"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
I think the "official" reasoning for the Seed and Escaflowne redubs were that the remastered footage they were using didn't match with the original dubs.

That's not a problem with the recent 2017 Blu Ray of Fist of the North Star as it includes the incomplete '99-2000 dub. Toonami basically said that they would never fund a dub for an old anime so for that reason Netflix is the better bet for a possible Fist redub. Maybe if Saint Seiya's redub is popular enough, it would convince Netflix to dub or redub more 80s shonen. Haven't heard much buzz or hype with the Saint Seiya redub so I guess it wasn't that big a success?

Frontier

Staff member
That's not a problem with the recent 2017 Blu Ray of Fist of the North Star as it includes the incomplete '99-2000 dub. Toonami basically said that they would never fund a dub for an old anime so for that reason Netflix is the better bet for a possible Fist redub. Maybe if Saint Seiya's redub is popular enough, it would convince Netflix to dub or redub more 80s shonen. Haven't heard much buzz or hype with the Saint Seiya redub so I guess it wasn't that big a success?
Well, they redubbed up to the Sanctuary arc so maybe they're waiting to get to Asgard and Poseidon until Netflix releases the next of the CGI series? Although I hear that didn't go over well either :sweat:.

PicardMan

Staff member
Well, they redubbed up to the Sanctuary arc so maybe they're waiting to get to Asgard and Poseidon until Netflix releases the next of the CGI series? Although I hear that didn't go over well either :sweat:.

I think they just finished dubbing that in April. Guess it must have had an audience of some sort, possibly more than the CGI reboot. nobody liked. I guess they got the rights to the original as a package deal with the reboot so it's no guarantee that they'll snatch and redub more classics.

The Saint Seiya reboot and Netflix Originals in general has me wondering how Toonami originals will stack up. Netflix originals are either completely panned or highly acclaimed with very little middle ground. Crunchyroll originals seem to all get mediocre at best reviews from review sites to a few being abominations against mankind. Tower of God and God of High School seem to have a fanbase despite Anime News Network's hatred of both series, but the rest seem to not have much love or attention at all.

Frontier

Staff member
The Saint Seiya reboot and Netflix Originals in general has me wondering how Toonami originals will stack up. Netflix originals are either completely panned or highly acclaimed with very little middle ground. Crunchyroll originals seem to all get mediocre at best reviews from review sites to a few being abominations against mankind. Tower of God and God of High School seem to have a fanbase despite Anime News Network's hatred of both series, but the rest seem to not have much love or attention at all.
I enjoyed In/Spectre and Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You :).

PicardMan

Staff member
I enjoyed In/Spectre and Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You :).

Haven't seen those yet and they seemed to be in the shadow of the "God" anime in terms of hype. In In/Spectre's case, ANN and THEM Anime Reviews' low scores scared me away and hearing it's slow paced was a deterrent, but maybe it's better than what those critics say. Tonikawa is still airing and being a romantic comedy makes it less mainstream than the action titles, but it appears that ANN is giving it okay scores. Haven't seen either of them yet, but it seems I can probably put them in the in the "unacclaimed by review sites but still liked by fans" camp the "God" anime are in, although their fanbase doesn't seem as loud because they aren't mainstream battle anime.

Thinking about it ANN and THEM Anime Reviews are very hard to please and it is highly possible that all the Toonami originals are in the same camp of low review scores but high fan response. Getting four stars from the only two major anime review sites I know of seems extremely rare and difficult in recent years. Part of me wonders if it is because longtime anime fans have seen so much that anime itself becomes stale and only particularly innovative titles excite. I kind of feel that way, but see how fans can like a title that seems formulaic to me. Other times, they seem just really picky as I enjoy some three star anime titles and I think Tower of God was nowhere near as bad as ANN's reviews say (although I don't think it's a masterpiece either).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Some bytes from DeMarco:

-He notes various deal points between Funimation and Crunchyroll and complexities therein that prevented them from airing Mob Psycho Season 2.

-Uzumaki was delayed a year because of Covid but it's coming out in 2021. DeMarco seems to have a working timeframe of when it will air.

Haven't seen those yet and they seemed to be in the shadow of the "God" anime in terms of hype. In In/Spectre's case, ANN and THEM Anime Reviews' low scores scared me away and hearing it's slow paced was a deterrent, but maybe it's better than what those critics say. Tonikawa is still airing and being a romantic comedy makes it less mainstream than the action titles, but it appears that ANN is giving it okay scores. Haven't seen either of them yet, but it seems I can probably put them in the in the "unacclaimed by review sites but still liked by fans" camp the "God" anime are in, although their fanbase doesn't seem as loud because they aren't mainstream battle anime.

Thinking about it ANN and THEM Anime Reviews are very hard to please and it is highly possible that all the Toonami originals are in the same camp of low review scores but high fan response. Getting four stars from the only two major anime review sites I know of seems extremely rare and difficult in recent years. Part of me wonders if it is because longtime anime fans have seen so much that anime itself becomes stale and only particularly innovative titles excite. I kind of feel that way, but see how fans can like a title that seems formulaic to me. Other times, they seem just really picky as I enjoy some three star anime titles and I think Tower of God was nowhere near as bad as ANN's reviews say (although I don't think it's a masterpiece either).
In/Spectre, I thought, was one of those shows that gets by week to week but moderately serialized that pacing might flow for a viewer better if you watch the 'mini-arcs' in one crack. It's not super comedic/off the wall slapstick but there was some funny pranks the main character plays time to time. It's mostly the strategy and tactics she employs to deal with the entities she agrees to mediate that I found really interesting about the show and what separates it from others. But take it with salt as I haven't watched a ton of romantic comedy anime, I gave it a shot mainly because of the supernatural aspect of the show and surprisingly enjoyed it overall.

EDIT: Wow, we were just talking about DeMarco's reason for Boruto not returning to Toonami and it's been announced Kishimoto is officially taking over as writer and storyboarder of the Boruto manga starting with Ch. 52.

Last edited:

veemonjosh

The Crimson King
Primal will finally be airing on Toonami, for one night only on Thanksgiving weekend as part of an HBO Max promotion.

Vampire_King

i can see this meaning one of the december marathons is out of the equation since We've already had a marathon for october and now november

Light Lucario

Staff member
Some bytes from DeMarco:

-He notes various deal points between Funimation and Crunchyroll and complexities therein that prevented them from airing Mob Psycho Season 2.
That is a shame, but not too surprising at this point. At least DeMarco does want to get season two on the lineup and maybe they'll eventually be able to do that, but it's too bad that it is seemingly so difficult to get the rights to air season two when they already got season one.

SSSS Gridman sounds like an interesting choice. I haven't heard much of it, but the premise sounds interesting, so I'll give it a shot. One of these days I need to get back to watching Assassination Classroom too. Having more shows to watch on Toonami might help with that too.

3ngag3

SSSS Gridman sounds like an interesting choice. I haven't heard much of it, but the premise sounds interesting, so I'll give it a shot. One of these days I need to get back to watching Assassination Classroom too. Having more shows to watch on Toonami might help with that too.

Short synopsis: This is an animated reimagining of the live action Tokusatsu series Denkou Choujin Gridman, a series in which itself was adapted for American audiences in the 90s under the title Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad. The 'SSSS' in the title is believed to be a reference to this show.

Vampire_King

People acted like i was a weirdo for trying to say Primal's form of action seems out of place on toonami

to me it's a show of savage brutality and tragedy

something toonami doesn't dabble in unless it's horror related

most action on toonami is of the superhero/shonen variety

I'm not saying it's a bad show...just that i can't even imagine tom and sara discussing primal in it's marathon promo without it coming off as bizarre

Last edited:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
People acted like i was a weirdo for trying to say Primal's form of action seems out of place on toonami

to me it's a show of savage brutality and tragedy

something toonami doesn't dabble in unless it's horror related

most action on toonami is of the superhero/shonen variety

I'm not saying it's a bad show...just that i can't even imagine tom and sara discussing primal in it's marathon promo without it coming off as bizarre
I'm actually surprised Primal hasn't aired on Toonami up to now, even in an end-of-the-block rerun slot.

3ngag3

I'm actually surprised Primal hasn't aired on Toonami up to now, even in an end-of-the-block rerun slot.
This was due to the fact that Genndy himself requested it not be on the block. But with the lack of programming available and everything getting air time on HBO Max, I think Adult Swim forced his hand or something.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
This was due to the fact that Genndy himself requested it not be on the block. But with the lack of programming available and everything getting air time on HBO Max, I think Adult Swim forced his hand or something.

I mean, Genndy got his wish and the premieres aired on Adult Swim proper first. I don't think he minds if the reruns air on Toonami.

PicardMan

Staff member
I mean, Genndy got his wish and the premieres aired on Adult Swim proper first. I don't think he minds if the reruns air on Toonami.

But why haven't they aired reruns? Reruns aired directly before or after Toonami, but without the packaging. That seems to indicate he doesn't like even reruns airing on Toonami. Why not expand a half hour earlier or later for Primal reruns?

Vampire_King

so the primal marathon confirms this was done to promote hbo max(complete with a qr code for a trial)and there's also gonna be a boondocks marathon this thursday to act as another ad for hbo max

Eh...I Don't like the idea of toonami being used to hype up how great hbo max is and to get people to hop on a service that ATT/Warner Media seem desperate to sell people on

RunoMisaki573

Just announced on the Toonami Pre-Flight panel:

SSSS Gridman
Coming January 2021
Another wasted opportunity. SSSS Gridman's a good pick, but can't they get more worthy shows like Uzaki-chan Wants To Hang Out or Cybersix on Toonami? I've been wanting these shows on the block for the longest time.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Re: Primal and Toonami, I wouldn't be surprised if the show does join Toonami come season 2. I understand that it was Genndy's preference for it to not join, but he doesn't exactly have the power to dictate where his series airs.

I believe the only thing that really kept the show away from the block was Mike Lazzo, who has now retired, and after the poor showing it was doing on Sundays, it may be time for them to try it during their action night.

Light Lucario

Staff member
so the primal marathon confirms this was done to promote hbo max(complete with a qr code for a trial)and there's also gonna be a boondocks marathon this thursday to act as another ad for hbo max

Eh...I Don't like the idea of toonami being used to hype up how great hbo max is and to get people to hop on a service that ATT/Warner Media seem desperate to sell people on
I can understand that, but at the same time, using Toonami to promote their new shiny streaming service makes sense. They are desperate to sell people on it because there are already a lot of popular streaming platforms out there and they need to hype it up in order to make it sound like it's worthwhile to pay for a subscription. At least they haven't done this frequently with Toonami, but using their weekly action block to promote HBO Max once in awhile isn't really a bad idea on paper.

Another wasted opportunity. SSSS Gridman's a good pick, but can't they get more worthy shows like Uzaki-chan Wants To Hang Out or Cybersix on Toonami? I've been wanting these shows on the block for the longest time.
I can't really see Toonami getting Uzaki-chan. They have aired other non-action titles before, but just based on the synopsis I've read, it would stand out like a sore thumb and I don't think it is huge enough for them to bring it on like with Pop Team Epic. I've heard good things about Cybersix, but I'm not sure if Toonami could get the rights to air it. It would be nice to have some more western animated series on the lineup, but it might be too difficult or expensive for them to get the series.

veemonjosh

The Crimson King
Cybersix is over 20 years old. If it was ever going to air on Toonami, it would've done so back in the old weekday run. And I don't see something like Uzaki-Chan ever airing; Even if they do go back to that promise that they'd look into more non-action anime on Toonami, slice-of-life isn't a genre I could see doing well in the block.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So, Mick Wingert is currently following me on Twitter. That's pretty cool.
CNC
I'm gonna be taking a break from Twitter for 1 whole week. It's too hard for me to talk about.
You know at this point I'm just going to say the Wonder Park series is probably shelved and would never see the light of day.

The movie was greenlit at a time when Paramount and Nick had different management and by the time the movie was released and bombed the previous execs weren't there anymore.
The Animaniacs reboot came and still no new Yakko's World. How would you change the lyrics?
'Toy Story' was released 25 years ago today. Now, compare the animation of that to 'Toy Story 4'. Mind blowing.