"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,470 4
177A Bleecker Street
I hope they reveal some info on a few characters and VAs, particularly Spidey's, show some character designs and possibly have a trailer or some clips ready (that might be released officially to online sources like MAA). I'm not getting my hopes up too highly but it would be ideal for me if they did these things today.

Medinnus

Staff member
Oct 21, 2010
Ratings
Colorado Springs
From SDCC (Taken from the CBR live streaming coverage):

* Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk are all said to show up in the series.
* Drake Bell is the voice of Spider-Man. Shot of Spider-Man vs. Dr. Doom.
* Stan Lee will have a recurring role as a janitor at Peter Parker's high school.
* Chi McBride will voice Nick Fury.
* Clark Gregg reprises his Marvel movie role as Agent Coulson in the animated series. He'll also be the principal of Peter Parker's high school.
* Raimi movie Jonah J.K. Simmons is the voice of J. Jonah Jameson.
* Steven Weber is the voice of Norman Osborn.
* Trailer shows Spider-Man against Elektra, Venom, Dr. Doom, and it looks like maybe Power Man and Iron Fist are assisting him in one shot.
* There will be a Spider-Ham episode. "We took that inspiration from the late, great Mike Wieringo," Loeb says
(Is it wrong that that news I find the best of all?)

ktk

Mar 1, 2011
USA
Spider-Ham!!!!!!

Holy smack, didn't see that one coming. Awesome.

But on top of that: Dr Doom, Iron Fist, Elektra, Power Man, Iron Man, Thor, Stan the Janitor, Agent Coulson, Hulk, Venom, Osborn, Electro, and Captain America.

I like. Especially the fun little additions like Agent Coulson and Stan Lee.

bring on the trailer!

Wonderwall

Staff member
Mar 4, 2006
Ratings
279 1
Canada
I think a lot of that sounds kinda neat. Spider Ham sounds like it could be a lot of fun. And for as much flak that Loeb gets( sometimes deservedly so ) for his work it was real awesome of him to give a shout out to ol' Ringo.

ktk

Mar 1, 2011
USA
It's not just the Spider-Ham appearance, but also the report that one of the clips showed Spidey breaking the fourth wall (talking to the audience). Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a wacky show though. The rest of the clip descriptions sounded like some pretty serious action. Heck, I'd LOVE it if different episodes adopted different tones and styles, as befitting the story.

Dragnatek

Apr 21, 2011
Ratings
Hammond IN
Drake Bell will probably make a good Spider-man, though he is a surprise. i would have figured they would pick someone who started as a Disney Channel Star over someone who started on Nick. Then again actors are not mutually exclusive.

A Spider-Ham episode? Sweet

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,470 4
177A Bleecker Street
I like Drake Bell and I think he might make a decent Spidey, even though this casting is making me remember Superhero Movie. Chi McBride as Fury should be really interesting to hear. I don't have an opinion on Weber as Osborn but this does me remind that he was Drake's foe in the live-action Fairly OddParents movie.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
Apr 17, 2007
Ratings
USA
I think I'm one of the five people in the world who doesn't like Spider-Ham at all, so the news of a Spider-Ham episode doesn't make me excited, it just makes me face-palm (same with the report of Spidey breaking the fourth wall . . . HE DOESN'T DO THAT). And that's the tip of the iceberg with me.

It looks like with USM they opted to go the exact opposite approach of SSM in every way.

1. SSM had its humorous moments but stayed fairly grounded and had some dark moments and relied on the substance of its characters, both heroic and villainous. The mere mention of "Spider-Ham" lends me to think this series will be far wackier and stylized, and will rely more on a "cool factor" more than substance.

2. USM looks to be going with a celebrity-heavy cast, unlike SSM. Yeah, SSM had its celebrities too but its celebrities generally had a ton of voice-acting experience like Clancy Brown and Lacey Chabert.

3. SSM had zero appearances from non-Spidey Marvel characters. USM is going to be packed with them.

. . . I could go on but I'm just going to piss people off so I'll just stop.

It would not surprise me if this series turns out to be a critically-ravaged piece of garbage and yet becomes this massive hit that propels this series past the 65-episode mark set by the famed Spider-Man: TAS. Which, again, will be the exact opposite of SSM.

But yeah, I'm not happy. I'm this close to being sure that this crew just plain does not get Spider-Man.

The dried icing on this moldy, crumbling cake is the unannounced revealing that this show has absolutely nothing to do with the comic it's based on. Which I expected so it's not a blow to me, but it is still fairly sad.

Apr 13, 2010
Ratings
Puerto Rico
* Chi McBride will voice Nick Fury.
I love Cho McBride, so this is awesome!

* Clark Gregg reprises his Marvel movie role as Agent Coulson in the animated series. He'll also be the principal of Peter Parker's high school.
Also awesome!

* Trailer shows Spider-Man against Elektra, Venom, Dr. Doom, and it looks like maybe Power Man and Iron Fist are assisting him in one shot.
Elektra? I guess that means King pin will show up. Also Iron Fist and Cage? Sweet!

* There will be a Spider-Ham episode. "We took that inspiration from the late, great Mike Wieringo," Loeb says
(Is it wrong that that news I find the best of all?)
Nothing wrong at all, i love Spider-Ham too.

This! Is! Awesome!

But yeah, I'm not happy. I'm this close to being sure that this crew just plain does not get Spider-Man.
I disagree, it seems they get him just fine.

Besides, Spider-man teams up with non-Spider characters all the time. His friendship with Daredevil and Human Torch have always been important parts of the character and he stared in "Marvel Team-Up"which was him teaming up with other Marvel heroes.

It's fine it's not your thing, but personally i thing they get him just fine. I think this all sounds cool.

Btw, several of the guys in the cast have done voice work before.

And Spider-Ham is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I'm rewatching Justice League and I'm sort of weird ed out how old Superman looked in the earlier seasons
Yeah... I just watched the end of Peepoodo... And I wish I hadn't. If I'm considered a wuss for liking Milo Murphy's Law. Big City Greens, Summer Camp Island, Clarence, Craig of the Creek, Hilda, Harvey Beaks, Harvey Street Kids and even The Loud House - not to mention LPS (2012, 2018) SO MUCH MORE because at least those shows have some constraint to not be this gross - then I could care less what you think of me.
Yeah I'm probably not coming back
I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P