TV Channels that never left their embryonal stage

Latest News & Videos

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Mar 29, 2018
Today I was reading on another forum a thread about anime in TV in UK and I've read that Sony in 2007 had plans to launch Animax here but ultimately failed.
So, do you know about more cases of channels that were announced or hinted and never came for a reason or another?

I'll start here with some Italian examples.
- Even Italy could have gotten Animax, as Sony did test the waters with an anime block on our AXN in 2006. It went nowhere.
- Fox was thinking to launch an Italian version of 24Kitchen. Never happened.
- Reading this article, Sundance Channel would have launched on the Italian DTT in 2010. Of course, you got the drill, this didn't happen.
Talking of this, in 2009, on one of the DTT muxes, it did appear a test channel with a card with Rainbow Media (The old name of AMC Networks), Sundance Channel, IFC and WEtv's logos on it. Maybe the things were connected.

Reactions: RegularCapital
There are a few channels I can think of from the top of my head that failed to launch for whatever reason:

CBM: CBM was supposed to launch on Freeview in the UK back in 2003. It was supposed to air a simulcast on Bloomberg, non-major sports and independent movies. Turner Classic Movies was originally going to launch of Freeview on the same channel number but the slot went to CBM instead. CBM had some organisation issues launching, so the slot was taken up by Ideal World instead.

INK (ITV Nickelodeon Kids): This was supposed to be a joint venture with ITV and Nickelodeon, but there was disagreements on how the channel would be run, there were also talks with Disney as well. ITV decided to go it alone with their own CITV channel.

Jetix (Portugal): Jetix in Portugal should've launched, it even had an Ofcom licence, therefore it had the legal clearance to actually broadcast but it never happened. Fox Kids/Jetix focused more on localisation than most International kids channels and Portugal was pretty much the only one country in Western Europe where it didn't broadcast. Instead of a channel, there were plans for a programming block.

Last edited:
Reactions: themidnightlore

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
In 2007, there were plans to launch a Flemish Jetix in spring 2008. Pokemon and Totally Spies would be dubbed into Netherlandic Dutch, everything else would get a new Flemish dub.

This somehow still happened with the launch of the boy's channel Kadet (2015-2018), managed by Daan van Leeuwen, who used to be programme director for Fox Kids / Jetix Europe. However, they mostly used Netherlandic dubs.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Jetix (Portugal): Jetix in Portugal should of launched, it even had an Ofcom licence, therefore it had the legal clearance to actually broadcast but it never happened. Fox Kids/Jetix focused more on localisation than most International kids channels and Portugal was pretty much the only one country in Western Europe where it didn't broadcast. Instead of a channel, there were plans for a programming block.
It sorta happened in form of Panda Biggs (now Biggs) and SIC K.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Both "Le Corn Maze Of Doom" and "Too Cute To Spook" are tied with 1 vote each. I'll be tiebreaker. I pick "Too Cute To Spook" to move on. The next matchup is between the Elena Of Avalor episode "The Return Of El Capitan" and the Vampirina episode "Dia De Los Muertos".

Watch Herman The Mice On The Go!
I think twitter social media posts seems to be more advantages... I have a bad feeling, that some or few twitter posts can be containing bully message of racists, I don't know maybe it's best for me to leave twitter, it's just not worth it if people express opinions, or someone maybe politics...
Today's Ollie's Pack episode: second half episode beginning has two sick friends but not the main plot
Remember when Ben Bates criticized the animation of the recent Marvel cartoons when he talked about his Captain Marvel cartoon that wasn't picked up? Well, here's a drawing he did of Hawkeye.