"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Viz probably is charging a lot for Yashahime too. Is Yashahime even popular anyway?

Crunchyroll doesn't give exact streaming numbers, but it seems really buried on their popular shows section (11th row). Even shows that ended a while ago like Darling in the Franxx is listed higher.

We have other Food Wars related news. Crunchyroll is now streaming the season 4 dub (it is paywalled, a rarity for Crunchyroll content besides new episodes. Maybe the paywall comes down in a week?) It's still odd if Crunchyroll has the streaming rights to season 3 and 4's dubs why only season 4's is available. Season 3 is on Hi-Dive. No wonder most anime fans watch it in Japanese with subtitles because of stuff like this. To watch the Food Wars dub on streaming, you have to watch seasons 1 and 2 on Hulu, season 3 on Hi-Dive, and season 4 on Crunchyroll Premium. That's multiple paywalls. I guess Toonami is blessed because it might be the only place to show all four seasons of the dub.

Even though we are getting Food Wars season 3 despite Crunchyroll allegedly having the streaming rights (even though the dub is on Hi-Dive and not Crunchyroll itself), this probably doesn't mean Jujutsu Kaisen is within grasp. Sentai probably helped Toonami as they have the license to the show and did the dub. Crunchyroll definitely has the license to Jujutsu Kaisen and there's no way they're gonna give the MHA dethroner up to Toonami.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Correct. She said that Boruto was picking up more kids and teens than the 18-49 demo, which didn't sit well with the network (and probably the advertisers).

In an ideal world where CN's schedule were actually diverse like the old days, Boruto would be airing during the late afternoon/early evening hours, and would potentially do pretty well. But kids can't have non-toyetic anime (or...really any anime outside Disney XD except Bakugan at 6am once a week) on TV anymore during the hours where their views would actually matter.

Yeah, it's really sad as to what has happened to anime on U.S. television. Granted, back in the 2000's, CN/AS were the main places where you could see non-toyetic anime since Nick never touched it. But at least you had Toon Disney/Disney XD as an outlet and then you had the cable channels like IFC and G4 showing stuff that AS would not pick up(remember when IFC mocked their black and white cards? Guess who's laughing now, lol).

For the past couple months, I've been re-watching Black Clover. Originally, I dismissed the show when it originally started on Toonami but watching it now, I think it's a pretty decent shonen show. But watching it now, I'm struck how this show would be perfect afternoon slot on CN. Sure there probably would be some edits for violence and language, but it could easily air as a TV-Y7 or TV-PG show.

But the one show that I really wish could air at a late afternoon/early evening slot would be Fruits Basket. I started watching the 2019 version and it's really beautiful and I really believe the show could air on either CN, Nick or Disney and be successful. Not that shojo anime had an easier time back then either. The original anime was well-known too, but that never got a chance to air, even though the manga was breaking into the New York Times best-seller lists. Now the only chance the 2019 version can even air is on Toonami but based off the performance of stuff like FLCL Alternative and Progressive, that's a very slim chance to never. And that's a shame.

tykroma94

Yeah, it's really sad as to what has happened to anime on U.S. television. Granted, back in the 2000's, CN/AS were the main places where you could see non-toyetic anime since Nick never touched it. But at least you had Toon Disney/Disney XD as an outlet and then you had the cable channels like IFC and G4 showing stuff that AS would not pick up(remember when IFC mocked their black and white cards? Guess who's laughing now, lol).

For the past couple months, I've been re-watching Black Clover. Originally, I dismissed the show when it originally started on Toonami but watching it now, I think it's a pretty decent shonen show. But watching it now, I'm struck how this show would be perfect afternoon slot on CN. Sure there probably would be some edits for violence and language, but it could easily air as a TV-Y7 or TV-PG show.

But the one show that I really wish could air at a late afternoon/early evening slot would be Fruits Basket. I started watching the 2019 version and it's really beautiful and I really believe the show could air on either CN, Nick or Disney and be successful. Not that shojo anime had an easier time back then either. The original anime was well-known too, but that never got a chance to air, even though the manga was breaking into the New York Times best-seller lists. Now the only chance the 2019 version can even air is on Toonami but based off the performance of stuff like FLCL Alternative and Progressive, that's a very slim chance to never. And that's a shame.

Exactly. It’s a shame non toyetic anime can’t air on TV anymore in the US. Black Clover can easily air with a TV-PG in a evening slot on CN. Maybe some minor edits but TV-PG nonetheless. If it was on there, I can see it do pretty good ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Endeavor24

Can't believe they finally confirmed it. YES. Pity, and if Dragon Ball Super ever resumes its anime, these two will be in the same boat with a super popular canon movie that never airs on Toonami.
To add onto this, since season 2 is airing so soon it will most likely be here before the movie comes out on Blu rays and dvds. Meaning the those that wont or cant watch the movie in theaters also cannot watch season 2 as it airs. This is why I hate canon anime movies.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
To add onto this, since season 2 is airing so soon it will most likely be here before the movie comes out on Blu rays and dvds. Meaning the those that wont or cant watch the movie in theaters also cannot watch season 2 as it airs. This is why I hate canon anime movies.

The idea of a Demon Slayer arc animated on a feature film budget does sound amazing on paper, amazing enough to shatter all those box office records. I'd be cool if this goes directly to streaming in the US. Even before covid, anime movies, with the exception of the toyetic kids franchises from the turn of the century, only get limited releases anyway here. Even Your Name, despite doing so great in its home country, only got a limited release.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The idea of a Demon Slayer arc animated on a feature film budget does sound amazing on paper, amazing enough to shatter all those box office records. I'd be cool if this goes directly to streaming in the US. Even before covid, anime movies, with the exception of the toyetic kids franchises from the turn of the century, only get limited releases anyway here. Even Your Name, despite doing so great in its home country, only got a limited release.
True. They haven't yet officially announced that February 26 date for Mugen Train in US theaters. Maybe they could be considering a streaming release due to covid or even a hybrid rollout?

Light Lucario

Staff member
True. They haven't yet officially announced that February 26 date for Mugen Train in US theaters. Maybe they could be considering a streaming release due to covid or even a hybrid rollout?
If they could land a deal with a big streaming service like Netflix or HBO Max, I could see them doing a hybrid rollout. It would help to make the movie more accessible and potentially get them more money. Plenty of people won't feel comfortable going to theaters anytime soon and plenty of theaters won't be open either. Given how huge Demon Slayer is, getting to air its new movie, even just temporarily, would be a huge boost for a streaming site. Netflix might be interested in that when they just uploaded the series, but I don't know how likely is for that to happen.

I figured that we'd get a season two announcement. Depending on when it comes out this year, it still might be awhile before we get a dub, but I imagine that they'll release it as soon as possible. I could see Toonami airing the Mugen Train movie. They still air movies, although it is more of a rarity, and they might want to use it to hype up whenever they announce that they're going to air season two.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If they could land a deal with a big streaming service like Netflix or HBO Max, I could see them doing a hybrid rollout. It would help to make the movie more accessible and potentially get them more money. Plenty of people won't feel comfortable going to theaters anytime soon and plenty of theaters won't be open either. Given how huge Demon Slayer is, getting to air its new movie, even just temporarily, would be a huge boost for a streaming site. Netflix might be interested in that when they just uploaded the series, but I don't know how likely is for that to happen.

I figured that we'd get a season two announcement. Depending on when it comes out this year, it still might be awhile before we get a dub, but I imagine that they'll release it as soon as possible. I could see Toonami airing the Mugen Train movie. They still air movies, although it is more of a rarity, and they might want to use it to hype up whenever they announce that they're going to air season two.
Yes, I could see this being a fall debut at the earliest. I would be so happy if Toonami scored the Mugen Train to air on TV but... yeah, idk. We'll see.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Demon Slayer was in the top 10 most streamed shows of any genre or media on Netflix. It's huge for them. A limited theatrical release during COVID seems like a really bad idea. Wide release movies already struggle. I think Toonami's slashed budget in no way can afford a movie that outgrossed Titanic in Japan.

Vampire_King

Banned
Demon Slayer was in the top 10 most streamed shows of any genre or media on Netflix. It's huge for them. A limited theatrical release during COVID seems like a really bad idea. Wide release movies already struggle. I think Toonami's slashed budget in no way can afford a movie that outgrossed Titanic in Japan.
then they'll have to deal with a lot of confused viewers who have no idea what's going on since the demon slayer movie isn't some silly non-canon story you can just ignore like most

it's 100% required to understand what comes afterwards

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
then they'll have to deal with a lot of confused viewers who have no idea what's going on since the demon slayer movie isn't some silly non-canon story you can just ignore like most

it's 100% required to understand what comes afterwards

If the Demon Slayer movie is streaming, Toonami can do what they did with One Piece and put up a promo telling viewers to stream the movie to catch up. Anyone remember when Toonami did this?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So Mugen Train will likely stream first from Netflix or Funimation? I seem to recall a few months ago that Funimation started streaming the season 1 English dub. Or Crunchyroll?

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
So Mugen Train will likely stream first from Netflix or Funimation? I seem to recall a few months ago that Funimation started streaming the season 1 English dub. Or Crunchyroll?
The dub is on Netflix, so the film will likely end up there.

On a related note, the JoJo OVA series "Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe" is on Netflix as of today. EDIT: There is a dub! Rohan is now voiced by Landon McDonald.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

If the Demon Slayer movie is streaming, Toonami can do what they did with One Piece and put up a promo telling viewers to stream the movie to catch up. Anyone remember when Toonami did this?

And you may also remember how WELL that worked. And By WELL I mean "God, what were they thinking!?"

Light Lucario

Staff member
And you may also remember how WELL that worked. And By WELL I mean "God, what were they thinking!?"
To be fair, they were in a pretty tight spot with One Piece. Starting from the beginning of the Funimation dub would have potentially made it easier for the casual audience to follow along, but airing one episode a week would have made it impossible for them to get the more recent dub arcs. Neither option was really ideal, but despite ultimately dropping the show, I think that they went for the better choice. They probably would have had to drop One Piece at some point regardless for financial reasons.

That being said, telling fans to go watch a movie is more doable than telling them to try to catch up on hundreds of episodes, so this might work out better for Demon Slayer by comparison.

Endeavor24

To be fair, they were in a pretty tight spot with One Piece. Starting from the beginning of the Funimation dub would have potentially made it easier for the casual audience to follow along, but airing one episode a week would have made it impossible for them to get the more recent dub arcs. Neither option was really ideal, but despite ultimately dropping the show, I think that they went for the better choice. They probably would have had to drop One Piece at some point regardless for financial reasons.

That being said, telling fans to go watch a movie is more doable than telling them to try to catch up on hundreds of episodes, so this might work out better for Demon Slayer by comparison.
Good point, plus this had to do with other factors that is out of toonami control honestly. Btw are you going to be in this week episode discussions? I curorist on what you think on the final season of aot so far.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
We already know Toonami's budget has been slashed to pieces by COVID. If they couldn't afford movies before, they surely can't now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts