"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
ONE PIECE IS BACK STARTING THIS SATURDAY

Starting from episode 517, the start of the post-timeskip half of the series.
Aw dang it you beat me to it but more importantly the straw hats are back! And speaking of One Piece I know they have more than one thousand episodes in the anime currently in the Wano Arc.

RunoMisaki573

I was expecting Fena, Dr.Stone and Dragon Ball Super to all return this weekend to resume their (incomplete) reruns, but oh well. There goes my Pirate Princess.

I hope the Gum-Gum Rap comes back to One Piece in some form, because I'm not fond of the random Japanese songs that start the show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well that's a nice surprise. I definitely wasn't expecting One Piece to come back to the block. Since it was too expensive for them to keep it around before, I wonder what changed. The only real downsize is that this does lock up another slot for the foreseeable future, but since the only long running series are One Piece and Shippuden, it isn't too much of an issue since they still have more timeslots to work with.

I'm sure that this is nice for a lot of the One Piece fans out there. Admittedly, my interest in the series has become more minimal over time given the huge length of both the manga and the anime. It is a good series and it has some really powerful moments, but I think being a more casual fan at best just makes me less excited. I'll still check it out though.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
I'm honestly surprised they opted to give OP a second chance after it seemed like the first didn't quite turn as well.

I last watched it when it was last on Toonami, so, I'll likely be very confused about the story unless I willingly read up somewhere. (Not likely) I'll likely watch it anyway and enjoy.

With two of those and two Shippudens for this coming week, it seems like we're down to a couple more changes, even if one of them happens to be another series continuing. Not sure if they'd test out continue doing double Shippuden in the least. I can see them returning Dragon Ball Super to the 3:00am slot unless they use it to end again, though I'd be casually curious the retention between that and Bebop. They may even throw a curve and bring back DBZ Kai from the start of "Final Chapters".

If OP returning is a surprise, which yes, greatly is, makes me wonder if I'm right and there could be at least 1 more premier if not two, if they could be more surprising than OP.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
I'll probably do a cliff notes write-up of the arcs being skipped and post it in the talkback on Saturday.

I will say that the time skip works as a soft reboot, in that it reintroduces all the main characters. So as long as you go in knowing that "the Straw Hats parted ways for two years, did a lot of off-screen training, and are now getting back together", there's not really any continuity pitfalls for a while.

Edit: Shenmue arrives February 5th at 12:30am!

My guess remains that Attack on Titan will take the midnight slot.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Third time (yes, I'm counting the original Toonami run) is the charm?

I'm happy for fans, but for people who only watch the show via Toonami, following it must be difficult. I can't say I'll watch, since I'm caught up with the current dub, but I hope ratings are good this time.

EDIT: Shenmue premieres on Toonami on February 6

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wow, did not expect One Piece to return. And wow, Shenmue debuting a lot sooner than I thought. So that leaves one more new show (for the 29th) left to be revealed.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
So we went from asking for scraps to getting all these bombs in just a couple weeks, wow!

One Piece is the biggest shocker to me. I really thought the show was done after they didn't bring it back. Will be interesting to see how this fares because people who haven't kept up with the show will be confused. In a perfect world, this would be airing 5 days a week in the afternoon, but we'll take it. Maybe they can ask Funimation to create a special episode that's like a recap episode like they did with Dragonball GT(I kid, I know this is not going to happen). I actually have been watching the show on Crunchyroll and I'm currently in the Alabasta arc, but I'll still watch this.

And wow, I wasn't expecting Shenmue to be ready so quickly! I was thinking this might have been a summer show, but sure, I'll take it.

Nobodyman

ONE PIECE IS BACK STARTING THIS SATURDAY

Starting from episode 517, the start of the post-timeskip half of the series.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......Uh, yeah, I'm excited. Real nice of the Toonami crew to give One Piece another chance (though I guess it's not like Toonami's ratings could get any lower). Kinda sucks that we're skipping over Sabaody, Impel Down, and Paramount War and that it's on so late, but I guess that's to be expected (and hey, double episodes).

As for Shenmue, eh, still have never played any of the games, but I guess I'll give it a shot.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Well, now that only a smidge over 200K people are watching Toonami, do they have anything to lose now? I guess that's why One PIece is back. I guess we are skipping quite a few arcs to get to the newcomer friendly post timeskip. Again, we are still way behind where the dub is streaming and most of the Toonami lineup is filled with stuff from years ago, albeit highly beloved shows. That Shemue trailer looks really good, but then again, so did Fena's trailer. Wondering if this has any hope of being a major hit as Toonami has struck gold exactly once with an original and that was Samurai Jack season 5. Anyway, if they can have a hit once, it's still possible to happen again. I'm wondering if this will be the first Toonami/Crunchyroll collaboration you can find on the Popular Shows section of Crunchyroll without having to scroll way down the page (as with Fena and Black Lotus).

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
HELL YES! Their desperation is my gain!

I hope the timeskip isn't too confusing. I always meant to pick up where Toonami left off but I just never got around to it. Too many shows!
I wouldn't think the time skip would be too bad in terms of confusion, as the basic set-up for it is that
something happened that caused the Straw Hats to be separated for two years, with the first episode taking place on the day where they're supposed to reunite at the place where the incident took place.

Light Lucario

Staff member
DeMarco also mentioned that they had many shows lined up, including Demon Slayer season two, and they aren't sure that they can get any of them:

It still isn't impossible for them to get Demon Slayer season two, but it might be more unlikely given this statement. I wonder what other shows they had planned.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts