"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
My guess is that they don't really make money off of it. They don't own the shows and they have to go through a third party to license it. Short of them doing dubbing themselves, they might as well invest in original shows.

So in essence, the reason cable as a whole abandoned anime.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
So in essence, the reason cable as a whole abandoned anime.

That's the one advantage streaming services like Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc. have. Because they need lots of content to justify people signing up for their services, they can invest in getting original anime series in addition to licensing them. That's probably also why Toonami is investing in original anime series now, so if the shows take off, they get a cut of the revenue pie.

Switching topics, boy we're getting a lot of Demon Slayer: Mugen Train commercials. I know the movie is getting released in North America this Friday, but I hope we'll get this on Toonami. Long shot, but let me hope.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, to each their own, Light. Personally I can see My Hero Academia still air on Cartoon Network proper. You’re right about season 1 airing with minimal edits. Season 2 and up honestly depends. As far as Stain is concern, I feel as though CN would definitely leave it in as is, but I’m not sure. Another example of edits that’ll need to be in Season 3 with All Might vs All for One. The scene’s where All Might’s arm is gushing out blood, the blood could reduced. In General, I feel like My Hero Academia could be edited the way OG Naruto back in the day, where they left in blood, albeit reduced/Sometimes removed and the fights left uncut.

In terms of Boruto and Black Clover, Boruto’s Violence is also on the level of OG Naruto so it’ll be near Uncut. With Black Clover, they’ll just tone down the violence a little. The show is TV-PG anyway so I think it’ll fit perfectly with CN’s Lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be shocked if any channel aimed at children left Stain as he is. Reducing the blood could be possible, but I feel like that would only work to a degree. Plus, current Cartoon Network is much different from the Cartoon Network that aired Naruto right after Miguzi. If they weren't willing to keep Pokemon after airing it for over a decade, they wouldn't be interested in a popular series like My Hero Academia. Not to mention I'm not sure how many fans would be that interested in slightly edited versions of anime airing on TV. It would still potentially attract more fans, but it seems like such an outdated concept when uncut dubs are easily accessible online now. It's so typical for people to have Hulu or Netflix accounts, which makes it easier for anime to be aired with little to no edits. TV deals are still helpful, but they aren't the only ways for an anime title to be a noteworthy success either.

I still wonder why teen channels are disinterested in anime. CW, Freeform, and Teennick could be places anime could go, and the latter aired anime influenced Korra. CW's streaming app had that The Ray cartoon. I would think there is an overlap in CW superhero shows and anime and Supernatural even had an anime adaptation.
Freeform hasn't been interested in animation for decades. They air Disney movies and some animated Christmas specials, but that's about it. They're much more interested in appealing to young adults than anime fans. I still miss the Jetix days, but the channel has clearly seen more success since then. Teennick has been on auto pilot for decades as well and is basically just another rerun channel, which is also an outdated concept in the age of streaming. If any of those channels wanted to explore animated properties, they would choose to go for an original series instead of airing dubbed anime, if only so that they can get more money out of them.

tykroma94

I'd be shocked if any channel aimed at children left Stain as he is. Reducing the blood could be possible, but I feel like that would only work to a degree. Plus, current Cartoon Network is much different from the Cartoon Network that aired Naruto right after Miguzi. If they weren't willing to keep Pokemon after airing it for over a decade, they wouldn't be interested in a popular series like My Hero Academia. Not to mention I'm not sure how many fans would be that interested in slightly edited versions of anime airing on TV. It would still potentially attract more fans, but it seems like such an outdated concept when uncut dubs are easily accessible online now. It's so typical for people to have Hulu or Netflix accounts, which makes it easier for anime to be aired with little to no edits. TV deals are still helpful, but they aren't the only ways for an anime title to be a noteworthy success either.

tykroma94

Freeform hasn't been interested in animation for decades. They air Disney movies and some animated Christmas specials, but that's about it. They're much more interested in appealing to young adults than anime fans. I still miss the Jetix days, but the channel has clearly seen more success since then. Teennick has been on auto pilot for decades as well and is basically just another rerun channel, which is also an outdated concept in the age of streaming. If any of those channels wanted to explore animated properties, they would choose to go for an original series instead of airing dubbed anime, if only so that they can get more money out of them.

Yeah, at this point in time, edited dubs are pretty much nonexistent now when we have uncut dubs and the fact we have said uncut dubs on Streaming already to attract new viewers. If it wasn’t for Streaming, My Hero Academia wouldn’t be the success it is now. I think we’re at the phase where Streaming is the only place left to watch dubbed Anime if Toonami dies off by the next few years.

Vampire_King

Banned
Yeah, at this point in time, edited dubs are pretty much nonexistent now when we have uncut dubs and the fact we have said uncut dubs on Streaming already to attract new viewers. If it wasn’t for Streaming, My Hero Academia wouldn’t be the success it is now. I think we’re at the phase where Streaming is the only place left to watch dubbed Anime if Toonami dies off by the next few years.

at the same time though I'm not sure if We'll ever see another DBZ Like Hit where even a casual audience becomes aware of it Not to take anything away from MHA I Enjoy it

but the more streaming services there are the harder it is for any one show to really gain massive mainstream appeal

I was so happy to see the Mugen Train theaterical commercial tonight.
I Think there are many people who might still be a bit iffy on going to theaters right now....however Aniplex being aniplex means they'll overcharge for the home video release

Light Lucario

Staff member
at the same time though I'm not sure if We'll ever see another DBZ Like Hit where even a casual audience becomes aware of it Not to take anything away from MHA I Enjoy it

but the more streaming services there are the harder it is for any one show to really gain massive mainstream appeal
To be fair, Naruto during its peak of popularity was probably the closest to a DBZ level hit in terms of being a noteworthy success that even the casual audience were still aware of it, but it still wasn't as huge as DBZ was. More shows getting onto streaming platforms might make it harder to get that same huge levels of popularity, but getting another DBZ hit is like trying to capture lightning in a bottle again. It would have been difficult at best to do even without streaming services becoming so prominent.

Vampire_King

Banned
To be fair, Naruto during its peak of popularity was probably the closest to a DBZ level hit in terms of being a noteworthy success that even the casual audience were still aware of it, but it still wasn't as huge as DBZ was. More shows getting onto streaming platforms might make it harder to get that same huge levels of popularity, but getting another DBZ hit is like trying to capture lightning in a bottle again. It would have been difficult at best to do even without streaming services becoming so prominent.

i understand it's just me being disappointed that even with streaming services we're still at that point where Mentioning DBZ At Least gets a response from a casual audience while everything else gets cricket chirps

that includes mha demon slayer and attack on titan

depending on where you are...people that also like anime maybe more common or uncommon

but for me the internet is it for me...outside that I Don't really have many people to discuss this stuff with

if i even attempted to talk about it I'd be looked like I'm some kind of crazy person so i don't even bother knowing most people don't care and it would only end up annoying them anyways

Light Lucario

Staff member
i understand it's just me being disappointed that even with streaming services we're still at that point where Mentioning DBZ At Least gets a response from a casual audience while everything else gets cricket chirps

depending on where you are...people that also like anime maybe more common or uncommon

but for me the internet is it for me...outside that I Don't really have many people to discuss this stuff with

if i even attempted to talk about it I'd be looked like I'm some kind of crazy person so i don't even bother knowing most people don't care and it would only end up annoying them anyways
I don't know about Demon Slayer, but My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan seem fairly well known at least. Both series were popular before they started airing on Toonami. Whenever I go to GameStop, their anime merchandise is usually based on DBZ, Naruto and My Hero Academia. I think that the first My Hero Academia movie was one of the most successful Funimation movie before the Broly movie came out.

It probably does depend on the area and I can empathize not having many people to discuss anime with. That is rough and feeling like you're just going to annoy people talking about something you like is quite upsetting to say the least. Those three series aren't DBZ levels of hits with the general public, but there might be more people around you who have at least heard of them.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member

Like Light Lucario said, anime shows reaching the point where casuals can recognize the title and are familiar with it only happens once in a while. The shows that have done this are Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Naruto and a couple others here and there.

Also these shows came at a time when social media wasn't around, no streaming services and you only had TV to work with. Do I think another anime series could reach that today? Sure, anything is possible. It'll be harder now, but not impossible.

tykroma94

I Think there are many people who might still be a bit iffy on going to theaters right now....however Aniplex being aniplex means they'll overcharge for the home video release

Yea with Streaming services nowadays we don’t even know when the next DBZ level hit is gonna come. With MHA, I feel as though it has gain a lot of traction with the casuals and the fact that Megan thee Stallion is in love with that show so I feel it could be DBZ level popularity.

Like Light Lucario said, anime shows reaching the point where casuals can recognize the title and are familiar with it only happens once in a while. The shows that have done this are Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Naruto and a couple others here and there.

Also these shows came at a time when social media wasn't around, no streaming services and you only had TV to work with. Do I think another anime series could reach that today? Sure, anything is possible. It'll be harder now, but not impossible.

I have to agree with this, Space Cadet. Anime shows hitting mainstream appeal only happens every couple of years tbh. But with Streaming services we never know which anime is gonna become the mainstream hit but only time will tell. Tbh I feel like as though Jujutsu Kaisen could be next mainstream hit considering how popular it was while it was airing but I could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vampire_King

Banned
I don't know about Demon Slayer, but My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan seem fairly well known at least. Both series were popular before they started airing on Toonami. Whenever I go to GameStop, their anime merchandise is usually based on DBZ, Naruto and My Hero Academia. I think that the first My Hero Academia movie was one of the most successful Funimation movie before the Broly movie came out.

It probably does depend on the area and I can empathize not having many people to discuss anime with. That is rough and feeling like you're just going to annoy people talking about something you like is quite upsetting to say the least. Those three series aren't DBZ levels of hits with the general public, but there might be more people around you who have at least heard of them.

it is rough honestly I live in a rather small town which makes my problem even worse so the chances of anyone around here knowing what anime/manga even is seems very unlikely

I Discuss it with my mother since we do watch toonami together every saturday and she is into it but she's just one person

there's also a neighbor of ours who invited me to a convention back in 2019 and I Can always find something he thinks is cool(Like My Junji Ito Art Book Twisted Visions so much so that he took a picture of the cover with his phone)He's into similar stuff which helps

alas he also has another house with this one acting as a secondary home so most of the time he isn't even here

I'm rambling now...but you get the point my town for the most part probably doesn't even know what my hero academia is or any other anime/manga

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Since graduating college, it's been hard because college anime clubs are a godsend. A Zoomer coworker of mine is a casual anime fan who only watches Attack on Titan and "old stuff" like Naruto and One Piece. Felt upset about that comment because if those series are old, what does that make me? 2005 feels like yesterday to me. I guess anime ages faster than people because 15 year olds are still kids yet 15 year old shows are "old." He knew about MHA, but refuses to watch because of its toxic fanbase. Another coworker wears a Killua button on his uniform, but anime fans are the small minority of my coworkers. Of course, I live within a 2.5 hour drive of Funimation headquarters, so that makes a difference. Still most of my discussion of anime is online and at the local cons. I figure all 50 states probably have at least one con. Anime is a small niche community and that's why I'm grateful for cons.

Vampire_King

Banned
Since graduating college, it's been hard because college anime clubs are a godsend. A Zoomer coworker of mine is a casual anime fan who only watches Attack on Titan and "old stuff" like Naruto and One Piece. Felt upset about that comment because if those series are old, what does that make me? 2005 feels like yesterday to me. I guess anime ages faster than people because 15 year olds are still kids yet 15 year old shows are "old." He knew about MHA, but refuses to watch because of its toxic fanbase. Another coworker wears a Killua button on his uniform, but anime fans are the small minority of my coworkers. Of course, I live within a 2.5 hour drive of Funimation headquarters, so that makes a difference. Still most of my discussion of anime is online and at the local cons. I figure all 50 states probably have at least one con. Anime is a small niche community and that's why I'm grateful for cons.

refusing to watch an anime because of it's fanbase is really stupid....because you could find a bunch of toxic lunatics watching any anime and then try to use that as justification for not watching it

no fanbase has zero toxicity because it's a fanbase it's not something you gate keep

if a toxic person enjoys a certain show then they are in the fanbase nothing you can do about that

i wish more people understood that instead of acting like a fanbase can be corrupt

RunoMisaki573

With streaming overtaking cable at one point, I have a feeling Toonami will end its adult swim run by 2023. I wouldn't be surprised if Naruto Shippuden would be the only Toonami show left on adult swim and would air on times where Toonami used to be.

harry580

With streaming overtaking cable at one point, I have a feeling Toonami will end its adult swim run by 2023. I wouldn't be surprised if Naruto Shippuden would be the only Toonami show left on adult swim and would air on times where Toonami used to be.
well, look like Warner Bros has failed toonami, I wish Warner Bros could buy a anime studio like universal bought geneon Entertainment which was a anime studio so they can provide content on toonami

Light Lucario

Staff member
well, look like Warner Bros has failed toonami, I wish Warner Bros could buy a anime studio like universal bought geneon Entertainment which was a anime studio so they can provide content on toonami
I wouldn't say that WB has failed Toonami exactly. It's more like the cable landscape has changed drastically and streaming anime has become much more commonplace as well. Adult Swim couldn't really change that and I don't think Toonami would be a big priority for WB either. They don't need to own an anime licensor or studio to provide content on Toonami. The fact that they have multiple original series in the works shows that they can make shows without having to do that.

Plus, I don't think Universal buying Geneon Entertainment really led to anything major. I remember more about how fans were upset over Geneon being shut down more than anything else about the company.

harry580

I wouldn't say that WB has failed Toonami exactly. It's more like the cable landscape has changed drastically and streaming anime has become much more commonplace as well. Adult Swim couldn't really change that and I don't think Toonami would be a big priority for WB either. They don't need to own an anime licensor or studio to provide content on Toonami. The fact that they have multiple original series in the works shows that they can make shows without having to do that.
I still wish sony would instead bought a upstart anime streaming service instead of buying crunchyroll, now they in doj, I don't if sony could block the merger or not
Plus, I don't think Universal buying Geneon Entertainment really led to anything major. I remember more about how fans were upset over Geneon being shut down more than anything else about the company.
well for the people upset about geneon closing, that for the American geneon, the Japan geneon was acquired by universal and rebrand it to geneon universal and in 2013 for some reason, it got rebranded as nbcuniversal Japan

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts