"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
There's a part 2? :sad:

War of the Underworld is split cour like Attack on Titan season 3. Speaking of which, cour one only has I think two episodes left and there's no hype or speculation of a replacement show. I guess all the slot cuts have gotten people to not expect anything even though we are promised goodies down the pipeline.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
War of the Underworld is split cour like Attack on Titan season 3. Speaking of which, cour one only has I think two episodes left and there's no hype or speculation of a replacement show. I guess all the slot cuts have gotten people to not expect anything even though we are promised goodies down the pipeline.
Yes, looks like 2 episodes left and Part 2 is set for April 25 in Japan.

wjbraden

I know people will groan, but I'm thinking SAO's replacement will be Boruto. Demon Slayer's replacement I'm not so sure of, but if it's a simuldub show, that's going to be out of the cards for a long while, I reckon. Something like Mob Psycho 2 would be nice if they need a backup.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Boruto would be potentially an easy replacement for SAO. It would depend on how expensive it is, but I'm sure that Viz has plenty of dub episodes ready to air by now. We still have a few episodes before Demon Slayer's first season wraps up, so it will probably be awhile before we learn what show will replace it on the lineup.

Reactions: RDG

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Depending on the delays, a couple marathons here and there couldn't hurt. I don't recall one during Easter weekend before, which this year is Sunday April 12th, so they could play it safe so to speak and do a marathon the night of the 11th, with the next marathon taking place Memorial Day weekend. Even if a portion of MHA S4 reran in the 8pm hour before now, they could still do that one for a potential good night rerun-wise.

Dare I say/suggest, they could do one for Shippuden and speed that one a lil, cause it's still going to be a good while before it ends anyway - or they just not, to still have a secure spot for only an additional 6 weeks given we're only doing seven shows right now - but then still having its delays anyway for other marathons, which to me suggests they can't necessarily lose ground trying it.

Expenses are in the back of my mind for each thought.

Reactions: RDG

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
One show from the current season that I'd love to see on Toonami: Bofuri.

Some of the reasons why I feel that way:
  • It gives the SAO fans something to watch while they wait for the second half of their series (as Bofuri is also VRMMORPG-themed);
  • It's been a huge hit on r/anime (with episode discussions reaching 1,000 posts);
  • It has some truly awesome action scenes;
  • There's a lot of likeable characters in the show.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

Funimation at least has 8 episodes of it dubbed. I don't know if that's enough of a cushion. Toonami seems to have only aired SAO and not any other MMO based anime like Log Horizon. Maybe if they can't air a simuldub, they can air something they passed up on in the last decade, like the aformentioned Log Horizon.

Zorak Masaki

If Jojo or SAO get stopped, they could start the shows over again from the beginning, it's not like they're too old, and it could be a good way for curious fans to check them out for the first time so that when they go back up, they'll be caught up.

I thought he was referring to War of the Underworld part II which won't even air in Japan until April 25th.

Correct, thank you for clarifying. Since the length between the Japanese and dub premieres for SAO were getting shorter with each season I assumed the same would happen with War for the Underworld part 2. But due to the Corona Virus it may be awhile before Aniplex can have the episodes ready to air for Toonami.

I'm curious if Uzumaki and any other exclusive Toonami series they had planned for this year will be pushed back to 2021 due to the virus.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
If Jojo or SAO get stopped, they could start the shows over again from the beginning, it's not like they're too old, and it could be a good way for curious fans to check them out for the first time so that when they go back up, they'll be caught up.

With only two episodes left, they'll at least finish this cour. If JoJo's dub goes on hiatus, they probably won't air parts 1-4 as they'd have to pay a separate license. Part 5 would probably restart instead.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Watch, Viz'll quickly whip up a dubbed version of Part 5's recap specials as a stopgap.

(But really, they'd probably just rewind it X number of episodes like what happened back when they caught up with the Bleach dub.)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I think we can confirm that Demon Slayer will finish on Toonami without delay thanks to the above article. SAO War of the Underworld's first cour is also almost guaranteed to finish without delay as there are only two episodes left. Black Clover and Food Wars have a significant cushion behind the Funimation or Hi-Dive streams. That leaves MHA and JoJo with the highest possibility of a hiatus on Toonami. MHA will very likely run out of dubbed new episodes and JoJo's near future is the most uncertain.

wjbraden

Depending on the delays, a couple marathons here and there couldn't hurt. I don't recall one during Easter weekend before, which this year is Sunday April 12th, so they could play it safe so to speak and do a marathon the night of the 11th, with the next marathon taking place Memorial Day weekend. Even if a portion of MHA S4 reran in the 8pm hour before now, they could still do that one for a potential good night rerun-wise.

Dare I say/suggest, they could do one for Shippuden and speed that one a lil, cause it's still going to be a good while before it ends anyway - or they just not, to still have a secure spot for only an additional 6 weeks given we're only doing seven shows right now - but then still having its delays anyway for other marathons, which to me suggests they can't necessarily lose ground trying it.

Expenses are in the back of my mind for each thought.
They've never done an Easter Marathon before, but now would certainly be the time to do one as a buffer, considering we've only got 3 dubbed episodes of MHA left.

Watch, Viz'll quickly whip up a dubbed version of Part 5's recap specials as a stopgap.

(But really, they'd probably just rewind it X number of episodes like what happened back when they caught up with the Bleach dub.)
The rule of thumb is that ".5" episodes don't usually get licensed, but if Viz has them and Toonami can snag them, it'd be an excellent idea. Someone should tweet some of the dub producers and ask them if it's possible.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I figured that Demon Slayer wouldn't have delays. With only a handful of episodes left, I assumed that they had already finished at least recording the dialogue. I assumed the same for Jojo since the series finished airing in Japan awhile ago, but I'm less familiar with how many episodes are left in Part 5, so it could be at a bigger risk of being put on hold than I initially thought.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
JoJo Part 5 has the same number of episodes as Part 4 (39 episodes), and we're at the halfway mark right now.

Not sure how far Viz has gotten into the dub at this point, or if they've even gone on hiatus like FUNi has. That series is up in the air at the moment.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Demarco just spoke about current issues. Toonami is not planning on bringing Boruto back.

Also, we will get marathons, but also possibly special programming like playing classic shows. I hope this isn't just Bebop reruns and we get YuYu Hakusho for a week or something. He says it will affect several Toonami shows, which I deduce are MHA, JoJo, and maybe Black Clover even though it's far ahead. We still haven't heard about SAO's replacement, and I guess it will probably be a slot cut or rerun.

As for what specifically is planned for after MHA catches up, he does not know. Sounds like they are just improvising.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts