TV Channels that never left their embryonal stage

AdrenalineRush1996

There was almost a TV network merger all the way back in 1953 when ABC and the DuMont network agreed to merge but despite FCC approval, the latter's part-owner Paramount ultimately called off the merger for antitrust reasons.

SpongeBobFan2004

The Latin American TV channel historian
CPV-TV, a failed partnership between Chrysalis, David Paradine and Virgin. CPV bid against Carlton, (actual winner (London)) Meridian, (actual winner (the South)) and Anglia (the East) for the rights to air ITV for these regions. This was also the period when ITV transformed from a partnership between the IBA and ITV franchises, to what we know today.

AdrenalineRush1996

After the Portuguese government approved the arrival of private television, there were three bids vowing to take channels 3 and 4 with SIC and TVI winning it in 1992 while there was an unsuccessful one in form of TV1, which was owned by Presslivre, who at the time owned Correio da Manhã. Though the channel never happened, the newspaper (now owned by Cofina) would indeed launch their own channel in 2013 with CMTV.

AdrenalineRush1996

There were plans for a mixed genre channel on Freeview in the UK called CBM TV back in 2003, which never materialised due to CBM Media failing to meet the contract launch conditions and they attempted again with a free-to-air sports channel, which would've predated Freesports by fourteen years, though said sports channel never materialised for the same reason.

Mr Chilean

In 1996, it was planned in Brazil to launch Canal de Notícias TVA (joint venture between TVA, A&E and SBT, but it was never happened in favor to a Brazilian version of CBS Telenoticias by SBT) and CNBC Brasil (a joint venture between NBC, Exame magazine and Grupo Abril, and it was originally to launched on July 1996, but never happened)

Source: ESPECIAL TVA DIGISAT - Arquivo Super Canal TV www.supercanaltv.com.br

AdrenalineRush1996

RTP planned to launch a music channel back in 2012 but it never materialised. Here's the promo for it.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Threw out my back on Sunday. Huge crippling pain and I could barely move. Still recovering.

My best friend is still in the hospital too. This week sucks.
It's not impossible for preschool shows to have videos with millions of views, but 7 million views in less than 2 weeks is surprising.

I have the Craig of the Creek: Capture the Flag promo played on TNT recently while watching Despicable Me 2.
that sad moment when you realize that Nickelodeon could've greenlighted another original cartoon but choose not to then waste it's resources on greenlighting another season of Fairly Oddparents just because they want to keep Butch Hartman.
Mike Milo's LinkedIn profile says he's a director for Harley Quinn season 3. He's worked on shows like Pinky And The Brain, Xiaolin Showdown, Chowder, Phineas And Ferb, Randy Cunningham, Curious George, and Scooby Doo And Guess Who, amongst other credits.

Featured Posts