"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Okay, my bigger worry for MHA is if Hulu intervenes and prevents it airing. We still haven't heard any confirmation one way or the other. Diamond is Unbreakable's dub was announced right before it aired so it could be a secret dub. I"m wondering how much you can get out of the Crunchyroll deal because I'm realizing just how few dubs they have. They have Konosuba, Rising of the Shield Hero, and the third (and only the third) season of Gintama. The choices seem pretty slim, but the former two shows feel very Toonami. Goblin Slayer and That Time I Got Reincarned As a Slime are on Funimation and popular. It seems like 2018-2019 we are going through a medieval fantasy anime phase, bonus points if it's someone from the normal world transported to that world.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
You guys complained about SAO too much. Your punishment will be Gundam SEED HD and then when that's done, Gundam SEED Destiny HD.

PicardMan

You guys complained about SAO too much. Your punishment will be Gundam SEED HD and then when that's done, Gundam SEED Destiny HD.
Demarco said he doesn't like Seed and it will never reair a year or two ago. Anime fans are hard to completely satisfy because tastes vary so much. There are obvious reasons why SAO has been love it or hate it.

Terror of Death

I'd be shocked if there was any large demand for uncut GT for Toonami. While Super has had some mixed reactions from fans, at least from what I've heard from the grapevines, I've hardly seen anyone who likes GT. Plus, I don't know if that would really fare better ratings wise compared to DBZ Kai/Super reruns due to how unpopular/infamous GT seems to be with fans. Tiger & Bunny would be an interesting choice. YYH in HD sounds neat, but I don't know if I'd want them to devote a slot to another long running series, especially an older series.
I never saw all of GT when it first aired on CN Toonami so I would like to give it another shot just for curiosity's sake. Either that or move Z/Super to the tail end of the block. I doubt there's an anime that can do as well in the ratings as those two but it would be interesting to see them experiment more once Super ends. If they were to air a old show in HD again like they did with Outlaw Star I would want it to be Yu Yu Hakusho since its my favorite shonen anime. I'd rather see pretty much any older Toonami series get reaired than see the usual Cowboy Bebop, GitS, Space Dandy, AOT reruns again.

Okay, my bigger worry for MHA is if Hulu intervenes and prevents it airing. We still haven't heard any confirmation one way or the other. Diamond is Unbreakable's dub was announced right before it aired so it could be a secret dub. I"m wondering how much you can get out of the Crunchyroll deal because I'm realizing just how few dubs they have. They have Konosuba, Rising of the Shield Hero, and the third (and only the third) season of Gintama. The choices seem pretty slim, but the former two shows feel very Toonami. Goblin Slayer and That Time I Got Reincarned As a Slime are on Funimation and popular. It seems like 2018-2019 we are going through a medieval fantasy anime phase, bonus points if it's someone from the normal world transported to that world.
Isn't the Hulu deal first dibs and not complete exclusivity? It might take months or a year after it ends but MHA 4 will air eventually on Toonami. I forgot about the removal of the Funimation x crunchyroll collaborations prior to the split. If those three series are their only current dubs I guess one of them will air this year.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, Hulu might make it more complicated if they can't start airing season four for awhile after it gets on their site. I'm sure it will still air on the block eventually, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I'm sure both Funimation and Toonami would want to put episodes on the air as soon as possible.

I never saw all of GT when it first aired on CN Toonami so I would like to give it another shot just for curiosity's sake. Either that or move Z/Super to the tail end of the block. I doubt there's an anime that can do as well in the ratings as those two but it would be interesting to see them experiment more once Super ends. If they were to air a old show in HD again like they did with Outlaw Star I would want it to be Yu Yu Hakusho since its my favorite shonen anime. I'd rather see pretty much any older Toonami series get reaired than see the usual Cowboy Bebop, GitS, Space Dandy, AOT reruns again.
I don't think I could see them airing GT uncut. I don't think it would attract nearly as much attention as DBZ Kai/Super has done. They could do some experiments to see what works after Super wraps up, but since I keep hearing rumors about the series returning, it's pretty likely that Toonami will get a possible continuation whenever that's ready to air. It would be interesting to have something different for their rerun slots and I haven't see YYH myself, but I don't know if I'd want them to devote a rerun slot to another fairly long series.

Reactions: RDG

PicardMan

Wow, we don't usually get announcements like this so far in advance. I'm very curious to know what time. I'm assuming it'll be before SAO, unless the TV-MA rating forces them to air it later.
We haven't gotten an MA Titan episode, but the show has stretched that TV-14 pretty dang far. It's been able to be towards the front when it and Bleach were the headliners.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I wasn't expecting them to make this announcement this far in advance either. I don't think that new episodes have started in Japan just yet either. I'm not sure what timeslot it would have. They may have to alter the schedule again if they want to air it earlier.

Reactions: RDG

wjbraden

It should be noted that May 25th is memorial day weekend, which has never not had a marathon since they started doing holiday marathons (it's also one of the lowest-rated weekends of the year).

It doesn't seem to be the smartest move, but they may be contractually obligated to air it to meet funimation now's schedule of airing the show four weeks after it airs in Japan (like a majority of their simuldub slate).

Another interesting thing to think about is whether they'll expand the block to 10:30, so shows like Hunter x Hunter won't get pushed even further down the lineup, or if they'll do just that. Either way, expect those old AOT reruns to be bumped off, because it wouldn't sense having both new and old episodes airing on the same night.

Last edited:

veemonjosh

Shine On
Well, hopefully this news means there won't be a Memorial Day weekend marathon this year. It'd actually work out great if they didn't, it would allow HxH and DiU to finish their final arcs without interruption. Same with Promised Neverland, which I originally had projected to get hit with two marathon weeks (Memorial Day and Independence Day); nixing the Memorial Day marathon would move the final episode up a week to the end of June, avoiding any interruption. Heck, it'd perfectly allow them to do a full season marathon of Promised Neverland on Independence Day weekend the following week.

I mean, not to speed up most of the shows I watch, but I'd be perfectly okay with a regular week this Memorial Day weekend.

wjbraden

There is also the possibility that the Attack on Titan premiere will kick off Toonami that night, followed by a marathon of some other show.
I thought about that too, just like they did with Space Dandy a while back (I think for the same reason, that they were contractually obligated to air the show within a certain timeframe).

PicardMan

Still pondering on if Toonami should pick up on the massive isekai train of anime that have been pumped out lately. It seems to be all the rage, but Toonami hasn't really bitten yet. It seems to be the most common variety of action anime along with battle shonen. Shield Hero, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Konosuba, No Game No Life, Re:Zero, and Overlord all seem to be the rage. The only show I'm pausing about it How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. I heard this show had content issues that would make it hard to air. Is this true? Would any of these shows be a big hit with the battle shonen/toonami audience or is there not much overlap between battle shonen and isekai fans?

Mr. Anime

Considering that the vast majority of viewers here found Gundam Unicorn, one of so-called "good" entries in the franchise to be quite dull while liking Iron-Blooded Orphans or to go futher back in the day, Gundam Wing which if you talk to the hardcore Gundam fandom are among the "bad" ones, then the Seeds wound't be much of a punishment at all. Now airing Zeta or Victory Gundam, that would be a punishment. They are terrible and are as deeply sexist as SAO is. Good thing they are older than Bebop and that Victory doesn't even have a dub.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Three episodes of season 3 have been given an MA so far.
Oh wow. I guess season 3 was the first to break the barrier because of the human on human violence.

@Mr. Anime Gundam Seed flopped hard in the Cartoon Network Toonami era. I had no idea that hardcore Gundam fans hate Iron Blooded Orphans. It seems to have won over some casuals despite being talky and having a very dark tone with lots of deaths of beloved characters.

Lawren22

I've seen that some hardcore Gundam fans hate everything not in the UC timeline outside Turn A Gundam and Gundam OO S1( and even then Gundam OO S1 has some haters and Turn A apparently may or may not be UC). Zeta Gundam is as sexist as SAO? Good to know I was thinking of watching it.If Toonami were to air another Gundam I'd want it to be The Origin its getting a tv series soon and unlike Unicorn didnt required you to watch multiple other tv serires and movies to get the plot since it was a prequel to the whole UC and wasnt boring either imo.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
After watching season 2 of OPM I really hope we get season 2 Mob Psycho 100 beforehand

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk