"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
However, I don't want any more innocent people (including hospitalized ones) getting seizure deaths, so I am against Assassination Classroom Season 2 airing. That's completely off-limits. However, Megalo Box: Nomad is perfectly fine.

I don't remember Assassination Classroom causing any seizures. It seemed to be a huge hit on streaming and at mid 2010s anime conventions. Even though it is already really easy to stream on Funimation (with no paywall), some people want it to air anyway and would be upset if it didn't air. I'd personally prefer something you can't get on streaming, like a possible Megalobox Nomad dub premiere or one of the originals, but I wouldn't exactly object to Assassination Classroom as at least it's a good anime title.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't remember Assassination Classroom causing any seizures. It seemed to be a huge hit on streaming and at mid 2010s anime conventions. Even though it is already really easy to stream on Funimation (with no paywall), some people want it to air anyway and would be upset if it didn't air. I'd personally prefer something you can't get on streaming, like a possible Megalobox Nomad dub premiere or one of the originals, but I wouldn't exactly object to Assassination Classroom as at least it's a good anime title.
Some episodes if not all had that possible seizure warning at the start like DBS.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Having the possible seizure warning doesn't necessarily mean that people got seizures while watching Assassination Classroom. As far as I'm aware, there wasn't any confirmed cases of seizures caused by Assassination Classroom episodes. Same with DBS episodes. Having the warning would just be a safety measure depending on the lighting of an episode/scene. They ideally would want to keep people with seizures aware of the risks so that they can stay safe. So I don't understand the rationale of being against Assassination Classroom season two because of the seizure warnings.

RunoMisaki573

Speaking of November, if Black Clover does end on November (assuming the DC Fandome marathons happened the previous month), how would you feel if the US Toonami got Radiant and aired it as Black Clover's replacement?

Oh, and not to mention there's a new anime called Combatants Will Be Dispatched. Looks like one series that Toonami can easily air. However, with the limited budget and with nearly all recent show additions are continuations of existing series, I doubt Combatants would join Toonami. Same could be said with Uzaki-chan and SK8 The Infinity.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
My prediction: Fena arrives in July to replace Promised Neverland and runs until September, Uzumaki is shown over October, and then Blade Runner in November.
Fena and Blade Runner's episode counts haven't been revealed yet, right? Uzumaki is only like 4 I think?

EDIT: Yes, 4 for Uzumaki. Supposedly 12 for Fena and 13 for Blade Runner.

Last edited:

Vampire_King

so adultswim uploaded the MHA S5 trailer to youtube and i noticed several comments from people who seemed surprised to see MHA On adultswim at all

they had no clue MHA had been airing on the block since 2018 and were quite confused

tykroma94

so adultswim uploaded the MHA S5 trailer to youtube and i noticed several comments from people who seemed surprised to see MHA On adultswim at all

they had no clue MHA had been airing on the block since 2018 and were quite confused

I mean honestly I’m not really surprised due to the fact that most people were watching the sub or even the dub on Streaming and never knew the show has been on Toonami for quite some time. Heck, I was the same way too. I didn’t know MHA was on Toonami until I saw a promo for it while watching Boruto.

I guess this shows that Streaming has definitely been a throne on Toonami’s sides. I guess this also shows that not a lot people watch Toonami or TV in general anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Speaking of November, if Black Clover does end on November (assuming the DC Fandome marathons happened the previous month), how would you feel if the US Toonami got Radiant and aired it as Black Clover's replacement?

Oh, and not to mention there's a new anime called Combatants Will Be Dispatched. Looks like one series that Toonami can easily air. However, with the limited budget and with nearly all recent show additions are continuations of exist

Based on the clips I've seen and the Anime News Network reviews, Radiant looks and sounds like the most generic anime ever, and I've heard very little actual praise for it, rare considering how it feels like every battle shonen nowadays is a guaranteed hit. It's already over a year old and I'd be surprised if it could get that big an audience. If they have to air a battle shonen, Jujutsu Kaisen seems like the best choice considering it's an eye candy heavy spectacle a la Demon Slayer. Considering it's from Crunchyroll, it's probably unobtainable, though.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched doesn't feel like something Toonami would pick up as they don't seem to pick up comedy anime very often. Space Dandy was an exception because of Sinichiro Wantanabe's involvement and I don't know what they were smoking when they picked up Pop Team Epic. It would be nice for a change of pace and that series was created by the same author as Konosuba, a show Jason Demarco really wanted on Toonami, but Crunchyroll wouldn't let him. Just any reprieve from just shonen will feel good. Comedy anime probably has a better chance of avoiding the deathslot that seinen and mecha anime are seemingly automatically damned to on Toonami.

Yeah, Crunchyroll is getting a lot of the good stuff and that will make it hard for Toonami. At least on the bright side, they have their originals and Demon Slayer dub premieres. Maybe Viz is still okay with Toonami and will allow them to show Megalobox Nomad.

tykroma94

Based on the clips I've seen and the Anime News Network reviews, Radiant looks and sounds like the most generic anime ever, and I've heard very little actual praise for it, rare considering how it feels like every battle shonen nowadays is a guaranteed hit. It's already over a year old and I'd be surprised if it could get that big an audience. If they have to air a battle shonen, Jujutsu Kaisen seems like the best choice considering it's an eye candy heavy spectacle a la Demon Slayer. Considering it's from Crunchyroll, it's probably unobtainable, though.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched doesn't feel like something Toonami would pick up as they don't seem to pick up comedy anime very often. Space Dandy was an exception because of Sinichiro Wantanabe's involvement and I don't know what they were smoking when they picked up Pop Team Epic. It would be nice for a change of pace and that series was created by the same author as Konosuba, a show Jason Demarco really wanted on Toonami, but Crunchyroll wouldn't let him. Just any reprieve from just shonen will feel good. Comedy anime probably has a better chance of avoiding the deathslot that seinen and mecha anime are seemingly automatically damned to on Toonami.

Yeah, Crunchyroll is getting a lot of the good stuff and that will make it hard for Toonami. At least on the bright side, they have their originals and Demon Slayer dub premieres. Maybe Viz is still okay with Toonami and will allow them to show Megalobox Nomad.

Yea what you said about Radiant is pretty spot on. I saw the first 2 episodes and immediately dropped it. It just didn’t click with me tbh. Honestly if Viz would have gotten Jujutsu Kaisen, maybe it would’ve had a chance to air on Toonami but looks like Crunchyroll outbid them, so I’m not really holding out hope. Besides sub and dub fans of the show are already streaming it and nobody is gonna stay up late at night to watch the show on Toonami.

Combatants will be dispatched wouldn’t really fit on Toonami to be honest.

I feel like it’s not only Crunchyroll getting the good stuff that’s making it hard for Toonami, but Netflix as well. At least with Funimation when they get the good stuff, they at least share with Toonami. With Streaming now, it feels as though it’s not letting Toonami strive the way it should. I really do hope those originals are successful for them. I’m not sure what gonna happen with Megalobox Nomad but seeing as though Funimation hasn’t announced a dub for it yet, it makes me think that maybe Viz is actually still gonna premiere the dub on Toonami, be we’ll have to wait and see.

PicardMan

Staff member
I feel like it’s not only Crunchyroll getting the good stuff that’s making it hard for Toonami, but Netflix as well.

Seems like the only massively popular anime that Toonami missed out on from Netflix are The Seven Deadly Sins, Beastars, and Devilman Crybaby. The former probably would have been a big hit on Toonami for seasons one and two, but we would have had to deal with the crappy seasons 3 and 4. Devilman Crybaby and Beastars have an extreme amount of sexy stuff that is unairable on Adult Swim and is thus only palpable to streaming. Dorehedoro seemed to also have somewhat of a following, albeit nowhere near the size of the above three, and probably would have been the best fit for Toonami and thus the only airable hit that didn't decay in later seasons.

The 2021 Netflix slate so far looks like we didn't miss out on much good stuff. Yasuke seems to be incredibly negatively received and the shonen they got don't seem to be setting the world on fire (Shaman King and Edens Zero have mediocre MyAnimeList scores as of this moment). High Rise Invasion would have probably been a major hit during Toonami's 2012-2015 gore phase, but Toonami has seemingly gave up on these kinds of shows. It's probably because Netflix took Toonami's place as the place for gory anime.

In conclusion, Toonami, hasn't missed out on that much because the vast majority of Netflix Original Anime is rather mediocre or has so much sexual content that it couldn't air on Toonami anyway. Crunchyroll is still the major rival for Toonami in terms of acquisitions as Jujutsu Kaisen and Re:Zero are way bigger than anything on Netflix's mediocre 2021 slate.

tykroma94

Seems like the only massively popular anime that Toonami missed out on from Netflix are The Seven Deadly Sins, Beastars, and Devilman Crybaby. The former probably would have been a big hit on Toonami for seasons one and two, but we would have had to deal with the crappy seasons 3 and 4. Devilman Crybaby and Beastars have an extreme amount of sexy stuff that is unairable on Adult Swim and is thus only palpable to streaming. Dorehedoro seemed to also have somewhat of a following, albeit nowhere near the size of the above three, and probably would have been the best fit for Toonami and thus the only airable hit that didn't decay in later seasons.

The 2021 Netflix slate so far looks like we didn't miss out on much good stuff. Yasuke seems to be incredibly negatively received and the shonen they got don't seem to be setting the world on fire (Shaman King and Edens Zero have mediocre MyAnimeList scores as of this moment). High Rise Invasion would have probably been a major hit during Toonami's 2012-2015 gore phase, but Toonami has seemingly gave up on these kinds of shows. It's probably because Netflix took Toonami's place as the place for gory anime.

In conclusion, Toonami, hasn't missed out on that much because the vast majority of Netflix Original Anime is rather mediocre or has so much sexual content that it couldn't air on Toonami anyway. Crunchyroll is still the major rival for Toonami in terms of acquisitions as Jujutsu Kaisen and Re:Zero are way bigger than anything on Netflix's mediocre 2021 slate.

Now that you mention, it doesn’t feel like Toonami was missing out on all the good stuff but has missed a few of them. With Seven Deadly Sins, I feel like that would be the type that could’ve been on Toonami, but was pretty unobtainable. To me I felt like Dorohedoro didn’t really fit Toonami despite the premise.

Netflix Anime lineup for this year isn’t that bad. I mean with Yasuke, people are thinking bad of it because of the mechs and magic(which honestly the mechs i understand but not the magic too). I’m surprised Shaman King and Edens Zero, the two new Shonen, aren’t that popular here considering they’ve been getting pretty popular in Japan. I think that Netflix Jail may be preventing them from catching on and becoming successful and that’s a shame really.

Really Netflix Original Anime to me aren’t really that bad but are very disappointing sometimes. I agree, Crunchyroll has way bigger shows like Jujutsu Kaisen and Re:Zero.

PicardMan

Staff member
Now that you mention, it doesn’t feel like Toonami was missing out on all the good stuff but has missed a few of them. With Seven Deadly Sins, I feel like that would be the type that could’ve been on Toonami, but was pretty unobtainable. To me I felt like Dorohedoro didn’t really fit Toonami despite the premise.

The Seven Deadly Sins seasons one and two probably would have been a huge hit, but we know that seasons 3 and 4 happened. I almost forgot to mention The Great Pretender, but that show is kinda Lupinesque being a comedic show about thieves. If it aired on Toonami, it probably would have gone to the deathslot just like Lupin. Really SDS (at least the first two seasons) is the only Netflix anime I can see being a huge hit on Toonami.

Netflix Anime lineup for this year isn’t that bad. I mean with Yasuke, people are thinking bad of it because of the mechs and magic(which honestly the mechs i understand but not the magic too).

I was wondering if maybe this show was hated on just because it has mechs. Samurai 7 combined old timey swordsmen and science fiction and is a well loved anime, but that was during the 00s when mecha was far more popular. There seems to be a huge disconnect between the Millennial and Zoomer population in terms of reception to 2021's mecha anime. Anime News Network and their Millennial writing staff has acclaimed SSSS.Dynazeon and Back Arrow, while My Anime List, which I hear is mostly composed of Zoomers, despises those shows. 86 is the incredibly rare popular mech anime on MAL, but it's unobtainable since it's on Crunchyroll.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Is Back Arrow the one that's pretty much a combo of Attack on Titan and Code Geass? I've heard it's pretty much junk food level good, nothing too awesome and mind blowing

AdrenalineRush1996

Heck, Castlevania would've been a good fit for either Adult Swim or Toonami.
I was wondering if maybe this show was hated on just because it has mechs. Samurai 7 combined old timey swordsmen and science fiction and is a well loved anime, but that was during the 00s when mecha was far more popular. There seems to be a huge disconnect between the Millennial and Zoomer population in terms of reception to 2021's mecha anime. Anime News Network and their Millennial writing staff has acclaimed SSSS.Dynazeon and Back Arrow, while My Anime List, which I hear is mostly composed of Zoomers, despises those shows. 86 is the incredibly rare popular mech anime on MAL, but it's unobtainable since it's on Crunchyroll.
To be quite fair, I wouldn't really rely on My Anime List when it comes to the audience recpeption.

tykroma94

The Seven Deadly Sins seasons one and two probably would have been a huge hit, but we know that seasons 3 and 4 happened. I almost forgot to mention The Great Pretender, but that show is kinda Lupinesque being a comedic show about thieves. If it aired on Toonami, it probably would have gone to the deathslot just like Lupin. Really SDS (at least the first two seasons) is the only Netflix anime I can see being a huge hit on Toonami.

Speaking of season 3 and Season 4 of SDS, I know it was criticized for its animation, but I gotta also wonder how it went so downhill the later seasons. Great Pretender islit, especially the dub. It could work on Toonami, but I agree it’ll definitely get deathslotted which is a shame really. Plus Netflix was on the show committee anyway so I highly doubt it would’ve ended up on there.

I think the mechs are definitely the reason why Yasuke was so hated on, but I don’t blame them. The anime takes place in 15th century Japan and the mechs just ruined the immersion and frankly out of place. I didn’t mind the magic that much tbh. In the case of Samurai 7, the fact it did well in the 2000s is kinda strange with mecha anime like Gundam, as I was born in that era of the early 2000s. Yea the disconnect between Millennials and us Zoomers is very apparent. I just don’t really like mecha anime like that, those the only mecha anime I’ll really like is probably gonna be 86: Eighty Six but Crunchyroll has it and is dubbing it anyway so bad luck for Toonami.

veemonjosh

Say Hi to Virginia
Spotted on Toei Animation EU's website earlier today (before being removed), there's an announcement coming on May 9th (Goku Day) about a new Dragon Ball Super movie in 2022:

I have to wonder if the massive success of the Demon Slayer movie, which adapted a canon arc, might have persuaded Toei to adapt the next arc in the Super manga, the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga, as a movie rather than a new season. Guess we'll find out on Sunday.

PicardMan

Staff member
Is Back Arrow the one that's pretty much a combo of Attack on Titan and Code Geass? I've heard it's pretty much junk food level good, nothing too awesome and mind blowing

Back Arrow is essentially Divergent: The Last Airbender. There are four nations divided between personality traits and values and the mecha are manifestations of the pilots' convictions. The main character ends up in a cowboy village of sorts and it's a kinda bizarre mishmash setting of people in another feudal Japan style village. The plot (from what's been dubbed so far) is pretty formulaic villain of the week. On the mecha seriousness scale (from G Gundam to Neon Genesis Evangelion) it's on the super silly side. It's a decent diversion although it doesn't look to be the genre classic that Code Geass was.

In the case of Samurai 7, the fact it did well in the 2000s is kinda strange with mecha anime like Gundam, as I was born in that era of the early 2000s.

Mecha's popularity in the 2000s was primarily due to the the mystique of the the then new century and the possibilities of technological advancement. Batman Beyond was another example of the turn of the century futurism craze. Since you were born in the early 00s, you definitely would not remember Gundam Wing mania in the year 2000, but it was pretty monumental to see real complex political issues like war in animation. 8 year old me tuned that stuff out in favor of the action scenes, but watching it on DVD as a teen allowed me to appreciate the things the series did. Mecha seemed to continue to have a life in the late 00s with Gundam 00 tackling 21st century political issues to success. The world has just changed and that's probably a big part of the American mecha fanbases decline. In the smartphone world, technology doesn't seem as mystical as magic and it seems like Americans are now latching on to fantasy isekai more.

RunoMisaki573

I have a feeling Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 wouldn't get aired on Toonami this year if this excessive meddling continues. I wouldn't be surprised once Toonami airs its final broadcast (assuming it will happen in 2023) and yet the best anime of 2019 never got aired in cable form. With the age of streaming, these services have so many anime choices that a weekly programming block from the old times can't keep up with, and at times it's not worth paying royalties just to air a specific show on a block that barely anyone would watch.

To be honest, I'll be dropping Toonami after the Fire Force finale, and I won't be interested in Dr.Stone Season 2. I already watched all of Dragon Ball Super (except for Golden Frieza saga, which never got rerun after adult swim took out the 8 PM Dragon Ball hour) and Food Wars Season 3, and I think just watching Naruto Shippuden wouldn't be enough to show my love for the block. What I plan to do is to maintain a schedule where I watch a playlist of anime in a specific order on a weekly basis (like Sunday mornings). I rarely watch anime anytime anywhere, and I am already used to watching anime on weekends thanks to Toonami. However, it is time to move on.

AdrenalineRush1996

I'll be honest but I don't want Toonami to call it a day. I just want them to recover from this and improve in the long run, considering that next year will be their 25th anniversary as well as their revival's tenth anniversary.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This cell was owned by June Foray.

Today is officially my 19th birthday!
The birthday thread is not updated since RegularCapital's birthday. If someone wants to greet, go to that thread.
Asa
Finally started playing Mario Sunshine on Nintendo Switch after many years.

I never got to finish the whole game as a kid, so I'll be able to finish it for the first time, ever :D.
So, the new Crispy Chicken Sandwich at McDonald's is just a glorified and more expensive version of the McChicken...without mayonnaise. But wait! If you pay more for the DELUXE Crispy Chicken sandwich, you CAN get mayonnaise :rolleyes:
harry580 wrote on ShadowBlinky's profile.
hey, I like your profile pic because Horton hears a who is my favorite movie

Featured Posts