Transformers: Cyberverse

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
It was actually pretty cool that Windblade was able to escape, more or less, by herself (sorry, Bee). I'm just a bit torn on if that makes her look great, or just makes the Decepticons look particularly bad. Maybe both.

Shockwave still inspires fear in his troops, I see.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
So we start off with a fun pick up game and I give praise to how well this show handles backgrounds and sets.

It's not a Transformers show until the Decepticons bicker and jockey amongst themselves to the detriment of the faction as a whole.

The show has come a long way from the first two episodes in terms of fight choreography. Windblade's improvised turbines was a creative use of the character's abilities in a way that I was not expecting.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I noticed a huge hole that was sort of brushed by until this episode because usually the Cybertron scenes involve the Transformers in robot mode. But why do the bots have vehicles modes based on modern Earth vehicles centuries ago if they never visited it during the period those vehicles were made?
Perhaps modern Earth vehicles are based on Transformers instead. (à la Transformers: Animated where the entire city was based on Cybertronian life and technology)

I thought episode 13 was rather boring. I missed Windblade already :D

Episode 14 was much better, but could someone please explain the very last sentence to me? In French they said all they have to do is déterrer (dig up?) the new autobot. Is the new autobot buried under ground?

I had to laugh when Slipstream was like "No! No! No! Nothing of importance happened in the last 13 episodes! This can't be!" XD

RTL7 premiered episode 1 to 13 every Sunday, one day after the American premiere, but now they're on hiatus...

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Wait, really? Does your dub usually break the fourth wall?
No, that's not what she said, just my interpretation. They showed clips from the previous episodes and she said "Non! Non! Non!".

I have seen the episode in English now. She said "All we have to do is dig him up". I think the French took it too literally. Or is the King of Dinosaurs really buried under ground?

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I have seen the episode in English now. She said "All we have to do is dig him up". I think the French took it too literally. Or is the King of Dinosaurs really buried under ground?

Not that I know of, but maybe they assumed he would be. Like a fossil or something.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This is the kind of thing Transformer Prime would have created an explanation for
Transformers Prime had alien robots speaking modern American English for centuries, but those same robots somehow couldn't understand Japanese (!!)

I always like to think that Cybertronians can understand and "speak" anything, just like Green Lanterns.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Transformers: Cyberverse “Siloed”

Best episode so far.

I groaned at the end. I kind of wanted Windblade to escape that on her own. She was more than capable of it. Stupid male-centric toyline, always gotta get Bee in, even when the episode don’t even need him to work.

Acid Storm seems to have a slight bit of a conscience. Who knew?

Thundercracker seems to be the Decepticon office dolt. He’s Jerry from Parks and Rec. And if we want to mix up out Office Mockumentary characters, Slipstream seems to be Michael Scott in the boss being secretly dumb and having no control over the situation. And Shockwave is Jan. Of course. The crazy and scary guy everyone fears who only shows up when you mess up. And like Michael and Jan, Slipstream and his sexual tension is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Or maybe not. Because as stupid as Jan thought Michael was, I can’t ever picture her telling him that they’d need a competent office drone to fix the bridge, or at least instructions for dummies... which he is transmitting for her. That struck me as my favorite moment on the show so far.

Dynamite episode. *****.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Imagine a situation in real life where you met someone gesticulating as wildly as Starscream was in that conference call.

Also, remember when vid chat was science fiction?

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
350px-cyberverse_2018_logo-png.204112

This Week...

Episode 15

King of the Dinosaurs

Windblade and Bee uncover a buried Autobot who turns out to be an old friend.​

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Transformers: Cyberverse “King Of The Dinosaurs”

“Congratulations! Your new friend is a dinosaur!”

Understatement. Heh.

Enjoyable episode on every level, except one gripe I’ll get to later. But I found myself enjoying this in a way I never did Transformers: Robots In Disguise. This show will never be as great as Transformers Prime. The 11 minute runtime means that by necessity. But it’s already more fun than Robots In Disguise. And they gave a good reason for Grimlock’s dinosaur form to boot. It’s interesting they put in that (appreciated) effort when they have been playing it fast and loose with the car and plane modes on Cybertron. It’s nice to know where the plausibility line lies.

Grimlock is super cute. I love him swinging his legs like a kid while he’s listening to the song, and I felt genuine sympathy over the idea that the dinosaurs millions or years ago became his actual friends in the way the human sidekicks did the rest of the Bots on all of the previous series. And I feel like we missed out on a cool potential series.

Unfortunately, that brings me to my gripe. We didn’t miss out on enough. I’ll just say it. There shouldn’t have been a flashback in this episode, or at least one related to the bots visually by Teletraan-X. You have my permission to tell your current story, Cyberverse, without setting up a bunch of context for everything. Having the audience question things like Grimlock’s motives, or how he got there would be an equally valid story choice, and probably MORE interesting. This show is so invested in world-building and mythology, it can’t even tell an interesting story we have been dying for in a straightforward manner. And it’s not like an 11 minute cartoon actually NEEDS that kind of filler and padding. And I appreciate the set-up most weeks. But there should definitely also be our fair share of weeks where we just get down to freaking business, and sort everything out later. I am willing to be patient and not spoonfed everything immediately. I suspect I’d enjoy the show even more if I had a bunch of unanswered questions to obsess over and debate online every week. The show would be a much richer experience if they didn’t need to show their hand on every single detail. Believe in your premise, and your audience, Cyberverse. Your show will be better for it.

But it’s not like I wasn’t wearing a big dopey grin on my face at the end of that anyways. You can’t kid a kidder about stuff like that. ****1/2.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
350px-cyberverse_2018_logo-png.204112

This Week...

Episode 16

The Extinction Event

The newly formed team of Autobots must stop Shockwave from destroying all life on the planet.​

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Flemish channel vtmKzoom will change its name to VTM Kids and premiere Transformers: Cyberverse on December 22nd. "New" episodes every day at 08:00pm, reruns at 11:25am. It's already on CN and YouTube, but this is the third most popular kids channel here.

If anyone wants to hear the Belgian voices of Windblade :) (with Dutch and French subtitles)

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Thundercracker is that one co-worker or classmate we all know.

Shockwave's on planet for about a minute and is already setting up an apocalypse.

Grimlock's a fun guy. Possibly my favorite take on the character.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Transformers: Cyberverse "The Extinction Event"

Just based on the story the episode title promised, that should NOT have been an 11 minute cartoon. 22 minutes would have been pushing it. That's the kind of situation you save for two-parters of 22 minutes each.

I mean, the runtime to the show is so short that Grimlock just shows up and stops the Decepticons. There are no added complications to the climax that there would be in a good 22 minute episode this otherwise dire. And I think that CN screwed the pooch with greenlighting this as only 11 minutes. Frankly, were I in charge of the show I'd be working around this by doing a ton of two or three-parters. It's not like the show isn't already heavily serialized or that CN actually reruns it. I think the 11 minute running time is hurting the show while it largely remains a relatively dramatic action cartoon. Which needs longer episodes split up into 11 minutes. They can't actually tell an entire story properly in this shortened format. **1/2.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child

This Week...

Episode 17

Awaken Sleeping Giants

The Autobot team finally discovers the location of the Ark.​

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Despite the tepid reception, I actually enjoyed seeing Argylle in the cinema.
Shania Twain > Taylor Swift. That is all.
I wish the internet would quit pushing sites like Temu and Shein onto me. I can't stand them, for numerous reasons.
I almost forgot to mention, but I'm doing another Media Brackets competition

X-Men '97 is good so far, but don't forget that angst does not automatically equal depth. Just adding swears and piling on cheap tragedies doesn't instantly make your work deep or mature.

Featured Posts