"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Uzamaki is delayed again. I hope that Discovery unpauses Toonami's acquisitions if the originals get delayed like this. At least the other originals have aired in a timely manner and I expect Housing Complex C to be ready sometime soon. Should Konosuba and To Your Eternity fans be nervous about Drive's handling of Uzamaki?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Genuinely curious. How many delays Uzumaki has got?

At least two. It was originally going to be 2021, then it got delayed to this year, now it looks like 2023. It's practically the New Mutants of anime. I hear they're using rotoscoping or some really time consuming technique.

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
Since DeMarco has stated that they will be airing a lot of older anime, I have one title that would be a pretty interesting addition to the lineup:
Watch Sonic X Streaming Online | Hulu (Free Trial)

Toonami seems to have a good relationship with TMS, so maybe this could happen.
Perhaps a new uncut dub?

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
No way in hell.
I see your point, but it isn't impossible.
True, it may be a bit kiddy for Toonami, so maybe DeMarco could ask Cartoon Network if they wanted to air it. Maybe in a daytime Toonami block with anime aimed at the younger crowd.
Plus, TMS already have a good relationship with the Toonami crew. After all, they are airing the new Lupin III series right now.
Plus, a lot of the kids who grew up with this show are now adults. Gen Z nostalgia is in, so maybe Toonami can capitalize on that with this.
Is it crazy? A bit. Is it possible? Yes, definitely.

Conttactt

I see your point, but it isn't impossible.
True, it may be a bit kiddy for Toonami, so maybe DeMarco could ask Cartoon Network if they wanted to air it. Maybe in a daytime Toonami block with anime aimed at the younger crowd.
Plus, TMS already have a good relationship with the Toonami crew. After all, they are airing the new Lupin III series right now.
Plus, a lot of the kids who grew up with this show are now adults. Gen Z nostalgia is in, so maybe Toonami can capitalize on that with this.
Is it crazy? A bit. Is it possible? Yes, definitely.
It really isn’t possible. Cartoon Network has 0 interest in anime of any form. If by some bizzare miracle they did, their block would have to be something like Miguzi, not tied to AS in any way.
It would also never work on Toonami. We have seen in the past that nostalgia pandering does not bring in viewership. And we are talking here about a show that by all metrics is for children. People already complain the current diet of shonen content leans too far into children territory. They cancelled Boruto by their own admission that it was too childish. It’s certainly no Naruto, but it did have occasional bits of edge. So if that wasn’t good enough, this sure as hell isn’t.

Uzamaki is delayed again.
I say this as someone who was genuinely hyped when it was announced. Just cancel the project at this point. It’s 4 god damn episodes long, there is absolutely zero wind left in its sails after this many delays.
I don’t think fans of other shows have to worry, because Demarco isn’t in charge of them. From what he has said in the past on Uzumaki, he just lets the staff work at their leisure. Which surprise, means they never actually work on it.

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
It really isn’t possible. Cartoon Network has 0 interest in anime of any form. If by some bizzare miracle they did, their block would have to be something like Miguzi, not tied to AS in any way.
It would also never work on Toonami. We have seen in the past that nostalgia pandering does not bring in viewership. And we are talking here about a show that by all metrics is for children. People already complain the current diet of shonen content leans too far into children territory. They cancelled Boruto by their own admission that it was too childish. It’s certainly no Naruto, but it did have occasional bits of edge. So if that wasn’t good enough, this sure as hell isn’t.
There's always a second chance, though. Sonic X, by all accounts, is more popular than Boruto.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Whenever Discovery gives Toonami permission to get new shows again, it's probably going to be a Sentai or Discotek title.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So Sonic X is possible.

Yes, Sonic X is a Discotek show, but it's highly improbable to air on an adult block, even with nostalgia on its side. It's probably going to be something closer to Made in Abyss in terms of intensity. Considering how huge Discotek and Sentai's libraries are, it's going to be very difficult to guess the new show. During the beginning of the year, Assassination Classroom season 2 was the only commonly predicted show that aired and it seemed like nobody predicted Made in Abyss and One Piece. Not a safe time to participate in Toonami acquisition betting pool as all those people predicting Yashahime season 2 in January lost hard.

Zorak Masaki

If they air older anime, they should at least get stuff that still has a somewhat big following, or could survive via nostalgia, but I cant think of any shows that they could get which would qualify for that.

RunoMisaki573

Well, Toonami already got Shenmue as a SEGA-TMS show on the block. Maybe Virtua Fighter would be another good choice, and if Toonami picked it up I could see TMS producing English dubs for the last 11 episodes since they never got dubbed back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
If they air older anime, they should at least get stuff that still has a somewhat big following, or could survive via nostalgia, but I cant think of any shows that they could get which would qualify for that.

I don't know if obscure older stuff would do that bad as I'm kinda rooting for the lesser known titles, or at the very least, stuff that's never aired on a cable network before. Demarco seemed open to that when someone suggested Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Genuinely curious. How many delays Uzumaki has got?
Three times so far:
- Originally announced in August 2019, scheduled for a 2020 release. Shortly after the Covid lockdown began in March 2020, Demarco reassured it was still on track for 2020. In July 2020, on-air during Toonami, it was announced that it would be delayed to 2021.
- In June 2021, the director (Hiroshi Nagahama) stated in a teaser video that the pandemic had forced them to restart production from scratch. Now delayed until October 2022.
- Statement from the production team drops in June 2022, now delayed until an undetermined date (presumably 2023).

Conttactt

I don't know if obscure older stuff would do that bad as I'm kinda rooting for the lesser known titles, or at the very least, stuff that's never aired on a cable network before. Demarco seemed open to that when someone suggested Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
IMO anything older than the mid 00s is really going to struggle purely due to dated looks. Unless they changed their personal rules, they won’t even consider a show that hasn’t had an HD remaster if it’s from pre HD age.

Since apparently Sentai is still on the table, here is a skimming of the Hidive catalog I think would work for the block
Armed Girls Machivelinsm
Assassins Pride
BTOOOM!
Brynhildr in the Darkness
Chaika the Coffin Princess
Chivalry of a Failed Knight
Demon King Daimao
Dream Eater Mary
Danmachi + Sword Oratoria spinoff
Gatchaman Crowds
Gate
Grimoire of Zero
Highschool of the Dead (I THINK it’s clean enough for S&P to not have to work overtime)
Infinite Stratos
Kampfer
Kokkokou
Magical Warfare
No Game No Life
Outbreak Company
Princess Principal (Sentai has stated in the past they wanted this on Toonami at a time)
Problem Children
Release the Spyce
School Live! (Would be a great pickup for the fall)
Trinity Seven
When Supernatural Powers become Commonplace (often forgotten Trigger project)
Yuki Yuna is a Hero

Age of these shows varies between 2 year to 10 years, but all of these hold a common theme, they are all primarily action titles. If Demarco wants to circle back to that commitment to branch out to different genres, we could probably pad this out another 10 shows at least.

My main point here is, if Demarco puts in a little wrench time when (if I should say) WBD unfreezes the budget, there’s plenty of fresh blood to pull from the Sentai catalog. We don’t have to look 30 years in the past or rehash stuff like Sailor Moon. If they want people to get energized for the block again, they are gonna have to get some new titles on their lineup promos that spark people’s interest

RunoMisaki573

Other than Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 and Cybersix, I would definitely like Tokyo Mew Mew New to be on Toonami. I'm quite surprised that Sentai Studios will be licensing the series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conttactt

Adding another title to this list: Ushio & Tora. It's a 39 episode fantasy series and based on a classic shonen manga, but not one that's well known in the west.
Fair enough, I have actually avoided watching that show for damn near a decade, because I always saw Toonami fans suggesting it for the block and I didn’t want to watch something I thought was on trajectory for a Toonami run. Never happened though, but how would be a good time.

Mentioning Sentai and my own bias would be Girls Last Tour airing on the block
When I suggested other genres, that’s one of the first shows on that list. I can picture it as something that might have ran late night on ASA. While I would like to see it, I believe it would have to be something tucked later in the night as I can already foresee the complaints that it’s boring since there isn’t a shonen powerup every few minutes.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts