Toonzone Talkback: Review: “Tenchi In Tokyo” Finds The Friend You Didn’t Know You Had

Latest News & Videos

Anime Superhero

The Ultimate Administrator
Administrator
Apr 20, 2001
New York
www.toonzone.net

A.Magik

Sep 28, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Eh...when I began watching Tenchi, I tended to avoid this series. My big issue at the time is its closure, that the Tenchi Family had to break up, that Tenchi had to leave the gang, etc. As a result, I was like 'don't watch/never happened.' It helped that this series was yet another in the Tenchi multiverse with different aspects that separated it from being a real sequel to the OVA or earlier TV series and movies (most particular alteration being that TinT Tenchi is not of any Juraian descent). That way, I could accept as one possible future, but not the main one. I did eventually watch the series, but I still felt it was the weakest.

The rest of the Tenchi girls suffered from character assassination. Ayeka's slightly biatchy personality (which only occurred when Ryoko was concerned) was multiplied to the point that she's not above stealing from her own sister, treating her hosts Nobuyuki and Grandpa like crap, and making Ryo-oki a scapegoat for her own mistakes.The competent Kiyone was rendered as accident-prone as Mihoshi. And Sasami had a nasty point as well. This assassination I suppose was to make the new girl Sakuya look SO much better by comparison.

Tenchi's character also weakened. In the OVA and TV series, he was shown to be a capable person who can handle his own fights. Here, he's relegated to damsel-in-distress, always needing one of the girls to save his butt (and things will get worse with Tenchi Muyo In Love 2/Forever, where he gets brainwashed and raped). I seem to understand that the 3rd OVA got Tenchi his OWNING groove back.

It's interesting that the OVA Manatsu No Eve was made around the same time and used elements of the same plot, but treated its characters with more respect (especially Ayeka).

That said, I think the best part was the villainess Yugi, with her plan to break up the family.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Lisa Ortiz's mother passed away.

I found this interview that Pam Arciero (Grundgetta from Sesame Street) took part in. I mainly skipped to 1:35, where she mentioned how production on the show ground to a halt because of the pandemic. There was about 1 more week of material to tape. She says they could start again in October, but that could change.
About done watching Sonic Boom Season 1 on DVD. Good in a sense to know the episode "Fire in a Crowded Workshop" only in Spanish dialogue isn't just me, but other unhappy posters to its Amazon page.

1:27:04-1:29:50

If it wasn't for the fact they're owned by different companies (Sesame Street on HBO and Helpsters on Apple TV, though both are from Sesame Workshop), I could totally see a crossover.