"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Aug 25, 2002
somewhere
Really? I could have sworn that I saw promos for new Super episodes more recently than a month ago. I could easily be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that they were still airing Super promos.
They have aired general promos of Super but the last next episode promo was for episode 113, which was over a month ago. I double-checked a YouTube channel that uploads Toonami promos to be sure about it.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
I think we're watching completely two different shows if that's your main takeaway of My Hero Academia, especially with the characters. Midoriya is a sensitive character, but claiming that's always crying or on the verge of tears is such a huge exaggeration at best. I've heard that complaint before, but it always confuses me. I've also never really had a problem with the pacing or the battles. I can understand the pacing issue a bit more, especially when this is still a long running shonen series even though they're taking the seasonal format approach for it, but it doesn't seem that noticeable for me. Admittedly, it does help that I'm fully engaged with the series' storyline and find most of the characters pretty likable, but that wouldn't negate something like pacing issues completely. I like Hunter x Hunter and found most of the characters to be likable/interesting, but the pacing was still absolutely awful for a good chuck of the series.

I think that My Hero Academia is an example of a shonen series done extremely well. I'm not sure if it does anything really ground breaking within the genre, but it does a solid job with its execution, has likable characters, has good battles and the emotional scenes feel well earned. A series doesn't have to reinvent the wheel in order to stand out or be good. I don't see how it's any worse than Black Clover, which is basically just a generic, boring poorly done shonen series full of annoying and unlikable characters in my opinion. I couldn't even make it through the first season of that series.
Except that the series is still successful. It isn't just online hype and social media responses. My Hero Academia's movie Two Heroes did pretty well during its run in theaters. It was a limited release just like with nearly every other anime movie nowadays, but I believe it was among the top selling movies Funimation had released. Granted, that might have changed due to the Broly movie's success, but that still shows that the anime is popular and successful. I'm not sure how well the DVD sets do, but for what it's worth, the manga seems to sell pretty well.
That's a big reason why I don't think that this is a fantastic decision by the Toonami crew or that they should have stuck to their decision to push the series down the lineup a few months ago. My Hero Academia is still a successful and popular franchise in the U.S. and the ratings, from our end at least, didn't really indicate that it was doing poorly or even struggling to maintain an audience. They also didn't even bother to further promote the series or give promos for their new schedule to indicate that the series was airing at a new timeslot. If they wanted more people to watch My Hero Academia, the solution should have been to give it better promotion, not put it in a deathslot where even fewer people will be able to watch it live. At the very least, moving it to the middle of the block like at 12:30AM or 1AM would have been a much more reasonable downgrade than going from 10:30PM to 3:30AM is.
Might be confusing it for a different superhero series because everything I’ve seen so far of MHA is atrocious. The MC always has tears in his eyes whether its saving someone, thanking others, fighting, or giving a speech. It’s not that unusual to see a young anime protagonist cry but it's almost seems like a running joke how frequently it occurs in MHA. That’s not an exaggeration when there’s plenty of videos on Youtube showing it happening for minutes on end. Here’s one example from a few scenes in season one alone:
The battles are far too repetitive. Most fights are characters spamming the exact same move until they decide to finally add more power to the technique or they get exhausted and the opponent takes advantage. It’s even worse during the MC’s matches because he the viewer has to sit through him inner monologuing about what he's going to do next when he only has a few actual options. The fights would be more interesting if each character had more than 1-3 techniques at their disposal.

Despite the series having short seasons it suffers from the same pacing problems of long running weekly anime. They only adapt 1 ½ to 2 chapters per episode so there’s still an unnecessary amount of flashbacks, inner monologue, and exposition. It also runs into the frequent shonen trap of having dozens upon dozens of characters but only a fraction of them get any significant backstory or development. The majority are so bland and have little bearing on the overall plot that it's hard to recall their abilities let alone their names. There’s also far too much tell and not enough show with the motivation, history, and relationships of the pro heroes and villains. This is one of those anime where filler and divergence from the source material could possibly be a benefit more than a hindrance. Fleshing out characters and giving them more to do so that the typical shonen flaws aren’t so egregious.

I was referring too the success or lack thereof for toonami. Most show they air have some type of success outside of adult swim whether it be manga, home video, streaming, videogames, or television in other regions. Similar to One PIece which is one of the most successful series of all time but underperformed when it came to toonami viewership. They most likely take into account the cost of acquisitions, key demographics, adult swim online streaming numbers, and adult swim on demand views. The amount of social media buzz and how well a series does outside those metrics has no bearing on Toonami ratings.

This series appeared to do well on Toonami when it first started but gradually went down as time passed. Some of that is partly due to the decline of ratings for the toonami block overall but it's also because some viewers quit the series part way through like I did. I couldn’t make it past the first 30 episodes and most of those were hard to sit through. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the ratings it did receive over its run was due to a large amount of people waiting for Super to come on or leaving it on the channel after Super ends while they did something else. Put almost any other anime in the pre or post Super slot and the ratings would probably be better if not the same. Adult Swim airing promos for a show that airs new episodes nearly every week is pointless after a period of time. There’s plenty of networks that give their shows promotion throughout the day but viewership never increases. After a certain amount of seasons/episodes most people already know if they want to start or continue a series.

JShaggy

You Serious?!
Mar 23, 2003
Tennessee
Apologies for the lateness of this. Forgot to upload them prior to going out of time.

Here are the talkback images for Food Wars! and Gundam: The Origin.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
They have aired general promos of Super but the last next episode promo was for episode 113, which was over a month ago. I double-checked a YouTube channel that uploads Toonami promos to be sure about it.
I could have sworn that I saw a next episode promo sooner than that, but I must have been mistaken.

Might be confusing it for a different superhero series because everything I’ve seen so far of MHA is atrocious. The MC always has tears in his eyes whether its saving someone, thanking others, fighting, or giving a speech. It’s not that unusual to see a young anime protagonist cry but it's almost seems like a running joke how frequently it occurs in MHA. That’s not an exaggeration when there’s plenty of videos on Youtube showing it happening for minutes on end. Here’s one example from a few scenes in season one alone:
Honestly, that still feels like an exaggeration to me, especially when Midoriya crying never really felt like it went overboard. They used it for comedy relief, but not too often and most of the other times he's cried has been during intense/emotional scenes to where it feels justified. It never crossed a point to me where it felt ridiculous, that he was just being whiny or I couldn't take him seriously. They established that he was a sensitive kid from the start and years of being bullied can definitely make people more sensitive too.

Terror of Death said:
The battles are far too repetitive. Most fights are characters spamming the exact same move until they decide to finally add more power to the technique or they get exhausted and the opponent takes advantage. It’s even worse during the MC’s matches because he the viewer has to sit through him inner monologuing about what he's going to do next when he only has a few actual options. The fights would be more interesting if each character had more than 1-3 techniques at their disposal.
I can kind of understand the issue in regard to the lack of techniques, but at the same time, the characters are heroes in training. It makes sense that they wouldn't have a wide variety of moves to choose from. I haven't noticed the battles being repetitive and Midoriya thinking through what his next moves are never bothered me either. That is part of how he fights and it always made the matches more interesting to me, especially when Midoriya is pretty likable and compelling to me.

Terror of Death said:
Despite the series having short seasons it suffers from the same pacing problems of long running weekly anime. They only adapt 1 ½ to 2 chapters per episode so there’s still an unnecessary amount of flashbacks, inner monologue, and exposition. It also runs into the frequent shonen trap of having dozens upon dozens of characters but only a fraction of them get any significant backstory or development. The majority are so bland and have little bearing on the overall plot that it's hard to recall their abilities let alone their names. There’s also far too much tell and not enough show with the motivation, history, and relationships of the pro heroes and villains. This is one of those anime where filler and divergence from the source material could possibly be a benefit more than a hindrance. Fleshing out characters and giving them more to do so that the typical shonen flaws aren’t so egregious.
The pacing seems to be pretty much fine to me. The only time I thought that the pacing was noticeably slow was during the first season, but that was because a lot of the first few episodes of the season were devoted to introducing the new characters and setting before we even got to UA. The fact that the season was relatively short probably factored into that as well. It might help that I was engaged in the series pretty much instantly, but like I mentioned before, that wouldn't completely negate pacing issues. There are some minor characters within Class 1-A that aren't too memorable, but most of them are at least likable enough to where you do want to see them get a chance to shine. That's one reason why I liked the Final Exam arc and why the current Provisional License arc is pretty appealing. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of bland characters within the cast, but I can see why others would feel differently.

Terror of Death said:
This series appeared to do well on Toonami when it first started but gradually went down as time passed. Some of that is partly due to the decline of ratings for the toonami block overall but it's also because some viewers quit the series part way through like I did. I couldn’t make it past the first 30 episodes and most of those were hard to sit through. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the ratings it did receive over its run was due to a large amount of people waiting for Super to come on or leaving it on the channel after Super ends while they did something else. Put almost any other anime in the pre or post Super slot and the ratings would probably be better if not the same. Adult Swim airing promos for a show that airs new episodes nearly every week is pointless after a period of time. There’s plenty of networks that give their shows promotion throughout the day but viewership never increases. After a certain amount of seasons/episodes most people already know if they want to start or continue a series.
I don't know about that. Despite the official statement by DeMarco, the ratings didn't really seem that bad on our ends at least. The fact that they didn't move the show further down the lineup more gradual like they've done with other series like One Piece is also rather suspicious. I could believe that the ratings weren't strong enough to make up for the cost of the series, but that is different than saying that the ratings weren't good to begin with. I just don't think that the ratings were as bad as they claim that they were and the decision just rubs me the wrong way for multiple reasons.

Besides all that, I just have a hard time believing that a large amount of people felt the same way about the series that you do. It certainly isn't impossible. I have heard some of these complaints about My Hero Academia before, but I would say that these opinions are rather uncommon, if not unpopular. I'm not trying to dismiss your opinions. I disagree with them immensely in almost every area, but you're entitled to your opinion and I can at least understand where you're coming from in a few points. I'm just not sure about the general audience having the same impression of the series. It has a strong following, has been popular pretty much since the anime started at least and the movie also was pretty financially successful. Granted, you can say similar things about One Piece, but as I mentioned earlier, One Piece had bigger disadvantages by comparison. The biggest challenge My Hero Academia had in terms of ratings was how widely available the first two seasons had already been by the time it aired on Toonami.

Interestingly enough, nearly all of your opinions on My Hero Academia could match my own opinions on Black Clover. If you couldn't even sit through thirty episodes of My Hero Academia, I cannot see how sitting through Black Clover would be any easier or more enjoyable by comparison.

Reactions: RDG

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Apr 12, 2016
Guess who coming to Toonami? Toonami and Rooster Teeth are proud to announce gen:Lock is coming to Toonami on August 3rd.

Dan's Revenge

"I studied Soupe de Jours for five years" - Dan
Apr 17, 2011
Wherever You Are ;)
www.toonzone.net
Interesting in a RT pick-up. This is def probably also AoT's replacement with just three episodes left of it and three Toonamis left for July. Wonder if it gets 11:30.

It also appears to be just 8 episodes long for a first season so it'd be done before October with 9 Saturdays between August and September. Not sure they'd do a marathon for Labor Day weekend, but regardless it'd still be over before October.

Also makes me wonder if this is possibly their way of doing something as a mock-filler before something else, without dragging out anything we've already seen to keep the whole block as fresh as possible. I approve either way as we'll have something non-anime to lighten the block.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Attack on Titan actually did do less awful than MHA in the ratings. MHA and Boruto frequently lost 250-300K+ viewers as the post Dragonball show, which is scary, but Titan "only" loses 200K or so. The issue is that the post Dragonball show's ratings are always a big drop, so MHA's bigger than normal drops were harder to recognize. It wasn't good enough for a pre or post Dragonball show in the ratings, but it did do well enough as a third show. That's where I think MHA should be.

Okay, Gen:Lock? Toonami's 2019 picks are the most unpredictable one yet. We are at least getting some Amiercan and mecha shows. I think that the end of Attack on Titan will be the official end of the long runner era and the beginning of the experimental era. We've been transitioning to a new era for a while. I'm just wondering how successful this era will be compared to the era of long running franchises (mostly battle shonen).

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
New York City
I never thought we'd get a Rooster Teeth show. I'd prefer RWBY, but I also understand that RWBY's unconventional runtimes would make that tricky.

But whatever, I've never watched this show before, and I'm always up for more mecha.

Reactions: Lawren22

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
I know Viz had an Anime Expo panel, but I haven't heard any news from it. Curious about when the JoJo: Golden Wind and One Punch Man season 2 dubs will come. Did anything get announced at that panel?

wjbraden

Dec 27, 2010
Ohio
I know Viz had an Anime Expo panel, but I haven't heard any news from it. Curious about when the JoJo: Golden Wind and One Punch Man season 2 dubs will come. Did anything get announced at that panel?
Nope. And with Viz having some of the slowest turnaround in the industry in terms of dubbing, I don't see either of those coming until the tail-end of the year at the earliest.

Another thing to think about with gen:lock is that every episode is of varying lengths, ranging from 23-32 minutes, so I would expect some major cutting and/or expanded timeslots like Hellsing and FLCL episode 6.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I wouldn't be too surprised if they get a Golden Wind dub out there first. One Punch Man's second season didn't seem to be as popular as the first one. I'm sure that Viz will still dub it, but there may not be a desire to get it out there as soon as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Golden Wind sometime late this year or early next year.

Reactions: Yojimbo

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Trying to research what's been happening at Anime Expo, and it's hard to find concrete infos. Looking at what other forums have said, Toonami had a panel, but it sounds like Toonami's approval rating is pretty low. They were supposedly showered with "boos" because of what happened with MHA. Last year's Boruto's announcement got apathy, but this is the first time they had outright boos. I also heard that MHA's panel was 4X as big. Still don't know about how big the Viz panel was, but there apparently weren't any announcements. It just feels like 2019 Toonami has been the most divisive year for Toonami for quite some time. Will Demon Slayer help the block's low approval rating?

Reactions: Yojimbo and RDG

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Trying to research what's been happening at Anime Expo, and it's hard to find concrete infos. Looking at what other forums have said, Toonami had a panel, but it sounds like Toonami's approval rating is pretty low. They were supposedly showered with "boos" because of what happened with MHA. Last year's Boruto's announcement got apathy, but this is the first time they had outright boos. I also heard that MHA's panel was 4X as big. Still don't know about how big the Viz panel was, but there apparently weren't any announcements. It just feels like 2019 Toonami has been the most divisive year for Toonami for quite some time. Will Demon Slayer help the block's low approval rating?
Knowing that their decision to deathslot the series is supposedly that unpopular does offer me a bit of comfort in a strange way. But at the same time, booing them for that does seem rather harsh. I've made my distaste for this decision quite clear and I still think that the logic behind it is rather questionable, but I wouldn't boo them in public for it. That just seems rude and wouldn't really help resolve the issue in the first place. I'd much rather just drop Toonami completely than insult or belittle the people behind it like that. Depending on how many shows I like after they wrap up the current season of My Hero Academia, that might happen.

I'm also not sure if that actually happened or if it was just a rumor, but a part of me wouldn't be too shocked if it did happen, especially if the turnout for the Toonami panel was that low. I don't know if Demon Slayer will help the block's approval rating. I've heard good reviews for it, but I'm not sure if it a really popular series or if it would be well received among the general audience.