Top Cat?

FTPC

Currently I have notice that boomrang has remove or taken top cat off of the line and has replace it with Dexter's lab why? what is the reason for that call?

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
It's probably just a simple shuffling of the lineup. They have to occasionally rotate the schedule from time to time just for the sake of variety. Networks do this all the time. I don't think there's anything sinister behind it.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
There's no conspiracy here. Boomerang is a reruns channel, after all, and you can only show the same reruns at the same times for so long before they start to become, well, repetitive. Boom was showing Super Friends at midnight for a very long time, up until a couple of months ago when it was replaced with The Herculoids, which wasn't the best idea if you ask me, because Herculoids doesn't have as many episodes to air as Super Friends did, so you'll inevitably end up seeing the same shows over and over again in the course of a couple of weeks.

Boom shuffled it's lineup. That's really all there is to it.

Gonzales

No need to get all bent out of shape. He just asked a question.

Anyway, Top Cat is gone for now, but it will be back. It always is.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
No need to get all bent out of shape. He just asked a question.

Anyway, Top Cat is gone for now, but it will be back. It always is.

Who's getting bent out of shape? I just answered the question.

And no, Top Cat isn't off of the Boom's lineup for good. Both TC and Super Friends will return.

Last edited by a moderator:

FTPC

when will top cat be king for a month on boomer-royailty?

KJ Styles

The Instant Classic
when will top cat be king for a month on boomer-royailty?

I WOULD LOVE IT if Top Cat was Boomeroyality!! I think TC was one of the most underrated toons of all time. The advanced vocabulary he was using was truly ahead of it's time. It truly baffles me why it only had 30 episodes. The only thing I can come up with is that it ran in prime time instead of Saturday mornings. I think it would have lasted longer if it were a Sat AM toon.

I loved the way TC always outsmarted Officer Dibble and even had Dibble on his side occassionally. He was the ULTIMATE con artist! Benny and Choo Choo were awesome as well. It sucks that Boom has taken it off but it's at least good to know that it'll be back in the spring. They should ABSOLUTELY make Top Cat Boomeroyality someday. They should do it in March so it can lead up to his return in April. That would be genius!!

He's the Boss, He's the VIP, he's the championship!!!!

Steve Carras

SUGAR RUSH!!!!
The show had its own unusual attributes that even among prime-time Hanna-Barbera comedy series would distuinish it..

The Bilko-esque cat and his buddies negoiating or pulling the wool, er, full over Dibbles's eyes to get T.C. or the others whatever he wanted.

The unusual H.Curti score for this show, among his best.

The unusual shapes,esp.of Benny the Ball.

Likewise the color scheme.

The stylized NYC setting.

This goes without saying, but the interesting voice casting of Arnold Stang, to "imitate" Phil Silvers as Bilko for T.C., as well as a number of raido and TV based but non-animation roles, that obviously had to have been done for realism's sake [Allen Jenkins as Off.Dibble, ironically never used by WB in their cartoons despite his appearances in their non-animated features there], and even the Bilko syngery [Prvt.Doberman=roly poly radio character actor Maurice Gosfield=Benny the Ball!] there.

The fun theme song that KJ Styles just quoted!

Top Cat had the Flintstones syndrome of being rerun with standardised stock credits. Bea Benadaret can be heard a la her Betty Rubble in a Benny the Balkl';s mother episode, but isn't credited, but Paul Frees does other voices and IS credited. Howard Fein noted on rec.arts.animation, having this, that the original credits on the DVD DO have the original credits so Herb Vigran [also on the Flintstones, such as that beleagured "Mailman Cometh" cop whose police sargent thinks him a nut, the one who snooped aorund Freed and Barney, as well as that one in the Barney is a Klepto episode], and even GeGe Pearson [the later Crusader Rabbit and Granny in an odd Porky Pig swansong that reunited him and Daffy, "Corn on the Cop"].

Writer Kin Platt's noted on the stock end credits despite the actual fact of more writers, due to the posting of "gang credits" [not in baggy jeans :p] in syndication, like on the Flintstones and in all episodes of many animated serie,s including the concurrent "Alvin Show" and each seasons Rocky show.

The actual Top Cats had different credits at the end just as much as any others [like the Flintstones.] There was also an episode based on "Queen for a Day", or some show gthat had the voice of the actual show's host.

Top Cat had the Flintstones syndrome of being rerun with standardised stock credits. Bea Benadaret can be heard a la her Betty Rubble in a Benny the Balkl';s mother episode, but isn't credited, but Paul Frees does other voices and IS credited. Howard Fein noted on rec.arts.animation, having this, that the original credits on the DVD DO have the original credits so Herb Vigran [also on the Flintstones, such as that beleagured "Mailman Cometh" cop whose police sargent thinks him a nut, the one who snooped aorund Freed and Barney, as well as that one in the Barney is a Klepto episode], and even GeGe Pearson [the later Crusader Rabbit and Granny in an odd Porky Pig swansong that reunited him and Daffy, "Corn on the Cop"].

Thanks for the nod, Steve. Just one correction: The Complete Series DVD did not actually contain the original closing credits for each TOP CAT episode. Rather, there was a Bonus Feature consisting of a newly created 'gang credit' sequence (just rolling credits over a plain background under the famous theme song).

That's when it comes to light that some very familiar names from H-B cartoons and sitcoms- Barry E. Blitzer, Harvey Bullock, Joanna Lee, Tony Benedict, even Mike Maltese- contributed scripts for the show. All the 'guest voices' (Vigran, Pearson, Benadaret, Herschel Bernardi, Don Messick, Daws Butler, Jean VanderPyl, Hal Smith, Walker Edminston) and animators used throughout the 30 episodes are represented as well.

Of course, each episode in the DVD contains the standard closing credits for Platt, Frees, Muse, Hathcock et al. (I believe these are the credits for the Dibble Breaks The Record episode.) Similarly, the JETSONS DVD contains the closing credits for The Little Man, just as the CN/Boomerang reruns do. Happily, the Season 3 through 6 release of THE FLINTSTONES seems to feature the actual credit sequence for each episode.

Another facet of the show that makes it unique is its regular voice cast. The very versatile Maurice Gosfield and LeoDeLyon, who were not part of H-B's stock actor team, also provided voices for many incidental characters which was de riguer for the studio at that time . This gave it a different ambience. (Of course, regular John Stephenson did his share of incidentals as well.) It doesn't appear that Stang, Kaplan or Jenkins voiced anyone other than their regular characters.

That TOP CAT wasn't rerun nearly as much as THE FLINTSTONES and THE JETSONS through the seventies and eighties made it seem much fresher when it resurfaced on video and cable.

hobbyfan

Top Cat did start as a prime time show. It lasted one season, and then ABC & H-B replaced it with the Jetsons.

KJ Styles

The Instant Classic
Top Cat did start as a prime time show. It lasted one season, and then ABC & H-B replaced it with the Jetsons.

That's a shame too. TC is a superior show to the Jetsons IMO. The only HB shows I'd put over it are Scooby-Doo, The Flinstones, and Yogi Bear.

I knew it was prime time though, I mentioned that in the first post I made in this thread. I had said that it would have lasted longer as a Sat AM toon.

And as Steve Carras mentioned, the theme song was awesome!!

Steve Carras

SUGAR RUSH!!!!
Thanks for the nod, Steve. Just one correction: The Complete Series DVD did not actually contain the original closing credits for each TOP CAT episode. Rather, there was a Bonus Feature consisting of a newly created 'gang credit' sequence (just rolling credits over a plain background under the famous theme song).

That's when it comes to light that some very familiar names from H-B cartoons and sitcoms- Barry E. Blitzer, Harvey Bullock, Joanna Lee, Tony Benedict, even Mike Maltese- contributed scripts for the show. All the 'guest voices' (Vigran, Pearson, Benadaret, Herschel Bernardi, Don Messick, Daws Butler, Jean VanderPyl, Hal Smith, Walker Edminston) and animators used throughout the 30 episodes are represented as well.

Of course, each episode in the DVD contains the standard closing credits for Platt, Frees, Muse, Hathcock et al. (I believe these are the credits for the Dibble Breaks The Record episode.) Similarly, the JETSONS DVD contains the closing credits for The Little Man, just as the CN/Boomerang reruns do. Happily, the Season 3 through 6 release of THE FLINTSTONES seems to feature the actual credit sequence for each episode.

Another facet of the show that makes it unique is its regular voice cast. The very versatile Maurice Gosfield and LeoDeLyon, who were not part of H-B's stock actor team, also provided voices for many incidental characters which was de riguer for the studio at that time . .

WOw..I knew that Leo DeLyon had been doing different voices but Maurice Gosfield? That's news to me..

Last edited by a moderator:

KJ Styles

The Instant Classic
FYI, Top Cat STILL AIRS on Boomerang at 1PM eastern. I discovered this today, so I don't know where the original poster got his info from.

Steve Carras

SUGAR RUSH!!!!
Another facet of the show that makes it unique is its regular voice cast. The very versatile Maurice Gosfield and LeoDeLyon, who were not part of H-B's stock actor team, also provided voices for many incidental characters which was de riguer for the studio at that time . This gave it a different ambience. QUOTE]

A similiar thing happened in 1964, three years after T.C.'s debut in 1961, over at Jay Ward with Hoppity Hooper where Chirstine Allen replaced June Foray as the do-all "child-type"[Hoppity here]/female voices, but regulars Paul Frees [including narration], Hans Conreid and as always, the unbilled Ward right hand man Bill Scott are there [and also Bill Conrad who narrated some later Hoopers too.]

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Asa
Have a safe Thanksgiving everyone.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all and stay safe.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Stay safe!