"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

veemonjosh

All That Glitters Ain't Gold
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
DC Universe has like two months at the most left to live. It's very clear by now they're abandoning it.
Yeah, both Doom Patrol and Stargirl (which are also available on HBO Max and the CW respectively, so not even exclusive) have their season finales within the next week, and DC Universe has nothing else lined up for the foreseeable future (Titans season 3 hasn't filmed, Young Justice season 4 isn't remotely ready according to Greg Weisman, Harley Quinn is in limbo, Stargirl season 2 will be CW exclusive). The service is about to flatline.

Last edited:

Vampire_King

May 2, 2011
am i the only one here who thinks it's insane there are still people after this announcement
who think we're gonna be getting a labor day marathon?

i just think that's overkill....two weeks of batman movies from 8/15-8/22

then the block returns 8/29....only to go on break for a marathon on 9/5

regardless with this announcement it means Fire Force S1 reruns will probably conclude in november(same with Jojo)

so I'm thinking that october 24th air date isn't happening

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
D'oh! That's right. And I think the current fight in Jojo is a 3 parter...

Yeah, both Doom Patrol and Stargirl (which are also available on HBO Max and the CW respectively, so not even exclusive) have their season finales within the next week, and DC Universe has nothing else lined up for the foreseeable future (Titans season 3 hasn't filmed, Young Justice season 4 isn't remotely ready according to Greg Weisman, Harley Quinn is in limbo, Stargirl season 2 will be CW exclusive). The service is about to flatline.
Well, not like they planned a contingency for covid well in advance. And if the outbreak never happened, Titans would have started filming earlier this year. There's also BizarroTV which might be coming soon, it will probably come up at FanDome. They also took a long time to renew YJ after season 3 ended (too long of a time, imo), so I think Harley in the same boat. For some reason, animated series on DCU have taken longer to get renewed. Idk what's up with that. But I won't deny, there's more than enough signs pre-covid to suspect DCU was just a test run for bigger things like HBO Max.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I could see them still going for a Labor Day marathon. It isn't a guarantee by any means, but with the block not having a lot of new content as it is, relying on movie nights and marathons whenever possible would probably be better in the long run. It might also give Viz Media more time to finish up Jojo if they do need it.

Vampire_King

May 2, 2011
I could see them still going for a Labor Day marathon. It isn't a guarantee by any means, but with the block not having a lot of new content as it is, relying on movie nights and marathons whenever possible would probably be better in the long run. It might also give Viz Media more time to finish up Jojo if they do need it.
maybe they shouldn't have announced Fire Force S2 with an actual release date...since it's getting delayed to november now
just say Fire Force S2 is coming...When? I Don't know sometime

because that's the truth

Vampire_King

May 2, 2011
Hmm, kinda sucks that Jojo's being preempted, but this is a nice change of pace I guess.
it just seems weird that this entire time WB Didn't step in to assist toonami in anyway
but now all of a sudden they want toonami to act as a vehicle to promote this DC fandome virtual convention

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
maybe they shouldn't have announced Fire Force S2 with an actual release date...since it's getting delayed to november now
just say Fire Force S2 is coming...When? I Don't know sometime

because that's the truth
That probably would have been a better idea, especially when they probably weren't planning on these Batman movies wen they made that announcement. Granted, I couldn't care less when they get to Fire Force season two, so this is a nonexistent issue for me, but I can understand the frustration given the simludub issue and if you do like the series.

DonkeyKongSong

May 26, 2003
Virginia
A part of me kind of hopes that they'll eventually get the Batman and Ninja Turtle crossover movie, but that's mainly because I'm too cheap to rent it.
That aired on Nicktoons a few months ago. If Viacom/Nick/Toons owns it outright that won't happen, but I'm not exactly sure how movie rights work.

what does this mean for the fire force reruns though?
at this rate they'd need to double up at some point to conclude in time for the arrival of S2
Delaying it could give Funimation some time to dub more of it so there's less of a chance of it pausing in the middle.

Still unlikely that the Harley Quinn cartoon or Young Justice come to Toonami because DC Univverse is a thing they want people to pay for.
That and Syfy owns the rights to Harley Quinn. I wouldn't rule out Young Justice though.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
That aired on Nicktoons a few months ago. If Viacom/Nick/Toons owns it outright that won't happen, but I'm not exactly sure how movie rights work.
I wouldn't be surprised if they at least wouldn't want another channel to air a movie featuring characters that Nickelodeon owns like TMNT. I'm somewhat surprised the movie aired on Nicktoons unless they toned down the violence a bit, but that's a shame that I missed it airing on TV before.

DonkeyKongSong

May 26, 2003
Virginia
I wouldn't be surprised if they at least wouldn't want another channel to air a movie featuring characters that Nickelodeon owns like TMNT. I'm somewhat surprised the movie aired on Nicktoons unless they toned down the violence a bit, but that's a shame that I missed it airing on TV before.
I only knew about it myself because I follow some Twitter accounts that monitor the kids network schedules. If I see it again I'll let you know.

Reactions: Light Lucario

Vampire_King

May 2, 2011
If Toonami's just gonna have a labor day weekend marathon...why even have the normal lineup on the 29th?

that's the problem i have with the theory that they are planning on a labor day marathon....two weeks of batman movies then the normal lineup returns only to vanish the following week in favor of a marathon

if there are too many breaks in a short amount of time then it would start feeling like the block's pretty much done
for the year and that's not a good feeling to have

when Jojo Returned I was Thrilled i was happy but that happiness was short lived
thanks to The DC Fandome Announcement....

Edit: this just in...episode 130 of black clover will be uploaded this sunday by funimation

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Sep 11, 2009
U.S.A.
Honestly, Year One might be the only one I'll watch. DKR 1 and 2 are airing a bit later than I would like and I actually own Gotham Knight.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Eh, I own all those. I guess I'll watch something on Crunchyroll those nights instead. I loved Tower of God season 1(?) and am caught up on God of High School. Was waiting for an excuse to give some others a shot like In/Spectre. Still waiting on Meiji Gekken: Swords & Guns to come out.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
Feb 8, 2013
Ugh, I want my Jojo dammit. Can't care less about old Batman movies. I am seriously considering cancelling my TV service after Jojo is done, because I've realized the last thing on regular TV I'm actually making a point to watch is Toonami, and now the only thing I actually need Toonami to watch is Jojo. So they're literally costing me money with this marathon crap. It's clear at this point that things aren't gonna get better anytime soon, and covid has very little to do with it. There's 100s of worthy shows on Funimation, Crunchyroll, Sentai, etc that they apparently have no interest in. My money is better spent on those services. Maybe I'll get Sling or Youtube TV whenever Uzumaki actually comes out, but that's only gonna be 4 parts so I can probably watch the whole thing with a free trial.