Toonzone Picks: The Top Animated Movie of the 2010's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Here we are, just a short while away from closing out the decade. It brings upon us a time of reflection, contemplation and VOTING THREADS!!!

Up for debate in this thread:

What are your Top Animated Films of the 2010's?!?

Here's the set-up: Everyone will post their Top 10 (or at least your Top 5) picks in the category. Rank them in order, with your number one pick being which you feel is the absolute best, and going downward until you reach 10. The points go in reverse. Your #1 pick gets 10 points, #2 gets 9, etc. The total number of points determines it's placement in the final list.

We encourage everyone to explain their picks, but don't feel like you have to.

Voting will run from November 25th to December 16th! You can alter or edit any of your picks up until 11:59pm on December 16th, at which point all votes are final, the thread closed, and the final list determined.

Everyone get your votes in, and most importantly, have fun!

Last edited:

ToonJay723

Staff member
1. Zootopia
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
4. Your Name
5. Kung Fu Panda 2
6. Inside Out
7. Coco
8. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
9. Incredibles 2
10. Moana

Last edited:

Nobodyman

1. Wolf Children - A beautifully animated and emotionally gripping film from Mamoru Hosoda. For those who don't know, he was the guy who directed Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and then...kinda dropped off a lot of peoples' radars after that. Which is a shame, because he's still making movies and, as far as I'm concerned, this is the best film he's made thus far. It's a beautiful story about a mother and her two children and, even though I'm not a parent, it still resonated with me. So I can only imagine how it would make actual parents feel.

2. Tangled - Needless to say, I'm definitely in Tangled camp of the Tangled vs. Frozen debate (not that I think there really needs to be a feud between the two). It has some issues to be sure, but I think this is a very well-written and creative take on the Rapunzel story (now if only they could have just given it the name "Rapunzel"). And it has one of the best Disney songs I've heard in years ("I See the Light").

3. Wreck-It Ralph - I'm a huge fan of video games and this movie was just a perfect love letter to the medium. I remember seeing this movie in theaters with my brother (who is also big into video games) I think it was some of the most fun we've ever had at a movie theater.

4. Rango - So how many of you forgot this movie was even a thing? A shame, since this really is a great movie with some excellent. Granted, some of the jokes fall flat, but the rest of the movie is so good that they can easily be forgiven. If it's been a while since you've seen this movie or haven't seen it at all, give it a watch. I think you'll be surprised.

5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - I wasn't completely floored by this movie as I thought the story was kind of cliched at times and it could have done a better job balancing its characters, but this is still an "amazing" movie. I know it seems like everyone says "This is the best Spider-Man movie!" every time a new Spider-Man movie comes out, but...yeah, this just may be the best Spider-Man movie so far. And I'm so glad we're getting a sequel.

6. Toy Story 3 - The rare third film in a series that's just as good if not better than the films that came before it. Personally, I don't like it quite as much as Toy Story 2, but I think this is still an exceptional film and a near-perfect end to the Toy Story series (or at least it would have been).

7. Isle of Dogs - So I'm not, like, super crazy Wes Anderson or anything. I like his movies fine (the ones I have seen anyway), but he's not exactly my brand of weird. Still, I really really liked this movie. I'm not even really a dog-lover either, though I do love Japan. A very original story with a very unique style and some wonderful performances from the cast (Brian Cranston can do no wrong).

8. The Lego Movie - The surprise critical hit that no one expected to be any good and, yeah, I too really enjoyed it. I remember having a lot of fun watching this at the theater and laughing my butt off at all the jokes. And even manages to squeeze in a really important and sentimental message, even if it does get a little hokey towards the end.

9. Zootopia - Probably the most important film Disney has put out in the last decade. A smartly-written and well-acted buddy cop story with some amazingly creative visuals. Still, I can't quite pin it down, but something about this movie just feels...off to me. Maybe the plotting could have been better or maybe the movie was too wrapped up in its own message, or...something. But it's still an important film that everyone should watch.

10. Your Name - The animated megahit that broke at the Japanese box office and won over a good deal of fans in the States too. I don't think it wowed me as much as it did a lot of other people, but this is still a delightful love story, which managed to surprise me as, honestly, I had no idea where the whole thing was going. And it did make me want to check out more of Makoto Shinkai's work.

As a bonus, some honorable mentions...

Inside Out - Probably everyone's favorite (non-sequel) Pixar film of the last decade and, yeah, I think I would agree, though it's a bit telling of my opinion of Pixar of late when their best original story only gets relegated to an honorable mention. I mean, this is a very creative movie that sends a very important message, but I feel like it got kind of muddled in its attempt to make a "realistic" portrayal of one's inner emotions. I dunno, maybe I was expecting too much.

Moana - Another great Disney movie with some great songs, though I think the script could've been stronger. Moana and Maui are fine as leads, but I'm not sure they were strong enough to carry what is essentially a buddy road comedy on their own, with only three silent supporting characters accompanying them.

Song of the Sea/The Breadwinner - At the time I watched The Breadwinner, I felt like it was the best Cartoon Saloon movie yet. But, looking back, I think it's Song of the Sea I remember. Well, they're both great movies at any rate. Very different types of stories, but both are well worth watching. So I guess I'll just list them both here.

Paranorman - Laika is one of the best animation studios to come out in the last decade and I'd say this one is probably my favorite of their films (granted, I still haven't seen Missing Link). Kubo was good, but the story felt kind of conventional, and the "twist" was pretty obvious. Paranorman, is a very creative, well-crafted, and comedic take on the horror genre, with a surprisingly dark and deep ending that will pull at your heartstrings.

Hotel Transylvania - A lot of people dismissed this as another dumb Adam Sandler movie (only this time it's animated!) and...yeah, I'm not gonna pretend that the writing is the best, but this is still a really solid kids film. As a lifelong fan of Genndy Tartakovksy (whose contribution most people sadly seem to ignore), I pretty much had to check this movie out. Yeah, some of the jokes are pretty juvenile, but the rest of the movie (the animation especially) is enjoyable enough that I'd say it's worth at least one watch.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
1. The Lego Movie (my all-time favorite movie. Funny, clever, charming and completely unexpected. Can't say the same about the sequel, unfortunately...)
2. Tangled (one of the wittiest Disney Princess movies out there. Also inspired the amazing Disney Channel series which expands on the story even more)
3. Coco (among Pixar's best, honestly. There are too many good things about it to list)
4. How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy (all three of the movies were excellent, imo. The third was definitely the weakest, but still not bad)
5. Kung Fu Panda 2 (an example of how a sequel should be done)
6. Despicable Me 1 and 2 (another animated franchise that produced an excellent first installment and sequel. The third Despicable Me does NOT belong on this list, however. Nor does the *facepalms* Minions movie...)
7. Wreck-It Ralph (a very unique concept that was a risk worth taking for Disney)
8. Frozen (say what you will about it, Frozen is still a solid film despite how many times you've heard "Let It Go" by now)
9. Song of the Sea (I almost forgot about this movie until I saw someone mention it up thread. Truly a unique watching experience with sweet characters and breathtaking animation)
10. Into the Spiderverse (I'm not a superhero person at all, but I absolutely love this movie. I guess that goes to show how good it is)

Honorable Mentions:
-Zootopia
-Toy Story 3
-Monsters University
-Inside Out
-Brave
-Big Hero 6
-Hotel Transylvania 1
-Kubo and the Two Strings

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I haven't seen that many movies this decade, but I'll give it a try.

1. Arrietty the Borrower
2. Song of the Sea
3. Inside Out
4. Ernest and Celestine
5. Shaun the Sheep: The Film
6. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
7. Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie
8. The Breadwinner
9. Day of the Crows (odd movie, but I liked it)
10. Big Hero 6

I still haven't seen Hotel Transylvania, but they never air the Dutch or Flemish version on TV here and I read online that the American voice-actors "ruined" the movie. I should rent it from my library sometime.

Hmmm, so the movie 9 is from 2009, that's too bad.

Last edited:

StorytellerMJ5

1. Tangled
2. Kung Fu Panda 2
3. Paranorman
4. Inside Out
5. Coco
6. How to Train Your Dragon
7. How to Train Your Dragon 2
8. Wreck-it-Ralph
9. Spider-Man Into the Spider Verse
10. Flavors of Youth

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Only one entry per franchise for me:
  1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  2. Coco
  3. Zootopia
  4. Toy Story 3
  5. How to Train Your Dragon 2
  6. Your Story
  7. Rango
  8. Wreck-It Ralph
  9. Isle of Dogs
  10. Promare

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
No specific order & I don't have 10:

Spider-Man: into the Spiderverse
Kubo & the two strings
The Lego Movie
Toy Story 3
Zootopia
Tangled

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

That's fine, though if you don't rank them, I will only assign 1 point a piece (and maybe that will help in the final vote tally, maybe not).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Ugh, too many good ones.

1. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (Do I even need to say why?)

2. Isle of Dogs (Love the voice acting and overall aesthetic)

3. Zootopis (Endlessly re-watchable)

4. Inside Out (Always gives me the feels)

5. Kubo and the Two Strings (Still sad it bombed, we need more animated films like this in America)

6. Your Name (One of the better romantic animated films of late)

7. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (The animation is INSANE)

8. Incredibles 2 (Almost as good as the first one)

9. Wreck-It Ralph (I almost didn't see it in theaters, but I'm glad I did)

10. The LEGO Movie (A really pleasant surprise)

Last edited:

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
  1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  2. Zootopia
  3. The LEGO Movie
  4. Toy Story 3
  5. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
  6. Inside Out
  7. Wolf Children
  8. Song of the Sea
  9. How to Train Your Dragon 2
  10. Your Name
Honorable Mentions:
  • Wreck-It-Ralph
  • Incredibles 2
  • Tangled
  • Frozen
  • Weathering with You
  • Mirai
  • Isle of Dogs
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • Coco
  • Big Hero 6
  • Kung Fu Panda 2
  • Rango
I probably would've listed Promare had it been freaking released here. So frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Ugh, too many good ones.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (Do I even need to say why?)

Isle of Dogs (Love the voice acting and overall aesthetic)

Zootopis (Endlessly re-watchable)

Inside Out (Always gives me the feels)

Kubo and the Two Strings (Still sad it bombed, we need more animated films like this in America)

Your Name (One of the better romantic animated films of late)

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (The animation is INSANE)

Incredibles 2 (Almost as good as the first one)

Wreck-It Ralph (I almost didn't see it in theaters, but I'm glad I did)

The LEGO Movie (A really pleasant surprise)

I notice 10 votes...is Spider-Man #1 and Lego Movie #10?

(this is my way of saying - it would really help if you guys would rank them).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I notice 10 votes...is Spider-Man #1 and Lego Movie #10?

(this is my way of saying - it would really help if you guys would rank them).

I'm so sorry, I forgot to add the numbers! But yeah, Spidey is number 1.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
1. Inside Out
2. Zootopia
3. The Lego Movie
4. Into the Spider-Verse
5. Kung Fu Panda 2
6. Coco
7. Klaus
8. Toy Story 3
9. Wreck-It Ralph
10. Ernest and Celestine

(Descriptions to come)

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
I feel like half my list is less "I looooove this movie" as much as them doing certain things that either surprised me or I just liked. At the least, these are the movies I think about often, even oppose to other animated films I technically love more.

10. Wolf Children - I didn't really like this movie the first time around. I mean, it was okay. I think it's still kind of okay, but every time I feel an urge to watch Wolf Children, I end up liking it more and more. I don't know, I guess it grew on me, but I can't really say why.

9. The Little Prince - I feel like The Little Prince has a central theme that remains juuuust open enough for people to interpret it in their own ways, so I'm not sure what to make of the movie essentially being a conclusive "sequel" to the book's message. I mean, fair, I interpreted it the same way as the movie did and I'm sure a lot of people do, but there was always a sense of raw mystery and surrealism to The Little Prince that the movie kind of forsakes to make it more concrete. Still, I like the framing device of using the pilot as an old narrator/mentor to a stifled girl who deserves and sees so much of the world that adults cannot. And it solidly carries throughout the movie.

Shame we rarely see those awesome claymation sequences more in the film.

8. Moana - The best Disney Princess movie this decade. Tangled, while a decent upgrade of traditional Disney Princess stories, felt like it was gliding on rail: predictable and expected that doesn't quite hit as much strides as I was hoping. Frozen was kind of a mess, and the Princess and the Frog came out in the last decade, so I unfortunately can't pick that, so Moana. I love the titular character's determination and growth, the songs are fantastic, and the visuals are lovely. The dang chicken is annoying as heck and I kind of wished it had a central villain as oppose to a series of disconnected misadventures, but overall, great film.

7. The Adventures of Tintin - Absolutely good, grand Adventure Ho! kind of movie. It appropriately feels like a pulp fiction adventure story (I mean, it's TinTin) and I'm always down for those.

6. The Tale of Princess Kaguya - I kiiiiinda go back and forth on the length of this film. Some days I feel it drags on way longer than it needs to, other times I feel it's perfect the way it. I often lose patience watching this movie, yet I still love every moment of it. The art style probably helps because wow, what a lovely, beautiful movie. And its recontexualization of the original myth to a girl's struggle of being seen as surface level beauty from shallow people is poignantly delivered. The same goes for Kaguya's father whose misguided attempts to praise his daughter is equally as layered.

5. Zootopia - Looking back on it, I'm not quite sure Zootopia's surface level handling of prejudice works as well as I originally thought. The whole predators originally being the dominant species who have since learned to curb their animal instincts thing feels widely misguided if we're comparing to real life prejudice, buuuut within context of the show's universe, I think it wings it well. I'll have to watch this film again to see if I feel differently now, but it's still a very well made, very layered and nuanced film that smartly depicts both sides as neither right or wrong. I think this also extends to how the movie ends: Judy doesn't solve everything, but she's going to work hard to ensure hope in Zootopia's future. It's a different take from Disney's standard Happily Ever After without sacrificing it.

4. Kung Fu Panda 2 - It's mind-blowing how good this film is. The first Kung Fu Panda was solid, but the sequel continues to deliver large, intense stakes while never shying away from its personal themes and character focus. My biggest problem with the How to Train Your Dragon sequels was that its Too-Big-Too-Epic approach meant a sacrifice of internal character development and quieter moments. Kung Fu Panda however, handles high stakes and character conflict just right.

Also it's one of the prettiest dang movies I've ever seen this decade. Like WOW, the colors are gorgeous.

3. Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus - By the time Invader Zim aired, I was mildly into my Jhonen Vasquez phase, but lacked cable TV to watch the show during its original air times, and by the time I did watch it years later, I had long since left that phase and came out of the show only meagerly impressed. It did great with what it did, but IZ just wasn't My Thing. But there was still enough nostalgia that I checked the Netflix movie which worked out for the great because holy heck, what a pleasant movie.

What grabbed me was how relentlessly optimistic it was in the face of the original show's unrelenting cynicism. The original series feels like Jhonen in his 20s, still in a state of Dark Edginess; Enter the Florpus meanwhile feels like it's produced by a now older, mature Jhonen. He still retains his deranged sense of humor - peppered with perfect timing everywhere throughout the movie - but with a healthy coating of good will and sentimentality. I was surprised how many heartfelt moments Florpus had. The Membrane family - broken and uncaring in the original show - are much more closely-knitted and genuinely care for one another. And I will take sincere acts of kindness and camaraderie over spiteful, nasty ignorant characters any day.

I'll probably never see the cartoon again, but I can see myself coming back to the movie over and over.

Also Professor Membrance's "NOT SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE" line is legitimately one of the funniest dang things I've ever seen.

2. How To Train Your Dragon - This movie came out around the time where I still hesitated on the quality of Dreamworks Animated films. The previous Kung Fu Panda was good, but then THIS bomb dropped and it blew me away. It's so, so, sooooo good; well-paced, epic, and importantly, concise. It only has the illusion of being an epic Vikings vs. Dragons, but at its core, it is always, always about the bond between Hiccup and Toothless. The humbleness of the plot makes it the best HTTYD feel, one I feel the sequels have lost along the way the bigger in scope it got.

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse - Really, I'm impressed they were able to juggle six Spider people without feeling stuffed AND do it while focusing extensively into Miles Morales' personal journey. I mean, fine, Spider-Noir, Peni, and Spider-Ham clearly got the butt end of the spotlight compared to Miles, Peter, and Gwen, emphasizing more of their gimmicks than character, but they still get a decent amount of scenes to shine.

I also don't have to talk about the visuals because everyone else did. I'll just say this, back when Tangled was in development, I think there were plans to make the entire movie look like a painting instead of Standard 3D Animated Film, but they opt out of it due to technological limitation. I remember being excited for this new visual take, but instead all we got was... Standard 3D Animated Film. I am soooooooo glad technology has now advanced enough to the point where we can get a movie that looks this stylish instead of Standard 3D Animated Film. More of this, please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts