Toon Disney was the most underrated and underappreciated kids network of all time.

Latest News & Videos

mqg96

Nov 26, 2014
Toon Disney launched 21 years and 1 day ago. I wanted to make a thread yesterday but I was so busy in school.

As most of us know, the 00's wasn't really a good decade for Disney animated movies with very few exceptions like Lilo & Stitch or The Emperor's New Groove. The 00's decade for Disney is mostly remembered for THE SKY IS FALLING lmao. The 00's was a weird transition from the traditional 2-D animation to 3-D CGI, so it was a mixed bag. The 00's decade for kid movies was about Pixar and Dreamworks.

Anyways, despite all of this, I'm sure a lot of us grew up with VHS tapes of the old Disney movies from the Silver Age (1950-1959), Bronze Age (1970-1988), and Renaissance era (1989-1999). Toon Disney was basically a network for all of those, but with many TV shows from those movies such as Tale Spin, Chip n' Dale, Timon & Pumbaa, 101 Dalmatians, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules, The Legend of Tarzan, New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh, and so forth, and there were also many animated shows from Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy as well, such as the classic Mickey Mouse cartoons, House of Mouse, Goof Troop, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, and so forth.

Toon Disney even had syndicated shows like the old Sonic The Hedgehog, Madeline, and Gummi Bears. The network also had ABC/One Saturday Morning era shows like House of Mouse (which was the best), Recess, Pepper Ann, Disney's Doug, Teamo Supremo, Teacher's Pet, Sabrina The Teenage Witch (the cartoon), Mary Kate and Ashley (the cartoon), Buzz Light Year of Star Command, The Weekenders, Fillmore, and so forth.

Toon Disney even had creative blocks too. On Fridays nights there was a movie block for all of the classic animated movies from all the ages which included the Direct to Video Disney sequels, The Land Before Time series, and Pixar movies. Toon Disney had other creative blocks, like Magical World of Toons, Princess Power Hour, Hangin' With the Heroes, and Chillin with the Villains.

Toon Disney was the most underrated network for kids IMO. Toon Disney was basically Disney's version of Cartoon Network when it was in its prime. No one ever talked about this like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, or even Disney Channel. Toon Disney was like Disney World in front of your TV screen for kids. Toon Disney had many good commercials for kids that were advertised just like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, and the network had a pretty dope website as well with all these games from the TV shows that aired.

I mainly watched Toon Disney between 2002 and 2004. That era was my favorite. I didn't watch it much during the 1998-2001 era but I wish I did, and that era looked pretty cool too. For someone who was born in the 90's and didn't experience Disney Afternoon, I have to thank Toon Disney for that unforgettable experience. Disney had so many iconic characters that they were able to fit all into one network with its movies and TV shows.

Jetix was an epic block too with Power Rangers, anime like Digimon & Beyblade, shows such as Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go, W.I.T.C.H., and classic Marvel cartoons from the 90's like Spider-Man and X-Men, but by 2005 Jetix started to take over Toon Disney's schedule, and Jetix is what Toon Disney was all about from 2005 up until the end of the station in 2009 when Disney XD took over. Toon Disney was kinda pointless by the time Jetix started taking over 80% of the schedule or more. When Jetix first launched in February 2004 it was only a weeknight block from 7pm up until 11pm and didn't take up that much space its first year.

It should have stayed like that, but Jetix had many fresh new action shows along with many old action shows, which is why it was more successful. Toon Disney just played reruns over and over, and a network reliant on reruns can't last forever. Thanks to Jetix, many classic shows were taken off the air with few exceptions while Toon Disney started airing current Disney Channel shows that could already be seen on Disney Channel itself. This was the beginning of the end for Toon Disney, and the network only got worse from there unfortunately. Jetix was great overall though, i'm not knocking that block over.

Toon Disney and Jetix ended in February 2009 and was replaced by Disney XD, and I believe Disney XD was created to combine Toon Disney and Jetix all into one, which was the right decision by that point. It was sad to see Toon Disney go, but it was already dead well before Disney XD launched. Disney XD's animated shows over the years have been really good, but its live-action shows not so much, but I'll leave the rest of the opinions to you all!

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I agree. I first got Toon Disney in the fall of 2001 and watched it pretty frequently for about a year or two. I did watch Digimom when it first came out, but I didn’t like how Jetix took over the place. I wish we still had the channel. There are so many great animated shows from Disney now.

Reactions: mqg96 and Zanneck

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
No, it wasn't. As far as I can remember everyone (justifiably) loved it and thought it was amazing. It was pretty far from underrated or unappreciated. .

Reactions: Zanneck

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I first got it in 1998, back when it was what our own Peter Paltridge called "The Disney Afternoon: The Channel". It was really special because almost everything Disney had done up to that point was on the schedule, including oddball stuff like The Wuzzles, Schnookums and Meat, Marsupalami and Raw Toonage. A lot of these shows haven't been easy to see since.

Disney+ has some mighty big shoes to fill.

Last edited:

mqg96

Nov 26, 2014
Wow, I didn't even know this existed! The rare hidden gems of Toon Disney right here! I wish I had done this when I was a little kid! This really represented Toon Disney's golden age right here.

The 2002 version of the Animated Kid Search is at the 3:09 mark of this video.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Pretty much all my favorite cartoons as a young child (1997-early 2003) were Disney. We never had Toon Disney or Disney Channel, just one cartoon each day, followed by a Walt Disney short.

As a child, I always wondered who that character at 00:21 was... They only aired Bonkers season 1 here apparently, just once (never seen it), but he was always in the intro.

Good ol' days. Always hoping they didn't air Quack Pack, Goof Troop or Gummi Bears that day, I never liked those XD
Toon Disney and Jetix ended in February 2009 and was replaced by Disney XD, and I believe Disney XD was created to combine Toon Disney and Jetix all into one, which was the right decision by that point.
Disney XD was created for 2 main reasons.
  1. In 2009, Disney gained full control over the Jetix brand worldwide and immediately wanted to "Disnefy" it.
  2. Disney wanted to try boy-oriented programs, as the success of Hannah Montana, High School Musical and Camp Rock had let to Disney Channel becoming a channel for girls.
I had Jetix for a short time. I definitely miss it. Not so much the channel itself (it had some good shows but oh well), mostly the impact it had on the European animation industry. Jetix was that one channel that distributed European action/adventure cartoons across Europe. Then it closed down and nothing replaced it. I don't see Disney XD as its replacement. Disney XD is just a Disney network.

If Disney hadn't bought Fox Kids and Jetix, then I think there would have been a lot more European action/adventure cartoons in the 2010s... Instead we got "Kick Buttowski" and cartoons that would have otherwise aired on Disney Channel like "Star vs", "Gravity Falls" etc.

Reactions: Zanneck

mqg96

Nov 26, 2014
Disney XD was created for 2 main reasons.
  1. In 2009, Disney gained full control over the Jetix brand worldwide and immediately wanted to "Disnefy" it.
  2. Disney wanted to try boy-oriented programs, as the success of Hannah Montana, High School Musical and Camp Rock had let to Disney Channel becoming a channel for girls
I forget that you're from another country. The way networks are handled in America (where it originates from first) are always done differently elsewhere. In the U.S. when Jetix premiered in 2004 it was originally an evening block for only a few hours then it switched back to Toon Disney right away. Jetix throughout its first year was no different than any other Toon Disney block for a few hours, but starting in 2005 Jetix started adding more new shows and gaining popularity, which led to the expansion of its hours and there was less and less Toon Disney.

I believe towards the end of Toon Disney's run in the U.S. Jetix was 14 hours and Toon Disney was only 10 hours or something like that. When Disney XD premiered in 2009 here in the U.S. a lot of the shows that were on Jetix and the modern shows from Toon Disney remained on the schedule along with the Disney XD originals that came along. I would argue that the Disney XD feel was already there in 2008 the year before the network even launched, especially when Suite Life of Zack & Cody reruns were added on TOON Disney, and Phineas & Ferb was on Toon Disney towards the end of its run too which premiered many new episodes on Disney XD.

About Disney XD being a network for boy oriented programs and Disney Channel being for girls, yeah I'm aware of that, but TBH Jetix on Toon Disney between 2005 and 2008 was already the male Disney station before Disney XD, so again, these are all reasons why I believe in the U.S. Disney XD was just one "simple" given name to combine all the programming from both Jetix and Toon Disney with a few changes added to it.

Looking back, I never understood why people complained about Disney XD's launch, when there was hardly any Toon Disney leftover and mostly Jetix programming that could still be seen during the early Disney XD years.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
Jetix Europe wasn't fully owned and run by Disney. Some countries had both Jetix and Toon Disney as separate channels.

I can get what you are saying from an American point of view, but from the moment Disney completely owned Jetix, they got rid of the brand.

Disney XD USA might be a mixture of Toon Disney USA and Jetix USA, but Disney XD Europe had a lot less anime and European programs and a lot more Disney cartoons and series.

Reactions: mqg96

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long