Toon Zone Talkback - "Santa Claus"/"Nestor"; Or, They Came from the Island of Misfit Christmas Speci

Latest News & Videos

A.Magik

Sep 28, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Toon Zone Talkback - "Santa Claus"/"Nestor"; Or, They Came from the Island &c

This is the talkback thread for "Santa Claus"/"Nestor"; Or, They Came from the Island of Misfit Christmas Specials.

I like SANTA CLAUS, although I prefer COMIN' TO TOWN. In a way, this is probably the darkest Rankin/Bass special, with its depiction of poverty & war, and the major plotline about Claus' mortality. My favorite character is Necille, and her personality of immortal above-ness & maternal emotions. Love her 'A child' song.

NESTOR was rather traumatizing for me as a child.
They killed the mother.
My mother is against it, seeing how it turned me and my brothers into emotional wrecks back then.
I suppose the generic/over-the-top portrayal of the other characters is a plot point rather than a flaw: It's not Nestor who is the freak here. It's everyone else.
I wonder where's Aaron the Drummer Boy?

Last edited by a moderator:

PeppeRaskell1

Peanutized!!!
Sep 20, 2001
Catskills/Hudson Valley
I just finished watching Nestor on a "triple feature" DVD I got from the library (Year Without a Santa Claus and Rudolph's Shiny New Year are also on the DVD, deleted musical numbers, Miser Brothers and all!)

Sad about Nestor's mom ("Ears, Nestor!"), but this special has some redeeming factors, notably Roger Miller's music and Tilly the Cherub.

Speaking of Life and Adventures, did anyone who watched this notice that some of the VA cast (notably the Awgwas) also did voices on ThunderCats?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
While I enjoy all of the Rankin/Bass specials, I actually prefer the animated movie The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus over this special. There are a couple of more depressing moments in there, but I thought that the story and characters were generally handled better in that movie.

I love watching Nestor. The death of his mother is always sad, but I find the whole story so sad, yet cute at the same time. Plus, I felt so sorry for Nestor that I couldn't help but watch and enjoy the special.

Ioz

Master of Mer
May 4, 2008
USA
Since this talkback was obviously inspired by the DVD release of these specials by Warner Archive, I would have liked to have seen some mention of the DVD and the quality of it in the column.

Trevor

Jun 10, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Well there have been two releases of the DVD. Back around 2000 Warner released the three specials on one disc, then around 2006 Warner released a Remastered Edition containing all three specials, and sent the other one into the out-of-print category.

PeppeRaskell1

Peanutized!!!
Sep 20, 2001
Catskills/Hudson Valley
Well there have been two releases of the DVD. Back around 2000 Warner released the three specials on one disc, then around 2006 Warner released a Remastered Edition containing all three specials, and sent the other one into the out-of-print category.
They both sound like my library rental DVD, but I'll have to check the RCLS catalog for the year. It might have been the out-of-print release, it might have been the remastered one....

BTW, does anyone know if Pinocchio's Christmas is or has been released on DVD? I watched the uncut version of it on one of TWC's Movies on Demand channels, and prefer to watch that one over the one that airs on ABC Family every year.

80's guy

Apr 21, 2005
Tallahassee,FL
While I enjoy all of the Rankin/Bass specials, I actually prefer the animated movie The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus over this special. There are a couple of more depressing moments in there, but I thought that the story and characters were generally handled better in that movie.

I love watching Nestor. The death of his mother is always sad, but I find the whole story so sad, yet cute at the same time. Plus, I felt so sorry for Nestor that I couldn't help but watch and enjoy the special.
I remember watching the animated verison of the Life and Advenutre of Santa Claus, I do like the Rankin/bass verison. It is based on a book
by L. Frank Barum, who wrote "The Wizard of Oz"

Hey Steve

Apr 13, 2009
Wisconsin
They both sound like my library rental DVD, but I'll have to check the RCLS catalog for the year. It might have been the out-of-print release, it might have been the remastered one....

BTW, does anyone know if Pinocchio's Christmas is or has been released on DVD? I watched the uncut version of it on one of TWC's Movies on Demand channels, and prefer to watch that one over the one that airs on ABC Family every year.
"Pinocchio's Christmas" is on DVD. There is a 4-DVD boxed set titled CLASSIC CHRISTMAS FAVORITES. Here are the contents:

Disc 1: "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!", plus 3 Rankin-Bass specials only available on this DVD set: "The Leprechauns' Christmas Gold", "Pinocchio's Christmas" and "The Stingiest Man in Town"

Disc 2: "The Year Without a Santa Claus" Deluxe Edition, plus "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" and "Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey"

Disc 3: "Frosty's Winter Wonderland" plus "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"

Disc 4: "Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July"

The set is a great value for what it is. I picked it up at Target for $30.

EDIT: Anyone who buys this set should be well aware that while the packaging says that the Deluxe Edition of "The Year Without a Santa Claus" is supposed to be in this set, the people at Warner actually goofed and packed in the live-action version instead. Can't Warner Bros. Home Entertainment do anything right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List
Happy Birthday to the great Akira Toriyama!
Today, variety in my country's Cartoon Network's schedule has died.
I'm Planning to make a New Qubo schedule With Several New and Returning Shows (With one of them being Jacob Two-Two), No Paid Programming and the Return of the 4 hour Marathons.
Today marks the 10th Year Anniversary of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and the 7th Year Anniversary of its series finale. It ended up becoming my favorite adaptation of the Scooby-Doo Franchise and found out about Lewis Black by name (I had heard his voice in some earlier shows).