Toon Zone Talkback - "Ghost Stories": So Funny It's Scary

Latest News & Videos

CatChancey

Feb 11, 2009
USA
This is the talkback thread for "Ghost Stories": So Funny It's Scary.

I don't know. Normally I hate this kind of humor, and I've never watched an anime outside of Pokémon when I was a kid, but something about this show just clicked.

Maybe because it wasn't meant to be funny in the original, or the relentless, non-stop, over the top, tasteless, racist, crude, explicit, yet oh-so-funny ad-libbed lines, but I "lol'd" in almost every episode.

My favorite runner bits were the Christian girl telling everyone they were going to hell, and all the teachers at the school being perverted pedophiles.

The whole thing is hosted on YouTube via the Anime network, so it's all perfectly legal. I know there's absolutely no chance of a second season due to the show bombing in Japan (hence the ridiculous dub), but the ending of the show left me wanting more.

garfield15

Member of the 10,000 post club
Feb 21, 2008
NY
You know, I keep hearing about this dub but for some reason, I always forget to check it out. This time for sure, I'm going on YT and watching it.

Mesousa

Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy
Dec 24, 2008
Cayey, Puerto Rico
Here's one thing not a lot of people joked on the dub.

The opening song.

It's all bubblegum poppy, so while it suits the original, it totally doesn't suit the dub. Like, at all.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Sep 3, 2006
Kansas
nachosconcarne.com
I remember that show. The makers hated it so much they gave it to ADV and said "go nuts."

This proved that not even Japanese animators were above ripping off Scooby Doo. I imagine some of the jokes wouldn't stand the test of time, but a lot of the dub is still hilarious.

"Think Brokeback Mountain." :lol:

anime_guru

show me your as-sets
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
there is a reason why this won best dub in 2006. It is easily one of my top 10 favorite dubs of all time. it is just that good.
Many of the actors ad libbed on dialog, and it worked. It really showed the cast had a lot of fun with this dub and so did we
I just finished watching it for the umpteenth millionth time and learning about that darn hatley or being saved by our lord Jesus Christ or checking out Jewish girls monthly.
My god hearing this dub just...ah screw it I'll watch it again!