"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Sad it's not a YuYu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, or anything like that marathon. Still, they had easy rights. Better keep expectations in check.

Also, it appears this will air after SAO ends. Another stalling tactic before we know if we get a new show or a slot cut?

wjbraden

Sad it's not a YuYu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, or anything like that marathon. Still, they had easy rights. Better keep expectations in check.

Also, it appears this will air after SAO ends. Another stalling tactic before we know if we get a new show or a slot cut?
They did say that new acquisitions were on the horizon, so it's quite possible they still have a replacement ready if all i's were dotted and t's crossed before the outbreak, and provided none of said acquisitions are simuldubs. Everything's just so up in the air right now so it's hard to say.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member

While they had the rights to those shows at one point, they don't anymore and it would require paying the distributor for those rights and I doubt they'll give it to them for cheap.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
While they had the rights to those shows at one point, they don't anymore and it would require paying the distributor for those rights and I doubt they'll give it to them for cheap.

Demarco mentioned special airings and I was hoping for one time airings similar to when YuYu Hakusho and Trigun aired during April Fools 2012. I think they got their one time airing rights by plugging the DVDs hard that night, so I understand that the DBZ reruns well is way easier to do. Still, I had hope we'd get a special night similar to it. Here it was in all its glory:

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I'd really want to see this happen because not only would the DC animated movies after 2008 finally get to air on Toonami, but since there's a lot of content there to explore, it would be an easy way to fill up the schedule during quarantine.

....you know, why hasn't Toonami ever turned to the more mature DC animated movies for filling slots? Is it a cost issue or is it a "Hey, that's not anime!!" issue? .....because they need to stop relying on just anime. (Of course, I still think "Primal" should've aired on Toonami).

Light Lucario

Staff member
....you know, why hasn't Toonami ever turned to the more mature DC animated movies for filling slots? Is it a cost issue or is it a "Hey, that's not anime!!" issue? .....because they need to stop relying on just anime. (Of course, I still think "Primal" should've aired on Toonami).

I imagine that it is either a cost issue or DC wants to keep their animated movies for their own streaming service. I highly doubt that it's just because it isn't anime. They rely on anime because they're generally cheaper to get and the options for western cartoons that appeal to adults are more limited by comparison. Toonami probably would have kept using shows like Beware the Batman, Thundercats 2011 and Sym-Bionic Titan on and off for rerun slots if Cartoon Network didn't write them off.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member

DeMarco has said plenty of times that he himself dislikes the "Toonami is only for anime" stance some people have, but the decline of action cartoons in the West has made it harder and harder to get shows that aren't reruns (Sym-Bionic Titan) or shows they themselves had to greenlight (final Samurai Jack season).

I don't have a link, but I know years ago someone asked why they couldn't air Young Justice reruns, and he said that it was too expensive for some reason, and now it probably wouldn't work out if WB wants to keep it a DC streaming exclusive.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DeMarco has said plenty of times that he himself dislikes the "Toonami is only for anime" stance some people have, but the decline of action cartoons in the West has made it harder and harder to get shows that aren't reruns (Sym-Bionic Titan) or shows they themselves had to greenlight (final Samurai Jack season).

Right, but they wouldn't have had to "greenlight" these, they were already being made.

I don't have a link, but I know years ago someone asked why they couldn't air Young Justice reruns, and he said that it was too expensive for some reason, and now it probably wouldn't work out if WB wants to keep it a DC streaming exclusive.

Well, even before the DC streaming service, why weren't they airing stuff like "Batman: Year One" or "Superman vs. the Elite" back in 2014 or 2015? (I know, the short answer is "the cost", just venting, that's all).

...when was the last time a DC Animated movie aired on Cartoon Network, for that matter?

Reactions: RDG

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
...when was the last time a DC Animated movie aired on Cartoon Network, for that matter?

Are we counting the LEGO films? If we don't count those, or the Batman/Scooby-Doo crossover film from like two years ago...

Off the top, I know that Green Lantern: First Flight aired in 2010, but that couldn't be the last one...could it?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Off the top, I know that Green Lantern: First Flight aired in 2010, but that couldn't be the last one...could it?

....see, it's examples like this that make me have a hard time believing the 2010's were a "New Golden Age" or "Renaissance" for Cartoon Network, as some maintain.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
If I recall, he also said that DC was uncomfortable with the idea of any of their shows aimed at kids (Young Justice pre-cancellation included) airing on a programming block targeted at adults. Beware the Batman was an exception because CN mishandled it so badly and Toonami running it was literally the only chance the show had of seeing its unaired episodes make it to TV (and just barely, since they had to run the final episodes in a marathon due to CN doing a tax write-off). But otherwise that was a big part of why Toonami couldn't get Young Justice or Green Lantern, apparently DC vetoed the idea when approached.

I think, if approached, they may be more open to Toonami airing Young Justice now since it's been reclassified as a series for an adult audience (similar to Samurai Jack now being an Adult Swim IP). Plus Warner Bros seems to be opening up to the DC Universe shows getting on other platforms; Stargirl will be running next-day on the CW, Doom Patrol season 2 will be simultaneously releasing on HBO Max, and Harley Quinn had a special airing of its first episode on TBS a few months ago. Like I said a while back, Young Justice airing on Toonami, even from the start, would be a great way for WB to advertise the service, so it'd be nice if they could work something out.

They've aired Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo a number of times in the past few years, and recently Teen Titans Go vs Teen Titans, but in terms of the DC Animated Originals? Yeah, probably Green Lantern First Flight. I know a number of the more recent ones have run on SyFy and (I think) HBO Family though.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Doesn't Starz get the rights to the DC Originals or something? It seemed like you could always catch a random airing on Starz Action, etc, though I haven't checked in ages.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Another thing to bring up about the DC situation is that for years, WB and Turner acted in their own separate ways, even though they were part of the same corporation. That meant they weren't as close as some other conglomerates(Viacom is one example that pops to mind). With AT&T buying Time Warner and putting Turner under WB, maybe that will start to change now.

The Master C

The airing of the DC animated movies on other networks could suggest that the rights to those movies may just not be available to [as] just yet, but I think it's more of a lack of communication between two different parts of the newly enlarged WB. I'm sure if [as] and WB Animation worked together, they would come to an agreement that would allow some, if not all, of the DC animated movies on Toonami.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Toonami posted this on their Facebook page with a classic TOM pose.

Doesn't this pose look familiar to you?

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please

Light Lucario

Staff member
Even though it is strange to have the marathon be basically just the setup for the Cell Games, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they have another DBZ Kai marathon focused on that arc somewhere down the road. DZB Kai would be a quick and easy way to potentially attract more viewers and it could do pretty well ratings wise too.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
In Toonami's defense, the Kai Discussions on the Adult Swim thread does need to catch up with the DBZ Abridged episodes. :D

Also, as Light Lucario suggests, I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami is splitting the Cell arc into three marathons that will air during the pandemic period, with the second marathon covering up to the start of the Gohan/Cell fight and the third finishing the arc.

EDIT: One big question: Once it gets dubbed, how long will it be until Gal and Dino shows up on Toonami? :D

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts