"Tom & Jerry Time" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
A new Tom & Jerry show is in the works for the Cartoonito preschool block on Cartoon Network and HBO Max.

Tom and Jerry Junior (working title) – Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, Tom and Jerry Junior is a series of animated musical shorts introducing the beloved cat and mouse duo to preschoolers with an educational twist. Classic Tom and Jerry hijinks – chasing, pranking, outsmarting each other – set an entertaining and hilarious backdrop while a core learning curriculum, based in education and essential readiness research, turns the world created by the biggest rivalry in all of animation into a fun and playful cartoon classroom.

EDIT 09/03: The series is now called Tom & Jerry Time.

Comments?

Last edited:

JMTV Studios

I already talked about Tom and Jerry in another thread, but I'll just bring it up here:

Well as for Tom and Jerry Junior? (sighs) Why you gotta make Tom and Jerry Kids 2.0? As a kid, I wasn't too crazy about Tom and Jerry Kids Show when I watching on Boomerang and it wasn't as memorable compared to the Hanna Barbara theatrical shorts. So I had a feeling that this will might become a retread.

I thought the concept looks similar to tom & Jerrys kids
From the looks of it, yeah.

TsWade2

Even though I did watch Tom and Jerry Kids as a kid, but I also watch the original Tom and Jerry cartoons. But why make Tom and Jerry preschool friendly? First Mickey Mouse, then soon Looney Tunes, and now Tom and Jerry. What are they going to do? Have Tom and Jerry play tea party? Egads! :rolleyes:

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a whole, I don't have an issue with companies making preschool shows based on established properties, but in Tom and Jerry's case, I'm not sure how they can pull it off. I've always thought of it as something a parent wouldn't want their preschool age kid to watch, even when the violence gets toned down. They could make them friends again, but it doesn't sound like they'll be doing that here. I've seen people mention Tom and Jerry Kids, but that felt more like a general kids show to me. If they can actually pull it off, I'll be impressed, but right now I don't know.

hobbyfan

As a whole, I don't have an issue with companies making preschool shows based on established properties, but in Tom and Jerry's case, I'm not sure how they can pull it off. I've always thought of it as something a parent wouldn't want their preschool age kid to watch, even when the violence gets toned down. They could make them friends again, but it doesn't sound like they'll be doing that here. I've seen people mention Tom and Jerry Kids, but that felt more like a general kids show to me. If they can actually pull it off, I'll be impressed, but right now I don't know.

WarnerMedia is unwilling to commit to original ideas or properties for CN's new pre-school block. They're figuring the kids will respond better to familiar brands they've seen in stores with their parents (i.e. Tom & Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes), and they could be right about that.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
WarnerMedia is unwilling to commit to original ideas or properties for CN's new pre-school block. They're figuring the kids will respond better to familiar brands they've seen in stores with their parents (i.e. Tom & Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes), and they could be right about that.
I see we're not talking about Mush Mush, Bea's Block, or Ladybird Lu...

Anyways, the press release says that it's going to be a bunch of several educational musical shorts, and (thankfully) the rivalry will be kept. Still, the question on my mind, as is everyone else's, is WHY THE HECK IS TOM AND JERRY GOING TO BE A PRESCHOOL SHOW? At least with Looney Tunes, it has potential because it wasn't just about slapstick- a lot of the fun was in the characters and their personalities, which could reasonably be translated to a preschooler friendly format. From what I've seen of Baby Looney Tunes(one half hour episode and a few clips), they seem to have kept them with Bugs being as calm and collected as he usually is(okay, slightly less, but to be fair, he is an infant this time) and Daffy already being his traditional greedy self. The images of Bugs Bunny Builders once again have Bugs as cool headed, this time leading the construction crew. Daffy, meanwhile, has clearly shifted into his 1940s screwball persona that has come back in style in recent years, and Porky(now in the main crew) appears to have inherited his slightly more nervous and meek(I say slightly because he was already that to begin with) persona from the 2011 series. These characters work in both the "adult" classic cartoons and the preschool shows because of their distinct personalities.

Now look back to Tom and Jerry, where... WHAT PERSONALITIES? Cat wants to eat mouse, mouse brutally beats up cat, dog sometimes beats up cat as well. That is the extent of Tom and Jerry's characterization most of the time. And when you try to change that, you get the 1990s Tom and Jerry movie. Now, granted, a younger skewing, educational version of a violent chase series COULD work. In the 1970s, Chuck Jones created several educational, non-violent Road Runner shorts for PBS's The Electric Company, made to teach kids how to read. And they were actually kind of funny and understood what little personalities the characters had. But Tom and Jerry is far more violent than Road Runner, and there's very little humor other than slapstick(Road Runner cartoons, meanwhile, feature more varied, often surreal humor- the constant defiance of gravity and the painted on tunnel that Road Runner can run through anyway are just two examples), so they have a far smaller chance.

Typing that made me want a series of Road Runner shorts for Cartoonito, centered on learning different languages(one of Cartoonito's goals, according to Ascheim).

JMTV Studios

Typing that made me want a series of Road Runner shorts for Cartoonito, centered on learning different languages(one of Cartoonito's goals, according to Ascheim).
Yeah, why can't we get that instead? At this point, Tom and Jerry already warn out it's welcome...

SweetShop209

Here's the article about the series. The showrunner is Will Finn. He was one of the creative forces on The Tom And Jerry Show from 2014. The show's story editor is Denise Downer. She worked a bit on that show too, but she was a very good resume, working on shows like Stillwater, Sheriff Callie's Wild West, Power Rangers, Avengers Assemble, the 2015 DC Superhero Girls, and Puppy Dog Pals.

J10

The characters are looking like the regular Tom & Jerry, as they’re neither younger, nor being kids. They are different from Tom & Jerry Kids.

SweetShop209

According to Scott O'Brien, the character designs were done by Genevieve Tsai. She's also done character designs for the Animaniacs revival.

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Okay, I admit, that was very interesting. As much as I hate it when it's aim for preschoolers,

"When (Tom & Jerry) are aimed at preschoolers"? That statement doesn't make a lot of sense. This is T&J's first ever foray into preschool territory, and It's not like we're being forced to look at it. If little kids find it appealing, what's the harm? Just because WB is making Tom & Jerry segments for tiny tots doesn't mean they're going to stop making T&J stuff for general audiences.
but thank God it's not like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I've never seen any of the Disney Junior Mickey Mouse shows (aside from short clips on YouTube), so I can't speak to their quality, except to say that it's hard for adults to judge the merits of kids' shows, since often what children view as quality entertainment will drive adults mad, but clearly the Mickey Mouse preschool shows have fans, otherwise the studio wouldn't keep making more of them. Case in point, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was a couple of series ago, I know that much; I believe the latest series is Mickey Mouse Funhouse.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm wondering what episode in season 3 this is. Nancy wanting to go to Paris is the goal she's been working up to since day 1. That warrants a special, which season 3 starts out with. However, the plot of the premiere involves making a movie, which doesn't seem to leave room to show off Paris.

Great to be back here.
Heyo! It's good to back again after three days of the forums' downtime.
animesuperhero site is back!

Featured Posts