Toonzone Picks: The Top Video Games of the 2010's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Here we are, just a short while away from closing out the decade. It brings upon us a time of reflection, contemplation and VOTING THREADS!!!

Up for debate in this thread:

What are your Top Video Games of the 2010's?!?

Here's the set-up: Everyone will post their Top 10 (or at least your Top 5) picks in the category. Rank them in order, with your number one pick being which you feel is the absolute best, and going downward until you reach 5. The points go in reverse. Your #1 pick gets 10 points, #2 gets 9, etc. The total number of points determines it's placement in the final list.

We encourage everyone to explain their picks, but don't feel like you have to.

Voting will run from November 25th to December 16th! You can alter or edit any of your picks up until 11:59pm on December 16th, at which point all votes are final, the thread closed, and the final list determined.

Everyone get your votes in, and most importantly, have fun!

5YearsOnEastCoast

1. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Plants vs Zombies 2 (this does count right?)
3. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
4. Assassin's Creed Revelations
5. Sam & Max Devil Playhouse
6. LeChuck's Revenge Special Edition
7. Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
8. Civilization V
9. Broken Age
10. Far Cry 5

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

ToonJay723

Staff member
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Pokémon: Black and White
4. Super Mario Odyssey
5. Mario Kart 8

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
1. Pokémon Black and White
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising
3. Solatorobo
4. Super Smash Bros 3DS
5. Bejeweled 3

I haven’t played much 2015 onward.

Harmonie

Foreverrrrr!
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3. Pokémon Black/White
4. Pokémon Black 2/White 2
5. Persona 5
6. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
7. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
8. Pokémon X/Y
9. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
10. Super Mario Odyssey

Asa

1. Tomodachi Life
2. Splatoon/Splatoon 2
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS/Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
4. Super Mario 3D Land/Super Mario 3D World
5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
6. Fortnite
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (though I never played that game in my teen years)
8. Pokemon X/Y (only played the X version)
9. Super Mario Odyssey
10. Mario Kart 8/Deluxe

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
1: LittleBigPlanet 3/2/Vita
2: LEGO Worlds
3: Skylanders Trap Team
4: LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
5: Rayman Legends + Origins
6: Skylanders Giants/Adventure
7: Worms Battle Islands
8: LEGO Incredibles
9: Sam And Max: The Devil’s Playhouse
10: Yooka-Laylee

Honorable mentions:

Frobisher Says!
The Lego Movie/Ninjago Movie Videogame
Skylanders Swap Force/Superchargers/Imginators
every Angry Birds from this decade (excluding Dream Blast)
Quantum Conundrum
all Cut The Rope incarnations
SimplePlanes
Modnation Racers/Road Trip
Ratchet And Clank: All 4 One/2016

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Nothing's going to win anyway so I might as well vote even though I only know a few :D

1. Cuphead
2. Rayman Origins
3. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
4. Rayman Legends
5. Let's IQ - Campixu app :D (not really a game but I waited more than 5 years for this)

Light Lucario

Staff member
1. Pokemon Black/White: These are still my favorite Pokemon games. I love the storyline, the characters and so many of the fifth generation Pokemon. The Unova region itself felt a bit too small until the B2/W2 expansion, but it was still fun to explore. Some of my favorite characters of the franchise comes from these games as well.

2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: There was a lot of hype for this game ever since it was first revealed and the game delivers quite nicely. There are so many characters and they continue to create more hype for the game by adding in new DLC with characters and stages. There's a lot to do even as a single player like myself with the World of Light story mode, the accomplishment list and playing online against other people. I haven't played it for awhile, but put in a ton of hours on it and I still haven't gotten any of the DLC yet to expand on it further.

3. Pokemon Sword/Shield: It might be a bit too early to put these games on this list when they've only been out for a month, but I just finished the main storyline in Sword and I absolutely loved it. I'll save more detailed thoughts for the proper talkback thread, as I'm still not sure if I'll save that review for the end of the year or as a way to kickoff the new year, but I enjoyed so much about these games. I love the characters, so many of the new Pokemon, the Gym Challenge and the new features. I have my fair share of problems with these games too, but it is a pretty small list compared to all of the pros in my book. These are just so immersive and fun games full of great characters and Pokemon. When I finished the post storyline, I just felt so happy and I immediately wanted to play the game again, which I don't normally feel after finishing a video game. I'll still have to think about where they'd rank among Pokemon games for me, but they're most likely going to be pretty high on that list too. These are some of the most entertaining Pokemon games I've played and that's exactly what I was hoping for when they were announced.

4. Pokemon Sun/Moon: These are some really fun Pokemon games. I loved the Alola region, so many of the characters and plenty of the new Pokemon became instant new favorites. There were some cool features and these games also introduced the concept of Regional Variants. It was also nice to have something different from Gyms since it helped the Alola journey feel more unique and refreshing. Team Skull is also the best.

5. Super Mario Odyssey
: This was one of my first Switch games and it was a lot of fun. The worlds are so bright, colorful and vast. I think that they put too many moons in there, especially when some are nearly impossible to get without a ton of time put into the game, but the exploration was still fun, the combat was interesting and the customization was really cool.

6. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: While HeartGold and SoulSilver are still my favorite remakes in the franchise, these are really solid too. The 3DS graphics really helped to give new life to the Hoenn region. Rivals like Brendan/May and to a lesser degree Wally get more fleshed out personalities due to the updated graphics. Most of the then new Mega Evolutions were cool and the changes made to the storyline helped to make it more fun and interesting than I think the original Ruby/Sapphire were.

7. Paper Mario Sticker Star: This might be controversial considering this seems to be the most hated out of the Paper Mario games, but it's the only one that I've played so far and I thought it was really fun. The combat was easy to learn and really fun to use. The Paper Mario world is just charming and I don't think it took me too long to beat the game. It was a really fun and enjoyable 3DS game.

8. Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World: This was probably one of my favorite Yoshi games thus far. The yarn design scheme is just so cute and it made going through the various worlds more fun too. Getting to customize my different Yoshi with yarn was quite adorable too.

9. Sonic Colors
: I was tempted to put Sonic Generations here instead, but I remember having more fun with Colors. I've only played a few Sonic handheld games, but the mechanics in Colors were pretty neat and fun. The stages were also pretty cool. It was just an all around fun game.

10. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
: I'm probably one of the few people that didn't mind Kingdom Hearts games being on Nintendo systems. That's really the only way I can play them since I don't have any Playstation systems. Plus, I just play Kingdom Hearts for the cool Disney worlds and fun combat. Dream Drop Distance does deliver in those departments. My context to the storyline and characters is more limited due to not playing every game, but the repetitive battles were fun and I liked some of the worlds chosen.

I'll also give an honorable mention for Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I was tempted to put it on the list. It does offer more features than Sun/Moon, improves upon Hau and Guzma's storylines and Team Rainbow Rocket is really coo, but I still feels like Sun/Moon's storyline was overall stronger and most of the changes they made to it, such as Lillie's storyline, felt weaker. I'll also mention Kingdom Hearts Re:coded. I think Dream Drop Distance stands out more, but I remember having a a lot of fun with Re:coded as well.

Pokemon Go has been a lot of fun. While it's frustrating to pay for incubators and other items when in-game money is so hard to come by, I have enjoyed having something to check while I'm out walking Clancy. Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Links has been really fun too. There are plenty of events to keep me interested and while there is a clear advantage towards those who can buy a lot of cards, it's relatively easy to get gems to buy the cards instead. Plus, it really scratch a Yu-Gi-Oh! card game itch that I didn't know I had at the time when it first came out.

While I unfortunately didn't get to play with it as much as I wanted to before Sword/Shield came out, I'll also mention Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution if only because I never thought we'd get another proper Yu-Gi-Oh! video game, let alone one on the Switch. Being able to play as Yu-Gi-Oh! characters, especially Arc V characters, has been a big dream of mine and being able to play an Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon deck is so wonderful. I do wish that they didn't include the newest rules since that Extra Deck Zone format really doesn't work for the decks from earlier series that are designed to spam out Extra Deck Monsters.

1. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2. Telltale's The Walking Dead
3. Monster Tale
4. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth/Hackers Memory
5. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
6. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus
7. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
8. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
9. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
10. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
1. Pokemon Black/White: These are still my favorite Pokemon games. I love the storyline, the characters and so many of the fifth generation Pokemon. The Unova region itself felt a bit too small until the B2/W2 expansion, but it was still fun to explore. Some of my favorite characters of the franchise comes from these games as well.

2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: There was a lot of hype for this game ever since it was first revealed and the game delivers quite nicely. There are so many characters and they continue to create more hype for the game by adding in new DLC with characters and stages. There's a lot to do even as a single player like myself with the World of Light story mode, the accomplishment list and playing online against other people. I haven't played it for awhile, but put in a ton of hours on it and I still haven't gotten any of the DLC yet to expand on it further.

3. Pokemon Sword/Shield: It might be a bit too early to put these games on this list when they've only been out for a month, but I just finished the main storyline in Sword and I absolutely loved it. I'll save more detailed thoughts for the proper talkback thread, as I'm still not sure if I'll save that review for the end of the year or as a way to kickoff the new year, but I enjoyed so much about these games. I love the characters, so many of the new Pokemon, the Gym Challenge and the new features. I have my fair share of problems with these games too, but it is a pretty small list compared to all of the pros in my book. These are just so immersive and fun games full of great characters and Pokemon. When I finished the post storyline, I just felt so happy and I immediately wanted to play the game again, which I don't normally feel after finishing a video game. I'll still have to think about where they'd rank among Pokemon games for me, but they're most likely going to be pretty high on that list too. These are some of the most entertaining Pokemon games I've played and that's exactly what I was hoping for when they were announced.

4. Pokemon Sun/Moon: These are some really fun Pokemon games. I loved the Alola region, so many of the characters and plenty of the new Pokemon became instant new favorites. There were some cool features and these games also introduced the concept of Regional Variants. It was also nice to have something different from Gyms since it helped the Alola journey feel more unique and refreshing. Team Skull is also the best.

5. Super Mario Odyssey: This was one of my first Switch games and it was a lot of fun. The worlds are so bright, colorful and vast. I think that they put too many moons in there, especially when some are nearly impossible to get without a ton of time put into the game, but the exploration was still fun, the combat was interesting and the customization was really cool.

6. Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: While HeartGold and SoulSilver are still my favorite remakes in the franchise, these are really solid too. The 3DS graphics really helped to give new life to the Hoenn region. Rivals like Brendan/May and to a lesser degree Wally get more fleshed out personalities due to the updated graphics. Most of the then new Mega Evolutions were cool and the changes made to the storyline helped to make it more fun and interesting than I think the original Ruby/Sapphire were.

7. Paper Mario Sticker Star: This might be controversial considering this seems to be the most hated out of the Paper Mario games, but it's the only one that I've played so far and I thought it was really fun. The combat was easy to learn and really fun to use. The Paper Mario world is just charming and I don't think it took me too long to beat the game. It was a really fun and enjoyable 3DS game.

8. Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World: This was probably one of my favorite Yoshi games thus far. The yarn design scheme is just so cute and it made going through the various worlds more fun too. Getting to customize my different Yoshi with yarn was quite adorable too.

9. Sonic Colors: I was tempted to put Sonic Generations here instead, but I remember having more fun with Colors. I've only played a few Sonic handheld games, but the mechanics in Colors were pretty neat and fun. The stages were also pretty cool. It was just an all around fun game.

10. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance: I'm probably one of the few people that didn't mind Kingdom Hearts games being on Nintendo systems. That's really the only way I can play them since I don't have any Playstation systems. Plus, I just play Kingdom Hearts for the cool Disney worlds and fun combat. Dream Drop Distance does deliver in those departments. My context to the storyline and characters is more limited due to not playing every game, but the repetitive battles were fun and I liked some of the worlds chosen.

I'll also give an honorable mention for Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. I was tempted to put it on the list. It does offer more features than Sun/Moon, improves upon Hau and Guzma's storylines and Team Rainbow Rocket is really coo, but I still feels like Sun/Moon's storyline was overall stronger and most of the changes they made to it, such as Lillie's storyline, felt weaker. I'll also mention Kingdom Hearts Re:coded. I think Dream Drop Distance stands out more, but I remember having a a lot of fun with Re:coded as well.

Pokemon Go has been a lot of fun. While it's frustrating to pay for incubators and other items when in-game money is so hard to come by, I have enjoyed having something to check while I'm out walking Clancy. Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Links has been really fun too. There are plenty of events to keep me interested and while there is a clear advantage towards those who can buy a lot of cards, it's relatively easy to get gems to buy the cards instead. Plus, it really scratch a Yu-Gi-Oh! card game itch that I didn't know I had at the time when it first came out.

While I unfortunately didn't get to play with it as much as I wanted to before Sword/Shield came out, I'll also mention Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution if only because I never thought we'd get another proper Yu-Gi-Oh! video game, let alone one on the Switch. Being able to play as Yu-Gi-Oh! characters, especially Arc V characters, has been a big dream of mine and being able to play an Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon deck is so wonderful. I do wish that they didn't include the newest rules since that Extra Deck Zone format really doesn't work for the decks from earlier series that are designed to spam out Extra Deck Monsters.
I love that your list is mostly cute games. I love cute games. They are the only games I play.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Thanks to all that voted! I'm closing down the thread and we'll have the results.....soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts