Toon Zone Talkback - "Monsters vs. Aliens": "3D" Means "Dull, Dismal, and Disposable"

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
This is the talkback thread for "Monsters vs. Aliens": "3D" Means "Dull, Dismal, and Disposable".

splash-mva.jpg

As I've said to the News Staff, I think the difference between Pixar and DreamWorks is that Pixar was afraid they were falling into a creative rut at one point, so they hired Brad Bird specifically to find someone who didn't think like they did as animators or as writers to ensure they stayed fresh (and, to be honest, I think they ought to do it again soon).

DreamWorks not only doesn't think they're in a creative rut, they're actively trying to dig that rut as deep as they can as fast as they can (hence the promise/threat of 5 Shrek movies). It also seems that Kung Fu Panda was the exception.

Cartoon X

Lum the Forever
I dissagree. I liked the movie. I don't see any simmilarities with Monsters INC., I mean it wasn't about two monsters trying to get a little kid home was it? But I do agree that Susan's fiance was a useless character.

Monterey Jack

I found the movie to be plenty enjoyable myself. It's no Kung Fu Panda, and the plot could have used a few rewrites for clarification purposes (Galaxhar's evil cloning plot is fuzzy and ill-defined), but the characters were likable (if not very deep), the action sequences were top-notch (if punchier in the theatrical 3D process), and there were plenty of laughs. There are much worse Dreamworks movies to complain about (Shark Tale, anyone?).

ThePRPD

The one with the nose.
Monsters vs. Aliens was a good movie and the short included on the Blue-ray/DVD was pretty good also.

Loved Colbert's role.

@Montery_Jack
Shark Tale was okay.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
How can you insult it when it made #1 at the Box Office?
How much money something makes isn't a measure of its quality, just its popularity. (Though I haven't seen MvA, so I can't comment on it)

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
How much money something makes isn't a measure of its quality, just its popularity. (Though I haven't seen MvA, so I can't comment on it)

Plus it's hard to think of an major, big-budget animated film that HASN'T made #1 at the box office. That's practically a foregone conclusion for animated product nowadays, so what MvA did is hardly noteworthy.

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
Monsters Vs. Aliens got so many mixed reviews, but none of them really went into detail about the movie itself - except this one. And now that I know what the movie's main weaknesses are (shallow characters firing off a non-stop barrage of flimsy jokes centered around a tired, clichéd story - in other words, everything I don't like to see in an animated movie), I think I'd better steer clear of this one after all. Thanks, Maxie Zeus, you just saved me $25!

ThePRPD

The one with the nose.
B.O.B. and Dr. Cockaroach P.H.D. were great and after seeing the short included on the D.V.D and Blue-Ray I could see a spin off for the film actually working out.

Lavenderpaw

Essense Of Love
It was different. I like it as far as entertainment goes and I felt sorry for Susan --- you're suddenly fifty feet tall, get captured by the army, your fiance dumps you and your family doesn't know how to treat you.

I mean, what would you do if your friend became the height of a water tower? Do you adandon him or her? She took like a trooper, darnet. All of those freaky monster creatures. My only complaint is that I wish the other humans could have been a little more well-rounded and that Susan's family cared more. The villian was like an annoying Jimmy Neutron villian, but the movie wasn't bad overall. ;)

Elrohir

Finally, someone who agrees that this movie was lame. I felt like I had seen all the gags before on just about every CN and Nick cartoon.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I've been wanting to see this since it came out at the theatre. Why? 50 Foot Woman, especially since it's told from the 50 Foot Woman's perspective. It's one of my favorite monsters ever.

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
Eh, I've had a feeling this was a rather subpar effort. I know it should be its own creature, but a Monster movie that doesn't seem to have any facets that would make it also a pastiche of classic monster movies, let alone the fact that there isn't for some reason a parody or homage to Godzilla (I don't see it anywhere, is there?). Why have a humourous monster movie without any homage to the King of Monsters?

Also the facial design of Reese Witherspoon's character freaks me out. She reminds me of those creepy "What if anime style was placed in real life?" pictures.

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness

Monterey Jack

I know it should be its own creature, but a Monster movie that doesn't seem to have any facets that would make it also a pastiche of classic monster movies, let alone the fact that there isn't for some reason a parody or homage to Godzilla (I don't see it anywhere, is there?). Why have a humourous monster movie without any homage to the King of Monsters?

Well, Insectosaurus was an obvious tip of the hat to Godzilla's old foe Mothra (replete with a very Toho-like bellow).

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
I'd figure just as much that another one of Dreamworks garage of mediocrity would prevent me from seeing this film. While I'm incline to see before I judge (that and the recent Kung Fu Panda was a straightforward, but charmingly enduring film), I've been burned by too many Dreamworks films for me to even give a second thought on purchasing Monsters vs. Aliens.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
I think that this review was too harsh; it’s one thing to dislike the movie, but it seemed to be one big attack on DreamWorks. For what it’s worth, I have thoroughly enjoyed a lot of their movies. However, in this particular instance, I agree about this one. I never watched “Monsters vs. Aliens”, as the previews didn’t interest me, but nothing that I saw resonated with me. Perhaps I’ll be proven wrong after I watch it when it makes its way to cable, but until then, I have no desire to check it out.

CaptainHero

Save Yourselves!
Wow, this review was extremely harsh. It's one thing to dislike the film and offer constructive criticism, but you can tell Ed Liu wanted to hate this film before he even watched it.

The animation in this film is MUCH, MUCH better than Space Chimps (which looked like a webtoon with it's limited movement)

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Wow, this review was extremely harsh. It's one thing to dislike the film and offer constructive criticism, but you can tell Ed Liu wanted to hate this film before he even watched it.
You mean Maxie Zeus. Ed just made the talkback thread.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I found out that the original All That is not created by Dan Schneider. Is that true?
WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!

Featured Posts