"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
In October 2019, he said, "It's taking a break for now. It will be back at some point I'm sure."

By 2020, his tune changed. When asked in March 2020, he said, "I won't say it will never come back but there are no plans to bring back at the present."

Some were affected but I think for the most part, BC never really took a hiatus this year until now. There was only like brief 1 or 2 week breaks in July and August I believe.
Alright, I guess I remembered their first comment on Boruto differently. That, or I took their removal of the show at any point to simply stem from lack of interest. For whatever reason, I never really expected it to come back, and my gut instinct was right.

As for Black Clover, alright. I could've sworn I read that the series was going to pause its animation for COVID, but I guess that never happened. I don't totally understand why it's sticking to the classic weekly format instead of cutting into seasons like other recent series do, but if it works, it works.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Interesting tidbit I read on Reddit. It seems Demarco did try to get Konosuba and Shield Hero, but they were way too expensive. Crunchyroll apparently charges an arm and a leg. I guess that's why we're stuck with Gemusetto Ratings Pit instead. Shame we couldn't get Re:Zero as season 2 is my personal vote for anime of the year in pretty dismal year. On the other hand, it's good we aren't getting most of the Crunchyroll originals because most of them are pretty awful. We are most likely spared from Ex Arm getting on Toonami and I wonder what kind of reaction everyone would get if this kind of show were to air:

Reactions: RDG

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That looks awful. There's no way that was finished animation. What studio worked on that?

I'd still defend Tower of God, God of High School, and In/Spectre when it comes to the Crunchyroll Originals.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Wow, that trailer was hilariously bad. It's like a third-rate gen:LOCK.
And what is that Tony Hawk-like music? Is that for real?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
hat looks awful. There's no way that was finished animation. What studio worked on that?

Visual Flight, Visual Flight - Anime News Network, which is the first anime they've ever worked on. Based on what I've seen, this may be their last too. God of High School was blessed with amazing animation from MAPPA and is probably the visually best series. Good thing Toonami is teaming up with well respected studios like Production IG.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was more thrown off by the music. It sounded so much like a light rock song from the early 2000's instead of something from a modern anime. The animation and character designs were pretty off putting though.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Just announced on the Toonami Pre-Flight panel:

5d0b753ce1a7b-210x300.jpg

SSSS Gridman
Coming January 2021

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Been a really long time since a non Gundam mecha aired. Watched it on Funimation and it's lots of fun. Like Assassination Classroom, you can stream it for free so you can watch it right now if you don't want to wait. I guess it will replace Gemessetto or SAO?

Vampire_King

Banned
Been a really long time since a non Gundam mecha aired. Watched it on Funimation and it's lots of fun. Like Assassination Classroom, you can stream it for free so you can watch it right now if you don't want to wait. I guess it will replace Gemessetto or SAO?
It'll probably replace SAO since Gemusetto's replacement will be the return of black clover(no doubt)

unless funimation just doesn't have enough dubbed episodes by january for toonami to bring it back

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Huh, apparently this was the final Toonami Pre-Flight.

Considering the news that broke earlier about how a ton of Adult Swim employees involved with the streaming shows just got laid off, I guess that makes sense.

Frontier

Staff member
Just announced on the Toonami Pre-Flight panel:

5d0b753ce1a7b-210x300.jpg

SSSS Gridman
Coming January 2021
That's awesome! I think Gridman is a great choice for Toonami and I'm glad to see it getting more love :).

I wonder if more people who grew up with Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad will get to watch it now :p?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I wonder if more people who grew up with Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad will get to watch it now :p?

I was only three in '94, so not really for me.

Demarco also mentioned his favorite anime that hasn't aired on Toonami and it's Fist of the North Star. always wondered if they ever considered airing it in the ASA days. Showtime Beyond apparently beat them to it. It is possible if it aired on ASA that it could have had a surge of popularity enough for the dub to continue beyond 36 episodes. It is really rare for older anime to have redubs, especially long runners, and Gundam Seed and Escaflowne's redubs probably only happened because they were short. Even without a redub, Fist of the North Star is interesting in that it seems to still get new fans because of video game adaptations. Now that I think about it, the most notable long running old anime with a new dub is the Netflix Saint Seiya redub. That reminds me, weird that Saint Seiya's old Knights of the Zodiac dub did not air on Toonami itself despite being a Shonen Jump property and therefore up its alley.

Frontier

Staff member
I was only three in '94, so not really for me.

Demarco also mentioned his favorite anime that hasn't aired on Toonami and it's Fist of the North Star. always wondered if they ever considered airing it in the ASA days. Showtime Beyond apparently beat them to it. It is possible if it aired on ASA that it could have had a surge of popularity enough for the dub to continue beyond 36 episodes. It is really rare for older anime to have redubs, especially long runners, and Gundam Seed and Escaflowne's redubs probably only happened because they were short. Even without a redub, Fist of the North Star is interesting in that it seems to still get new fans because of video game adaptations. Now that I think about it, the most notable long running old anime with a new dub is the Netflix Saint Seiya redub. That reminds me, weird that Saint Seiya's old Knights of the Zodiac dub did not air on Toonami itself despite being a Shonen Jump property and therefore up its alley.
I think the "official" reasoning for the Seed and Escaflowne redubs were that the remastered footage they were using didn't match with the original dubs.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts