"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Okay, I just noticed that most articles on Gundam: The Origin are talking about the manga, which is a remake, rather than the anime. The anime is apparently just the flashbacks from the manga. This at least means we won't get a retread of the original's plot as it covers the flashbacks rather than the main story. It appears we will have CGI Gundams for this show, which sounds iffy. The traditionally animated fight scenes in Iron Blooded Orphans and Unicorn were beautifully done (although they were arguably flashier in the latter's case, the former's were more engaging from a story perspective as it felt like 90% of the battles in the latter were fought by characters who didn't have much characterization). I hope the action is at least okay.

Lawren22

Nov 12, 2018
Kenner,LA
The action was good in the Orgin ovas from what I remember but I also believe the first 3 ovas didn't have that many Gundam battles as they focused mainly on kid Char and his younger sister( he got to used a mech maybe once a episode in the earlier ones and there was one time he used a sword to fight) .It was more character focused.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
....It kinda sounds like they're running out of Gundam material. If they somehow ever do another season of "Iron Blooded Orphans", that'd be a good addition. It's the "Gundam Wing" of Neo-Toonami (aka the Gundam series people remember fondly).

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
The action was good in the Orgin ovas from what I remember but I also believe the first 3 ovas didn't have that many Gundam battles as they focused mainly on kid Char and his younger sister( he got to used a mech maybe once a episode in the earlier ones and there was one time he used a sword to fight) .It was more character focused.
Sounds like it will probably be more heavily drama focused than action focused, with probably the same dialog to action ratio as Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. That show did get a divided reception because of this, but it seemed to do okay in the ratings. Unicorn outright flopped. Let's see how this one does.

Big note: the OVA version of the show is available in full legally in sub and dub form on Youtube. With hardly any dub exclusives, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to watch Toonami anymore.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
Cool that TOM's origin might be explained in this TIE. Even in a post Super world, Toonami has plans. Still curious as to how dramatically different Toonami will look at that point. It's still hard to guess what will headline the block when Super leaves. They might lose MHA and Boruto's ratings don't inspire confidence that it could lead the block. It almost seems like Black Clover of all shows is the best option.

Reactions: RDG

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
Oct 2, 2014
Bedford, OH
twitter.com
Big changes next saturday.
I think this is because they're phasing out the Fox shows; why else would they reduce Saturday night airings of Family Guy to just a half-hour now? At least I'll get to sleep earlier again after watching some of the block's shows

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
....It kinda sounds like they're running out of Gundam material. If they somehow ever do another season of "Iron Blooded Orphans", that'd be a good addition. It's the "Gundam Wing" of Neo-Toonami (aka the Gundam series people remember fondly).
I don't know how Iron Blooded Orphans could get another season. The ending to the second season definitely didn't leave a lot of room open for continuations. I suppose it's possible that they could find a way to tell a new story set in that universe with a different cast, but I'm not sure if they'd go that far when it would probably be more fitting to just start another AU Gundam series instead.

The first episode of Forge was pretty neat. The possibility of exploring TOM's origin sounds interesting, although I already feel like seeing other characters on the ship would be more meaningful if they were featured more heavily in promos like TOM and Sara are.

I think this is because they're phasing out the Fox shows; why else would they reduce Saturday night airings of Family Guy to just a half-hour now? At least I'll get to sleep earlier again after watching some of the block's shows
been a while since i've been here.

you're right. Adult Swim's rights to air Family Guy ends in 2020 & most likely won't renew it due to the FOX/Disney merger. Reason why FG is now airing on Freeform. that might also be the case once Bob's Burgers contract ends...

Expect AS to experiment & change up its schedule as a whole just to see what works

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Wish they would air some other mech series besides gundam. EVA was okay and Gurren Lagann was pretty good. I've never been able to get into the Toonami Gundam series with the exception of SD and that was the kiddiest one of them all. Thankfully Origin is only 13 episodes so it will be replaced pretty soon. I'll still give the first episode or two a chance but I'm not optimistic.

Mr. Anime

Sep 12, 2006
New York
On the one hand, Gundam: The Origin won't have the continuity lock-out problem that Unicorn had for new viewers. On the other, it will be be like watching the Star Wars Prequel trilogy first and then never getting to see the original one. There is no way that Adult Swim is going to try airing the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam series with it's outdated animation and woodenly acted Ocean dub again afterwords. And Sunrise seem uninterested in making more Origin at the moment.... So newcomers are going to be left hanging and unsatisfied when it finishes.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Wish they would air some other mech series besides gundam. EVA was okay and Gurren Lagann was pretty good. I've never been able to get into the Toonami Gundam series with the exception of SD and that was the kiddiest one of them all. Thankfully Origin is only 13 episodes so it will be replaced pretty soon. I'll still give the first episode or two a chance but I'm not optimistic.
I think that their options are limited when it comes to non-Gundam mecha series. I'm not sure how many recent mecha series outside of the Gundam franchise would be successful on the block. For better or for worse, they are more focused on getting more current anime titles on the block, so that does make it less likely for them to pick something from the previous decade like with Gurren Lagann again.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
WBA should produce some adult action cartoons for Toonami, like some based on DC properties - Lucifer and Constantine come to mind. That way Toonami won't have to rely so much on anime.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
There were two pretty notable mecha anime recently from Studio Trigger. Darling in the Franxx was popular for a period of time, but it got a huge backlash because of its second half. SSSS Gridman was pretty well received. I doubt Toonami has noticed either of those series.

Toonami advertised the subs for the FLCL sequels on Crunchyroll. It appears they do have a relationship, although we have yet anything air from them since the partnership (Mob season 1 happened before the partnership).

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I thought that DeMarco mentioned that he didn't like Darling in the Franxx. I could have sworn it came up when someone was asking about it or another series, so if that is the case, I don't think that they'll pick it up. Given what I've heard of it, it doesn't sound like something that I'd want to check out anyway.

I haven't heard about SSSS Gridman before, but that could be a possibility for a non-Gundam mecha series for Toonami.

Reactions: Lawren22

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
Jul 11, 2003
Somewhere
What about the second seasons of Mob Pycho 100 and One Punch Man? Mob is already being dubbed and presumably recording for One Punch Man must be in progress. They would fill the gaps in for a few months, although they are not long-term solutions.

As for new properties, what about Cells at Work? That has a dub that is being released this summer, and is a well-loved franchise whose presence is rapidly expanding in the West. A nice blend of action, comedy, and legitimately educational material rolled into one package. Boogiepop and Others is another possibility. Or is that off limits due to streaming rights? It seems at this point Toonami's hands are tied in terms of getting really popular new shows.

Back in the day DeMarco and Kim Manning passed over a lot of really good titles for one reason or another*, and now the anime market is a very different place with all of the major streaming sites fighting hard to lock down the best new shows and getting them dubbed as quickly as possible. I still feel that that despite all of the challenges facing locking down new contracts, a lot of the problem comes from Toonami's own biases towards which shows are worth putting on the schedule. Even when they do branch out, it is always in a really clumsy manner. The airing of Pop Team Epic was a good example of that; not because the show was bad in itself (I know there were a lot of conflicting opinions on that), but because it was way too out there to do as an experiment for non-action anime. It should have been brought in after at least two other more 'normal' shows were tested and allowed to sit well with the general audience. That the management team used Pop Team Epic's underperformance as an excuse to not air any other non-action anime afterwards suggest to me the experiment was not done in the best of faith.

I really think that the next year or two could be a really exciting time for Toonami if they can break free from their old prejudices about certain titles and air more 12 to 24 episode shows that do not conform to the patterns of previous years. But it seems like Adult Swim as a whole is stuck in a rut despite the major shakeup from the Fox/Disney merger and there are serious questions as to whether it is up to the challenge.

* Tiger and Bunny, the entire Fate/Stay franchise, Serial Experiments Lain, Berserk '97,
The Heroic Legend of Arslan,
Kino's Journey, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Monster, Mushishi, Full Metal Panic!, Gankutsuou, Last Exile, Texhnolyze, Gad Guard, Noein, Darker than Black, GUNXSWORD and dozens of other hidden gems. As much as I appreciate what Toonami has brought to us over the years, it should never be overlooked that they snubbed a ton of amazing shows for some very questionable acquisitions like Super Milk-Chan, The FLCL sequels, Samurai Seven, Dimension W, Tokyo Ghoul... you know I'll stop before I really offend some people. But my point is that Toonami's library is far from a "Greatest Hits" of anime, quite the opposite at times.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Springfield, MO
Where's the next "My Hero Academia"? As in, where's the next show outside of the Dragon Ball franchise that can bring in casual anime fans?

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
Jul 11, 2003
Somewhere
Where's the next "My Hero Academia"? As in, where's the next show outside of the Dragon Ball franchise that can bring in casual anime fans?
I would say Vinland Saga, but Amazon Prime has already locked that one down. Dr. Stone might have some potential, but it could not possibly air on Toonami before the end of the year, or even later. Again that is assuming another company does not swoop in and take the rights to it.

PicardMan

Nov 9, 2016
@Grenzer Viz is very slow on dubbing, so One Punch Man is probably a ways away. Crunchyroll is currently streaming the dub for Mob Season II on a one episode per week week basis and I think that Crunchyroll would probably want to stream all the episodes before airing it. Toonami probably just gets the leftovers. Cells at Work would have the potential to make it big because it's a creative battle shonen set in the human body with plenty of flashy fights, violence, comedy, and cute red blood cells. At Momocon, Demarco just stated that Pop Team Epic was actually a ratings success and that opens the floodgates. It's ratings looked low compared to the shonen, but I guess it was good enough and good enough to get a rerun. Promised Neverland is also a non action show so it looks like we are getting variety and risks to go with the standard long running franchises.