ToonZone Awards 2010 - Voting Thread

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankments

The Sparkle Rises!
Dec 6, 2009
Indiana
After tallying up the votes submitted in the nomination thread, here are the final nominees for this year's ToonZone Animation Awards. By the way, this year, there were enough nominations to divide Best Song into two categories.

To vote: Send me (Blankments) a PM with ONE pick per category. You can only send in your votes once and you can't change them later on. Feel free to post your choices here or discuss the nominees, but anything posted here will not count as an official vote.

DEADLINE: January 20, 2010, 11:59 PM CST (Thursday)

I'll no longer keep you waiting. Here are the nominations.

Best TV Series
- Adventure Time
- Family Guy
- Futurama
- Regular Show
- Phineas and Ferb
- Sym-Bionic Titan

Best Theatrical Movie
- Despicable Me
- How to Train Your Dragon
- MegaMind
- Tangled
- Toy Story 3

Best Foreign Series
- 6Teen
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
- Stoked
- Total Drama World Tour

Best Movie Made for TV or Direct to Video
- Batman: Under the Red Hood
- Firebreather
- Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
- Planet Hulk
- Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue

Best Voice Actor on a TV Series
- John DiMaggio as Jake in "Adventure Time"
- John DiMaggio as Bender in "Futurama"
- Carter Hayden as Noah in "Total Drama World Tour"
- Sam Marin as Pops in "Regular Show"
- Brian Posehn as Octus in "Sym-Bionic Titan"
- J.G. Quintel as Mordecai in "Regular Show"
- Jeremy Shada as Finn in "Adventure Time"

Best Voice Actress on a TV Series
- Grey DeLisle as Dr. Holiday in "Generator Rex"
- Grey DeLisle as Daphne Blake in "Scooby-Doo!: Mystery, Incorporated"
- Annick Obonsawin as Sierra in "Total Drama World Tour"
- Olivia Olson as Marceline the Vampire Queen in "Adventure Time"
- Katey Sagal as Turanga Leela in "Futurama"
- Tara Strong as Ilana in "Sym-Bionic Titan"
- Lauren Tom as Amy Wong in "Futurama"
- Hynden Walch as Princess Bubblegum in "Adventure Time"

Best Voice Actor on a Movie
- Jay Baruchel as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III in "How to Train Your Dragon"
- Steve Carell as Gru in "Despicable Me"
- Will Ferrell as MegaMind in "MegaMind"
- Tom Hanks as Woody Pride in "Toy Story 3"
- Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider in "Tangled"

Best Voice Actress on a Movie
- Joan Cusack as Jessie in "Toy Story 3"
- American Ferrera as Astrid Hofferson in "How to Train Your Dragon"
- Tina Fey as Roxanne Richi in "MegaMind"
- Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in "Tangled"
- Donna Murphy as Mother Gothel in "Tangled"

Best Director on a TV Series
- Greg Colton for "Family Guy"
- Bret Haaland for "The Penguins of Madagascar"
- Scott Jeralds for "The Secret Saturdays"
- Mike Roth for "Regular Show"
- Stephen Sandoval for "Futurama"
- Genndy Tartakovsky for "Sym-Bionic Titan"

Best Director on a Movie
- Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders for "How to Train Your Dragon"
- Nathan Greno and Bryon Howard for "Tangled"
- Mamoru Hosoda for "Summer Wars"
- Tom McGrath for "MegaMind"
- Lee Unkrich for "Toy Story 3"

Best Art Direction on a TV Series
- Adventure Time
- MAD
- Regular Show
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- T.U.F.F. Puppy

Best Art Direction on a Movie
- Despicable Me
- MegaMind
- Summer Wars
- Tangled
- Toy Story 3

Best Animation on a TV Series
- Adventure Time
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
- The Boondocks
- Generator Rex
- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack
- Sym-Bionic Titan

Best Animation on a Movie
- Despicable Me
- The Illusionist
- MegaMind
- Shrek Forever After
- Tangled
- Toy Story 3

Best Writing on a TV Series
- Adventure Time
- Family Guy
- The Penguins of Madagascar
- Phineas and Ferb
- Regular Show

Best Writing on a Movie
- Despicable Me
- MegaMind
- Tangled
- Toy Story 3

Best Character Design on a TV Series
- Adventure Time
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
- Generator Rex
- Regular Show
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- T.U.F.F. Puppy

Best Character Design on a Movie
- Despicable Me
- MegaMind
- Tangled
- Toy Story 3

Best Song on a TV Series
- All I Want For Christmas This Year from "Family Guy"
- Christmastime Is Killing Us from "Family Guy"
- House Hunting Song from "Adventure Time"
- Oh My Izzy from "Total Drama World Tour"
- Party Tonight from "Regular Show"
- Summer Belongs to You from "Phineas and Ferb"
- Trap of Love from "Scooby-Doo!: Mystery, Incorporated"

Best Song on a Movie
- Despicable Me from "Despicable Me"
- I See the Light from "Tangled"
- I've Got a Dream from "Tangled"
- Mother Knows Best from "Tangled"
- When Will My Life Begin from "Tangled"

Best Music Score on a TV Series
- Adventure Time
- Phineas and Ferb
- Regular Show
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Total Drama World Tour

Best Music Score on a Movie
- MegaMind
- Shrek Forever After
- Tangled
- Toy Story 3

Best Webtoon
- The Assassination of Yogi Bear by the Coward Boo-Boo
- Homestar Runner
- It's Oppo
- Llamas with Hats 3
- The Mighty B! - Famous Studios-Style Credits

Best Cartoon DVD Release
- The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: Volume 3
- Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition
- Fantasia/Fantasia 2000: Diamond Edition
- The Princess and the Frog
- Toy Story 3

And that's it. Remember, deadline is January 20, and only PMs count.

Choose wisely. Choose well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 24, 2006
Ratings
Southern California
Best TV Series
- Family Guy (This one is an extremely difficult choice. I didn't like Family Guy at all in the past, and certain jokes have made me mad at it. But it still has really clever writing, and I'm entertained the more I watch it. There are a couple of shows that I'd vote over it, but they weren't nominated. (Penguins, TDWT, Mystery Inc, American Dad, etc) and I have reasons for not voting the others. I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't seen Futurama, but I plan to soon. Sym-Bionic Titan has excellent animation but it just isn't my style. Regular Show looks pretty good from what I've seen so far, but it isn't fantastic. Adventure Time started out as stellar but has decreased in quality. Phineas and Ferb was second place for me, but I was slightly more entertained by Family Guy)

Best Theatrical Movie
- Tangled (Though Toy Story 3 will probably win, Tangled was my favorite movie of the year. Not only did it have stellar writing, voice acting, animation, and soundtrack, but it's performance in the box office may have saved Disney fairy tale animation. My expectations when I saw it were already high, but the movie exceeded those high expectations. Tangled was just like a great classic Disney movie, and I loved absolutely everything about it)

Best Foreign Series
- Total Drama World Tour (Total Drama is my favorite cartoon on TV right now. I've been completely addicted to it. And Season 3 was excellent. The idea cast of characters was brought in. And I loved the music, drama, and concept. A mistake for Noah and Izzy to leave as early as they did, but it was still great)

- Batman: Under the Red Hood (Simply because I haven't seen the others, and this one was pretty good)

- Carter Hayden as Noah in "Total Drama World Tour" (I'm thrilled that Carter got nominated for this award. He's very underrated in the TD series, but he's a fantastic voice actor. No one else could voice Noah as perfectly as he does, and capture the dry sarcasm. Carter is the one who makes Noah's character so perfect. I can't imagine anyone doing it better. Just because he doesn't do really fancy things with his voice like Scott McCord, doesn't mean he isn't talented in what he's supposed to do. Carter Hayden is very deserving of this award)

- Grey DeLisle as Daphne Blake in "Scooby-Doo!: Mystery, Incorporated" (She was great in a few cartoons this year, but I liked her best as Daphne, the role that she just seems born to play. DeLisle is really talented and captures the elements of Daphne's personality so perfectly)

- Steve Carell as Gru in "Despicable Me" (All of the nominees for this category are excellent, but I was really impressed with Steve Carell. I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that it was his voice unless I'd seen the credits. It's really talented the way that he brings the accent out. Unique, and still understandable)

- Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in "Tangled" (I don't have much to say, except that she was unbelievable. Rapunzel's voice was just 100% perfect. Alluring. There was just something special about it, like the Disney magic was flowing out of Moore's voice)

- Bret Haaland for "The Penguins of Madagascar" (It's a close one, but I think that Bret has done a great job on this series. He's adapted the movie to the show very well, and Penguins has become the best spin-off cartoon on television since Jimmy Neutron)

Best Director on a Movie
- Nathan Greno and Bryon Howard for "Tangled" (I'm flip-flopping between them and Lee Unkrich. So I have to side with my favorite movie of the year)

- Sym-Bionic Titan (Even though I'm not a huge fan of the show itself, the art direction is fantastic)

- Toy Story 3 (Pixar outdid themselves on this one. The animation, was once again, amazing. Tangled is close, but I have to give it to Toy Story 3)

- Sym-Bionic Titan (Same as the art direction. I may not be a huge fan of the show, but the animation is just amazing)

- Tangled (I really loved the animation in Tangled because of the classic vibe. And it was a beautiful mix of traditional and CGI animation, resulting in the whole movie being beautiful)

- The Penguins of Madagascar (I admit that the writing of some of the other shows may be slightly more clever. But for the demographic that Penguins is appealing to, it's managed to appeal to all sorts of ages and always have a captivating, unique storyline)

Best Writing on a Movie
- Toy Story 3 (I cried slightly more in Toy Story 3 than in Tangled. This one actually had me on the verge of sobbing. It was really touching, because Andy reminded me so much of myself. With that kind of reaction, I have to give the edge to Toy Story 3)

- Generator Rex (I really love the character designs in this show. They're creepy, but pretty cool)

- Tangled (The designs were so great. For CGI, they couldn't have had more a traditional feel. And that's what I loved about them)

Best Song on a TV Series
- Oh My Izzy from "Total Drama World Tour" (Glad my favorite TDWT song was the one that got nominated. This one was really sweet, and I had it in my head for weeks after it aired. Captures how great the Owen X Izzy relationship is)

Best Song on a Movie
- When Will My Life Begin from "Tangled" (Every Tangled song was brilliant. And I changed my mind on which my favorite one was several times. But I've listened to this song a ton over the past couple weeks, and I've gotten addicted to it. The tune even got stuck in my head during a test at school and I couldn't get it out. Plus, when I heard it, it was insane how much it reminded me of a friend of mine on another forum site. :p But it's really catchy, and inspiring too. Helped encourage me to get a start on my life)

- Total Drama World Tour (As silly as the songs were, I loved all of them. My favorites were "Oh My Izzy," "Strip Them Down," and "This is How we Will End It")

- Tangled (I don't need to say much about this category, other than the Tangled soundtrack was stellar. Everything about it, just amazing. I didn't dislike a single song, or any of the background music)

Best Webtoon
- Homestar Runner (Because I haven't seen the others)

Best Cartoon DVD Release
- Fantasia/Fantasia 2000: Diamond Edition (While I don't own it, Fantasia is my favorite movie and I'm thrilled to see it released on such a nice set)

I'm PM'ing them too, but I wanted to post my choices and reasons.

Pica

Jan 9, 2011
Argentina
Best TV Series
- Futurama

Best Theatrical Movie
- Toy Story 3

Best Foreign Series
- Total Drama World Tour

- Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue

- Annick Obonsawin as Sierra in "Total Drama World Tour"

- Stephen Sandoval for "Futurama"

Best Director on a Movie

- Adventure Time

- Toy Story 3

- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

- Shrek Forever After

- Phineas and Ferb

Best Writing on a Movie
- Toy Story 3

- Adventure Time

- Toy Story 3

Best Song on a TV Series
- Oh My Izzy from "Total Drama World Tour"

Best Song on a Movie
- I See the Light from "Tangled"

- Total Drama World Tour

- Shrek Forever After

Best Webtoon
- The Mighty B! - Famous Studios-Style Credits

Best Cartoon DVD Release
- Toy Story 3

Sailor V

Defender Of Justice
Apr 23, 2005
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
www.freewebs.com
Here are my nominations:

Best TV Series: Phineas and Ferb

Best Theatrical Movie: Tangled

Best Foreign Series: Gee, I don't know? I was going to say Total Drama World Tour. But after seeing the season finale, I'm not sure now.

Best Movie Made for TV or Direct to Video: I haven't seen any of those nominations.

Best Voice Actor on a TV Series: J.G. Quintel as Mordecai in "Regular Show"

Best Voice Actress on a TV Series: Annick Obonsawin as Sierra in "Total Drama World Tour" (Pronounced: An-neek Aw-baw-so-in)

Best Voice Actor on a Movie: Tom Hanks as Woody Pride in "Toy Story 3" (I didn't know Woody's last name is Pride.)

Best Voice Actress on a Movie: Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in "Tangled"

Best Director on a TV Series: Genndy Tartakovsky for "Sym-Bionic Titan"

Best Director on a Movie: Nathan Greno and Bryon Howard for "Tangled" & Lee Unkrich for "Toy Story 3" (Tie)

Best Art Direction on a TV Series: Sym-Bionic Titan

Best Art Direction on a Movie: Tangled

Best Animation on a TV Series: Sym-Bionic Titan

Best Animation on a Movie: Tangled

Best Writing on a TV Series: Phineas and Ferb

Best Writing on a Movie: Tangled & Toy Story 3 (Tie)

Best Character Design on a TV Series: Sym-Bionic Titan & T.U.F.F. Puppy (Tie)

Best Character Design on a Movie: Tangled

Best Song on a TV Series: Summer Belongs to You from "Phineas and Ferb"

Best Song on a Movie: Any song from "Tangled" because Alan Menken wrote those songs.

Best Music Score on a TV Series: Phineas and Ferb

Best Music Score on a Movie: Tangled & Toy Story 3 (Tie)

Best Webtoon: None, because I haven't seen nor heard any of those webtoons until now.

Best Cartoon DVD Release: Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition, The Princess and the Frog, & Toy Story 3 (Three-way Tie)

CartoonFridays

Promoted to detective.
Sep 22, 2010
Ratings
New York
CartoonFriday's CHOICES

BEST TV SERIES: Family Guy
BEST THEATRICAL MOVIE: Toy Story 3
BEST FOREIGN SERIES: Dragon Ball Z Kai
BEST TV/DTV MOVIE: Tinker Bell And The Great Fairy Rescue
BEST VOICE ACTOR IN A TV SERIES: JOHN DiMAGGIO ("Bender" - Futurama)
BEST VOICE ACTRESS IN A TV SERIES: GREY DeLISLE ("Dr. Holiday" - Generator Rex)
BEST VOICE ACTOR IN A MOVIE: TOM HANKS ("Woody" - Toy Story 3)
BEST VOICE ACTRESS IN A MOVIE: JOAN CUSACK ("Jessie" - Toy Story 3)
BEST DIRECTOR OF A TV SERIES: GREG COLTON (Family Guy)
BEST DIRECTOR OF A MOVIE: LEE UNKRICH (Toy Story 3)
BEST ART DIRECTION (TV SERIES): T.U.F.F. Puppy
BEST ART DIRECTION (MOVIE): Toy Story 3
BEST ANIMATION (TV SERIES): Adventute Time
BEST ANIMATION (MOVIE): Toy Story 3
BEST WRITING IN A TV SERIES: Family Guy
BEST WRITING IN A MOVIE: Toy Story 3
BEST CHARACTER DESIGN (TV SERIES): Sym-Bionic Titan
BEST CHARACTER DESIGN (MOVIE): How To Train Your Dragon
BEST SONG (TV SERIES): "All I Want For Christmas This Year" (Family Guy)
BEST SONG MOVIE: "Mother Knows Best" (Tangled)
BEST WEBTOON: Homestar Runner
Best DVD Release: Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Diamond Edition

Justy

Now you see me...now you don't
Jul 10, 2003
Tampa Bay, FL
Visit site
I'd like to cast a vote in all categories, but since in some I don't think I've seen enough of the nominees, I will not do so. Here goes:

Best TV Series - Phineas and Ferb
I had every intention of voting for Sym-Bionic Titan in this category, but after giving it some thought, I have to give it to Disney's popular series, mainly due to the low episode count of Sym-Bionic Titan compared to Phineas and Ferb. If there was a category for "Best New Series", Genndy Tartakovsky's latest creation would be my pick hands dwon and I fully expect the show to be my pick for best TV series in 2011, unless something that hasn't premiered yet outshines it. While I still like Family Guy, it has seen better days and it was great to see new Futurama episodes, but they weren't quite up to the level of the show before its cancellation. Adventure Time hasn't come close to its hype and Regular Show is hit and miss at best.

Best Theatrical Movie - Tangled
I admit I've only seen two of the nominated films (the other being Toy Story 3), but I can't imagine any of the others making more of an impression on me than Tangled. The story, characters, voice acting, animation, songs and score were all top-notch. For more on my views about the film, read my post in the Tangled thread in the Disney forum.

Best Foreign Series - Total Drama World Tour
Although most of the characters were used in the two previous seasons of the Total Drama series, the third season still was very engaging and funny (a definate improvement over Total Drama Action). The addition of songs performed by the cast (quite a few very well done) was a bonus. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a unique series that gives a nod to American cartoons (though their transformed design is pure anime). 6teen's final season was a fitting end to a great series. (Here's hoping we here in the U.S. will get to see the ENTIRE series at some point.) FMA is a good retelling of the story more in line with the original manga. Despite its similarity with 6teen, Stoked has a charm of its own and I hope it finds its way back onto U.S. airwaves. Dragon Ball Z Kai is a definate improvement over the original version, but doesn't really offer anything new.

Best Movie Made for TV or Direct to Video - Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue
Both of the previous Tinker Bell movies were very good and this new offering turned out to be the best with good character interactions, even with (gasp!) HUMANS. The animation and score were stellar. Firebreather was an enjoyable film, though nothing spectacular. With some reworking, it might make a good series. I haven't seen the other nominees. I'm surprised that the Phineas and Ferb movie "Summer Belongs to You" didn't make the final list--I would have voted for it.

Best Voice Actor on a TV Series - Brian Posehn (Octus - Sym-Bionic Titan)
Posehn's familiar voice brings much to the role in Genndy Tartakovsky's latest series. Carter Hayden's dry and sarcastic portrayal of Noah in Total Drama World Tour was wonderful , showing how entertaining the underused character could be.

Best Voice Actress on a TV Series - Annick Obonsawin (Sierra - Total Drama World Tour)
Obonsawin's manic/depressive portrayal of the obssesive fangirl Sierra on Total Drama World Tour was among the best things about the series. Grey DeLisle and Tara Strong are two of the best VAs in the business, but didn't quite make the grade for these nominated roles. Olivia Olsen is great as Marceline, but I like her just a bit more as Vanessa in Phineas and Ferb.

Best Voice Actor in a Movie - None
Not voting in this category as I've only seen two of the films and believe Carell and Ferrell might have given the others a good run in my mind. Hanks and Levi were good in their roles, if not outstanding.

Best Voice Actress in a Movie - Mandy Moore (Rapunzel - Tangled)
Moore gets my nod given how much I enjoyed the film and particularly her singing in the role. Donna Murphy was excellent in her role also. Joan Cusack's reprisal as Jesse was also most welcome. I haven't seen the other nominees.

Best Director of a TV Series - Genndy Tartakovsky (Sym-Bionic Titan)
Despite its low episode count, certain aspects I've seen of the show so far are brilliant. Scott Jeralds did a great job on the highly underrated and sadly cancelled Secret Saturdays

Best Director of a Movie - Nathan Greno and Bryon Howard (Tangled)
Given how much I enjoyed the film, I have to give it to this duo. Lee Unkrich did a good job with the Toy Story finale. Mamoru Hosoda did a fine job on Summer Wars, especially given the different styles of animation that were involved with the film. I hope more people will get a chance to see the film. I haven't seen the other two films.

Best Art Direction on a TV Series - Sym-Bionic Titan
The show is one of the most unique looking series on TV today. T.U.F.F. Puppy is a nice piece of eye candy, even for a show that is clearly "cartoony". MAD uses many different art styles to bring new and old works from MAD Magazine to life. Both Adventure Time and Regular Show use a rather mininal art style that really doesn't appeal to me much.

Best Art Direction in a Movie - Summer Wars
After much thought, I had to give the nod to this film, mainly due to the awesome mix of traditional 2D anime and CG sequences taking place in the world of OZ. Coming a close second was Tangled with its wonderful color scheme and attractive characters designs. Toy Story 3 was great but didn't really improve much on its predecessors. I haven't seen the other three nominees.

Best Animation on a TV Series - The Boondocks
The show has the most detailed and fluid animation of any of the nominees. Sym-Bionic Titan looks great but lacks the detail and fluidity of The Boondocks. The Avengers has a very clean and slick look to it. Generator Rex is very similar to the Ben 10 series in animation style. Adventure Time is too simple looking compared to the others to win for me. Flapjack seems to be an acquired taste, as I found it to be pretty ugly looking.

Best Animation in a Movie - Tangled
Best animation I've seen in an animated movie in years, hands down. Toy Story 3 looked great but lacked the spark seen in Tangled. I haven't seen the other nominees

Best Writing on a TV Series - Phineas and Ferb
The show never ceases to amaze me in that it uses reoccuring setups and lines but still seems fresh, not to mention the brilliant lyrics of the songs. Family Guy still shines from time to time. I don't find much difference in the other three nominees.

Best Writing in a Movie - Tangled
Except for the unexpected hair-cutting scene, what really distinguishes the film is the lyrics. Toy Story 3 was well-written send off for the series. I haven't seen the other nominees.

Best Character Design on a TV Series - Sym-Bionic Titan
The characters have a very unique look to them, part Cyborg 009 and part Powerpuff Girls. I just love the attractive yet cartoony look of T.U.F.F. Puppy. The Avengers continue the excellent look of a lot of recent superhero shows. The Penguins of Madagascar has a good look to it, though a number of characters are just taken from the film it was spawned from. Generator Rex looks fine, but isn't much different from some other shows already on the air. Again, if you like minimalist art styles, Adventure Time and Regular Show are for you.

Best Character Design in a Movie - Tangled
The film has the most attractive female character ever created for a CG movie. Most of the characters in Toy Story 3 had already been seen, but the new ones, especially the human ones, looked great. I liked the look of the characters in How to Train Your Dragon, but I haven't seen the whole movie. I also haven't seen the other two nominees.

Best Song on a TV Series - Summer Belongs to You (Phineas and Ferb)
A gloriously infectious and uplifting song from what I thought was the best TV moive of the year. "Trap of Love" was a winner, sung by Daphne and the Hex Girls and directly addressing Fred's ignorance in maybe the best Scooby-Doo TV series to date. "Oh My Izzy" was one of the best songs in Total Drama World Tour. Both songs from the Family Guy Christmas special were great, but "Christmas Time is Killing Us" was particularly well done. Though I watch both Adventure Time and Regular Show regularly, I can't recall the songs from those series. That should tell you something.

Best Song in a Movie - When Will My Life Begin (Tangled)
This song was a great introduction to the character, though the other songs from the film were excellent also, particularly "Mother Knows Best". I haven't seen Despicable Me.

Best Music Score on a TV Series - Sym-Bionic Titan
A very interesting score so far, with light music during dramatic and action scenes and dramatic music during comedic scenes. Phineas and Ferb and Total Drama World Tour really excelled with songs, not the scores. The scores for both Adventure Time and Regular Show really didn't distinguish themselves to me.

Best Music Score in a Movie - Tangled
Wonderful score in the film with lots of parts harkening back to some of the fine songs. Toy Story 3's score was best during the emotional scenes. I haven't seen the other nominees.

I haven't seen much in webtoons and haven't purchased any of the nominated DVD releases.

Last edited by a moderator:

simpsonsfan

Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
Staff member
Aug 19, 2006
Ratings
Maine, USA
Here are my votes:

Best TV Series
- Futurama

Best Theatrical Movie
- Toy Story 3

Best Foreign Series
- 6Teen

- Firebreather

- Grey DeLisle as Daphne Blake in "Scooby-Doo!: Mystery, Incorporated"

- Bret Haaland for "The Penguins of Madagascar"

Best Director on a Movie

- MAD

- Toy Story 3

- Not voting because I've never watched any of these shows.

- Toy Story 3

Best Writing on a Movie
- Toy Story 3

- Toy Story 3

Best Song on a TV Series
- All I Want For Christmas This Year from "Family Guy"

Best Song on a Movie
- Never watched either of the movies.

- Phineas and Ferb

- Toy Story 3

Best Webtoon
- Never watched any of them.

Best Cartoon DVD Release
- Toy Story 3

Best TV Series
Sym-Bionic Titan

Best Theatrical Movie
- Toy Story 3

Best Foreign Series
- 6Teen

- John DiMaggio (Adventure Time)

- Olivia Olsen (Adventure Time)

- Jay Bruchel (How To Train Your Dragon)

- Mandy Moore (Tangled)

- Genndy Tartakovsky (Sym-Bionic Titan)

Best Director on a Movie
- Lee Enrich (Toy Story 3)

- Sym Bionic Titan

- Tangled

- Adventure Time

- Toy Story 3

- Phineas and Ferb

Best Writing on a Movie
- Toy Story 3

- Sym-Bionic Titan

- Tangled

Best Song on a TV Series
- Summer Belongs To You (Phineas and Ferb)

Best Song on a Movie
- Mother Knows Best (Tangled)

- Phineas and Ferb

- Toy Story 3

Best Webtoon
- Assassination of Yogi Bear

Best Cartoon DVD Release
- Toy Story 3

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
Dec 14, 2007
Ratings
Unova, AKA Pokémon's NY
daxdiv.blogspot.com
I sent my votes to Blankments already, but I'm willing to share mine.

Best TV Series
- Regular Show- To me, there isn't an episode of this series that doesn't make me laugh in any way, shape, or form.

Best Theatrical Movie
- Despicable Me- I'm voting for the underdog, and Despicable Me was a pretty good film all together.

Best Foreign Series
- Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt- I voted for this for a good laugh. This was a pretty good show.

- Firebreather- I actually went out of my way to read some of the comics after the CN Show, and I did like the special.

- J.G. Quintel as Mordecai in "Regular Show"-

- Annick Obonsawin as Sierra in "Total Drama World Tour"- There's something about her stalker like voice that I find an appeal in it.

- Steve Carell as Gru in "Despicable Me"- I Just like how he was able to stay consistent with the Russian Accent throughout the film

- Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in "Tangled"- Rapunzel had a nice voice

- Mike Roth for "Regular Show"- I'm pretty sure some of my favorite episodes of Regular Show are directed by him, so why not?

Best Director on a Movie
- Lee Unkrich for "Toy Story 3"- Toy Story 3 was one of the best films of the year, and Lee did do justice for the series.

- MAD- While the show does lack something for me, I do like the different animation styles put into every short.

- Despicable Me- I thought it was interesting to hear that this movie used some shortcuts, and for that I do give them props for that,

- Adventure Time- Out of the few in this one, Adventure Time's animation is pretty sweet, especially for it's simplistic art style.

- How to Train Your Dragon- The flight scenes were amazing, along with the battle near the end.

- Regular Show- I just love how they turn mundane things in life into wacky situation.

Best Writing on a Movie
- Despicable Me- I thought this was pretty good, considering it was one of the few not based on an existing property.

- Adventure Time- OK, considering this is the show were you have a small elephant, a pinata, bakery goods, and all that come to live, and they have unique look, I got to give Adventure Time props for their character design.

- Despicable Me- I liked the design of Gru, the Minions, the girls, and Vector.

Best Song on a TV Series
- Trap of Love from "Scooby-Doo!: Mystery, Incorporated"- The scene in question with this song was done pretty well

Best Song on a Movie
- I've Got a Dream from "Tangled"- I say this was Tangled best song, it sure was the one that stuck with me after viewing the movie in theaters.

- Total Drama World Tour- I think I might be misjudging this category, but whatver, TDWT had quite a good number of musical cues this season, that I think it's a vote not wasted.

- How to Train Your Dragon- The music did set the mood pretty well.

Best Webtoon
- Homestar Runner- I'm more familiar with HR, so I voted for it.

Best Cartoon DVD Release
- Toy Story 3- This was the only one I bought out of the ones listed, so I felt my pick was justified.

HG Revolution

Truth (with crazy opinions!)
Feb 28, 2006
Ratings
Needham, MA
hoyvinglavin64.livejournal.com
As far as the webtoon category goes, here are links to the nominees:

- The Assassination of Yogi Bear by the Coward Boo-Boo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6w0r-ScEG4)
- Homestar Runner (http://www.homestarrunner.com)
- It's Oppo (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/student/its-oppo-by-tyler-chen.html)
- Llamas with Hats 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49j6_uk0g3k)
- The Mighty B! - Famous Studios-Style Credits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI6sLBduoeg)

I must say, it will be weird if Homestar Runner wins this year on notoriety alone, given they only really made two cartoons this year and they were the ONLY nominee last year (and last year Sita Sings the Blues premiered on the internet and Time of Eve was still in production, to point out two of the best webtoons ever). It does say something, though, that it's the only series listed, as opposed to a student film or a viral video. Kind of shows how little the format's actually being utilized.

Doguineta

Sep 11, 2010
Ratings
Uruguay
twitter.com
Best TV Series: Futurama

Best Theatrical Movie: How To Train Your Dragon

Best Foreign Series
: Total Drama World Tour

Best Movie Made for TV or Direct to Video: Firebreather

Best Voice Actor on a TV Series: J.G. Quintel as Mordecai in "Regular Show"

Best Voice Actress on a TV Series: Tara Strong as Ilana in "Sym-Bionic Titan"

Best Voice Actor on a Movie: Will Ferrell as MegaMind in "MegaMind"

Best Voice Actress on a Movie: Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in "Tangled"

Best Director on a TV Series: Stephen Sandoval for "Futurama"

Best Director on a Movie: Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders for "How to Train Your Dragon"

Best Art Direction on a TV Series: T.U.F.F. Puppy

Best Art Direction on a Movie: Toy Story 3

Best Animation on a TV Series: Adventure Time

Best Animation on a Movie: Shrek Forever After

Best Writing on a TV Series: Regular Show

Best Writing on a Movie: Tangled

Best Character Design on a TV Series: T.U.F.F. Puppy

Best Character Design on a Movie: How to Train Your Dragon

Best Song on a TV Series: Summer Belongs to You from "Phineas and Ferb"

Best Song on a Movie: Despicable Me from "Despicable Me"

Best Music Score on a TV Series: Phineas & Ferb

Best Music Score on a Movie:
Tangled

Best Webtoon
: The Mighty B! - Famous Studios-Style Credits

Best Cartoon DVD Release: Toy Story 3

Blankments

The Sparkle Rises!
Dec 6, 2009
Indiana
My votes!

Best TV Series: Regular Show (This show has quickly become one of my favorites, since it seems made just for me. I love the sense of humor of it all. Adventure Time started out great, but has declined to just slightly above average. Phineas and Ferb may have been up here, if I didn't lose Disney Channel back in June. Sym-Bionic Titan may have also been up here, if I didn't stop watching in October due to time constraints. I haven't seen Family Guy and Futurama, so no comments there.)

Best Theatrical Movie: Toy Story 3 (I was waiting for Toy Story 3 to come out, since, well, Toy Story 2, and it did not disappoint. I feel as though I can claim as best Pixar movie so far, with how it can be hilarious, and also downright sad. On Sunday night, I was watching the Golden Globes and the excerpt for Toy Story 3 they chose was the "So long, partner" scene, which actually made me tear up on the spot. That's how good Toy Story 3 was. Tangled was my second favorite movie of the year and a much better return-to-form for than The Princess and the Frog. How to Train Your Dragon was my third favorite movie of the year and it showed DreamWorks can do great films if they try. MegaMind was the best comedy I saw last year, and was way better than the other villain movie, Despicable Me, which was, in reality, just plain average.)

Best Foreign Series: Total Drama World Tour (The only one I watched of the nominees. I love Total Drama also, so it'd probably be up here anyway.)

Best Movie Made for TV or Direct to Video: Firebreather (Once again, the only one of the nominees I watched. Interesting movie though, and well worth my time.)

Best Voice Actor on a TV Series: Carter Hayden as Noah in “Total Drama World Tour” (A difficult choice, but Carter Hayden is what makes Noah easily the funniest character on the show, and Noah really got to shine this season. John DiMaggio was great as Jake, but I haven't seen Futurama. Sam Marin gives Pops a funny, whimsical voice. Brian Posehn adds a lot of fun to Sym-Bionic Titan as Octus, easily my favorite part of the show. J.G. Quintel has a nice low-key voice for Mordecai, and Jeremy Shada is nice too, but neither of them are that great.)

Best Voice Actress on a TV Series: Tara Strong as Ilana in “Sym-Bionic Titan” (I just feel as though it's her voice that truly carries Sym-Bionic Titan. Grey DeLisle is great in both of her nominated roles, but when isn't she? Annick Obonsawin did have an interesting voice for Sierra and Olivia Olson definitely had fun with Marceline. Hynden Walch was my second pick for her great Princess Bubblegum. Once again, I haven't seen Futurama so I can't comment there.)

Best Voice Actor on a Movie: Jay Baruchel as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III in "How to Train Your Dragon" (Another hard choice for me. I honestly feel that Jay Baruchel had a breakout role in voice-acting for How to Train Your Dragon and he was just great with expressing himself and doing an overall good job. Will Ferrell was my second choice for making MegaMind so alive, and yet still a character, not Will Ferrell in an ink-suit. Tom Hanks did a good job reprising his role as Woody, which, by the way, last name is Pride. Lee Unkrich confirmed it. Zachary Levi did a decent job as Flynn but I was more surprised by his good singing voice. Steve Carell, I did not enjoy partically. He just put on an accent. But, anyways, all the nominees were pretty good.)

Best Voice Actress on a Movie: Mandy Moore as Rapunzel in “Tangled" (She, like everyone else has mentioned, embodied Disney magic in her voice, which gives her my pick. Joan Cusack did a decent job of Jessie but nothing truly special. American Ferrera and Tina Fey were good in their roles but nothing outstanding. Donna Murphy also did a good job.)

Best Director on a TV Series: Scott Jeralds for “The Secret Saturdays” (I feel as though The Secret Saturdays deserve one last award, so that's why I picked this. Genndy Tartakovsky does a great job directing Sym-Bionic Titan, and Mike Roth has done a lot of my favorite episodes of Regular Show. I haven't seen Family Guy, The Penguins of Madagascar, or Futurama.)

Best Director on a Movie: Lee Unkrich for “Toy Story 3” (Even though I've seen all the movies here but Summer Wars, I feel as though Lee Unkrich should win since I feel as though I know him more personally through his Twitter account, and he seems like a cool guy so I pick him. Chris Sanders was my second choice, though.)

Best Art Direction on a TV Series: Sym-Bionic Titan (The designs of the world and characters have a nice look and I love the show's art design. Adventure Time is nicely vibrant and MAD has great diversity. Regular Show is just, er, regular art, and T.U.F.F. Puppy is typical Hartman style.)

Best Art Direction on a Movie: Tangled (This film was just plain gorgeous. I loved the way the world looked like it was actually from a fairy tale. All the other movies were just typical designs, even though I haven't seen Summer Wars.)

Best Animation on a TV Series: Sym-Bionic Titan (The blend of CGI and 2D is the most seamless I've ever seen it and it looks great! Generator Rex and The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack have typical, if smooth, animation. Adventure Time has a great color pallet. I haven't seen The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes or The Boondocks.)

Best Animation on a Movie: Tangled (This is the best CGI animation I've seen ever! It looks hand-drawn yet also still CGI. I have no clue how Despicable Me and Shrek Forever After were nominated since they both looked just average. How to Train Your Dragon had some great character animation, especially on Toothless. MegaMind had great effects. Toy Story 3 may deserve the award just for the animation in the final scene, but I'm sticking with Tangled. I haven't seen The Illusionist.)

Best Writing on a TV Series: Regular Show (This show makes me laugh nearly everytime I see it, and I doubt it'll let up anytime soon due to the great writing. Adventure Time is good too, but has dropped in quality. Phineas and Ferb may have been up here if I didn't lose Disney Channel back in June. I haven't seen Family Guy and The Penguins of Madagascar.)

Best Writing on a Movie: MegaMind (All the other movies up here had a good writing, Toy Story 3 especially, but I have to give it to MegaMind. MegaMind made me laugh more than any other movie this year, and that, to me, deserves some recognition.)

Best Character Design on a TV Series: Adventure Time (This show has new characters every episode and they're always uniquely designed. Generator Rex and Sym-Bionic Titan also look good but I prefer Adventure Time's art style. Regular Show's designs are, well, regular, and T.U.F.F. Puppy is typical Hartman designs. I haven't seen The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and The Penguins of Madagascar.)

Best Character Design on a Movie: How to Train Your Dragon (Despicable Me has the Minions, MegaMind has the BrainBots, Tangled has Maximus, and Toy Story 3 has all the new toys. However, I'd say the best design would have to go to How to Train Your Dragon. Toothless is designed amazingly, and I like the style of all the other dragons, with their creative design.)

Best Song on a TV Series: Summer Belongs to You from “Phineas and Ferb” (I'm glad we have this category this year, since I feel like Phineas and Ferb has deserved a song award for some time now. Summer Belongs to You is just a happy, catchy song, going back to '60's musicals for homage. House Hunting Song is a fun, catchy song. Oh My Izzy is a decent song, but there were better songs from World Tour nominate, like Strip Them Down, which might have stolen my pick if it was nominated. Party Tonight is a cheesy song, which filled its purpose in the show, but as a song, isn't really that good. Trap of Love was nice, but not great. I haven't seen Family Guy.)

Best Song on a Movie: I See the Light from “Tangled” (I was debating which Tangled song to pick, and I went with this one. It's the first Disney song ever to almost make me cry at the theater and I just love it. I've Got a Dream is a great song, and I accidentally memorized it, along with Mother Knows Best. When Will My Life Begin is the worst song in the movie, in my opinion, but it is still a great song. Despicable Me isn't my style of music, so I didn't like it.)

Best Music Score on a TV Series: Total Drama World Tour (Since I don't really listen to the background score on TV shows, it's really just narrowed down to the two musical shows, either Phineas and Ferb or Total Drama World Tour, and I lost Disney Channel in June so Total Drama World Tour gets my pick. Adventure Time has some decent music at points and Regular Show musical fun really comes from the '80's montages. Sym-Bionic Titan is pretty good too, I guess.)

Best Music Score on a Movie: How to Train Your Dragon (MegaMind and Shrek Forever After don't really have noticable scores and Toy Story 3 was great in the final scenes, but I really didn't notice earlier. Between either Tangled or How to Train Your Dragon, I picked How to Train Your Dragon because it has the better score while Tangled has the better overall music. How to Train Your Dragon's score was easily the best I've heard this year, in both animation and live-action. Also, it has gotten me interested in movie scores as more than just background music, which why it deserves the award.)

Best Webtoon: Homestar Runner (The only I've seen, and the Decemberween toon was hilarious this year.)

Best Cartoon DVD Release: Toy Story 3 (Well, it's the only I bought.)

Here's my selections, with my reasons why I voted that way. If I don't mention a category, I'm not voting for it.

Best TV Series: Regular Show
None of the six chosen nominees are in my Top 5 for the year, and only three were in my Top 10. That eliminated Adventure Time, Futurama, and Sym-Bionic Titan right off the bat. Family Guy probably had its best calendar year ever, but most of its good episodes were front-loaded. Phineas and Ferb was the opposite - worst calendar year ever, but saved by some really great episodes down the stretch.

That leaves Regular Show. It's only been around since September, but the show just got better and better with each passing week and never had a serious misstep along the way. When I think about best TV series of the year, the biggest weight will always go the show that is not only good, but consistently so.

Only Regular Show fits that profile among the listed nominees.

Best Foreign Series: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Haven't seen Panty and Stocking. Dragon Ball Z Kai is neat but essentially just a reversioning of a good oldie; Stoked had merits but is inconsistent in quality. Total Drama World Tour was a vast improvement over Total Drama Action, introducing new characters, relationships, and songs. 6teen had a heartwarming fourth and final season, but will unfortunately will continue to be the 'best cartoon that not enough people watched.' Either TDWT or 6teen would've been worthy of winning this award.

Unfortunately, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood had to come along. The re-imagining of the hit anime, now more faithful to the manga, was great. Sure, we had to sit through a sort-of retelling of the first 25 episodes of the original FMA (though in about half the time). But after that the show really took off, with the high-octane action, drama, and mystery that made the original show good, but now with more punch and a lot more faithful to the source material.

No question... FMA: Brotherhood is easily my pick here.

Best Voice Actor on a TV Series: Brian Posehn as Octus in "Sym-Bionic Titan"
It's ironic that my choice came down to the two quietest characters on this list. But as much as Carter Hayden helped make Noah one of the rare Total Drama characters to increase in popularity over the show's run, like in World Tour... I'm going to instead give it to Brian Posehn's Octus. It's just something about the way Posehn brings to life this highly-intelligent robot, but particularly when his character deals with learning the oddities of Earthlings.

'Specially when it deals with understanding romantic advances on him.

Best Voice Actress on a TV Series:
Annick Obonsawin as Sierra in "Total Drama World Tour"
Again, this came down to two choices. Princess Bubblegum is my favorite Hynden Walch role since her turn as Starfire on "Teen Titans," but she just doesn't show up quite often enough in her show compared to my final pick. Annick Obonsawin brought the rationality she's known for in her previously best-known role as Inez on "Cyberchase," and added ten degrees of insanity to one of Total Drama's new cast members this year, Sierra. Her character's actions (particularly towards Cody) split the fandom, but that's attributed to Obonsawin's ability to sell ultra-fan Sierra as the way she is.

The best actors/actresses make you love or hate their character, and Annick Obonsawin definitely did that this year with her portrayal of Sierra.

Best Director on a TV Series: Genndy Tartakovsky for "Sym-Bionic Titan"
It's hard to pick against Tartakovsky, who always seems to understand what a show needs to do to be great.

Best Art Direction on a TV Series: Sym-Bionic Titan
Sym-Bionic Titan is just a great looking series from top to bottom, though Adventure Time gets an honorable mention for making some of its most simplistic designs look awe-inspiring.

Best Animation on a TV Series: Adventure Time
Again, down to "Time" and "Titan," but this time I'll lean in favor of the "Adventure" crew. "Adventure" just seems to look just a little bit better animation-wise.

Best Writing on a TV Series: Regular Show
When a show makes everyday humdrum work activities exciting and entertaining, you know you've got a winning writing staff.

Best Character Design on a TV Series: Regular Show
Hard choice, as I don't see a nominee that stands out here. And then I thought... which of these shows has a large amount of unique characters that one would be hard-pressed to see in another show?

And the show that answers that question the best? Regular Show.

Best Song on a TV Series: Summer Belongs to You, "Phineas and Ferb"
There are a number of good nominees here. "All I Want For Christmas This Year" was a great way to showcase the Christmas lists of every character on the show in a quick and jingly way. "Christmastime is Killing Us" is a dark take on how the holiday taxes Santa and his elves so. The "House Hunting Song" is solely responsible for starting the show's fandom's love for Marceline the Vampire Queen. And "Oh My Izzy" did well to express heartbreak with a crayon-like imagination.

But none of them was the star-studded gem that was title track to the first hour-long "Phineas and Ferb" episode, "Summer Belongs to You." At first, it seems like your typical end-of-musical closing number, which in a way it is. But I dare you to try not singing along while simultaneously taking the lyrics to heart. Add along the stunning vocals of Vincent Martella, Alyson Stoner, and Ashley Tisdale (Phineas, Isabella, and Candace, respectively), and you've got a legendary song that's going to be remembered for ages.

The song has personified the theme of "Phineas and Ferb" in a nutshell... to do something extraordinary with your lives. The song may be themed for summer, but it's a philosophy that can be applied year-round... and "Summer Belongs to You" shows that it should.

Best Music Score on a TV Series: Total Drama World Tour
The decision to add a musical element to "Total Drama" for its third season paid off, despite the apparent use of Autotune in several songs. Even with "Summer Belongs to You" and a few other gems from "Phineas and Ferb," "Total Drama World Tour" hit it out of the park more consistently - particularly with "Oh My Izzy," "Stuck to a Pole," and of course, the ABBA-inspired "We Built Gwen's Face."

Status
Not open for further replies.