"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure will be going on hiatus effective immediately. Ballmastrz: 9009 will be airing in its place starting Saturday.

This does line up with what I saw a few days ago, when one of the voice actors said on Twitter that last Saturday's JoJo was recorded remotely.

Reactions: RDG

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Well... many are getting their wish based on the image used for BM9009... Sailor Moon is finally coming back to Toonami! heh-heh??

1591227593367.png

Interesting choice to replace Jojo rather than rerun episodes from an earlier point. I can't imagine how that'd affect the budget any depending on how long the agreement was to run it.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Well... many are getting their wish based on the image used for BM9009... Sailor Moon is finally coming back to Toonami! heh-heh??

View attachment 282251

Interesting choice to replace Jojo rather than rerun episodes from an earlier point. I can't imagine how that'd affect the budget any depending on how long the agreement was to run it.

Jason DeMarco explained the decision on Twitter. Basically, this was a last minute decision. And he asks Toonami fans to give BM9009 a chance:

They'll also look into older anime if this keeps up.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well that is rough for Jojo fans. I thought that there was a decent chance that they had been able to finish the dub before the virus put a hold on recordings. At least they are working on the dub remotely. It might take awhile to finish up depending on how many episodes are left, but at least they should be able to finish up the season eventually for fans.

Ballmastrz: 9009 doesn't look or sound particularly interesting to me, but I'm also not really into Adult Swim's shows in general. I don't blame them for the decision since this was such a last minute change and their options are rather limited. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them little to nothing to air the series. I don't think I'll give it a watch, especially when it's still at 2AM, but I do like the notion of Toonami airing older anime. They might have to when more delays are going to happen, but it might help to give a chance for older titles to get new fans. It would also help in making their schedule more consistent since every show would be completely dubbed.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
We're almost at 2008 level Toonami in terms of what little new content we have and it gets worse and worse. Ballmasterz already reruns on regular Adult Swim. I don't know if this is actually better than Bebop reruns. Demarco basically said that Bebop and GITS reruns would only come in a time of extreme desperation. Considering we know that there are five weeks until Black Clover also runs out of episodes, at least they have time to prepare. Sounds like they might actually air overlooked 2010s anime they passed up the first time (Future Diary, Made in Abyss, Psycho Pass, Steins;Gate?). I feel like Uzamaki is going to make or break Toonami as this is even worst lineup in nu Toonami history. Maybe Tower of God replacing MHA could also bring energy to the block, but it feels like anime on Adult Swim is gonna be the rerun farm it was in its dark ages.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I guess that's the backfire of having anime that is airing , that is dubbed only closely to air time, instead of the complete or enough complete before airing. Of course, this was freak scenario, but still something else could have caused that if this wasn't it. It would be nice if they could pitch out some already finished dubbed series that haven't aired on TV to fill the gaps, like the Slime anime , Girls' Last Tour, Made in Abyss,( I would love if Iruma Kun was in there) or something. Maybe make some agreements with some distributors in exchange for the shows on pause or dripping in on the dubs.

I'm surprised they don't rerun some JoJo episodes until they are able to have new ones, unless there's some reason they can't?

CNC

I guess that's the backfire of having anime that is airing , that is dubbed only closely to air time, instead of the complete or enough complete before airing. Of course, this was freak scenario, but still something else could have caused that if this wasn't it. It would be nice if they could pitch out some already finished dubbed series that haven't aired on TV to fill the gaps, like the Slime anime , Girls' Last Tour, Made in Abyss,( I would love if Iruma Kun was in there) or something. Maybe make some agreements with some distributors in exchange for the shows on pause or dripping in on the dubs.

I'm surprised they don't rerun some JoJo episodes until they are able to have new ones, unless there's some reason they can't?
I'd like to see Eizouken on Toonami. It's a love letter to anime. Wonder if they dubbed the show yet.

Light Lucario

Staff member

Admittedly, I'm not sure what other situation could have happened to affect virtually all of the dubs Toonami airs besides the pandemic. Not to mention no one was really prepared for something like this to begin with. They should really look into getting more anime with completed dubs, but I can understand why having less of a budget would make that difficult too.

As for Jojo, it's possible that airing reruns for that series would be too expensive. They air reruns of My Hero Academia, but they might have been able to work out a deal with Funimation for those reruns to cost less, especially when they seem to know when Funimation will have the newest episodes available. It might have been too expensive to do that with Jojo, especially when this was a sudden last minute change as well.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
The other reason they might be able to do MHA reruns over ones for Jojo is that MHA is worth the cost to air repeats. It's the biggest anime of the decade, and its repeats seem to be doing well. Jojo is pretty niche in comparison.

I'm sure Ballmastrz is a fun anime tribute, but I don't like that they're airing something you can watch on [as] proper any day of the week instead of putting something else on. I can understand the desire to not run back to Bebop or GITS, but surely they could get something from Funi's vault that shouldn't cost too much, right?

I still think doubling up on Naruto is the best idea, but I can understand if that's too expensive.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Ballmastrz is free, vault shows other than stuff like FLCL or GITS cost money. Also, they seem blindsided as Viz told them this at the last minute. At least I hope Toonami is checking out the timer till Black Clover runs out of episodes like fans are so they can prepare a vault show.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd imagine that they have something in mind for Black Clover. Depending on how Funimation is going along with the remaining episodes, they might put Black Clover on reruns. It does well enough for its timeslot, so they may figure it would be worthwhile to pay for reruns like they're doing with My Hero Academia. If they don't want to, then they may just remove Black Clover in favor of a different series. At least they'll have some time to prepare for that as opposed to Jojo suddenly having to be removed from the lineup.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Geez, just 1 show, Naruto, with new episodes, could be the norm until Uzumaki for 4 weeks. Wow.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I'd imagine that they have something in mind for Black Clover. Depending on how Funimation is going along with the remaining episodes, they might put Black Clover on reruns. It does well enough for its timeslot, so they may figure it would be worthwhile to pay for reruns like they're doing with My Hero Academia. If they don't want to, then they may just remove Black Clover in favor of a different series. At least they'll have some time to prepare for that as opposed to Jojo suddenly having to be removed from the lineup.

The last Black Clover dubbed episode came out on April 26, https://www.funimation.com/blog/202...s-on-simuldubs-my-hero-academia-black-clover/. It looks like they rotate shows to dub and are working on Fruits Basket right now. They are I thiink 12 episodes away from Japan and we have no idea how long the hiatus may last. It might be a long wait so I'm not expecting them to keep it if Funimation only releases one Black Clover episode a month like they seem to be doing. It will be about 8 months for those 8 undubbed episodes to be dubbed unless dub production can proceed as normal.

wjbraden

when did adult swim start airing my hero reruns .. its been airing at 530 AM
About a month or so ago.

And regarding BM9009 on Toonami, they really should've put one of the FLCL's in for filler. I mean, it's what they used to do in the past, and it would've made a lot more sense.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts