"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
although a cliche ripoff of Cowboy Bebop except with boxing as the premise, is certainly better than just about everything else they play.
And Pop Team Epic is actually entertaining unlike Mob Psycho.
I'm going to regret asking but with the exception of Joe having a similar hairstlye to Spike in what universe are the two similar.

veemonjosh

Shine On
Megalobox, although a cliche ripoff of Cowboy Bebop except with boxing as the premise
The manga that Megalobox is directly inspired by (the one it was made as an anniversary project for) predates Cowboy Bebop by about 30 years.

They need to get away from their stubborn decision making and pick up only consensus 9/10 or better series.
Like PicardMan said, that's a highly subjective criteria based entirely on personal opinion. You may hate Mob Psycho 100, but the general consensus I've seen across the anime fandom would put it in the 9/10 range.

Last edited:

SourSweetGone

Horde scientist
Mob Psycho 100 is horrendous to me and, Megalobox, although a cliche ripoff of Cowboy Bebop except with boxing as the premise, is certainly better than just about everything else they play.

Toonami is getting canceled if they keep making dumb decisions and picking up shows that are popular with this generation alone. They need to get away from their stubborn decision making and pick up only consensus 9/10 or better series.

"This is going to fail because it's not catering specifically to me" mind set is never a healthy one to have. I mean heck a good 90% of anime out there end up not being my cup of tea but I still enjoy Toonami overall even if Boruto is the only show I really keep up with anymore. The Block in and of itself is like a show and Tom & Sarah will do just fine regardless of whether or not every show on the block appeals to any one specific individual.

Volthoom

Mob Psycho 100 is horrendous to me and, Megalobox, although a cliche ripoff of Cowboy Bebop except with boxing as the premise, is certainly better than just about everything else they play.
Uh dude, Megalo Box isn't a Rip off of Cowboy Bebop, it's cyberpunk Ashita No Joe(in fact it was created for the 50th anniversry of Ashita no Joe), a series whose manga started in 1968, while Cowboy Bebop started in 1998.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not too familiar with Cowboy Bebop. I've only seen maybe an episode or two at most despite how long it's been on the air for many years, but I don't really see how Megalobox is anything like Cowboy Bebop. It just reminds me of a standard sports movie with a bit more style. It's not one of my favorite shows on the lineup, but it's watchable.

ZZenigundam said:
Toonami is getting canceled if they keep making dumb decisions and picking up shows that are popular with this generation alone. They need to get away from their stubborn decision making and pick up only consensus 9/10 or better series.
Putting aside how you've been saying that Toonami is going to be cancelled for ages aside for the moment, only picking up shows that only rank 9/10 or higher wouldn't really work. Everyone has different tastes, so not everyone is going to feel the same way about a series. Jojo is one of the most popular long running series and I think it's completely overrated. Choosing their series based off of a completely subjective ranking just wouldn't really wouldn't be a good idea. Going for series that are popular that they think would be appealing to fans of the block is a much smarter way to go about it.

ZZenigundam said:
That is your opinion and you're entitled to it, but that doesn't make it a fact. I absolutely hated Pop Team Epic. It just always made me feel like I was missing the joke with practically every segment, which is not a comfortable feeling to have when watching a comedy series. I thought that Mob Psycho 100 was a pretty solid series that actually did make me laugh on more than one occasion. It's fine if you don't like most of the series Toonami plays. That has happened to me multiple times too, but demanding that they should cater to what you specifically really doesn't make sense. They don't make the block just for you. They make it so more anime/Toonami fans can have more series to watch on Saturday night.

Constantly claiming that Toonami is going to be cancelled for what shows they do play is such an exaggeration, especially most people come in to watch Dragon Ball Super. Pop Team Epic also didn't really fare much better than the shonen series in ratings. Granted, the importance of ratings in this day and age seems questionable at best to me, but it is worth noting that shows later in the block tended to have better ratings than Pop Team Epic did.

Reactions: RDG

Dan's Revenge

"I studied Soupe de Jours for five years" - Dan
I'm not too familiar with Cowboy Bebop. I've only seen maybe an episode or two at most despite how long it's been on the air for many years, but I don't really see how Megalobox is anything like Cowboy Bebop. It just reminds me of a standard sports movie with a bit more style. It's not one of my favorite shows on the lineup, but it's watchable.
(Not spoiler tagging as I don't believe anything said is a spoiler)

The [main-main(?)] protagonist in Bebop (Spike) is a bounty hunter who fights as needed in order to claim the reward (with two others) whereas Joe in Megalo Box competes in scheduled matches for glory, so definitely not the same thing. Both deliver a nice punch though. (face-palm pun intended)

I absolutely hated Pop Team Epic. It just always made me feel like I was missing the joke with practically every segment, which is not a comfortable feeling to have when watching a comedy series.
Having watched it too, I simply got lost in it. I didn't understand a lot of the humor which much (I think) was Japanese pop culture. I've seen plenty of anime, but in my mind it doesn't quite help me understand their culture either (I'm oblivious that way I suppose). Despite my getting lost in it, I still caught the whole series and did have a few laughs. Though I can safely say it's a one-and-done deal for me with no further interest. Admitting though, I did enjoy the male-dubbed portions as it made it a vague tolerable and interesting. (Still a one-and-done regardless)

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Since no one else is stepping up, I suppose I'll handle the SAO III talkback tonight. But if anyone wants to, you can still grab it.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Cowboy Bebop is a musically inspired sci-fi series about bounty hunters in space.
Megalo Box is a futuristic retelling of a 50-year-old classic boxing manga.
Ripoff how, exactly?

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.

I don't think something that based off something years before the other came out can be a rip off.

I liked both Pop Team Epic and Mob Psycho100, both are opinions though some might have found only one of them entertaining or neither.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Leaving aside "rip offs", when we're having to resort to a new season "Sword Art Online" to add new content....perhaps there's not enough "good" material available for Toonami to pick up? (yes, "good" being up to interpretation).

Remember in the late 2000's, when anime on TV took a nose dive, because they ran out of "big hit" titles to air, and started airing weird stuff (like Toonami airing "Prince of Tennis", or Adult Swim airing "Shin-chan")? Are we experiencing a moment like that again in broadcasting of anime?

Maybe they need to take a break from cramming premieres of stuff that is lesser known than "Jojo", "Dragon Ball", or "Boruto". I wish instead of cramming so many strange premieres onto the block, they'd bring back the "rerun" section of the block and air "Big O" or a batch of "Inuyasha" episodes again...

SourSweetGone said:
The Block in and of itself is like a show
Well, there's a lot of truth in that...some people tune in more for the bumpers and TOM's video game reviews than the actual anime being broadcast.

PicardMan

Well, there are still some A-list shows yet to air on Toonami, Re:Zero and Konosuba, but legal crap makes getting shows hard. I'm wondering if we'll get one of those when Megalobox ends or if it will just be part 2 of Attack on Titan season 3?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Remember in the late 2000's, when anime on TV took a nose dive, because they ran out of "big hit" titles to air, and started airing weird stuff (like Toonami airing "Prince of Tennis", or Adult Swim airing "Shin-chan")? Are we experiencing a moment like that again in broadcasting of anime?
I don't think so, or at least I don't think that there a noticeable lack of big hit titles out there for Toonami compared to the late 2000's. The bigger issue is probably legal issues with streaming services like Hulu. That's why it took them awhile to get My Hero Academia and at least one reason why they can't get Sailor Moon Crystal.

wonderfly said:
Maybe they need to take a break from cramming premieres of stuff that is lesser known than "Jojo", "Dragon Ball", or "Boruto". I wish instead of cramming so many strange premieres onto the block, they'd bring back the "rerun" section of the block and air "Big O" or a batch of "Inuyasha" episodes again...
I'm not sure if airing reruns would really help the block. It might provide a bit of variety, but they did get rid of the rerun section of the block for a reason. It didn't seem like the reruns attracted a lot of attention. I don't think that devoting one of the few rerun slots to a long series like Inuyasha would have been a good idea either. Big O would have worked if they had been able to air the first season.

Well, there are still some A-list shows yet to air on Toonami, Re:Zero and Konosuba, but legal crap makes getting shows hard. I'm wondering if we'll get one of those when Megalobox ends or if it will just be part 2 of Attack on Titan season 3?
It probably depends on when Megalobox ends and when the dub of Attack on Titan is ready to air. I wouldn't be surprised if they jump right into Attack on Titan's next half of the season.

wjbraden

Attack on Titan S3 part 2 won't be ready when Megalobox ends March 23rd, because it's not airing in Japan until April sometime.

I think MB's replacement will be Mob Psycho II, because the dub of that should be ready by then I would think.
AOT will probably be back in late-April and will probably result in another expansion of the block.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd certainly be fine with getting a Mob Psycho season two dub on the block. I don't know if there has been any news of a dub, but I'd still like to see the series return sooner rather than later. If SAO does take a break in Japan, then that could open up the slot for another series later in the year.

PicardMan

It looks like the SAO hiatus won't be as sudden as the Attack on Titan one so Toonami can plan ahead. It's obvious that Toonami wasn't given the heads up about Titan and had to improvise.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
So this is what I'm seeing currently:

Toonami has 4 "top tier" (aka "Big Hits") titles. These are the core pillars of the block currently:
Dragon Ball Super
Boruto
My Hero Academia
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

3 "second tier" titles (aka long running titles which are winding down or are just limping along):
Naruto Shippuden
Hunter x Hunter
Black Clover

3 "third tier" titles (slots in the line-up where they can experiment with lesser known short series or reruns):
Megalobox
Sword Art Online
Attack on Titan (reruns)

I think I'd just rather they give us another rerun instead of "Sword Art Online". Or maybe just cancel "Shippuden" or "Black Clover"...

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd be perfectly happy with Toonami stop airing Black Clover. Sadly, if they were going to do that, they probably would have done so with the end of the first season. I know it does pretty decently ratings wise, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting something else instead. I also still wish that they chose to air something else besides SAO, especially when it sounded like the premiere wasn't anything to write home about based on the talkback thread.

Getting rid of Shippuden would be more of a surprising move. Despite being in the late hours of the block, Shippuden does pretty well for its timeslot. Plus, Naruto is still one of the most popular shonen series in the U.S., even if the Shippuden portion of the series aren't as widely regarded as the first half. The only way I could see them replacing Shippuden is if it becomes too expensive to keep on the air like what happened with One Piece.