!
Isn't this the same as Spectacular? I mean a young Peter Parker dealing with his powers and relationships. Perphaps is continuation of Spectacular.

Mandouga

I don't usually post here, but I think I can answer your question, ShadowGUN

"Ultimate Spider-Man" is a different interpretation of Spider-Man. In this version, Peter is bitten by a "genetically altered" spider, and his web-based powers are organic. In "Spectacular", it went back to the original version of the story by having him bitten by a "radioactive" spider, and having him use mechanical web shooters.

I'm thiking/assuming that this is going to be an adaptation of the "Ultimate Marvel" version of Spider-Man. As an aside, I understand that Sony's live-action movies are a loose adaptation of the "Ultimate" version as well.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
*Kicks numerous rocks*

I was dreading another "reboot" after they made the Spider-Man 4 decision. I feel pretty doubtful that it will have anything to do with TSSM. The description sounds as though it will be partly Spider-Man's Brave & The Bold (or much more appropriately Marvel Team Up). The Spidey fan in me is curious to see how it turns out, while the TSSM fan in me wants to smash this monitor (though I don't have all of the details yet).

ShadowGUN

YES!YES!YES!

"Ultimate Spider-Man" is a different interpretation of Spider-Man. In this version, Peter is bitten by a "genetically altered" spider, and his web-based powers are organic. In "Spectacular", it went back to the original version of the story by having him bitten by a "radioactive" spider, and having him use mechanical web shooters.

I'm thiking/assuming that this is going to be an adaptation of the "Ultimate Marvel" version of Spider-Man. As an aside, I understand that Sony's live-action movies are a loose adaptation of the "Ultimate" version as well.
Yeah I am aware of what Ultimate Spider Man is. I just thought this would be a continuation of Spectacular only under the Ultimate banner.

RONDC20

Swashbuckling Rouge
I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet. I'm with Rick Jones on this one. He described my feelings exactly.

I'm not at all a fan of the Ultimate Marvel Universe. I much prefer classic Marvel.

However there is no official word on the cancellation of SSM. If the intention was for this new series to completely replace Spectacular then why would they not just simply say that SSM has been canceled and that this new Ultimate series is going to replace it.

Why do they continue to give us the run around despite the fact that another Spider-Man animated series has been announced?

KCJ506

Dang it!

I should have known Disney would make their own Spidey rather than pick up SSM especially with the new movie round the corner.

BLAST!

Master Toon

Spider-man plus other Marvel Super Heroes = Big Big Win for me! I don't know if anyone knows this (even though I mentioned it 1000 times) but I love superhero crossovers. If this is anything like The Brave and The Bold I'm going to have the biggest nerdgasm ever. You'll hear it at home, at work, at the office, in the shower, in a box, with a fox and everywhere in between. Woo Hoo! Ya Hoo! Yippie!

Oh and as for Spectacular it was pretty good. I even like it more than the 90's series. But this new Ultimate Spider-Man has the potential to be great. How come no one is celebrating like I am? C'mon let's see those cheers and enough of the jeers. Oh yeah!

Nygma

The sky is falling!:sad:

If there's any justice in the animation world, a later update will reveal that this is a continuation of Spectacular Spider-Man with a new name. But I'm not holding my breath.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

carnage89

OMG, WHY? Marvel, Disney, tell me, why? New Spidey series instead of continuing Spectacular? I hate you all!

KCJ506

Spider-man plus other Marvel Super Heroes = Big Big Win for me!

I also like the idea of him teaming up with other heroes, that's one of the things I liked the most about the 90's cartoon, but we could have that just as well in a 3rd season of SSM.

Oh and as for Spectacular it was pretty good. I even like it more than the 90's series. But this new Ultimate Spider-Man has the potential to be great. How come no one is celebrating like I am? C'mon let's see those cheers and enough of the jeers. Oh yeah!
Because once again they're prematurely canceling a Greg Weisman cartoon. One that already has been praised and established as an awesome cartoon

But USM? Really? So what, are we getting Goblin Hulk?

capfan1

This is great news!Hopefully this new series will show what spidey should be like.I liked some of the (90's)spiderman animated series shows but this sounds promising.I now can say what others have said that the dark age of spiderman is over,meaning that last silly series he had.Another thing,just because it's title is "ultimate spiderman" don't really mean it's based on the ultimates comics,I truly hope not.

young101

It will most likely be based off ultimate, otherwise, why would they make a new series?

And even I have to say i'm intrigued by the potential of the series, but I would have loved spectacular to at least have some closure to what they started. Maybe they will let vic cook and greg work on the show, but I can't help wonder how awkward that might feel. Or maybe not. I'd like to hear their reactions to this.

W.C.Reaf

Ultimate Spider-man used mechanical same as the original comics and Spectacular had a genetically altered Spider not a radioactive one. They’re both very similar in the basic sense. They’re both retellings of the original high school Spidey with Pete balancing out money problems, school life, catching bad guys, and relationship drama, they both did revisions of characters and villains for a more modernised story.

Isn't this the same as Spectacular? I mean a young Peter Parker dealing with his powers and relationships. Perphaps is continuation of Spectacular.

Yeah it does, at least from the description they've given out. The only difference is "Spidey teaming up with other Marvel Super Heroes as well as new characters" which the Ultimate Spidey comics didn't do that much of in the beginning. If they have Shadowcat as a regular character then I’ll be happy about the new show.

I just don't see why they didn't continue SSM and start a new Marvel Team-Up show if they wanted to do "Spidey teaming up with other Marvel Super Heroes" stuff, or just let Greg Weisman do crossovers on SSM which he has said he had plans for.

Superpan

Wait, aren't they worried that kids will be confused by the similarity between the two shows? How will the creative team be able to come up with stories? They can't do the comic book on a kid's show and Greg did alot of these type of stories already, so what are they going to do/ Wouldn't it be easier to just continue the old show? Didn't Greg say he'd tell us if it was cancelled?

If this show is not a rebranding of Spectacular Spider-Man, then this is in order

Spectacular Spider-Man
2008-2009

Cause of death: The Semper Curse

As Obi-Wan Kenobi would say,

"You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to be the Spidey show we always wanted, not have the same life span as Spider-Man Unlimited!"

RONDC20

Swashbuckling Rouge
I'm with you W.C.Reaf I just find this whole thing premature and stupid and totally unnecessary.

Sigh! I guess I should be used to these kinds of disappointments when it comes to Superhero cartoons.

Another superhero animated show that I loved and was prematurely canceled was Legion of Superheroes. That was such a great show and it was canceled after only 2 seasons also. UGH! I'm still waiting for complete season dvd box sets of that show. I just cant believe that a great animated series about one of the most popular superheroes can't get past 2 seasons and meanwhile a show like Ben 10 is already going on it's 3rd incarnation.

I mean the staying power that Ben 10 has is astounding. The original show had 4 seasons and 2 TV movies one animated and one live action. Then came Ben 10: Alien Force and that had another 3 seasons and another live action TV movie. Now it's going on it's 3rd incarnation as Ben 10: Ultimate Alien and that has already been picked up for a second season.

That's a total of 9 seasons of Ben 10. I mean WOW! Your telling me that BEN 10 is more popular than Spider-Man? Why is it that Ben 10 can have 9 seasons and Spectacular Spider-Man can't get past 2? Someone explain that to me. This is not to say that BEN 10 is a bad show. I quite enjoyed it, but I do feel that it has gotten really stale and in my opinion it has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts