"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

wjbraden

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
Can we PLEASE get Mob Psycho season 2

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
With the Mob II dub currently being released weekly on Crunchyroll, it seems that they want to have it be an exclusive for a while, at least until the whole season is released (which should be by the end of the month, I think). I think Crunchy's following the model Funimation has been doing (minus legacy titles like AOT and DB), and don't like having dub premieres on Toonami first, so they can promote their platforms (which sucks for Toonami, but it is what it is).

So I'm sure Mob II will show up, I'm just not sure when. Who knows, maybe it'll SAO's replacement.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
With the reception Toonami has been getting, I wonder what CN/AS will do. People want the block to be around even though people can get their anime elsewhere now at their own convenience.

Guess who coming to Toonami? Toonami and Rooster Teeth are proud to announce gen:Lock is coming to Toonami on August 3rd.
With WarnerMedia aiming for more corporate synergy, I knew it’d be a matter of time. I hope viewers like it (I doubt it). I haven’t seen though.
I figured they’d do RWBY as well but the first season looks so....horrible, and the pacing overall is just bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
I know this sounds crazy, but Gen:Lock may just be the show that can actually surpass Super in the ratings. It has David Tennant from Doctor Who and Michael B. Jordan from Black Panther. If they plaster David Tennant and Michael B. Jordan's names all over advertising, it could be a huge ratings winner.

Toonami has had a few dubs that aren't available elsewhere. They aired the JoJo, HunterXHunter, SAO, Promised Neverland, and Lupin dubs, which aren't streaming anywhere. Toonami still has a place for Viz/Aniplex dub watchers. I'll give Toonami props for airing those dubs.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I knew that Michael B. Jordan was in Gen:LOCK, but I didn't know about David Tennant. Emphasizing those actors in the promo for the series premiere could potentially help create more of an audience for the series.

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
Ok, seriously, this is getting ridiculous. SAO has its mid-season finale tomorrow and we still have no idea what's happening the week after. We know what's replacing AoT after the end of the month, but not what's replacing a show ending in about 36 hours from the time of this post.

At this point I'd accept a schedule update involving a half hour being dropped or a rerun being added, I just want something other than radio silence.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Remember that time that Samurai Champloo reruns were announced at the literal last minute on air (Fujiko Mine anime was rejected due to nipples). I think that Toonami is really struggling to get shows probably because of streaming rights and a drastically reduced budget.

Reactions: Yojimbo

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Since it sounds like some of their planned shows for the block fell through, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some reruns to replace SAO on the block. It's also possible that it could be a show from Crunchyroll. I remember Mob Psycho 100 wasn't announced until the Saturday before it premiered, so it's possible something like that is happening again. But I'm leading towards a rerun at the moment.

Reactions: Yojimbo and RDG

wjbraden

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
I'm thinking it is/was Mob II or a Crunchyroll title, but they're having paperwork issues again. It could also have to do with Jason and crew being on vacation this whole week, but still, if bureaucracy is the case here, this partnership is going over like a lead balloon.

@PicardMan Actually, Champloo was announced a few weeks ahead of time if I recall. Tenchi Muyo GXP has been the only title announced on air for Toonami 2.0, I think. Maybe they're going that route again for whatever reason?

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
Tenchi Muyo GXP has been the only title announced on air for Toonami 2.0, I think.
They also announced Samurai 7 and Eureka Seven on-air as well. I still remember how the promo they ran promoting both completely blindsided everyone, since we still didn't know what to expect from the new Toonami (they were the first two shows to be added after the initial lineup).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
So if no one else plans on doing a Food Wars talkback, should I just do a season talkback thread?

EDIT: Guess I'll take the silence as an answer...

Last edited:

Anyone00

The Moltar-Snork
Jan 9, 2002
Mississippi
With Food Wars being a cheesecake fan-service'y lifestyle/hobby show does that mean "How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? " or "Plus Sized Elf" (if and when that get's an anime adaptation) are possibilities to air on Toonami.

veemonjosh

Bites the Dust
Sep 30, 2005
The Grid
So, assuming Demarco didn't make typos, he revealed (in response to some random person who didn't know Toonami is still around) part of what the new schedule may look like. Dropping 3:30, Gundam moves up to 1am, and "the rest you can look up for yourself". Apparently he has no idea that nobody outside of Adult Swim actually has the new schedule.

Reactions: RDG

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
Might as well make a series talkback for Gundam The Origin as well, since no one made a talkback for tonight's episode.
Yikes, I didn't even notice! Has interest in Gundam dropped that much? Anyway, I'll have the talkback up later.

EDIT: Oh, whoops, never mind, already taken care of.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
So, assuming Demarco didn't make typos, he revealed (in response to some random person who didn't know Toonami is still around) part of what the new schedule may look like. Dropping 3:30, Gundam moves up to 1am, and "the rest you can look up for yourself". Apparently he has no idea that nobody outside of Adult Swim actually has the new schedule.

Wow. That's pretty awful. Either there is some communication problems within the Toonami crew or they really don't know how to promote their schedules anymore. It's probably both. Fortunately, telling someone to look the rest up themselves doesn't come off as dismissive, at least not to me, but it does make him look extremely clueless if they haven't released a new schedule online yet. Interestingly enough, I was thinking about how strange that they didn't mention that The Promised Neverland or SAO were airing their season finales in their last promos. I think that this would be more like the mid season finale for SAO since it's on break right now, but they kind of avoided saying that The Promised Neverland was airing its season finale too. It's a pretty minor detail all things considered, but I think it does contribute to the poor promotion issue the block has had for awhile.

I have no idea why they're moving Gundam up to 1AM. It is a better timeslot, but it just seems random. I can only hope that My Hero Academia got a better timeslot in this supposed new schedule, but I might be hoping for too much. This kind of messy inconsistent lineup really doesn't help with my souring feelings on Toonami. This is also a big reason why the whole "everyone who is upset should have been watching" logic doesn't really work.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Okay. I was curious as to what was going to happen. I was so burned out and fatigued from being part of 3 (yes 3) panels at Tokyo in Tulsa that were back to back to back so I was super worn out and left in the dark of what happened. Anyway, I was shocked at the only current Toonami show cosplays were Dragonball Super and Attack on Titan related (yes there also HunterXHunter and JoJos, but those shows don't air any more.) There was mostly cosplay of isekai stuff. Shocked to see a surprisingly high number of Fairy Tail people, but absolutely no Black Clover people. Of course, a tiny-ish 10,000 person con near the Oklahoma/Missouri border doesn't necessarily represent the anime audience as a whole, but it does feel like every Big XII region con I've been to has pretty similar tastes. My experiences with cons makes me wonder about Toonami.

Not that surprised we are losing a slot. Gundam's promotion is kinda a shock, but Food Wars and Lupin's flopping does explain why they would want to experiment with whatever they have left. The fact that not even Demarco knows what the new schedule is is alarming. So much mismanagement seems to be going on.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Okay. I was curious as to what was going to happen. I was so burned out and fatigued from being part of 3 (yes 3) panels at Tokyo in Tulsa that were back to back to back so I was super worn out and left in the dark of what happened. Anyway, I was shocked at the only current Toonami show cosplays were Dragonball Super and Attack on Titan related (yes there also HunterXHunter and JoJos, but those shows don't air any more.) There was mostly cosplay of isekai stuff. Shocked to see a surprisingly high number of Fairy Tail people, but absolutely no Black Clover people. Of course, a tiny-ish 10,000 person con near the Oklahoma/Missouri border doesn't necessarily represent the anime audience as a whole, but it does feel like every Big XII region con I've been to has pretty similar tastes. My experiences with cons makes me wonder about Toonami.
Fairy Tail's last season is still airing, so that might have increased its popularity a bit, at least among cosplayers, but that is still surprising to hear. I thought that the series' popularity had decreased ages ago. I'm not surprised by the lack of Black Clover cosplay. Even though the anime is on-going, I don't think it became a huge fan favorite or hit series, at least in the U.S. I don't really hear a lot about Black Clover compared to some other recent Shonen Jump series and it doesn't sound like the anime really took U.S. audiences by storm either.

[quote="PicardMan"}Not that surprised we are losing a slot. Gundam's promotion is kinda a shock, but Food Wars and Lupin's flopping does explain why they would want to experiment with whatever they have left. The fact that not even Demarco knows what the new schedule is is alarming. So much mismanagement seems to be going on.
[/QUOTE]

It sounds more like he thought that the new schedule was readily available instead of not knowing what it is. Still, I agree that the mismanagement is quite alarming. I can understand not being aware of what is cut for the TV airings, but they should know wheather or not the new schedule has been released online.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
USA
Visit site
Not that surprised we are losing a slot. Gundam's promotion is kinda a shock, but Food Wars and Lupin's flopping does explain why they would want to experiment with whatever they have left. The fact that not even Demarco knows what the new schedule is is alarming. So much mismanagement seems to be going on.
I hope they don't move around Lupin again. That's the only show I'm actually following every week.