Toonzone "Battle of the Brackets" Bonus Round thread (2020 edition)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Okay, I could toss out more, but....that's enough. Just bringing up some old memories, to see if any of you enjoyed (or despised) these old "gems".

Except for "Guardians of the Galaxy". That's not an "old gem" like the others listed above. Can I just say - I couldn't find an intro (or opening song) for the "Guardians of the Galaxy" cartoon on Youtube?!? Does that show not have an intro segment or theme song or something? What's up with that?!? If I could've found a proper intro, I might've tossed it into the competitive part of the "Bonus Matches" earlier....(that, but I also kept it out because I kinda liked "Big Hero 6" better).

ToonJay723

Staff member
Hercules: The Animated Series. At first I dismissed it because it reminded me of Emporor's New School. A show set in school with a Disney movie character shoehorned in for brand recognition that ignored the movie. But watching it on Disney+ I find the show is actually smart and clever and I guess the writers didn't want to be limited in storytelling possibilities by what the movie set. Although Hades knowing Hercules is alive is a lot more forgiving than whatever Emporor's New School set up was.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
The only one of these with any strong effort put into them was Disney's Hercules, on the surface that is...

Other than that, no thanks.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I recently ditched Hercules: The Animated Series from my watchlist. Like Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, it is entertaining for a while, but after 15 episodes, you get tired of it. I was even looking at my watch. "ONLY five minutes have passed??" That's when you know you should stop watching :D

Guardians of the Galaxy is easily the best Marvel cartoon from Disney after Avengers: EMH and Big Hero 6. In other words, it is not as bad as Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spiderman, Hulk and the Agents of SMASH etc.

I have only seen the first season, though. Season 2 was exclusive to Disney XD (pay tv) and season 3 never aired here at all!

I have heard that season two is absolutely terrible... but yeah, I don't know. I do plan to check it out eventually.

Guardians of the Galaxy gets my vote.
Except for "Guardians of the Galaxy". That's not an "old gem" like the others listed above. Can I just say - I couldn't find an intro (or opening song) for the "Guardians of the Galaxy" cartoon on Youtube?!? Does that show not have an intro segment or theme song or something? What's up with that?!?
The intro lasts only a few seconds.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
For me, it's kind of a tie between Hercules and Guardians of the Galaxy. each one had some good stuff in it, and were pretty consistent overall. For the former I watched a few episodes a couple weeks ago, and still enjoyed them. The latter is one of the better Marvel cartoons in recent years. I'm not sure which one I would pick as the winner though.

Bonkers was also fun, though I haven't watched much from the show, always meant to check out more episodes from it but never got around to doing so. Johnny Test had its moments but overall it was more annoying than amusing as it kept airing. (And new episodes are still in the works, apparently!) I haven't watched Detention in years though I remember kind of liking it before, and I don't think I ever watched a full episode of Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island. So as I said, I'm mostly torn between the first 2 shows I mentioned, maybe leaning mostly towards Guardians since the Marvel shows haven't had the best of luck in this year's tournament.

Except for "Guardians of the Galaxy". That's not an "old gem" like the others listed above. Can I just say - I couldn't find an intro (or opening song) for the "Guardians of the Galaxy" cartoon on Youtube?!? Does that show not have an intro segment or theme song or something? What's up with that?!? If I could've found a proper intro, I might've tossed it into the competitive part of the "Bonus Matches" earlier....(that, but I also kept it out because I kinda liked "Big Hero 6" better).
They kind of stopped doing intros for the Marvel toons ever since Ultimate Spider-Man. It's just a few seconds of showing the logo and a short jingle. The current Spider-Man show has some animation added, however brief (the character lands on top of the logo, looks around then swings away). Big Hero 6 is the only one with a proper intro but I suppose that's mostly because it's more of a Disney production than Marvel.

Also, the animation test posted isn't really representative of how the show actually ended up looking. Check out for example this "Star-Lord Origins" clip.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
So no real intro, huh? Yeah, another reason to not let it into the main tournament. ;) Though I have heard it's a pretty good cartoon, at times....

Since everyone's tossing out their "playlists"....

As I said in one of the other threads, I'll get around to watching "Gravity Falls" and "Ducktales 2017" eventually. Right now, I'm working on finishing "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" (and not just the last season that just came out - I actually stopped watching some seasons prior, so I'm going through it all again). I've also been watching some "Darkwing Duck" and honestly would like to revisit Gargoyles all over again, even though I've largely got that series memorized, it had such an impact on me back in the 90's. And then maybe "X-Men The Animated Series" from the 90's, which is also on Disney Plus.

But yeah....Gravity Falls and Ducktales 2017. Someday. ;)

Light Lucario

Staff member
I guess I'll vote for Guardians of the Galaxy. While I don't think it stood out to me that much, the fights were pretty good and most of the episodes I saw were pretty engaging. I might have seen more of Ultimate Spider Man and Avengers Assemble by comparison, but I'm not that familiar with the recent batch of Marvel animated series, so it would be hard to judge it on that regard.

Johnny Test was mostly boring to me. All of the complaints about it getting so much airtime are more memorable than the show itself. I never saw Bonkers, so I can't really comment much on it. I only saw one episode of Hercules the series. It was the crossover episode with Aladdin, which was fun and interesting. If I had seen more of the series, then that might have made the decision more difficult. I'm not sure if I saw a full episode of Detention either. I think I remember characters being used for promos and bumpers, but I don't recall watching the series.

Out of the shows listed in this tournament, I do want to rewatch Gargoyles, but I also want to rewatch Avatar whenever I do get Netflix, so I don't know when I'll get around to doing that either.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I thank wonderfly for doing the bonus rounds for me. I wasn't sure if I would've had time to come up with those among my other responsibilities, and he always does a good job of making fun matches.

However, I do have one last idea for a bonus match.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
That's right, one final Disney vs Warner match, the big one.

I thought about making it Disney vs Warner's classic cartoons and characters, but instead let's focus on their first major (and arguably most important) contributions to television. Consider your memories of watching Disney on Sundays, or Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings. Or maybe just go for Disney vs Warner after all!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts