TRANSFORMERS: WAR FOR CYBERTRON Coming to Netflix

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK

FJ DeSanto (Transformers: Titans Return, Transformers: Power of the Primes) is the showrunner, and contributing writers will include George Krstic (Megas XLR), Gavin Hignight (Transformers: Cyberverse), and Brandon Easton (Agent Carter, Transformers: Rescue Bots).

The series will have "a new animation look and style that presents the Transformers like you've never seen them before." John Derderian, Netflix's director of anime, “In this Transformers origin story, we will explore the expansive universe of Cybertron in a way that audiences have never seen before - to the delight of both existing fans and those coming to the franchise for the first time."

I was excited, but then I saw who the showrunner is. Hope it's a great one.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, off-hand I'm very apprehensive about another animated work by the people behind the Prime Wars trilogy, but with Netflix and Polygon Pictures attached hopefully that means a stronger product overall :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I heard about this a couple of months ago. Supposedly the title of the first cartoon is supposed to be "Transformers Siege". According to Wikipedia it's supposed to be connected to the Prime Wars Trilogy too.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This looks like it will be mostly just... war.
Not my cup of tea, but who knows! I'll definitely check it out, mostly because of George Krstic.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Rooster Teeth is involved? Wow.

I'll say this, if it ends up being really good, this will basically be the show the Machinima series wanted to be.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I'm glad to see Polygon Pictures handling animation duties. Hopefully, having a studio that has a solid background in CGI and Transformers could be what makes the difference.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Rooster Teeth is involved? Wow.

I'll say this, if it ends up being really good, this will basically be the show the Machinima series wanted to be.

Why the surprise about Rooster Teeth? The remains of Machinima was merged into them. This is a followup to their mess.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Yeah, this is the same continuity as Prime Wars Trilogy.
I'm not so sure of that. Prime Wars and War for Cybertron are toylines under the "Generations" banner. This banner also includes:
  • Fall of Cybertron
  • Thrilling '30
  • Transformers Devastation
  • Transformers: Earth Wars
  • The recently concluded IDW comics continuity
  • The upcoming IDW comics continuity
A bunch of things that shared character designs and general concepts, but were set in completely different continuities.

Frontier

Staff member
Same continuity as Prime Wars? Looks like Megatron wont be showing up unfortunately (and he was the best character of that whole thing).
Whether it's in-continuity or not, I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be set during the Great War, so Megatron will probably show up :).

Casting-wise, I will not be disappointed if they bring Jason Marnocha back as Megatron ;).

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Hasbro must be getting a bit desperate if they're already pushing out yet another Transformers series so soon and are relying on TF/DC origins and Netflix to land a hit. Is this going to be CGI or cartoony again or actually solid looking this time around?

Frontier

Staff member
Hasbro must be getting a bit desperate if they're already pushing out yet another Transformers series so soon and are relying on TF/DC origins and Netflix to land a hit. Is this going to be CGI or cartoony again or actually solid looking this time around?
Considering it's animated by Polygon Pictures, it's definitely going to be CGI.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Sigh. Not sure what to say really. I mean, yeah, looking at their record it makes sense. It's what they do and they worked on TF before. It's just that ever since G1 ended we practically got only CGI/Flash show after show. In some cases it worked out and was fine since it was fresh at the time, but at the same time it's become boring after 25+ years. Not hating on 3D per se, there's some good 3D out there too, but in the case of TF I'd say that it all looks almost the same and not that great even though you can get used to it. They should imo either go full anime and be like Energon/Cybertron/Armada or back to cel or come up with something new and if they can't then just put the series to rest. Maybe it's the amount of TF content, do we really still need more at this point I ask, that's bothering me as well.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I personally find the Unicron robot designs ugly. Too many details. Maybe I would have gotten used to those styles if the plots were fine, but that wasn't the case. (and Energon and Cybertron were supposed to be "my" series)

Some Transformers comics also have so-detailed-it's-ugly art.
More Than Meets the Eye's art is perfect in my opinion: serious, but still a bit cartoony, lots of details, but not too many.

Something along the lines of MTMTE's art would be nice for a 2D cartoon, but I don't mind more CGI cartoons.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts