"Tom & Jerry (2021)" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss the movie!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 14.3%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A major commotion picture!
Tom & Jerry
Release Date - February 26, 2021 in Theaters and on HBO Max (available for 31 days)

Synopsis: One of the most beloved rivalries in history is reignited when Jerry moves into New York City’s finest hotel on the eve of “the wedding of the century,” forcing the event’s desperate planner to hire Tom to get rid of him, in director Tim Story’s Tom & Jerry. The ensuing cat and mouse battle threatens to destroy her career, the wedding and possibly the hotel itself. But soon, an even bigger problem arises: a diabolically ambitious staffer conspiring against all three of them.

An eye-popping blend of classic animation and live action, Tom and Jerry’s new big-screen adventure stakes new ground for the iconic characters and forces them to do the unthinkable… work together to save the day.

Tom & Jerry
stars Chloë Grace Moretz (Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, The Addams Family), Michael Peña (Cesar Chavez, American Hustle, Ant-Man), Rob Delaney (Deadpool 2, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw), Colin Jost (How to be Single, Saturday Night Live), and Ken Jeong (Crazy Rich Asians, The Hangover, Transformers: Dark of the Moon). The film is directed by Tim Story (Fantastic Four, Think Like a Man, Barbershop) and produced by Chris DeFaria (The LEGO Movie 2, Ready Player One, Gravity).

It is written by Kevin Costello, based on characters created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. Serving as executive producers are Tim Story, Adam Goodman, Steven Harding, Sam Register, Jesse Ehrman, and Allison Abbate. The creative filmmaking team includes director of photography Alan Stewart, production designer James Hambidge, editor Peter S. Elliot, and costume designer Alison McCosh. The music is composed by Christopher Lennertz.

A Warner Bros. Pictures and Warner Animation Group presentation, a Tim Story Film, Tom & Jerry will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures.

*The film is rated PG for cartoon violence, rude humor and brief language.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Related links
:
"Tom & Jerry (2021)" Feature Film News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

"Tom & Jerry" Special Shorts on HBO Max Talkback (Spoilers)
"Tom & Jerry Junior" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Perla Magica

Digital Love
The movie was pretty ok, it's not great but it was a least watchable.

The good things about the movie: the animation of the characters was fluid, small gags references from 30's/40's shorts and... Yup, that's pretty much about it.

I'm not a big fan of the wedding plot, I thought the plot of this movie will be something else aside the wedding and making a mess, but on the other hand it was nice to see Tom and Jerry hanging out together in Manhattan (and having own Instagram). I'm thinking that "Tom and Jerry in Big City" will be a follow-up series since the movie itself takes place in big city.

Pooky

Staff member
I gave it 2 1/2 Stars. Part of me wanted to give it 3 stars, because I think there's some good stuff here and I think some of the reviews have been a little harsh. But honestly even 2 1/2 is a little generous; it just doesn't work as a whole.

The human stuff is as bland as you'd expect; it's not awful or hard to watch or anything, and I got a couple of mild chuckles, but towards the end I couldn't care about the characters anywhere near as much as the film asks me to. Tom & Jerry and the other animated characters fare better; good on them for more or less sticking with the classic designs and a 2D look, and Jerry has probably never been cuter, but I'd be lying if I said there were seven minutes in there that would compare favourably to any 40s/50s cartoon, or even that I'll remember a week from now. The balance between the two elements is off, to little surprise.

I remember reading that the film would start with Jerry living with an old couple who pass away, and he would be forced to find a new home after their house gets demolished (or something). I don't know if there was any truth to that, but it sounded rather sweet and would have helped make this a little more substantial I feel.

Overall, a 90+ minute Tom & Jerry movie is kind of an illogical proposition to start with, and I think they had a good go at making it work and made some good decisions another team may not have, but it just didn't come together. But I did like it more than Scoob, which seemed like a surer thing on paper.

Jonwo

How does the movie approach the whole cartoon animals in the real world?

TBH we know that trying to stretch Tom and Jerry to long form always yields mixed results as evident from the 90s movie to the various DTVs so the fact the live action/animated hybrid couldn't quite succeed doesn't surprise me.

Pooky

Staff member
It's pretty much the same as any movie with CGI Animals, they just look more traditionally cartoonish here. It's not explained, and personally I agree with that. One line suggests that cartoons exist in this world though, however that works.

Dudley

Staff member
How is it that Oggy and the Cockroaches can get a fully animated film focusing on just their antics, but Tom and Jerry can’t have a movie without some other plot featuring other characters.
Anyhoo, it was as good as I was expecting it to be. The animation was neat. Seeing all the other T&J characters was fun, plus all the nods to the original shorts. The live action plot was...alright. Completely unnecessary, but hey, I wasn’t expecting the movie to be great. It’s better than the 90’s film at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Today is the day, ladies and gentlemen. Tom and Jerry 2021 Movie has officially came out. I had a lot of colorful things to say about this film. So, let's get this over with.

Now, I went into this movie with VERY low expectations because the very concept of this flick is the most unoriginal ideas I've ever heard. Taking cartoon characters and put them into the real world. It's very cliche and I'm sick and tired of seeing the same concept over and over again. But then again, sometimes the concept can work if it was done right, like Sonic the Hedgehog 2020, Detective Pikachu, and to some extent Looney Tunes Back in Action, but those are just rare exceptions. I don't expected this movie to be bad, nor I don't expected this movie to be good, either. I expect this movie to be at least a fun Tom and Jerry movie that I can actually enjoy and it at least TRY to capture the spirit of the classic Hanna Barbara shorts.

So watch this movie on HBO Max on the day it premiered, all I can say is..............................................

(sighs)........it freakin' sucked.

I have never been this disappointed in a movie in my entire life. So congratulations, Warner Brothers. You had finally broke the streak.

However, it's not ALL horrible. There are some good things to like about this film and I'll give them points for their efforts.

First off, the animation of the Tom and Jerry characters was surprisingly good. It's fluid. It's fast. It's wacky, cartoony, and it was honestly on point. It actually does pays homage to the classic shorts.

Secondly, I do love the references and cameos of the classic Hanna Barbara shorts in this film. It has the classic characters that we all know and love. It brought back some of the classic gags and it's a lot of fun. Plus, it's awesome to see Tom's classic scream came back in this film. It's a nice touch.

And finally, THANK THE FREAKING LORD that this is not going to same route as the 1992 animated film. I'm so glad that Tom and Jerry did not talk in this film. I'll give this film credit for at least keeping Tom and Jerry what they are and not completely bastardized them. I'm kinda glad that this movie wasn't a complete rehash of the 1992 flick because I remember the original plot of the 2021 film feels like a complete rehash of the 1992 film.

Would I say Tom and Jerry 2021 is better than Tom and Jerry 1992? Absolutely. But then again, just because it's better doesn't mean it's good.

Now, let's talk about the things that I absolutely DESPISED in the 2021 film.

1.The characters. Besides Tom and Jerry, the live action characters are completely forgettable, completely piss-poor, and worst of all, they're not all that interesting. I was worried that Chloe Grace Mortez's character is gonna be Robyn 2.0 who's gonna be whiny and annoying, but thankfully it didn't happened. However, Chloe's character wasn't any better, either. She's very bland, very arrogant, and wasn't all that compelling as a character. Michael Pena's character is about as ridiculous as Mr. Lickboot. He's extremely over the top, unconvincing, and he feels like he doesn't want to be there. I wasn't a big fan of Ken Joeng's character all that much. He wasn't all that interesting. The rest of the characters are bland, and forgettable. No one stood out to me.

2. The story. The story is so by the numbers that makes it so unoriginal. I feel like watching another stereotypical live action/animation hybrid movie than a Tom and Jerry movie. The Wonderful World of Hollywood, ladies and gentlemen. It's so predictable and cliche that I can point out every single plot point that's happening in this movie. That's how bad it is. Not to mention with this whole wedding thing felt very padded it out. I knew exactly what's gonna happen with the wedding. It's gonna be disaster, there's gonna be conflict, and then we had to make up, and blah blah blah. BORING! I don't mind cliches as long as you put twists and turns to make it more interesting. But this plays it completely straight, that is not funny. Speaking of not funny.....

3. The humor. I know that comedy is subjective and there are some people out there who will find the gags funny. If you are, more power to you. For me, the humor is nothing more than just lowest common denominator garbage. It's not funny at all and it's so cringy that is just become a pain to sit through. It didn't help that this movie was filled with dated pop culture references, toilet humor, and dated lingo. It just ends up making the film looked completely unwatchable. Don't even get me started on Tom and Jerry doing the Fornite dance. Do they even know their audience they're aiming for?

4. The music. What was the purpose of having rap music in the movie? What, trying to hip with the kids? Get freaking real, the rap music serves NO PURPOSE in the flick. They were just there. There being cringy. Why they're there? Because boomer executives loves rap music and they think that the kiddies will love it. Newsflash: kids have different tastes in music, not just rap. So I don't know why it's a good idea to put rap music in this movie when you really don't need to. Just put classic music on there from the classic shorts. That's much more easy on the ears than this tryhard trash.

5. The overall presentation. To think that this movie is directed by the same guy who did those mediocre Fantastic Four films from the mid 2000's. I'm sorry Tim Story, but this movie doesn't do it for me. Was it as bad as the 1992 film? Hell no. I wouldn't go that far. Was it better than the direct to DVDs films? I would say yes, but that's hard to say considering that I don't think the comparison is completely fair.

However, I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but I think Tom and Jerry is worse than SCOOB. Yeah, I'm going there. Don't get me wrong, Scoob is a disappointing shitshow. I'm not gonna deny that, but at least with Scoob, it has a lot of potential with it's ambitious concept to fall back on, despite it got massively squandered in execution.

But this?! It has nothing. There's nothing memorable about it, the characters fells flat, the story plays off like a checklist, the humor was rather obnoxious than funny, and it feels like WB desperately wants to bring Tom and Jerry back into the spotlight again since the 90's, and it didn't work. Hell, even the good parts with the animation couldn't even save this whole movie. This is why Tom and Jerry should stay as shorts and not doing movies to begin with because how can you take a simple concept of a cat and a mouse chasing each other with cartoony slapstick and turn into something completely nonsensical and ridiculous? That's what I'm wondering.

With that said, eff this movie, I'll give Tom and Jerry a 1 1/2 out of 5 stars. It's an unnecessary waste of time and it's one of those movies that I'll never looking back on watching ever again.

If you're really curious to know about this movie, don't even bother. Just go watch Tom and Jerry Special Shorts on HBO Max. It's a much better adaptation of the classic duo than this big budget pile of tripe ever could. How come HBO Max didn't even advertise the new shorts, I'll never know.

So that's my opinion on it. Agree? Disagree? Let me know.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
i was also disappointed in it, but I guess I liked it a little more than you did. At least I wasn't bored senseless by the movie, though part of that may be because its hybrid nature kept me interested. The plot reminded me a lot of Dunston Checks In- an animal has to stay hidden/out of trouble in a fancy hotel before and during a big event.

People are going to compare this to Who Framed Roger Rabbit because of the medium blending, and when you compare the two, it's obvious which one had more effort put into it. WFRR was, and still is, a masterful blend of the two mediums- here, the live action and animated characters didn't interact that much (there are a lot of instances where the live action actor is merely looking somewhere and the animated characters are added later- not much interaction), so it felt like two different movies.

I did like how T&J didn't talk (save for the iconic William Hanna screams!), and their characterizations were fine, but none of their physical comedy made me laugh. Everything just flied around at a frenetic pace, and none of it was hard-hitting like the series is known for. And part of what made the old T&J shorts funny is when a character would temporarily deform (the example I always come back to is the "deflating head gag" in Just Ducky), which we didn't really see here.

Other humor similarly fell flat and was predictable. For example, when elephants were going to be part of the wedding, and Jerry had snuck back into the hotel, I knew the elephants would freak out at the sight of a mouse and wreck the place. Sure enough...

Most of the live action actors were not bad, just serviceable- though I was impressed with Chloë Grace Moretz in the lead role. She went through a wide range of expressions and moods in the film and was always enjoyable to watch. However, Ken Jeong is absolutely wasted as the lead chef- he is given literally nothing to work with. A shame, because he was so funny in Community.

The rap soundtrack... obviously didn't feel like classic T&J. To be fair, at this point the Scott Bradley style has been endlessly imitated so I didn't mind they were trying something new... it just wasn't my kind of music.

More thoughts later if I think of them.

powerjake

Banned
The movie thats way better than this trainwreck Tom and Jerry movie is Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

Atleast Back in Action can make Looney Tunes work unlike Tom and Jerry in a live-action/animated movie.

Last edited:

Moe

I watched this movie last night and it was fairly good, so I gave 4 out of 5 but... I'm disappointed that they didn't show more about cat gangs, especially my favorite cat named Clyde from Tom and Jerry Kids and it should be more themes, not just limited to hotel and NYC only. I'm impressed with their artwork but they could done much more to entertain us.

Rabbitearsblog

Just watched the movie last night and I thought it was okay. I really loved the way that Tom and Jerry looked and it was nice of the film to have them remain faithful to their original roots. However, I didn't care much for the human characters as they were flat and the plot doesn't seem like a good fit for Tom and Jerry. But, I still had fun with this movie!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Tom And Jerry (2021)

I am a little surprised. I had an intensely negative reaction as I was watching that. But what shocks me is that I am going to wind up giving it a far more generous grade than it deserves. Because it ended correctly. I don't think a lot of people really care about good endings anymore. A blockbuster can end any which way, and people will accept it so long as the tag teasing the next Marvel movie is enticing. I was increasingly angry and frustrated during the entire movie, and what I appreciated about the ending is that it addressed my frustrations, and made their resolution a part of the story.

As I was watching it I was like, "Oh, this is 2021's version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012." Like this movie, that TV show was on the surface acceptably made, and sort of funny and clever in places. And yet every single story decision it ever made was wrong. It just got worse and worse as it went along, because the writers had no clue how to write a long-running cartoon. Culminating in the worst animated series finale in television history. And likewise every mistake this movie made got me angrier and angrier. And I was getting fed up.

I mean, this Kayla chicks walks into this fancy hotel off the street to steal food, scares a legit potential job applicant away by lying to her, steals her job by passing off her application as her own, and we're supposed to think her a mischievous little scamp because she's got the "cute white girl" deniability going for her. And Terence, a hotel worker of color, sees through her the entire time, and she manages to get him fired for the crime of being right about her all along. I was like, "Karen is the hero of this movie."

And then Terence takes a dark turn in sabotaging the wedding he was fired from, and essentially Kayla fixes things by doing the mea culpa about how Terence was right, and she lied on her application. Better yet, the next day when she tries to restart the wedding after the bride breaks off the engagement, she takes Terence aside, tells him Tom and Jerry told her the butt moves he pulled on them and her to ruin the wedding, and that she wasn't mad or going to tell anyone. Terence is not off the hook for what he did. But Kayla is choosing discretion about it because her hands aren't clean either. The movie ends with the couple (who in my opinion is actually all wrong for each other) getting married, Kayla, Tom, and Jerry being rehired at the hotel, and Kayla calling back the British lady she tricked in for a real job interview while sparks fly between the lady and Terence. Every feeling of loathing and disgust I felt for Kayla as I was watching the movie was addressed and atoned for. So I will have a better impression of the movie in my memory than I did having to sit through it. That was not a fun experience. But I probably won't remember that a year from now, and only judge the movie based on it's responsible ending.

Random thoughts:

I suspect this movie is going to get a lot of smack talked about how Tom and Jerry are supposed to be the stars of the movie, and about 2/3rds of it is actually focused on Kayla's loser drama instead. Let me state something controversial: There were a LOT of things wrong with the movie. That wasn't one of them. Believe it or not, movies like this ARE made on a budget, and live-action combined with animation is super expensive. It was filmed in Quebec and England for tax purposes, so they clearly had to pick and choose how to utilize the cat and mouse, and save them more for the second half of the movie. Roger Rabbit wasn't the main character in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" either. I think a lot of modern audiences have gotten spoiled by Hollywood throwing $200 million dollars at a screen and showing everything. Not every movie is allowed that. Frankly, I don't think every movie SHOULD be allowed that, or even NEED that, if it's good. Granted, the movie isn't actually good. But I think audiences have gotten a little TOO spoiled as far as visuals effects go. This movie and movies like it should be allowed to have more moderate budgets and compromise by centering them on the live-action humans. I don't like it, but I understand it. Give it a break about this one thing. Otherwise we'll NEVER get more live-action animated 2-D hybrids, because they'd be unfeasible due to their expense. I'll live with this, even if I don't like Kayla herself. I liked Eddie Valiant just fine.

Droopy as Hannibal Lecter. Yes, please. More of that.

Terence actually think Kayla was serious about the fish. That joke hit me wrong because nobody should be THAT stupid.

Speaking of which, the crowd turning against Tom when realizing that the cat playing the piano wasn't blind was stupid. I realize the stupidity of that reaction is the joke, but what it actually is is a stupid joke, whether it knows it is or not. Being self-aware doesn't up its smartness any. It's super dumb.

I like Ben calling Spike a little animated. I see what he did there.

Speaking of which, the only reason I could think of as to why the rapping pigeons were in the beginning of the movie, was to utterly confuse me. I am a grown adult. Stuff like that that little kids might respond to (like Pokemon) completely confounds me. I might be an animation lover, but I have an adult's reaction to stuff like that. I don't simply nod my head and say "Wow, the differences between how Ash is lecturing his friends on the best ways to nurture various Pokemon personalities make total sense, and doesn't actually sound as if this show is written by insane people for stupid people." I am actually as annoyed as an adult should be by that cartoon. And I got a similar scowl on my face over the pigeons. What the frak?

I don't mind the hiphop / rap soundtrack though. Dude of color directed the movie? Go for it! Why not?

I like Jerry using the phone as a big-screen TV.

I also like Spike re-entering the room and hitting Tom over the head with a bat because he saw him again.

Spike taking a dump. Ugh. Have I mentioned I sincerely hate PG-rated animated films? They HAVE to add that stuff to get the PG rating, and the proceedings might not be half as annoying if they didn't. Shrek has done serious damage to the pop culture landscape. It's time it was held to account for it.

One last thing. I might have accepted the world where animals are cartoons. Except seeing the dead fish at the warehouse raises questions for me instead. Are humans actually eating cartoon meat when they have a hamburger? Are portions of their feces animated when they stool? And if all animals are cartoons does that mean they are all sentient like Tom and Jerry? Isn't it totally unethical for humans to eat them then? It would be like dining on gorillas who know sign language. I mean Tom and Jerry can both read and write. We sure those dead fish couldn't? I don't like seeing those dead fish because I would have accepted this premise and not asked myself these gross questions if I hadn't.

If you ask me today, I'll tell you the movie sucked and to avoid it. You ask me how I feel about it a year from now my memory will almost certainly be warmer because of the ending. **1/2.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Tom And Jerry (2021)

I am a little surprised. I had an intensely negative reaction as I was watching that. But what shocks me is that I am going to wind up giving it a far more generous grade than it deserves. Because it ended correctly. I don't think a lot of people really care about good endings anymore. A blockbuster can end any which way, and people will accept it so long as the tag teasing the next Marvel movie is enticing. I was increasingly angry and frustrated during the entire movie, and what I appreciated about the ending is that it addressed my frustrations, and made their resolution a part of the story.

As I was watching it I was like, "Oh, this is 2021's version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012." Like this movie, that TV show was on the surface acceptably made, and sort of funny and clever in places. And yet every single story decision it ever made was wrong. It just got worse and worse as it went along, because the writers had no clue how to write a long-running cartoon. Culminating in the worst animated series finale in television history. And likewise every mistake this movie made got me angrier and angrier. And I was getting fed up.

I mean, this Kayla chicks walks into this fancy hotel off the street to steal food, scares a legit potential job applicant away by lying to her, steals her job by passing off her application as her own, and we're supposed to think her a mischievous little scamp because she's got the "cute white girl" deniability going for her. And Terence, a hotel worker of color, sees through her the entire time, and she manages to get him fired for the crime of being right about her all along. I was like, "Karen is the hero of this movie."

And then Terence takes a dark turn in sabotaging the wedding he was fired from, and essentially Kayla fixes things by doing the mea culpa about how Terence was right, and she lied on her application. Better yet, the next day when she tries to restart the wedding after the bride breaks off the engagement, she takes Terence aside, tells him Tom and Jerry told her the butt moves he pulled on them and her to ruin the wedding, and that she wasn't mad or going to tell anyone. Terence is not off the hook for what he did. But Kayla is choosing discretion about it because her hands aren't clean either. The movie ends with the couple (who in my opinion is actually all wrong for each other) getting married, Kayla, Tom, and Jerry being rehired at the hotel, and Kayla calling back the British lady she tricked in for a real job interview while sparks fly between the lady and Terence. Every feeling of loathing and disgust I felt for Kayla as I was watching the movie was addressed and atoned for. So I will have a better impression of the movie in my memory than I did having to sit through it. That was not a fun experience. But I probably won't remember that a year from now, and only judge the movie based on it's responsible ending.

Random thoughts:

I suspect this movie is going to get a lot of smack talked about how Tom and Jerry are supposed to be the stars of the movie, and about 2/3rds of it is actually focused on Kayla's loser drama instead. Let me state something controversial: There were a LOT of things wrong with the movie. That wasn't one of them. Believe it or not, movies like this ARE made on a budget, and live-action combined with animation is super expensive. It was filmed in Quebec and England for tax purposes, so they clearly had to pick and choose how to utilize the cat and mouse, and save them more for the second half of the movie. Roger Rabbit wasn't the main character in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" either. I think a lot of modern audiences have gotten spoiled by Hollywood throwing $200 million dollars at a screen and showing everything. Not every movie is allowed that. Frankly, I don't think every movie SHOULD be allowed that, or even NEED that, if it's good. Granted, the movie isn't actually good. But I think audiences have gotten a little TOO spoiled as far as visuals effects go. This movie and movies like it should be allowed to have more moderate budgets and compromise by centering them on the live-action humans. I don't like it, but I understand it. Give it a break about this one thing. Otherwise we'll NEVER get more live-action animated 2-D hybrids, because they'd be unfeasible due to their expense. I'll live with this, even if I don't like Kayla herself. I liked Eddie Valiant just fine.

Droopy as Hannibal Lecter. Yes, please. More of that.

Terence actually think Kayla was serious about the fish. That joke hit me wrong because nobody should be THAT stupid.

Speaking of which, the crowd turning against Tom when realizing that the cat playing the piano wasn't blind was stupid. I realize the stupidity of that reaction is the joke, but what it actually is is a stupid joke, whether it knows it is or not. Being self-aware doesn't up its smartness any. It's super dumb.

I like Ben calling Spike a little animated. I see what he did there.

Speaking of which, the only reason I could think of as to why the rapping pigeons were in the beginning of the movie, was to utterly confuse me. I am a grown adult. Stuff like that that little kids might respond to (like Pokemon) completely confounds me. I might be an animation lover, but I have an adult's reaction to stuff like that. I don't simply nod my head and say "Wow, this differences between how Ash is lecturing his friends on the best ways to nurture various Pokemon personalities make total sense, and doesn't actually sound as if this show is written by insane people for stupid people." I am actually as annoyed as an adult should be by that cartoon. And I got a similar scowl on my face over the pigeons. What the frak?

I don't mind the hiphop / rap soundtrack though. Dude of color directed the movie? Go for it! Why not?

I like Jerry using the phone as a big-screen TV.

I also like Spike re-entering the room and hitting Tom over the head with a bat because he saw him again.

Spike taking a dump. Ugh. Have I mentioned I sincerely hate PG-rated animated films? They HAVE to add that stuff to get the PG rating, and the proceedings might not be half as annoying if they didn't. Shrek has done serious damage to the pop culture landscape. It's time it was held to account for it.

One last thing. I might have accepted the world where animals are cartoons. Except seeing the dead fish at the warehouse raises questions for me instead. Are humans actually eating cartoon meat when they have a hamburger? Are portions of their feces animated when they stool? And if all animals are cartoons does that mean they are all sentient like Tom and Jerry? Isn't it totally unethical for humans to eat them then? It would be like dining on gorillas who know sign language. I mean Tom and Jerry can both read and write. We sure those dead fish couldn't? I don't like seeing those dead fish because I would have accepted this premise and not asked myself these gross questions if I hadn't.

If you ask me today, I'll tell you the movie sucked and to avoid it. You ask me how I feel about it a year from now my memory will almost certainly be warmer because of the ending. **1/2.
Well said. ;)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Thanks, man.

Let me briefly address the part of your review I disagree with.
4. The music. What was the purpose of having rap music in the movie? What, trying to hip with the kids? Get freaking real, the rap music serves NO PURPOSE in the flick. They were just there. There being cringy. Why they're there? Because boomer executives loves rap music and they think that the kiddies will love it. Newsflash: kids have different tastes in music, not just rap. So I don't know why it's a good idea to put rap music in this movie when you really don't need to. Just put classic music on there from the classic shorts. That's much more easy on the ears than this tryhard trash.
It's not because the director is trying to be hip with the kids. It's because the director actually digs rap music. I am not a fan of that specific genre, but that is a legit reason for a director to include it.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Thanks, man.
Your welcome.

It's not because the director is trying to be hip with the kids. It's because the director actually digs rap music. I am not a fan of that specific genre, but that is a legit reason for a director to include it.
Okay, fair enough. I'm not a big fan of it either, but I can see why he had to include it.

Pooky

Staff member
I think you could make a case that hip-hop is the modern equivalent of big band music. It's not my scene either, but I didn't mind most of it here, although I had to mute the end credits song because that one did sound awful to me.

The Cher\Daft Punk levels of autotune on Tom's piano ballad though? That I don't get.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
The ending did redeem the questionable things Kayla did at the start of the movie, I do agree with that. I don't think it makes up for the rest of the movie's mediocre material but it was welcome nonetheless.

Jonwo

It did $13.7m at the US box office which in normal times would be a disaster but considering it opened at a time when the major markets are not opened yet and it’s on HBO Max, that’s a win and it could have a very good drop or even increase since NY reopens on Friday.

powerjake

Banned
Funny how this movie got negative reviews as Tom and Jerry are too boring and one note to have a movie like this just for them to be slapped into the background. The human characters felt like they came from a very different movie.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts