ToonHeads?

Racattack!Force

私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !
From 1994-2003 there was a show that Cartoon Network aired called Toonheads. What ever happened to it?
They just decided to end it. The regime was changing at the time, and the new execs coming in didn't want it anymore.

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
I'm not sure if people were/are aware, but I think that "Toon Heads" had been around since Day 1 of Cartoon Network (October 1, 1992), as it was mentioned in the earliest press releases for the then-new network.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
I believe one of the reasons the show was terminated was that it cost CN too much to produce. (Even if it was mostly existing shorts, the research the show used was too big).

Mickialla

Suave Incarnate
I believe one of the reasons the show was terminated was that it cost CN too much to produce. (Even if it was mostly existing shorts, the research the show used was too big).

Yea, I remember reading that they actually had real historians working on the show. It was pretty cool; It was like Cartoon Network had it's own documentary show for cartoons. Too bad they don't do stuff like that anymore.

Dr.Pepper

From 1994-2013 there was a show that Cartoon Network aired called Toonheads. What ever happened to it?
To 2013 huh?:p All jokes aside, it was a nice little show. I think that I still have the lost cartoons one taped on a video somewhere.

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
I'm not sure if people were/are aware, but I think that "Toon Heads" had been around since Day 1 of Cartoon Network (October 1, 1992), as it was mentioned in the earliest press releases for the then-new network.
Considering it was also mentioned on "Droopy's Guide To The Cartoon Network" special (the first hour of Cartoon Network also simulcasted on TBS and TNT), it's a safe bet it was on in at least the first week of Cartoon Network back in October 1992.

chdr

Considering it was also mentioned on "Droopy's Guide To The Cartoon Network" special (the first hour of Cartoon Network also simulcasted on TBS and TNT), it's a safe bet it was on in at least the first week of Cartoon Network back in October 1992.
Hmm, I didn't know CN had an opening special. Any other details?

Ace Goodheart

Strong, Digilent, Fearless
Jeff, did you really record that? If so.......PLEASE upload it to YouTube!!!

It's VERY difficult to come across any pre-1995 CN footage over the 'net, seeing as so few people had CN during those early, formative years. I did, but of course I was too young and didn't think ahead 10-15 years to record it. :D

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
I remember Toon heads, it was pretty good, I also remember being sad when they cancled it.......darn now im sad about a show thats been of the air for 6 years! but seriously CN should start putting more of their old shows like this on boomerang! They should just make boomerang what CN was from 1993-2003 ! That way I would'nt have to spend hours watching old CN & Toonami promos online to satisfy my needs!:sweat: :p :sweat:

Green Thunder

The new execs mess up everything for great fan's of any good show because they feel it's right for bussiness.

Jeff Harris

Creator/Webmaster, TXB
Hmm, I didn't know CN had an opening special. Any other details?
They aired a handful of cartoons, including Rhapsody Rabbit, a segment on catch phrases, a "Know Your Toons" segment about The Flintstones and The Jetsons hour, a "Morning Crew" video (The Morning Crew was this psuedo morning radio show-like showcase on weekday mornings), King Sized Canary, a "Know Your Toons" segment about Daffy Duck for Bugs and Daffy Tonight, The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, a "Know Your Toons" segment on Droopy for Down Wit' Droopy D, Wild and Wolfy, and a guide about how to use the Cartoon Network, including showcasing the shows like Toon Heads and Boomerang, and a credit crawl that was pretty humorous, stretching and expanding, slowing down, speeding up, and with descriptors like Best Boy, Better Boy, Bad Boys, The Rod (Betty Cohen), The Staff (everybody else), Things We Forgot To Mention (including Walt Disney), and Things We Wish We Could Forget (including Algebra and "potatoe"). Pretty good special.

Jeff, did you really record that? If so.......PLEASE upload it to YouTube!!!
I would if I didn't have dial-up. Feh.

It's VERY difficult to come across any pre-1995 CN footage over the 'net, seeing as so few people had CN during those early, formative years. I did, but of course I was too young and didn't think ahead 10-15 years to record it. :D
The thing is, I missed the very beginning of it (I had caught the tail end of Rhapsody Rabbit, the very first cartoon that aired on the network). In fact, they didn't even advertise it (remember, this was a pre-mainstream internet world with no Zap2It, Toon Zone, or real online divisions, let alone no advanced menus showing what's on next; plus, they were still on Turner Time, meaning everything aired five minutes on the half-hour). I'm just glad the tape survived over the years and I could burn it on DVD.

Master Toon

I thought it was just a block and they just got rid of it when the Cartoon Cartoons took over.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts