"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Time to bring back the "classic rerun" portion of the Toonami block. Please don't let it be Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, or Outlaw Star. Or frankly Dragon Ball Super or Samurai Jack. PLEASE?!? (I'd be fine with DBZ Kai though).

I'll take Gundam Wing, Trigun or Yu Yu Hakusho...or maybe IGPX or Bleach.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I'm somewhat surprised that Boruto isn't planned to come back. I remember that DeMarco's initial response to removing Boruto made it sound more plausible for it to come back. He doesn't say that it would never come back, but it just sound like maybe it was more of a One Piece situation in that it was too expensive to keep it on the lineup with its ratings. I thought that it would have also been relatively easy to get it back on the lineup, but since this is a last minute sudden change for the block, maybe that would have made it more difficult instead.

I can't really blame them for improvising either. This is a different and unexpected situation for the Toonami crew to deal with. I could still see them getting a new show once SAO wraps up, if only because they possibly could have already set it up earlier, but it would depend on whether or not it was another simuldub. I kind of wish that they would get some of the other semi-recent series that have already been dubbed, but that might also be more difficult to do compared to reruns and marathons.

As far as classic Toonami shows, I'm pretty sure that they'll bring back Cowboy Bebop and either DBZ Kai or Dragon Ball Super. As overplayed as most of those series are, they do appeal to the general audience, especially DBZ Kai, and they could be easier to get too. I'd absolutely love it if they played Trigun though. They haven't aired the series in ages and I'd love to see it again. I haven't seen it since Funimation had their On Demand section, which I still miss, so that would be neat. YYH would also be interesting since I haven't seen it before and it would be nice to have the full series air on Toonami. Having some longer reruns might also help them out in a way since it's hard to say when the simuldubs will resume at this point.

Reactions: RDG

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
It's weird that Demarco was much more upfront about One Piece flopping and that it was cancelled. When Boruto was replaced with JoJo, it seemed to be heavily implied that it was a temporary hiatus.

Apr 17, 2011
Wherever You Are ;)
www.toonzone.net
Curious thought, is though delays are obvious, I wonder in the case of something like Shippuden that has since been completely dubbed, if they only have x-amount of 'tapes' to use, even if the episodes are only fresh to Toonami/US television, there could be the chance that gets delayed too unless they have enough to keep going.

Going along with filling in the gaps, I wonder if they simply move Kai back to Toonami (while keeping its current run) and just let comedy have the 8pm hour until they're able to get back into the swing of things. An hour of Kai, though I'd prefer it not lead the block of could help the gap with other shows so they wouldn't have to get as much back (by one show), cause I wouldn't see why more or less has to go in it playing on Toonami vs [as] proper, especially when it looks like they're keeping it on for an hour a good while. If not a Kai hour, they can still do that and a Super episode about the middle portion, depending on any schedule shuffling they may choose to do.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
It's weird that Demarco was much more upfront about One Piece flopping and that it was cancelled. When Boruto was replaced with JoJo, it seemed to be heavily implied that it was a temporary hiatus.
Yeah, when Boruto was replaced, I got the impression that it was mainly due to wanting to have a bit more room on the lineup to play with different shows and that it would eventually come back. Since One Piece is a bigger series than Boruto and a lot of fans would get upset over it not getting to air on TV again, maybe that made him more upfront with the situation. Either that or their plans for Boruto changed since he made that earlier explanation.

wjbraden

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
Huh, there goes my Boruto theory. I'm guessing high licensing costs, and maybe low streaming numbers are to blame.

Well, whatever they do, you can bet that Dragon Ball Super will be added back into the mix somehow, since they're going to be digging into their catalog.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Apr 12, 2016
I know Boruto is not coming back to Toonami but I know the DVD/Bluray Set 5 of Boruto Naruto Next Generations is releasing in April 21st 2020.

TheCartoonRailfan

Riding the Rails
Aug 12, 2019
Florida
For the classic reruns, I would love to see Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, and The Big O coming back on Toonami. Unfortunately, Cartoon Network doesn't own the broadcasting rights to these series, and all shows are readily available on Funimation and Hulu. Toonami would probably air something a little more recent like Tenchi Muyo GXP, Kill la Kill, Akame ga Kill!, and Samurai Champloo. It would be a great idea to bring back the classic series just to show what Toonami looked like in the 2000's.

veemonjosh

All That Glitters Ain't Gold
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
I will caution that "classic" may not mean a really old show, but actually be shorthand for "whatever we've aired in the past and still have airing rights to". Looking at Adult Swim's website, these are the titles they still have that aren't airing on the block right now:

• Attack on Titan (seasons 1-3; most recent rerun ended on episode 15 of season 1)
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Dragon Ball Super
  • Dragon Ball Z Kai (currently airing in the 8pm hour)
  • Fire Force
  • FLCL (seasons 1-3, perpetual rights to seasons 2 and 3)
  • genLOCK
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (seasons 1 and 2, perpetual rights)
  • Hunter x Hunter (episodes 96-148)
  • Lupin the Third (Parts 4 and 5)
  • One-Punch Man (seasons 1 and 2)
  • Pop Team Epic
  • The Promised Neverland (rerun ended on episode 8)
  • Samurai Jack (seasons 1-5, perpetual rights, currently airing in the 3am hour)
They also have perpetual rights to IGPX and The Big O season 2, and may still have Space Dandy.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
Time to bring back the "classic rerun" portion of the Toonami block. Please don't let it be Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, or Outlaw Star. Or frankly Dragon Ball Super or Samurai Jack. PLEASE?!?
To add to that list... Attack on Titan, at least season 1. Every time they bring that show back in a rerun slot, it's ALWAYS season 1...and they never finish it.
I'd like to see them try season 2 or 3 again, just to spice it up. Skip ahead a bit in preparation for the eventual season 4.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
I will caution that "classic" may not mean a really old show, but actually be shorthand for "whatever we've aired in the past and still have airing rights to". Looking at Adult Swim's website, these are the titles they still have that aren't airing on the block right now:

They also have perpetual rights to IGPX and The Big O season 2, and may still have Space Dandy.
Of that list, I'd take FLCL and Lupin again. And Space Dandy would be great if they can swing broadcasting that one again. EDIT: I can see them finishing the reruns of "The Promised Neverland".

To add to that list... Attack on Titan, at least season 1. Every time they bring that show back in a rerun slot, it's ALWAYS season 1...and they never finish it.
I'd like to see them try season 2 or 3 again, just to spice it up. Skip ahead a bit in preparation for the eventual season 4.
Agreed. If you're going to do Attack on Titan, PLEASE not Season 1 again. How many times must Eren's mother die?!?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Out of that list, I'd be up for seeing The Promised Neverland and Lupin. I'd prefer Part 5 over Part 4, but rewatching Part 4 after being more familiar with the characters might improve it a bit for me, especially when I was surprised with how much I ended up liking Part 5. One Punch Man seems pretty likely and it would be interesting to rewatch both seasons. IGPX would be pretty cool since I really enjoyed watching it and I do think that it's underrated. If they could get both seasons of Big O, I'd b up for watching it. That's another Adult Swim classic that I never watched before.

In terms of other long shots, I'd be interested in watching Code Geass. I know that it aired on Adult Swim before, but I never saw much of it beyond a few clips. It seems pretty unlikely to happen, especially when this is more of a last minute/emergency change for the block, but it would be nice for Toonami to show some older titles that haven't aired in awhile or at all.

Reactions: wonderfly
Apr 17, 2011
Wherever You Are ;)
www.toonzone.net
Well looks like a marathon it's airing on April 11th
Interesting choice in going with DBZ Kai for what ends up being their first Easter weekend marathon. Curious if they'll speed up the current run or they just choose a different batch of episodes - and if they still have it on at 8 that night.

Image shows the current 11:30-3:00 whereas text has it end at 3:30. I wonder which one the oops is. I'm thinking the text, but ey, could get an Easter egg that night for an extra 30.

veemonjosh

All That Glitters Ain't Gold
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
Really hoping this is a "best of" marathon and not just 8 consecutive episodes. This is (I think) the first time they've done a marathon for a show that's not currently part of the block, so they don't have an obligation to show the episodes in order or even from the same part of the series.

Make the best of a bad situation and go crazy with it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I've seen some speculation a MHA season 5 announcement is coming soon in Japan. Does that sound about right? But even so, I guess they'd have to record the English dub remotely? So that'd be a late 2020 debut on Toonami at best?

wjbraden

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
They've never done an Easter Marathon before, but now would certainly be the time to do one as a buffer, considering we've only got 3 dubbed episodes of MHA left.
Do I get an internet cookie for my guess, lol.

Really hoping this is a "best of" marathon and not just 8 consecutive episodes. This is (I think) the first time they've done a marathon for a show that's not currently part of the block, so they don't have an obligation to show the episodes in order or even from the same part of the series.
Make the best of a bad situation and go crazy with it.
Well the the image they used is promo art from The Final Chapters, if that means anything.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I've seen some speculation a MHA season 5 announcement is coming soon in Japan. Does that sound about right? But even so, I guess they'd have to record the English dub remotely? So that'd be a late 2020 debut on Toonami at best?
I think that there's only a couple of episodes left before season four ends, so an announcement for season five is pretty likely to come out within the next few weeks. As for when it could air on Toonami, a lot of it depends on if they can work on the rest of season four at their homes. I'm not sure if all of the voice actors would have the same recording equipment to make the audio consistent. It also really depends on how the whole situation with the virus plays out. It still might premiere earlier this year on Toonami, but that would also depend on if the virus would affect the production for season five in Japan.

A DBZ Kai marathon was practically guaranteed to happen. Being more experimental with the marathon and using it as a best of DBZ Kai episode selection would be interesting, but I'm not sure how likely that is compared to just getting eight episodes playing back to back from each other.

Reactions: Yojimbo