Top 10 Mario Games

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Just a couple days ago, WatchMojo had a video on the "Top 10 Mario Games of All Time":

10. Super Mario Bros. (1985)
9. Super Mario Sunshine (2002)
8. Super Mario 3D World (2012)
7. Super Mario World Yoshi’s Island (1995)
6. Super Mario Maker (2015)
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
4. Super Mario World (1991)
3. Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
2. Super Mario 64 (1996)
1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990)

Do you agree with that list? I might've included "New Super Mario U" for the Wii U (or the "Deluxe" version of that game that was just released on the Switch).

This replaces their old "Top 10 Mario Games" list from 5 to 6 years ago. The old list had "Donkey Kong", "Paper Mario" and "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars" on it (along with Gameboy games like "Super Mario Land"). This list feels more respectful to the core platform games on the main consoles.

What's your Top 10 Mario games? (I suppose you can feel free to include spinoffs like "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" or "Luigi's Mansion", if desired....).

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeMabbon

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
1. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
2. Super Mario 3D World
3. Super Mario 3D Land
4. Yoshi's Wooly World
5. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
6. Puzzles & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition
7. New Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Super Paper Mario
9. Paper Mario Sticker Star
10. Yoshi's New Island

Most of my experience with the series is as an adult so I don't have nostalgia for the "classics" like most gamers do. I've played a little bit of everything and find the older games far too difficult to be enjoyable.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Having played Mario games going all the way back to Donkey Kong in the early 80's, the more I think about it, I like their list. "Super Mario Bros. 3" in the top spot makes sense.....but I would've removed "Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island" on the list, and replaced it with "New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe".

How could they not have Super Mario Galaxy 1 on there?! It should be on there for introducing Rosalina alone!
I think Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are graphically close enough that they just wanted to pick the one which they thought was better.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
My Top 10 Mario Games

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Super Mario 3D World
7. Super Mario Maker
8. Paper Mario
9. Super Mario World
10. Super Mario Bros. 3

I played the Galaxy games out of order with Galaxy 2 then Galaxy, and I thought the original Galaxy was just better.

The only Mario RPG's I've played were RPG, Paper Mario, and Color Splash. I've played some of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story but I haven't finished them.

And Super Mario Sunshine is the only 3D Mario game I've haven't played since I never had a GameCube .

ShadowBlinky

One Cool Ghoul
May 17, 2009
Elmore Graveyard
www.youtube.com
My Top 10 Mario Games

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Super Mario RPG
4. Mario Kart 8
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Super Mario 3D World
7. Super Mario Maker
8. Paper Mario
9. Super Mario World
10. Super Mario Bros. 3

I played the Galaxy games out of order with Galaxy 2 then Galaxy, and I thought the original Galaxy was just better.

The only Mario RPG's I've played were RPG, Paper Mario, and Color Splash. I've played some of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story but I haven't finished them.

And Super Mario Sunshine is the only 3D Mario game I've haven't played since I never had a GameCube .
What about Super Mario 64?

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
May 13, 2003
I would not rank Mario 64 over Mario World or Odyssey. World is the more polished, fun experience by far and Odyssey handles the 3D formula better in every way.
Objectively, Odyssey is a better game. But I have such nostalgia for SM64, and it's one of the best speedrun games out there, that I don't object to it being on the list.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Super Mario 64 has historical significance, even if every 3D mario game since then has been better. In 1996/1997, it was huge.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Objectively, Odyssey is a better game. But I have such nostalgia for SM64, and it's one of the best speedrun games out there, that I don't object to it being on the list.
It should be on the list, but I would swap 64 and World's placement on the list.

Part of this is that early 3D games show their age in ways 2D games do not. SMB3 and SMW are pretty much pitch-perfect. SM64 is good, but it has obvious kinks that it's successors would work out.