Toon Zone Talkback - "Ghost Stories" Vol. 1: It's Okay If You're a Muslim, a Christian, or a Jew...

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
This is the talkback thread for "Ghost Stories" Vol. 1: It's Okay If You're a Muslim, a Christian, or a Jew....

You knew it would happen sooner or later considering it's ADV...

Meh, too tired to come up with something to announce the splash today...

splash-ghoststories.jpg

GrantM

Man I wish I was working for ADV, I would of had fun working on this....

So it's out huh....never thought I'd see ADV do something like this to an anime show

GrantM

William C. Maune said:
It won't actually be released for a couple more weeks (I think).
Oh right....still I am interested in knowing what ADV were thinking when they decided to do what they did with this title.

I do wish I was a VA for ADV right now, I could of had fun working on this title

The_Magick_Hat

Do I AMUSE You? >_>
Ah yes, Ghost Stories/Gakkou no Kaidan (original japanese title). I'll always think of this show as what the Scooby Doo cartoon might have been if it had taken itself seriously.

Controversy aside, reactions to the english dub have been fairly positive. There were clips of the dub up somewhere (I'd have to dig up the address) and I liked what I heard. This will be a fun listen, no doubt.

Conan-san

GrantM13459 said:
Let me guess...he hates it
Gah, he's such a flipin' pestimestic bugger, sriously, he could turn a bright sunny day into a rainstrom to make Noah blush.

That aside, why only Duel Masters Series 2 and not the orgional, the orgional seemed pritty removed as well.

Arxane

Hehe...guess what, fellas...
livingfruitvirus said:
Except for "Ask" John.
Meh, I've ignored John Oppliger's anti-dub agenda for quite some time now because he's becoming a parody of himself. Of course this guy wouldn't approve of the Ghost Stories dub. This is the same guy who calls anime dubs "training wheels" and believes dubs create "intellectual or cultural blinders", as well as a lack of "artistic respect" for anime. This is the same guy who hopes that Adult Swim's upcoming airing of a subtitled anime will "reverse the current trend of popularizing dubbed anime". This is the same guy who called Hayao Miyazaki a "renegade" because Miyazaki actually enjoys foreign dubs. With this kind of an outlook on dubs, I'm surprised he was asked for an opinion on the Ghost Stories dub in the first place!

That aside, I'm very curious to hear this dub. Behind all the complaining that the dub was altered like this, I've heard tales that the show itself is incredibly bland. If a dub can make a bland show interesting, then I'm all for seeing it.

Nobody You Know

Extremely Evil Final Boss
Arxane said:
This is the same guy who called Hayao Miyazaki a "renegade" because Miyazaki actually enjoys foreign dubs. With this kind of an outlook on dubs, I'm surprised he was asked for an opinion on the Ghost Stories dub in the first place!
That's funny, because I was (and in a way, still am) pretty anti-dub, but consider the Miyazaki dubs to be the first ones I could honestly and truly take seriously. They haven't been the last. These days, I perfer subs, but I'll watch dubs now and then. (Naruto's dub? I was like "Who decided to stop screwing around and do a perfect job for once? And can I convince that person to do it again...?")

And I'm all for a dub enriching a show if the show needed the enrichment (and the dub actually does so). From what I'm reading, it looks like that is the case here.

Might have to check this sick puppy out...

Zyber

Ben said:
Old school hardcore otaku columnist at AnimeNation.
ROFL

Sorry, but considering what he deems to be hardcore and old school I couldn't help it.

He's opinionated, that's it.

The great thing about true old timers is that they're pretty flexible. Since we didn't have much anime, save for what Carl Sagan was showing (about 2-4 titles per year were licensed in the US), if you liked subs, you liked 'em. If not then it was okay, because we didn't really have any room to complain.

Ahh... the old days.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts