Toonzai/Toonzaki Speculation Thread

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Voltron and Macross too, it would seem...but wait, if ADV's dead...who has Macross? o_O

I also have to wonder if they'll get anything from Bandai, too...

I'm not clear on what Macross' status technically is since the Sentai Filmworks reboot, but in any event the distribution and merchandising rights it for outside of Japan ultimately lie with Harmony Gold USA. It's been that way ever since that company acquired those rights in the 80s in order to create Robotech.

I'm not clear on what Macross' status technically is since the Sentai Filmworks reboot, but in any event the distribution and merchandising rights for outside of Japan ultimately lie with Harmony Gold USA. It's been that way ever since that company acquired those rights in the 80s in order to create Robotech.

Ah, Harmony Gold. That makes a lot more sense.

Still pulling for some Gundam or Code Geass to get tossed up there subbed so I can finish watching the later in Japanese. >_<

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
I have no Facebook, so somebody be awesome for me and tell them every Digimon season uncut preferably with subtitles.

Soul

Their FB icon changed slightly..
I get a Toonami vibe from it.

Divinenega

Well, this gave me an excuse to make a Facebook account.

I put up a thread to ask them if they were considering simulcasting Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's(they have the unaired episodes anyway so I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to clear it). It would bring more people to the site...and hopefully allow them to patch things up with the angry Yu-Gi-Oh fanbase.

I also put in a request for them to stream Season 0.

Nobody is ever going to license Yu-Gi-Oh!'s first anime. It's pretty much going to spend the rest of eternity inside of Toei's vault. I can almost guarantee it.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
For a time there were uncut episodes streaming on Youtube in 2009, remember? It's far from impossible that it'd make a comeback, especially considering the multiple older Toei properties that are already online.

For a time there were uncut episodes streaming on Youtube in 2009, remember? It's far from impossible that it'd make a comeback, especially considering the multiple older Toei properties that are already online.

Toei no longer as the license to Yu-Gi-Oh! and the second anime that was produced can no longer be licensed out due to contractual agreements (or lack thereof). Neither the first or second anime will be coming over here for quite a long while, if ever.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
They don't have the license anymore? Who does now, if not the company that created the show?

Edit: Oh--by the second anime do you mean the Duel Monsters series that came to the U.S. in the first place?

They don't have the license anymore? Who does now, if not the company that created the show?

Edit: Oh--by the second anime do you mean the Duel Monsters series that came to the U.S. in the first place?

Yeah, Duel Monsters. For some reason or another a contract over in Japan wasn't renewed with Yûgi/Atem's actor...so international distributors had to pull the original version. I doubt 4Kids would ever try to settle this issue because...well, they're 4Kids and would likely never bother with it when they have a three year old-proof dub.

Toei Animation, now, hasn't had the license to the property for over a decade. While they may own the show they produced they likely don't have the rights to do anything with it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, Duel Monsters. For some reason or another a contract over in Japan wasn't renewed with Yûgi/Atem's actor...so international distributors had to pull the original version. I doubt 4Kids would ever try to settle this issue because...well, they're 4Kids and would likely never bother with it when they have a three year old-proof dub.

Toei Animation, now, hasn't had the license to the property for over a decade. While they may own the show they produced they likely don't have the rights to do anything with it.

4Kids probably could try to legally settle the issue in order to get the streaming rights, but I doubt that they'll do so. Mainly because it would be pretty expensive, they can't afford it and for just obtaining the rights to legally stream it online wouldn't be worth all of the hassle, at least in their current financial state. Still, it's such a shame that the contract issue with Yugi/Atem's voice actor prevented them from putting the whole series up. While I would have preferred an uncut dub, despite that possibly being more expensive, I was so looking forward to seeing the whole Duel Monster series subbed, especially the DOMA saga.

I always thought that Toei couldn't do anything with the first Yu-Gi-Oh! anime because of TV Tokyo controlling the other three series. That and I don't believe that the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series was that successful possibly due to the changes they made with the first seven volumes of the manga. Instead of going with the Duelist manga storyline after covering the first seven volumes, they stopped and TV Tokyo just continued the series with the Duelist storyline. From what I understand about the first series, I don't think that we're missing that much by most likely not ever seeing it on Toonzaki.

Divinenega

Even so, 4 Kids DOES have the okay to stream Duel Monsters, and from what I saw on the Facebook page, them seem at least slightly interested in streaming Season 0.

4Kids probably could try to legally settle the issue in order to get the streaming rights, but I doubt that they'll do so. Mainly because it would be pretty expensive, they can't afford it and for just obtaining the rights to legally stream it online wouldn't be worth all of the hassle, at least in their current financial state. Still, it's such a shame that the contract issue with Yugi/Atem's voice actor prevented them from putting the whole series up. While I would have preferred an uncut dub, despite that possibly being more expensive, I was so looking forward to seeing the whole Duel Monster series subbed, especially the DOMA saga.

I always thought that Toei couldn't do anything with the first Yu-Gi-Oh! anime because of TV Tokyo controlling the other three series. That and I don't believe that the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series was that successful possibly due to the changes they made with the first seven volumes of the manga. Instead of going with the Duelist manga storyline after covering the first seven volumes, they stopped and TV Tokyo just continued the series with the Duelist storyline. From what I understand about the first series, I don't think that we're missing that much by most likely not ever seeing it on Toonzaki.

The rights to the Toei series are tied up because of TV Tokyo's ownership of the primary rights, at least as I have understood it for many a year.

D Dubbs

Wish Upon A Star
No, in fact Mark Kirk basically implied that they couldn't stream Duel Monsters due to a rights issue in Japan with Yugi's Japanse voice actor. However, they are planning to sub GX and 5D's.

Here's more info via the FB page:

Initially we will have a large portion of content via the Hulu syndication service. We will also have some addition 4Kids episodes which are currently not online. We have a little of the chicken/egg conundrum where partners are waiting for site performance.

We want the support of the entire anime fanbase, however most know where to hunt down their favorite titles (legally hopefully). Toonzaki will expand the audience to those fans who may be a little less "fanatical" but still would enjoy these titles if they discover them. Building upon that success we should be able to expand the scope of the content available here and on partner sites as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Divinenega

Eh, well so much for that epic marathon I was planning...oh well, if they do a 5D's simulcast that should be good enough.

aegisrawks

CW (TheCW4Kids) 0.9/5 Avg. (7a-12p)
Cubix 0.1/2; Cubix 0.4/3; Sonic X 1.0/7; Sonic X 1.2/7; Yu-Gi-Oh! 1.2/6; Sonic X 1.3/6; Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.3/6; Yu-Gi-Oh! 0.8/4; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.7/3; Dinosaur King 0.7/3

ABC 0.7/3 Avg. (9a-12p)
The Emperor's New School 0.5/3; The Replacements 0.6/3; That's So Raven 0.9/4; That's So Raven 1.1/5; Hannah Montana 0.6/3; Suite Life of Zack & Cody 0.6/3

NBC (Qubo on NBC)Avg. 0.3/1 (10a-1p)
Turbo Dogs 0.2/1; Shelldon 0.2/1; 3-2-1 Penguins 0.2/1; Babar 0.2/1; Willa's Wild Life 0.4/2; Jane and the Dragon 0.5/3

CBS* (CookieJarTV) 0.2/1 Avg. (7-10a/10a-12p)
Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.1/0; Strawberry Shortcake 0.1/1; Sabrina: The Animated Series 0.1/0; Sabrina: The Animated Series 0.1/1; Noonbory and the Super 7 0.1/0; Busytown Mysteries 0.2/1

Toonzai Was the highiest rated SatAM block with DBZKai leading with 1.3 million viewers!

Golfkid

CW (TheCW4Kids) 0.9/5 Avg. (7a-12p)
Cubix 0.1/2; Cubix 0.4/3; Sonic X 1.0/7; Sonic X 1.2/7; Yu-Gi-Oh! 1.2/6; Sonic X 1.3/6; Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.3/6; Yu-Gi-Oh! 0.8/4; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.7/3; Dinosaur King 0.7/3

ABC 0.7/3 Avg. (9a-12p)
The Emperor's New School 0.5/3; The Replacements 0.6/3; That's So Raven 0.9/4; That's So Raven 1.1/5; Hannah Montana 0.6/3; Suite Life of Zack & Cody 0.6/3

NBC (Qubo on NBC)Avg. 0.3/1 (10a-1p)
Turbo Dogs 0.2/1; Shelldon 0.2/1; 3-2-1 Penguins 0.2/1; Babar 0.2/1; Willa's Wild Life 0.4/2; Jane and the Dragon 0.5/3

CBS* (CookieJarTV) 0.2/1 Avg. (7-10a/10a-12p)
Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.1/0; Strawberry Shortcake 0.1/1; Sabrina: The Animated Series 0.1/0; Sabrina: The Animated Series 0.1/1; Noonbory and the Super 7 0.1/0; Busytown Mysteries 0.2/1

Toonzai Was the highiest rated SatAM block with DBZKai leading with 1.3 million viewers!

I'm not completely sure if that means 1.3 million. I'd have to double check.

It might be, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts