"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Last year, all the good stuff came out in the second half of the year. I'm guessing that could repeat this year. Mob Psycho 100 probably won't come based on how much time there's been. I wouldn't recommend waiting for any Crunchyroll title to come to Toonami based on how hard it is to acquire titles from them. Mob Psycho 100 is still one of the best action anime of the decade and I'd recommend any action anime fan to stream it right now.
Hmm. So this Crunchyroll site is the only place to legally pay for and stream Mob season 2 or is there other sites?

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Hmm. So this Crunchyroll site is the only place to legally pay for and stream Mob season 2 or is there other sites?
You only have to pay for the latest episode of any show and Mob season 2 ended a while ago. Everything else is free and there are hours and hours of content. Most of it is subbed, but a few shows, like Mob, are dubs. I don't know why I would want to pay for Crunchyroll as I was willing to be a week behind while watching Shield Hero.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
You only have to pay for the latest episode of any show and Mob season 2 ended a while ago. Everything else is free and there are hours and hours of content. Most of it is subbed, but a few shows, like Mob, are dubs. I don't know why I would want to pay for Crunchyroll as I was willing to be a week behind while watching Shield Hero.
Cool. Good to know. Thanks.

CNC

Jan 30, 2020
Someplace, USA
Because Toonami is being shortened on February 22 and it'll start 30 minutes later, here's what the pre-Toonami schedule will look like for [adult swim]:

20:00 - My Hero Academia
20:30 - My Hero Academia
21:00 - Bob's Burgers
21:30 - Bob's Burgers
22:00 - American Dad!
22:30 - Family Guy
23:00 - Family Guy

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
I hope those six shows they're producing didn't take a huge chunk of their overall budget. Samurai Jack season 5 & Space Dandy did well for them but others like IGPX, Megas XLR, and the FLCL sequels did poorly or simply okay in the ratings. There's a good chance the same will happen in the future with one or two the new series doing good but the others not really being worth the investment. I only enjoyed two of the series they produced so I would prefer if they put their funds towards licensing more anime.

wjbraden

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
So as expected, budget was the main reason for this reduction. To be honest, it was pretty unsustainable to have 9-10 premieres at the same time. That, on top of the Forge, the 6 original series they're working on, less ad revenue from lower live TV numbers, etc. had to have put a damper on things.

That being said, if budget was such an issue, they really should have spread out their premieres better for last Fall, and held off on running some shows until the new year and when more earlier slots came available (like Golden Wind for example, which has had a lot of wasted potential airing at 2:30; it likely would have been a lot better for their budget and ratings if they would have held off airing it when One Punch Man, or Fire Force ended.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016

TOM and Sara were at the Crunchyroll anime awards and shows that aired on Toonami dominated. Demon Slayer was anime of the year, Senku was best protagonist, Isabella was best villain, Tanjiro was best boy, Attack on Titan director Tetsuro Araki was best director, best fight went to a Demon Slayer fight, and Promised Neverland won best fantasy. Toonami and Crunchyroll at least are willing to cross promote, but it looks like Crunchyroll won't give Toonami any of its shows. The long awaited season 2 dub of Konosuba is about to come out and having both seasons be the Dr. Stone replacement would have been awesome. The slot cut is probably because Toonami can't access so many AAA anime like the Crunchyroll series. Just stream Konosuba already and don't wait for the Toonami airing.

In other news, Black Clover is getting dang close to catching up with the manga and I wonder if filler hell or going the Fairy Tail route and havinga hiatus is what will happen? Maybe Black Clover won't be a perma slot as it first appeared. Toonami is 15 or so episodes behind the Japanese broadcast, so it would be a while before the slot possibly opens.

veemonjosh

All That Glitters Ain't Gold
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
God, I hope Black Clover takes a break. In this day and age, the concept of a continuous anime production based on an ongoing manga is a dying concept, and for good reason. I'll excuse Toei for continuing to do it with One Piece (though as a One Piece fan, the glacial pacing of the anime due to their refusal to do actual filler arcs is disgusting), but Studio Pierrot continuing to do so with Boruto and Black Clover is baffling, especially when all their Shonen Jump contemporaries (MHA, Dr Stone, Promised Neverland, Demon Slayer, etc) have gone the seasonal route.

Give the source material some breathing room.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I can understand why Studio Pierrot would want to keep Boruto as an on-going series. Since the manga is monthly, I'm not sure if there would be a lot for them to adapt and from what I understand, the Boruto anime is pretty different from the manga. Plus, it helps to keep the Naruto franchise going. Despite the complaints for the amount of filler in Shippuden, I assume that it did well enough financially for them to keep the series going even after the manga ended. It still might not be good, especially when it doesn't give fans time to miss Naruto if they've been going practically nonstop for years, but I could understand the possible reasons why they'd go that route.

Black Clover is a different story though. I assume that it is faithful to the manga, so I'm kind of surprised that they haven't caught up to the source material sooner, especially if they hadn't had any filler arcs. Since the manga weekly, it just seem stranger to make it an on-going series as opposed to a seasonal series. It gives the production team potentially less stress and it gives the source material a chance to tell more arcs for the anime to adapt later on. I love My Hero Academia, but they would have had to stretch out the arcs quite a bit to keep it as an on-going series as opposed to a seasonal anime. I guess that either Black Clover was more popular in Japan than I realize to warrant that kind of material or Studio Pierrot is still trying to get another popular series after Bleach ended.

Reactions: Lawren22 and RDG
Jan 16, 2018
OMG yes! They all look like they would be perfect to air on Toonami. Just from watching the trailer these shows look amazingly awesome!

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Only In/Spectre is streaming and sub only. Don't know how many of them are going to have dubs. It feels like only recently that Crunchyroll is shedding its status as the sub snob streaming service for anime. I doubt these will air as it was pulling teeth to get Mob Psycho 100 season 2 and the hyped trinity of Re:Zero, Shield Hero, and Konosuba also never aired. The Crunchyroll original label seems to indicate they don't want to give it to the competition. Still, they are probably more likely to get a dub than Vinland Saga.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Sep 3, 2006
Kansas
nachosconcarne.com
God, I hope Black Clover takes a break. In this day and age, the concept of a continuous anime production based on an ongoing manga is a dying concept, and for good reason. I'll excuse Toei for continuing to do it with One Piece (though as a One Piece fan, the glacial pacing of the anime due to their refusal to do actual filler arcs is disgusting), but Studio Pierrot continuing to do so with Boruto and Black Clover is baffling, especially when all their Shonen Jump contemporaries (MHA, Dr Stone, Promised Neverland, Demon Slayer, etc) have gone the seasonal route.

Give the source material some breathing room.
If it means fewer seemingly endless stretches of unwatchable filler, I'm all for it.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
So if I'm understanding right, this is the schedule now:

10:30 My Hero Academia
11:00 Sword Art Online Alicization
11:30 Demon Slayer
12:00 Food Wars!
12:30 Black Clover
1:00 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
1:30 Naruto Shippuden

At first, I don't mind the block being shorter, but then I see an hour of Primal and Samurai Jack on after that. Why can't they be part of the Toonami line-up again? I'd love for a "retro" block to come back at the end of the block, and Samurai Jack as the final show in a retro block would be delightful.

No Dragon Ball on Toonami. This is a strange era for the block.

Reactions: RDG

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Oct 2, 2014
Bedford, OH
twitter.com
So if I'm understanding right, this is the schedule now:

10:30 My Hero Academia
11:00 Sword Art Online Alicization
11:30 Demon Slayer
12:00 Food Wars!
12:30 Black Clover
1:00 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
1:30 Naruto Shippuden

At first, I don't mind the block being shorter, but then I see an hour of Primal and Samurai Jack on after that. Why can't they be part of the Toonami line-up again? I'd love for a "retro" block to come back at the end of the block, and Samurai Jack as the final show in a retro block would be delightful.

No Dragon Ball on Toonami. This is a strange era for the block.
No DB on Adult Swim in general, either