TV Life stuff

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
Inspired by the Lost Art of TV Guide advertising, I thought I'd do something of my own, but instead of the '80s and '90s, I thought I'd go back further to 1954. If people like this, I'll make more, so if you want me to delve into my other issues, just say so!
TV Life - Part 1

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Not sure how far out of Portland this will gain interest, but I found that really fascinating. Can you get me a higher-resolution scan of that Dave Garroway ad? I sometimes slip really old kitschy ads into BANG where real ad space isn't sold.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
KPTV on channel 27? From what I know, in the mid 1950's, they merged with the local channel 12, forcing it to move to the aforementioned channel.
I assume that channel 12 (before KPTV took it) was with ABC.

Kung-Fu Yoshi

I liked the TV Life thing. Was it a national or local magazine? And was Space Patrol a local program?

Hopefully episodes exist somewhere...

Chris

I don't know, either. I just thought they were really cool, so I picked them up at the flea market.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I assume that TV Life was local. It was probably a magazine that served as one of the many predecessors to TV Guide (which was around at the time). Or did TV Life start in the same year as TV Guide's birth and KGW's launch? Who knows...

Chris

What we do know is that TV Life started in 1953, and that KGW was not listed as a TV station. Only KPTV and KOIN were.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I've never heard of "Adventures of Blinky." I wonder what kind of adventures he had.

Did you notice all the ads with telephone numbers only have four digits?

Chris

Well, phone numbers back then had a prefix which was two letters, usually uppercase, like, for example, JUdson 4747. You would dial the J (number 5) then U (number 8) and then the four digits.

Chris

Number 4 is up. I'm thinking of restarting TV Life, only using Portland/Salem broadcast stations instead. Anyone want to subscribe?
TV Life part 4.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
So many repairmen. Were TVs so cheaply made that they were breaking this fast? None of the tubes in the area could be that old.

You likely already know that until the 1980's it was common practice to rename network shows that entered syndication.

"Pig'n Bun." What an awesome name for a restaurant. I wonder if it morphed into Pig'n Pancake.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts