"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Light Lucario

Staff member
Since quite a few anime movies get limited releases in theaters nowadays, maybe they thought it would be worthwhile to give Hunter x Hunter's second movie a similar kind of treatment.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Sounds like a really good cast. Erica Mendez seems to be getting typecast as little boy characters since she played Gon.

StorytellerMJ5

Started before that. Probably with Aladdin.

She does do other types of characters too though. Like Retsuko.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
She even voiced kid Pac-Man in the recent video games (but I can't remember if that was before Gon).

But I'm fine with it, she has one of the better young boy voices recently.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Hunter X Hunter having movies is super weird to me. Not only are the fights dictated by strategy but I feel as if the series is too tightly written.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Hunter X Hunter having movies is super weird to me. Not only are the fights dictated by strategy but I feel as if the series is too tightly written.

I haven't seen any myself (yet), but I did hear that one of the problems with the films is that they never try to go cerebral or strategic as much as the show does.

That said, I cant say I'm surprised. Every big Shonen Jump franchise gets at least one film.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Aren't most shonen films 90 minute filler episodes with crappy villains that no one remembers anyway. Okay, there are a few exceptions, as there are a few Dragonball and One Piece movie villains that are actually popular, but those seem to be rare exceptions. I mean, who has ever drawn fan art on Deviantart or cosplayed as a Naruto movie villain? For that matter, who even remembers the name of a Naruto movie villain? That is a major issue with shonen movies.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I haven't seen any myself (yet), but I did hear that one of the problems with the films is that they never try to go cerebral or strategic as much as the show does.

That said, I cant say I'm surprised. Every big Shonen Jump franchise gets at least one film.
Except for Jojo not counting the live action adaption

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Aren't most shonen films 90 minute filler episodes with crappy villains that no one remembers anyway.

Yeah, but...there was a time when those type of films were still celebrated. I remember when Inuyasha films airing on Adult Swim was a big deal. Or DBZ or Naruto movies on Toonami.

Are the films inconsequential filler? Yes. Still a fun way to spend a Friday or Saturday evening. But the promoting/celebrating those type of films went away after the original Toonami ended in 2008...

Light Lucario

Staff member
I really miss when Toonami played movies during the holiday weekends. I can understand why they just go for marathons now. They're cheaper and could still potentially draw in a decent amount of people depending on the show, but I think that they gave up on movie events too easily. The reason why their last movie event did so poorly was because they chose movies that they had already aired instead of something new.

If they could air the new Dragon Ball movies or the recent My Hero Academia movie, I think that they would do well enough given the popularity of those franchises. Although, they'd probably have to wait for the My Hero Academia movie considering it takes place between seasons two and three. Plus, I don't know if the new expansion would make airing movies more difficult since they have a lot more time to fill in compared to when they were doing their first couple of movie marathons. Still, it would be really great if they started to air anime movies again.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Well, I think there's a difference between events like the "Month of Miyazaki" (in 2006) and the "Month of Movies" (in 2013 and 2014), which featured movies that were of a higher quality, in contrast to just a casual popcorn anime flick.

I'm thinking back to when weekday Toonami aired a Dragon Ball Z or Sailor Moon movie every Friday, or on Saturdays when they would air a Batman movie like "Mystery of the Batwoman" or "The Batman vs. Dracula". Or when they would air the Pokemon movies or the Yu-Gi-Oh movie, or the Hellboy animated movies. Or when Adult Swim aired "Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack" or "The Animatrix".

I don't even think it needs tied in with the holidays, necessarily, I just want them to toss in some movies periodically.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Has anyone from Adult Swim commented on lack of movie airings recently? I can't it imagine being a weird licensing/rights issue.

With Dragon Ball, it makes sense not to show the recent 2 because Super adapted those stories into the 'main canon' already but Broly could be aired in a few years time.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Has anyone from Adult Swim commented on lack of movie airings recently? I can't it imagine being a weird licensing/rights issue.

Whenever Toonami airs a movie, the ratings are too low. They were especially bad during 2014, which caused Toonami to shrink in the first place. They're not worth the risk.
They might be fun once in a while, but not for a whole month. That's why Toonami movies are few and far between nowadays.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, I think there's a difference between events like the "Month of Miyazaki" (in 2006) and the "Month of Movies" (in 2013 and 2014), which featured movies that were of a higher quality, in contrast to just a casual popcorn anime flick.

I'm thinking back to when weekday Toonami aired a Dragon Ball Z or Sailor Moon movie every Friday, or on Saturdays when they would air a Batman movie like "Mystery of the Batwoman" or "The Batman vs. Dracula". Or when they would air the Pokemon movies or the Yu-Gi-Oh movie, or the Hellboy animated movies. Or when Adult Swim aired "Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack" or "The Animatrix".

I don't even think it needs tied in with the holidays, necessarily, I just want them to toss in some movies periodically.

As cool as having them air movies for a whole month or even just once in awhile like that would be, I don't think that we could reasonably expect them to have something like that now. It was easier to devote an entire month for movies back on Cartoon Network, especially when it was an weekday afternoon block, than it probably would be now. Even when they moved to Saturday nights, having some movie nights wasn't a huge deal since it didn't take up the entire lineup.

I imagine that they have more of a budget now than when the block was first revived, but they probably don't have the funds to pull something like a month of movies, especially some of the really popular movies. Getting the rights to something like four Miyazaki movies that would only air one night would probably be far too expensive to be worthwhile. It's a shame and I would like to see them airing movies during at least the holiday breaks, but I don't know if that's going to happen anytime soon.

With Dragon Ball, it makes sense not to show the recent 2 because Super adapted those stories into the 'main canon' already but Broly could be aired in a few years time.

I believe that DeMarco mentioned a few years ago that the ratings were too low for the movies they aired back in 2014. I still say that getting movies they had aired the previous year wasn't a good idea and contributed to the lower ratings, but that was why they stopped airing movies. Reruns are cheaper and bring in better or at least more consistent ratings. It's a shame since there are movies that could use some exposure or would just be perfect for Toonami, but they've been doing these marathons for quite some time now.

Even with Super adapting those two movies into the main canon, I could see enough interest in getting the movies. From what I can tell, most fans preferred the movies over how they were adapted into Super, so I imagine that there would be enough differences between the arcs and the movies to make them more unique experiences. The upcoming Broly movie would be perfect since I think it takes place after the end of Super and Broly is a really popular character, so a movie where he is introduced in the main canon could potentially draw in a lot of people to the block.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Yeah, JoJo fans pretty much retconned the Phantom Blood film out their minds.
To be fair, Shueisha (and Araki) literally retconned it out of existence. It left theaters rather quickly, never received a home release, and gets completely glossed over in official retrospective materials that talk about the franchise's history. They don't want anyone remembering it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts