Toonzone Picks: The Top Animated Shows of the 2010's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowCupcake

Finish your dessert and like it!!!
Yeah I better do this before I run out of time. I'm just going to combine my lists from the other threads.

1. Gravity Falls (Does this really need an explanation?)
2. Steven Universe (It's had a few bumps in the road plot-wise, but overall, its unique premise and lore make it an exciting show to watch)
3. Green Eggs and Ham (The biggest (positive) surprise of the year)
4. Tangled the Series/Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (an underrated show in the world of animation that contains phenomenal storytelling and meaningful character development)
5. Wander Over Yonder (kills me to put this fifth since it's one of my personal favorites, but I believe that Tangled has the better writing)
6. The Amazing World of Gumball (Probably the best slice of life series currently airing on the network right now. I hope people remember it despite having ended in May. Well, possibly...)
7. Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart (A newer release on the list. I absolutely LOVE this show. It's hilarious! I can't wait to see where it goes in the 2020s)
8. Infinity Train (I would put this higher, but it's still kind of hard to judge it since only one season has been released, but that one season was flipping fantastic)
9. Over the Garden Wall (A phenomenal mini-series. Other short-form shows should take inspiration from it)
10. My Little Pony: FiM (Just kidding, I added a new show. While I didn't watch it until the end, this rendition had some solid writing and certainly destroyed the stereotype that My Little Pony could only be for little girls).

StorytellerMJ5

1. Bob's Burgers
2. Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated
3. Steven Universe
4. DuckTales
5. Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure
6. Phineas and Ferb
7. Wander Over Yonder
8. We Bare Bears
9. Dragons Race to the Edge
10. Craig of the Creek

Neo-Dynamo

Banned
  1. Transformers Prime
  2. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
  3. Primal
  4. Green Lantern
  5. Over the Garden Wall
  6. Young Justice
  7. Rick and Morty
  8. Harvey Beaks
  9. Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated
  10. Regular Show

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
Going in.
10. Bob's Burgers ( was a nice fresh of air to Fox's animation line up , which had gotten stale when this show started. Goes more the KOTH route than Simpsons of Family Guy and is fun)
9. OK KO Let's be Heroes (Really really fun Cartoon Network series, love the characters and the plots, had great energy and comedy/action)
8. The Loud House (fun series, I do think it has slightly gotten weaker, but still good, do hope it doesn't go on past it's welcome so, it can be rememebered fondly)
87 Big City Greens (Really has become one of my favorite Disney animated series of the decade, if it hadn't come out, Star would have had this spot probably)
6. Miraculous Lady bug and Cat Noir (I'm not even really a big Superhero show fan, but I do like this series , it's getting dramatic)
5. The Amazing World of Gumball (I never thought I would enjoy this series, but I ended up loving it, so there we go!)
4. Gravity Falls (this show has a great mixture of comedy, mystey, great characters, fun atmosphere and more!)
3. Hilda ( Really found this show charming, love it's atmophere)
2. Over the Garden Wall ( really good mini series, charming fun, and brought a lot)
1. Dan Vs. (This show should be remembered, glad the Hub took chances and let this show exist for they threw in the towel and vacated sanity. Did a great job of having a lovable jerk)

Honorable Mentions

Summer Camp Island (good thing it's on my CN list )
Penn Zero Part Time Hero ( Series was overshadowed by Star by Disney but it was a fun and inventive series wish we had more)
The Casagrandes (uhhh if it had more episodes, yeah hard to fully judge it yet,good start so far
Harvey Beaks (good series, Nick should have given it more)
Star Vs the Forces of Evil ( I enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 the most, but I still love series even if they had some mess ups)

Harvey Street Girls/kids

Infinity Train

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
10. Daily Lives of High School Boys - This is a cheat because I have literally only watched maybe like five episodes. But they were five of the funniest dang episodes I've ever seen. The heavy lampshading and over-the-top antics among the core cast is enormously funnier since it's often rooted by its casual, down-to-earth setting.

9. Rescue Bots - It's the best Transformers Aligned Continuity show and I'll take that with me to the grave!

8. Green Lantern: The Animated Series - ...I like this show better than Young Justice. There, I said it. It's much more breezier to absorb without ever sacrificing plot, characters, and rich worldbuilding. To me, this was the first (and only) interaction with the Green Lantern mytho and I was enticed on what each Lantern Rings represented and the magnitude/impact it had on the greater universe and especially its characters. I'm glad it got a decent finale, even if there were more to tell.

Also oh man, OH MAN, was I rooting hard for Aya and Razor. I love those two so, soooo much.

7. Bojack Horseman - Presents mental illness in a sympathetic light while constantly emphasizing why it's not an excuse to be a jerk. Bojack Horseman balances this element well and handles it with grace.

6. Castlevania - Netflix's Castlevania is excessively and often needlessly violent, the plot slow as molasses, and characters constantly spouting inappropriate languages because that's the cool thing to do for adult animated shows. Really, I would have hated this show if not for three redeeming factors.

First, the character interaction are both compelling and funny as heck. There's some choice dialogues here made brilliant through its Seinfieldian levels of casual conversation. I genuinely didn't care that the narrative took decades to proceed because I loved the cast just talking to each other over stupid nonsense like vampire weaknesses to water and whatever technical loopholes they could bypass or inane arguments between Alucard and Trevor. The small episode count does help with the tedium, but still.

Second reason is its emotional sincerity and ultimate message of hope and fighting the good fight in spite of the cruel, cruel world one lives in.

And last is Dracula himself whom I wish more shows understood enough to do what Castlevania did and give the villain not only a sympathetic, compelling reason on Why They Do The Evil Thing, but genuinely express equally sympathetic emotions and love that are often reserved for heroes. I love that Dracula wasn't reduced to tired pitfalls where he plays up his Bad Guy card so hard that he was incapable of loving anyone and/or lost the ability to love because He Is The Villain. What he does is absolutely abominable, but he loved and he lost, and that's what made him both engaging and especially, dangerous.

5. Over the Garden Wall - I am glad CN is doing more of these miniseries with the likes of Infinity Train. Over the Garden Wall is atmospheric and beautifully haunting. It also understands how aesthetic Autumn is. Because yesss, Autumn aesthetic.

4. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power - Definitely and utterly fills the Action Show, Character Development, and Ongoing Plot kind of toons I've been missing for so long. Absolutely love everything about She-Ra and I'm constantly anticipating the next season.

3. Sym-Bionic Titan - MAN. I'm still sad this show will never get the season two it rightfully deserves. Whenever people ask me what kind of show I want, I point to this. SBT is exactly what I want western animation to do more of. And I don't mean the epic narrative or the character focuses - plenty of Action Shows have done that in the last decade - but the TONE. SBT feels like Genndy Tartakovsky took the Show, Don't Tell mentality of his previous show, Samurai Jack, and applied it liberally throughout SBT without sacrificing the ongoing narrative. It tells what it needs to say as much through visuals, music, and silent interaction as it does words. I wish more shows would rely on the audience understanding a character's mood through pantomime and emotions.

2. Bob's Burgers - There was a King of the Hill-shaped hole in my heart since it ended over a decade ago that few primetime FOX animated shows came close to filling. Many entries were aired, none captured the down-to-earth sincerity that KOTH sparked. Until Bob's Burgers. Finally, a show that didn't rely on crass humor, dated pop cultural references, and out there gimmicks. It was, at core, typical family sitcoms, but one embedded in sensible humor that rarely punched down, and a family who genuinely and utterly love each other. It's a big spit against other adult animated shows that feel the need to define themselves with preteen humor and rampant cynicism. The Belchers live in a strange, often frustrating world, but it never feels cruel. Even the resident prankster Louise is lovable because she is just as much altruistic and caring as she is spunky and disobedient (which is very fine with me - I never did like prankster characters.)

Also Tina Belcher is ridiculously relatable and a lot of her confusing feelings and growth were experiences I went through as a teenager (albeit not quite as exaggerated, of course.) But mostly they nail anxiety disorder so accurately. "Tinarannosaurus Wrecks" cemented her as my favorite character because the amount of nervousness and guilt that was eating her up is pretty much how my brain works every time I get into a complicated situation.

1. Steven Universe - If you ask me, this was an incredibly good evolution between the Character Focused, Plot-Driven Action Shows that dominated the early 2000s ala Avatar: The Last Airbender and the bite-sized, casual chunks that gradually sprinkled ongoing arcs ala Adventure Time. Steven Universe does take time to really get to the good part and many of the filler episodes, though intended to build the world Steven lives in and serve as good breathers, ruin the pacing by a country mile, the show is often constantly amazing and incredible with its foreshadowing, ominous wordplay, and unexpected plot twists. A show like Adventure Time feels like it made up many of its growing arcs over time (not a bad thing, mind you, but by the last three or so seasons, it was tiredly stretching its lore like taffy), but Steven Universe clearly had a planned story from start to finish.

Importantly, its message of love and tolerance, of acceptance, and being kind to others and yourself (among MANY others) is a major upgrade from what it used to be in the 90s. It's caked in nuances and layers and maturely handles subjects ranging from mental illness, proper consent, identity crisis, etc. that proves how much cartoons have gotten so much better over the years. Great show. Absolutely adore every part of it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I've already talked about all of these shows before, so I'll just try to keep this as brief as I can.

1. Steven Universe: This is really a terrific series that provides so much character development, world building and important messages on love, compassion, communication and identity. It's a wonderful series that just be one of my favorite animated series ever at this point.

2. Gravity Falls: This is such a good fun series with great humor, characters and some heartfelt moments.

3. Tangled: The Series: I still think that this series is so underrated, but I'm glad to see it getting more attention here as well. It is the best TV continuation of a movie that I've seen and I'm so excited for the rest of season three.

4. Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated: This is such a really good show that makes Scooby Do and the gang far more interesting than I would have expected it to. The romance drama can get a bit too much, but it was still pretty engaging from start to finish.

5. Green Lantern: The Animated Series: I also think that this series is much better than Young Justice. It has a much better focus on its cast and plots while still making the setting vast through space travels. It's really good and deserves more attention

6. The Lion Guard: This is everything a younger me would have wanted from a Lion King series practically. Most of the characters are likable, they showcase more of the Pride Lands, the educational aspect of learning about other animals feels pretty natural and it's just all around good fun. It feels a bit uneven at times and I still feel like season three could have used a few more episodes to buildup to the ending, but the finale was still all around satisfying and it's still a really good series.

7. Over the Garden Wall: This is such a great mini-series. The scenery is so great. It's both creepy and beautiful. It really works well for Halloween. The characters are great and they're able to cover the storyline quite nicely within the few episodes they have too.

8. We Bare Bears: It's a really nice and relaxing slice of life kind of series. The characters are likable, the humor is pretty good and I kind of like how it makes use of modern technology. It's a really fun charming kind of series.

9. DuckTales: This is a really fun episodic adventure series. The characters are fun, the humor is pretty good and there are some good emotional moments to give it more substance as well. I really wish that Donald was more involved that he tends to be though. It still feels a bit too overhyped for my tastes, but it's still really good.

10. Phineas and Ferb
: The series is formulaic as can be, but it embraces that formula and I think that works to the show's advantage more often than not. It's just really fun with good characters and solid humor.

I'll also give an honorable mention to Voltron: Legendary Defender. The first few seasons were pretty fun at least. I also really like Craig of the Creek. It's such a nice, relaxing and fun slice of life series.

Terror of Death

1. G.I. Joe: Renegades - The definitive gi joe cartoon. Takes from several different series but modernizes them and offers uniques spins. Doesn't talk down to children with mature themes, violence having consequence, and constant mentioning of previous plot points.

2. Kaijudo: Rise of the Duels Masters/Clash of the Duel Masters - An american remake of the Japanese series in name only. Perfectly fuses the best aspects of western action cartoons with the best aspects of monster battling anime.

3. Max Steel - What it lacked in story and depth it more than made up for in fantastic action scenes, background music, and character designs.

4. Slugterra - One of if not the best looking cg shows. Due to expert cell shading characters are 3d modeled but move and emote like 2d ones.

5. Legend of Korra - Not as great as its predecessor but still enjoyable. The characters other than the main trio were pretty likeable and the fights had top notch choreography.

6. Gravity Falls - One of the very few disney originals that I enjoy. Lots of laugh out loud moments and it didn't outsay its welcome.

7. Huntik: Secrets & Seekers - Premiered in 2009 but second half was released from 2013-2015. Started out rough but got more entertaining as it went along. While not as completely as Kaijudo it blends different aspects of western cartoons and anime well.

8. Young Justice - Not my favorite of the DC cartoons but it's definitely in the mid-tier. Has some interesting characters and the artytle looks better than most cartoons of the decade.

9. Marvel's Spiderman - Nowhere near as good as spectacular but definitely better than ultimate. I like how much Peter is portrayed as a science geek compared to his other incarnations in comics, tv and and film.

10. Primal - Only a few episodes have aired but I like it more than most of the creators other work. Masterfull direction.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks to all that voted! I'm closing down the thread and we'll have the results.....soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since I'm in New Hampshire, there's snow outside today.
kecskezombi01 wrote on KristofLaci991130's profile.
Hello, here. Are you living in a Hungarian city?
Is it me or is marketing for modern cartoons going through some kind of dark age right now?
This is darkly hilarious.

Featured Posts